Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record (16205 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks 11-year-old's Wrist With Nasty Free Kick / Cristiano Ronaldo's Free-Kick Breaks Boy's Wrist In Friendly Match / La Liga - Ronaldo Breaks Opponent's Nose - Reuters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by eruudy(m): 9:46pm On May 21, 2011
The Portuguese star has now officially broken the Spanish league record for the most goals scored in a campaign after he found the net on the final day against Almeria

Find the best odds and bet on La Liga.
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has etched his name into Spanish football history after becoming the first player to score more than 38 goals in a single league season en route to the Pichichi trophy.

In his 34th league game of the 2010-11 campaign, the Portuguese sensation found the target for the 39th time on the final day against Almeria at the Santiago Bernabeu.

It took just four minutes for him to bag the historic goal when he stabbed the ball home from close range at the back post after Sergio Ramos had headed a Xabi Alonso free kick across goal.

He now officially surpasses previous record holders Telmo Zarra and Hugo Sanchez, who both amassed 38 goals in 30 and 35 league games respectively.

However, Marca, who awards the Pichichi trophy, has credited Ronaldo with 40 goals for his free kick effort against Real Socieded in September which Spain’s National Professional Football League (LFP) gave to team-mate Pepe.

Ronaldo's strike against Almeria was also his 51st in all competitions and he now has the chance to equal or overtake Barcelona forward Lionel Messi's tally of 52 competitive goals this season, a record for a player in Spanish football.

Here are the seven highest goalscorers in a single season in La Liga:

MOST GOALS IN A SINGLE SEASON

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) 2010-11 39 
2. Telmo Zarra (Athletic Bilbao) 1950-51 38
- Hugo Sanchez (Real Madrid) 1989-90 38
3. Baltazar (Atletico Madrid) 1988-89 35
4. Hugo Sanchez (Real Madrid) 1986-87 34
- Ronaldo (Barcelona) 1996-97 34
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) 2009-10 34

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2011/05/21/2497188/real-madrids-cristiano-ronaldo-breaks-pichichi-record-to

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by Ibomade1: 10:12pm On May 21, 2011
This guy is amazing. He can score with both legs, good in the air and dangerous in dead ball situations

All rise in honour of CR40 goals a season, Made in Portugal, tested in England and delivered in Spain.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by eruudy(m): 10:15pm On May 21, 2011
The guy is absolutely talented , You can imagine how many times he rolled the ball into the net just the last 3 la liga games , Absolutely stunning , If there is to be a new legend i reckon he is ,
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by Ibomade1: 10:17pm On May 21, 2011
^^ Yes I believe he scored 11 times in the last 4 games. To think that he is not even an out-and-out striker makes it remarkable.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by snowdrops(m): 10:36pm On May 21, 2011
his team mates contributed a lot in achieving this feat. they wanted him to break that record and made sure he had the ball in scoring positions.

Good on him though.

but messi remains the king. he has been resting for the champs league final, if not we all know what he would have been capable of.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by aieromon(m): 11:07pm On May 21, 2011
Phreaking wrecking machine,i doff my hat for you.This is no mean feat and you've proved your proficiency in England and Spain.

CR7,take a bow!!!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by dipo2much(m): 4:37am On May 22, 2011
^
Na so o. He is a living legend. 39 goals in 34 games is legendary
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by snowdrops(m): 8:01am On May 22, 2011
dipo2much:

^
Na so o. He is a living legend. 39 goals in 34 games is legendary
40 goals
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by medjai(m): 8:49am On May 22, 2011
Of the 40 goals, 10 were penalties, 11 were scored in dead rubber matches, i.e, when Barca had already won the league. . . freaking overrated player
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by snowdrops(m): 9:26am On May 22, 2011
medjai:

Of the 40 goals, 10 were penalties, 11 were scored in dead rubber matches, i.e, when Barca had already won the league. . . freaking overrated player
spot on; as i mentioned in an earlier post, its a great feat for ronaldo, but people have to see it in a broader context.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by dipo2much(m): 9:50am On May 22, 2011
Stop whining. Makes u sound like a girl.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by montelik(m): 10:52am On May 22, 2011
Is it too hard for some pple to just say well done and leave it at that, even you no like d boy. If d title of d thread had alleged he is best player on planet earth, or said he is G.O.A.T (greatest of all time), then I would understand trying to criticize or diminish his achievement. But d thread simply recognizes d fact, that he has broken a long standing record with another quality season. 40 goals is 40 goals, if it wasn't significant others would be doing it in d La Liga every other season.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by 4Play(m): 10:56am On May 22, 2011
medjai:

