Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,071 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's (1967 Views)

Major-General Olusegun Adeniyi Demoted By 3 Years Over Leaked Video / Yahaya Bello Flags Off Road In Kabba By 3 Am - Dino Melaye (Photos) / Abdulkarim Dauda's Retirement Year Extended By 3 Years By Buhari - DailyNigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Amanpo: 9:31am On Aug 31, 2021
OWEI LAKEMFAAUG 30, 2021

Adeola Soetan was a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority, NTA, Abeokuta when some young student leaders from the Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, Ile-Ife visited the station. Cladded in black, they came in connection with the annual commemoration of the June 7, 1981 massacre of six students in Ife by the police.

Adeola Soetan
The students looked so young, yet articulate and confident while being interviewed, that he decided in furthering his studies, to attend the OAU. So in 1986, he was admitted into the institution for a five -year course in Agriculture. He was aged 25.But when he got to the campus, the student union that attracted him, had been banned over protests against the student massacre at the Ahmadu Bello University, ABU.

On campus, he started writing and pasting articles why student unionism should be restored. His articles carried his name and room number. One day, two young students, Yinka Odumakin, later a national figure in Nigerian politics, and Kola Odetola visited and invited him to join a student journal,‘Ripples’. A month later, they invited him to a student seminar where he met young students discussing how to revive the student union and intelligently analysing national and international politics. That was how he joined the radical students movement.

About three months later, during the university convocation, the representative of the Visitor, Admiral Patrick Koshoni, was stoned by students protesting the trial for treason of eleven electricity senior staff who had gone on strike in protest against the neglect of their sector. Soetan was not present when this happened. He had attended an all-night social party the day before, and slept most of the day. So when Koshoni was stoned, he was sound asleep in his room. About 9.30pm, Odumakin and Odetola came to his room and asked whether he listened to the NTA Network News. No he hadn’t. So they informed him he was one of the students the university claimed to have identified stoning Koshoni and has therefore been rusticated indefinitely. He was just four months on campus!

Soetan an orphan since 19, was sponsoring himself in school with help from his sister, Rosalyn Soetan. She seemed so devastated and exclaimed: “How could you go and stone the Minister?” He replied: “ I did not stone the Minister, I was not even there.” She responded: “Ah! Iro ni”(Ah! It is a lie).

Soetan went to court to prove he was not physically present at the convocation and was not given any hearing. Also, to point out that three of the eight rusticated students were pen names, so how could the university claim people whose identity they do not know, were seen stoning the Minister? Additionally, that one of the remaining names, Seni Ajayi was served his rustication letter in Ondo whereas the person served had graduated and left the university! So, it was clearly a case of mistaken identity. Soetan lost the case but the reinvigorated student union asked the rusticated students to resume classes, and the university turned a blind eye.

In April 1990, Soetan was elected the student union President. Shortly afterwards, there were national student protests and the OAU students union was banned and the school closed down for one month.

Then there was an attempted coup in the country on April 22, 1990 and state security agents invaded the campus and abducted two lecturers, Professors Omotoye Olorode and Idowu Awopetu. In the process of spiriting the lecturers away, one of the agents in his car lagged behind, was apprehended by the students and beaten. The university authorities wanted to save the life of the security agent from the thousands of angry students, but could not persuade them, so they appealed to Soetan.

He asked in what capacity he was to intervene since the union had been banned. But the university denied the union was banned. So he spoke to the students and assured them that the union was capable of handling the situation. Later, the university wrote the students inviting them to meet government representatives who were threatening to storm the campus unless the agent was released. The students rejected the letter, insisting it should be properly addressed. Two hours later, the university unbanned the students union and returned with a letter addressed to the President of the students union. So the students agreed to the meeting. The security agent was released after spending 12 days in the students custody.

In 1991, the National association of Nigerian Students, NANS, ordered a nationwide students boycott of classes in furtherance of its demand for a N2,000 bursary for students and the right to education. When a student congress was called in OAU to mobilise for this protest, a cult group, the posted notices decreeing: “No Rally. No protest on campus. Be warned.” When Soetan led the student congress that held in Awolowo Hall, there were disturbances.

His supporters guided him to safety in his Room 273, Awolowo Hall. Then the armed cultists smashed his door, dragged him out, broke a flower vase on his head and brought him to the ground floor. It was at that point students realised what was going on and came to his rescue. The cultists broke into a run, fleeing into the hills. But one of them ran to the bar of the Student Union Building, SUB, from where he flung bottles at the students injuring a number. The students retaliated likewise and he was severely injured. He died while being taken to the teaching hospital.

The university was closed down for two weeks. On resumption, Soetan was invited with some students to write a statement on the incident at the More Police Station, Ife. Eighteen of them were detained and later taken to police cells in Ibadan. After about one month, Soetan and three others were brought back to Ife, and amidst police-student street battles, were charged with conspiracy and murder before a magistrate court. They were remanded at the Ilesha prisons where they spent seven months (June 12, 1991-January, 1992) before the police discontinued the case.

On return to campus, Soetan was again expelled, this time for failing to register for two semesters which was impossible as he was in police cell and prison for eight months. The struggle to get him recalled went on for over two years.

Soetan, even without failing his examinations, spent 13 years in OAU for a five-year programme. He passed through four Vice Chancellors: Professor Wande Abimbola who first expelled him; Professor Adeniyi Osuntogun, the next to expel him; Professor Wale Omole, the third to expel him; and Professor Makanjuola Roger who signed his certificate. Yesterday, Sunday August 29, 2021, this indomitable fighter, turned 60.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by donbachi(m): 10:18am On Aug 31, 2021
Today,injury to one is injury to one.

1 Like

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Hyperchi(m): 10:49am On Aug 31, 2021
the guy is an inspiration. he suffered for his love for Good. God will repay him

2 Likes

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Hyperchi(m): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2021
we have always been the problem of ourselves. sabo

1 Like

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Ofunaofu: 11:40am On Aug 31, 2021
Aluta continua!
Victoria ascerta

1 Like

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by ebenhazard(m): 1:00pm On Aug 31, 2021
Ofunaofu:
Aluta continua!
Victoria acerta

Victoria ascerta
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by maiquel: 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2021
What we have now are just bunch of budding politicians waiting to loot the union dry.
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Degis(m): 3:06pm On Aug 31, 2021
Amanpo:
OWEI LAKEMFAAUG 30, 2021

Adeola Soetan was a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority, NTA, Abeokuta when some young student leaders from the Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, Ile-Ife visited the station. Cladded in black, they came in connection with the annual commemoration of the June 7, 1981 massacre of six students in Ife by the police.

Adeola Soetan
The students looked so young, yet articulate and confident while being interviewed, that he decided in furthering his studies, to attend the OAU. So in 1986, he was admitted into the institution for a five -year course in Agriculture. He was aged 25.But when he got to the campus, the student union that attracted him, had been banned over protests against the student massacre at the Ahmadu Bello University, ABU.

On campus, he started writing and pasting articles why student unionism should be restored. His articles carried his name and room number. One day, two young students, Yinka Odumakin, later a national figure in Nigerian politics, and Kola Odetola visited and invited him to join a student journal,‘Ripples’. A month later, they invited him to a student seminar where he met young students discussing how to revive the student union and intelligently analysing national and international politics. That was how he joined the radical students movement.

About three months later, during the university convocation, the representative of the Visitor, Admiral Patrick Koshoni, was stoned by students protesting the trial for treason of eleven electricity senior staff who had gone on strike in protest against the neglect of their sector. Soetan was not present when this happened. He had attended an all-night social party the day before, and slept most of the day. So when Koshoni was stoned, he was sound asleep in his room. About 9.30pm, Odumakin and Odetola came to his room and asked whether he listened to the NTA Network News. No he hadn’t. So they informed him he was one of the students the university claimed to have identified stoning Koshoni and has therefore been rusticated indefinitely. He was just four months on campus!

Soetan an orphan since 19, was sponsoring himself in school with help from his sister, Rosalyn Soetan. She seemed so devastated and exclaimed: “How could you go and stone the Minister?” He replied: “ I did not stone the Minister, I was not even there.” She responded: “Ah! Iro ni”(Ah! It is a lie).