So why haven't other strikers, many of whom took penalties and played dead rubber games, surpassed his goals tally? Surely, if 40 league goals in 1 season is not such a big deal, many would have achieved it by now.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by usbcable(m): 11:45am On May 22, 2011
medjai:

why are you fond of lying nowadays?
it was 8 penalties.
and we his admirers just want to celebrate his achievements.
the league was more or less won by barca when we drew in the second leg, but the boys took on another challenge which was achieved with style and determination and pin point dedication.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by usbcable(m): 11:57am On May 22, 2011
btw,
if in those worthless matches Messi scored 10 goals would we be saying he scored 10 worthless goals?
hell yeah no.
we all would be saying a new record had been made, and not all this ''holistic'' analysis of a simple achievement.
tsheeeeew.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by medjai(m): 12:30pm On May 22, 2011
usbcable:

why are you fond of lying nowadays?
it was 8 penalties.
and we his admirers just want to celebrate his achievements.
the league was more or less won by barca when we drew in the second leg, but the boys took on another challenge which was achieved with style and determination and pin point dedication.
It was 9 penalties before he scored another penalty in the 6-2 defeat of Sevilla
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by omodapson(m): 12:32pm On May 22, 2011
medjai:

Who is talking about overrated players Achievement is being recognized dude. This guy, whether good or bad was the first to score 40 goals in a la liga season! Simply amazing even if all the goals came in a single match. How many players can do this in La liga? At the last count, there was just one, RONALDO!!!

I'm no fan of Ronaldo but I recognize it when milestone is reached.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by Ibomade1: 5:54pm On May 22, 2011
Penalty is still a goal. I am pretty sure Messi scored a couple of them too.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by switch47(m): 6:30pm On May 22, 2011
@ibo-made
you dey mind them? C RONALDO has scored a record 40 goals e no get wetin dem haters wan talk.the guy holds the record. C RONALDO ROCKS!!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by coogar: 8:15pm On May 22, 2011
Ibo-made:

Penalty is still a goal. I am pretty sure Messi scored a couple of them too.

arsenal could have eliminated barcelona without messi scoring a penalty against the gunners.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by OAM4J: 7:30am On May 23, 2011
Good for him.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by eruudy(m): 8:00am On May 23, 2011
Penalty or not , Its still goals, Atleast when some one does the unthinkable like this he deserves commendation not condemnation , Haba some ppl need to grow ooo , Berbatov scored 21 goals with no penalty but Tevez scored same with some penalties but they both are joint top scorer , Penalty or not ROnaldo is wickedly fantastic , Jeezzz
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by RiffRaff: 8:11am On May 23, 2011
D Barcelona Fans are so Jelous, Get over it Cr9 is d Bomb.

Messi:
Matches Played (54)
No of Goals (52)

C. Ronaldo
Matches Played (54)
No of Goals (53) + there is a Debate about 1 of his Goal dat d Ref gave 2 Pepe. If Not his total wud b (54)

He is Played (63) games for Real Madrid & has Scored (66).

Of al d Leagues in Europe & d World he is d Player wit d Highest No of Goals this Season.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by omo9ja1(m): 8:15am On May 23, 2011
omo mi Ronaldo show them I wish you will come back to United and score more goals, haters go hangsad bad belle people full here -_-
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by doublekay: 8:31am On May 23, 2011
though real didnt lift the spanish league they have 4 sure proven a point
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by Skii(m): 8:38am On May 23, 2011
Make the guy complete im tour

make e go italy, make we see how far, !
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by md4real(m): 8:59am On May 23, 2011
i dont like the guy, buh he surely deserves to be praised.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by fxtopedia(m): 9:15am On May 23, 2011
Some haters would not appreciate good thing, Ride CR
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by adeshsam(m): 9:37am On May 23, 2011
NO doubt, CR7 a skillful player, for him to have scored 40goals in Laligo, it shows the quality in Him, kudos 2HIM.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by donobi(m): 9:44am On May 23, 2011
@skii tell messi to go to other leagues and perform, ronaldo has proven itself. To me he's better than messi.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by mrofficial(m): 9:58am On May 23, 2011
donobi:

@skii tell messi to go to other leagues and perform, ronaldo has proven itself. To me he's better than messi.

Correct!!!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Pichichi Record by MMM2(m): 10:00am On May 23, 2011
dat guy is a good player,
just dat he run like a gay in d field.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arsenal Vs Lens UCL (6 - 0) On 29th November 2023 / Manchester United Vs Southampton (0 - 0) On 12th March 2023 / UCL: AC Milan Vs Arsenal (4 - 0) On 15th February 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.