Soetan went to court to prove he was not physically present at the convocation and was not given any hearing. Also, to point out that three of the eight rusticated students were pen names, so how could the university claim people whose identity they do not know, were seen stoning the Minister? Additionally, that one of the remaining names, Seni Ajayi was served his rustication letter in Ondo whereas the person served had graduated and left the university! So, it was clearly a case of mistaken identity. Soetan lost the case but the reinvigorated student union asked the rusticated students to resume classes, and the university turned a blind eye.

In April 1990, Soetan was elected the student union President. Shortly afterwards, there were national student protests and the OAU students union was banned and the school closed down for one month.

Then there was an attempted coup in the country on April 22, 1990 and state security agents invaded the campus and abducted two lecturers, Professors Omotoye Olorode and Idowu Awopetu. In the process of spiriting the lecturers away, one of the agents in his car lagged behind, was apprehended by the students and beaten. The university authorities wanted to save the life of the security agent from the thousands of angry students, but could not persuade them, so they appealed to Soetan.

He asked in what capacity he was to intervene since the union had been banned. But the university denied the union was banned. So he spoke to the students and assured them that the union was capable of handling the situation. Later, the university wrote the students inviting them to meet government representatives who were threatening to storm the campus unless the agent was released. The students rejected the letter, insisting it should be properly addressed. Two hours later, the university unbanned the students union and returned with a letter addressed to the President of the students union. So the students agreed to the meeting. The security agent was released after spending 12 days in the students custody.

In 1991, the National association of Nigerian Students, NANS, ordered a nationwide students boycott of classes in furtherance of its demand for a N2,000 bursary for students and the right to education. When a student congress was called in OAU to mobilise for this protest, a cult group, the posted notices decreeing: “No Rally. No protest on campus. Be warned.” When Soetan led the student congress that held in Awolowo Hall, there were disturbances.

His supporters guided him to safety in his Room 273, Awolowo Hall. Then the armed cultists smashed his door, dragged him out, broke a flower vase on his head and brought him to the ground floor. It was at that point students realised what was going on and came to his rescue. The cultists broke into a run, fleeing into the hills. But one of them ran to the bar of the Student Union Building, SUB, from where he flung bottles at the students injuring a number. The students retaliated likewise and he was severely injured. He died while being taken to the teaching hospital.

The university was closed down for two weeks. On resumption, Soetan was invited with some students to write a statement on the incident at the More Police Station, Ife. Eighteen of them were detained and later taken to police cells in Ibadan. After about one month, Soetan and three others were brought back to Ife, and amidst police-student street battles, were charged with conspiracy and murder before a magistrate court. They were remanded at the Ilesha prisons where they spent seven months (June 12, 1991-January, 1992) before the police discontinued the case.

On return to campus, Soetan was again expelled, this time for failing to register for two semesters which was impossible as he was in police cell and prison for eight months. The struggle to get him recalled went on for over two years.

Soetan, even without failing his examinations, spent 13 years in OAU for a five-year programme. He passed through four Vice Chancellors: Professor Wande Abimbola who first expelled him; Professor Adeniyi Osuntogun, the next to expel him; Professor Wale Omole, the third to expel him; and Professor Makanjuola Roger who signed his certificate. Yesterday, Sunday August 29, 2021, this indomitable fighter, turned 60.

I lived throughout this history and I really pay homage to this great Nigerian. I am grateful that I went to school with this great man

1 Like

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Getsaved(m): 3:13pm On Aug 31, 2021
I do not know why many of the student activist in O.A.U those days could'nt penetrate the Nigerian politics. Meeeehn! Those guys were brave intelligent, articulate, bold, with relative high moral intelligenc. the students activist of 80s and 90s in O.A.U are worth writing a book on. Those guys (e.g 3 As and his group) would have positively impacted lives of ordinary Nigerians, how be it, Nigerians hate uprightly resolute men.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by joyandfaith: 3:39pm On Aug 31, 2021
Getsaved:
I do not know why many of the student activist in O.A.U those days could'nt penetrate the Nigerian politics. Meeeehn! Those guys were brave intelligent, articulate, bold, with relative high moral intelligenc. the students activist of 80s and 90s in O.A.U are worth writing a book on. Those guys (e.g 3 As and his group) would have positively impacted lives of ordinary Nigerians, how be it, Nigerians hate uprightly resolute men.

Dr3As was brave, brillant and eloquent. I am trying to figure where he is in. Tony fash is another enigma.
OAU is blessed with intellectuals both students, graduates and lecturers.

But National politics kills mission and dreams of those guys. I remember Olorode , Jingo and Awopetu. I am familiar with Adeola Soetan story as 100L student in 1999.

I am grateful for Legacy, Afrika etc. School fees with accomodation was reversed from 8k to 1500 for undergraduate. Accommodation was #90.

If you can survive oau then, you can survive in Afghanistan .
Great ife!!!

2 Likes

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Getsaved(m): 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2021
joyandfaith:

Dr3As was brave, brillant and eloquent. I am trying to figure where he is in. Tony fash is another enigma.
OAU is blessed with intellectuals both students, graduates and lecturers.

But National politics kills mission and dreams of those guys. I remember Olorode , Jingo and Awopetu. I am familiar with Adeola Soetan story as 100L student in 1999.

I am grateful for Legacy, Afrika etc. School fees with accomodation was reversed from 8k to 1500 for undergraduate. Accommodation was #90.

If you can survive oau then, you can survive in Afghanistan .
Great ife!!!

You are right bro., I just wonder where these guys are. I just hope as I type this one of them is reading, i keep wondering, I hope one day they will come out again some how to influence good governance and be rewarded for their efforts of year gone by.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by yemmight(m): 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2021
Whao o. Such a great activist.
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by BSF: 6:21pm On Aug 31, 2021
Getsaved:
I do not know why many of the student activists in O.A.U those days couldn't penetrate Nigerian politics. Meeeehn! Those guys were brave intelligent, articulate, bold, with relatively high moral intelligence. the students activist of 80s and 90s in O.A.U are worth writing a book on. Those guys (e.g 3 As and his group) would have positively impacted the lives of ordinary Nigerians, how be it, Nigerians hate uprightly resolute men.

At bolded lies the hypocrisy of the average Nigerian.

Nigerian system I repeat, Nigerian system abhors the uprightly resolute men/women.

This is why most Nigerians are highly religious but bereft of humanity.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by ekesol: 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2021
Amanpo:
OWEI LAKEMFAAUG 30, 2021

Adeola Soetan was a staff of the Nigeria Television Authority, NTA, Abeokuta when some young student leaders from the Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, Ile-Ife visited the station. Cladded in black, they came in connection with the annual commemoration of the June 7, 1981 massacre of six students in Ife by the police..

He is a great guy we should all respect him.
Tuale sir.
Your boys are loyal

Adeola Soetan

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by ekesol: 8:01pm On Aug 31, 2021
Amanpo:
OWEI LAKEMFAAUG 30, 2021

He is great Nigerian
I respect him so much
These are leaders we need in our society.

Adeola Soetan

Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Caboceer: 9:31pm On Aug 31, 2021
Getsaved:

Forget those guys, they are crazier, greedier than these people ruling Nigeria...in fact most of the current politicians were unionists while they were students but they were the low profile ones.

The top unionists had their life progress impeded by campus turbulence. By the time they got into the real society they were too old to gain a footing.
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 31, 2021
All this write up, you no fit add one picture of the man?
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by Ademola47(m): 11:30pm On Aug 31, 2021
Very interesting profile.
Re: Meet Nigerian Student Activist Rusticated 3 Times By 3 Vc's by gabbytabby: 6:18am On Sep 01, 2021
BSF:

At bolded lies the hypocrisy of the average Nigerian.

Nigerian system I repeat, Nigerian system abhors the uprightly resolute men/women.

This is why most Nigerians are highly religious but bereft of humanity.

That is why I laugh at the separatist movement. The only thing that will change is one group of thieves devoid of any moral compass for several groups of the same old same.

(1) (Reply)

Justice Mary Odili And The Marcaba Dance On 17 Oil Wells Belonging To Imo State / Ijaws Of Imo State / Twelve Most-spoken African Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.