Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Why Do Some People Underachieve? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some People Underachieve? (238 Views)

Why Did God Allow Some People To Still Suffer Despite Being Devoted / Are Some People Destined To Be Poor? / I Shake My Head For Some People, What If U Die And There Is No Heaven.?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some People Underachieve? by ThaThinka: 10:55pm On Sep 02, 2021
Hello, everyone! There is something I wish to have your opinions on, please.

I have wondered time and again why some people seem to achieve less where other people appear to be doing great in comparison. The more interesting or confusing thing here is that some of those doing better don't even believe in God.

I believe that except the Lord builds the house the labourers labour in vain. So I try to involve Him in what I do for success. Still, you still often find that some other people doing way better even when they may not be putting in as much effort or be as "smart" thinking. wink

This sort of thing sometimes makes me think of "village people." But then I try to not think so much about those because I believe they can't do anything except God allows them.

I know we are not to hope in God for only material things. But I am rather confused about this phenomenon.

Any person have thoughts to share on this? Thanks.
Re: Why Do Some People Underachieve? by ThaThinka: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2021
ThaThinka:
Hello, everyone! There is something I wish to have your opinions on, please.

I have wondered time and again why some people seem to achieve less where other people appear to be doing great in comparison. The more interesting or confusing thing here is that some of those doing better don't even believe in God.

I believe that except the Lord builds the house the labourers labour in vain. So I try to involve Him in what I do for success. Still, you still often find that some other people doing way better even when they may not be putting in as much effort or be as "smart" thinking. wink

This sort of thing sometimes makes me think of "village people." But then I try to not think so much about those because I believe they can't do anything except God allows them.

I know we are not to hope in God for only material things. But I am rather confused about this phenomenon.

Any person have thoughts to share on this? Thanks.

Any possible explanation to this phenomenon, anyone?
Re: Why Do Some People Underachieve? by AntiChristian: 10:18am On Sep 03, 2021
Firstly, I'm a Muslim. My believe is that God already has a plan for us before we were born. That's our destiny! Destiny is what happens from the time you start to exist till your demise and what happens after.

Everything is known to Allah and is written.

The popular Christian believe is that all of us must be doing well is false. Some will be poor, some will be rich and within this two categories there will be several sub-categories. I can call myself poor but I will still be richer than millions of other Nigerians

"Village people" as is widely claimed are real but are not powerful to affect our destiny except on what has been written there before.

Job in the Bible had serious catastrophes. He never for once thought any village people was against him. What ills have we witnessed that can be up to what Job witnessed?

No one knows the content of his/her destiny! Most just think it should be rosy throughout! And yes it could be rosy like that for some. Others may have a mixture of good and bad times.

Working hard is important but riches are not necessarily tied to it. But i believe in "tying my camel and having faith in Allah".

What misses me is not meant for me.
What is meant for me will never miss me.

Everyone will die at the time destined for him/her! No one is promised to live till old age. Even fetuses die as miscarriage.
And the "village people" too dey die!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some People Underachieve? by ThaThinka: 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2021
AntiChristian:
Firstly, I'm a Muslim. My believe is that God already has a plan for us before we were born. That's our destiny! Destiny is what happens from the time you start to exist till your demise and what happens after.

Everything is known to Allah and is written.

The popular Christian believe is that all of us must be doing well is false. Some will be poor, some will be rich and within this two categories there will be several sub-categories. I can call myself poor but I will still be richer than millions of other Nigerians

"Village people" as is widely claimed are real but are not powerful to affect our destiny except on what has been written there before.

Job in the Bible had serious catastrophes. He never for once thought any village people was against him. What ills have we witnessed that can be up to what Job witnessed?

No one knows the content of his/her destiny! Most just think it should be rosy throughout! And yes it could be rosy like that for some. Others may have a mixture of good and bad times.

Working hard is important but riches are not necessarily tied to it. But i believe in "tying my camel and having faith in Allah".

What misses me is not meant for me.
What is meant for me will never miss me.

Everyone will die at the time destined for him/her! No one is promised to live till old age. Even fetuses die as miscarriage.
And the "village people" too dey die!

Thanks for your response, sir. Your moniker though. smiley

May I mention that the bold isn't necessarily a popular Christian belief or thinking, but a general one regardless of religion. It's the reason some people say things like, "But na my mate e be, why e come dey do better than me," "We attended the same school and I am even brighter and more hardworking than him but look how more successful he is," and the like.

Your response was thoughtful nonetheless. I have thought along that line time and again as well but I just couldn't help but question that line of thought sometimes.
Re: Why Do Some People Underachieve? by AntiChristian: 8:06am On Sep 04, 2021
ThaThinka:

Thanks for your response, sir. Your moniker though. smiley
I knew you'll mention this smiley

May I mention that the bold isn't necessarily a popular Christian belief or thinking, but a general one regardless of religion. It's the reason some people say things like, "But na my mate e be, why e come dey do better than me," "We attended the same school and I am even brighter and more hardworking than him but look how more successful he is," and the like.
The Prosperity belief is common among the Christians and uncommon in Islam and even in idolatry. At least from what I see in Nigeria.
Look at the preaching, the miracle calls, etc all pointing to financial breakthrough. Every month New motto, Every year New motto! This is my month of increase, My year of abundant harvest. Next year will be year of geometric increase! Though few are unlike this. It's common that a Babalawo is poor (according to our standard) and contented with such.

Most Christians don't believe in destiny! They believe prayer can change destiny. But no one knows the destiny in the first place! You only know when it happens. So how do we know it has been changed?

My dad once had an accident that hw couldn't walk well for months! He recounted the incident that a woman beside him died but her daughter she was carrying survived with facial injuries. Some others died in the bus and some others lived.

Many cases abound as I knew someone who had a swollen leg just before going for NYSC. The leg became normal before he finished camping back then at Jalingo. If he were a Christian, he would have given testimony and recount how Jesus cured him from the swollen leg!
But he was a Muslim.

As I said before, my believe is to work as hard and right as possible relying of Allah. Whatever misses me is not meant for me and whatever is meant for me will never miss me.

Your response was thoughtful nonetheless. I have thought along that line time and again as well but I just couldn't help but question that line of thought sometimes.
Thanks. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some People Underachieve? by ThaThinka: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2021
AntiChristian:
I knew you'll mention this smiley

The Prosperity belief is common among the Christians and uncommon in Islam and even in idolatry. At least from what I see in Nigeria.
Look at the preaching, the miracle calls, etc all pointing to financial breakthrough. Every month New motto, Every year New motto! This is my month of increase, My year of abundant harvest. Next year will be year of geometric increase! Though few are unlike this. It's common that a Babalawo is poor (according to our standard) and contented with such.

Most Christians don't believe in destiny! They believe prayer can change destiny. But no one knows the destiny in the first place! You only know when it happens. So how do we know it has been changed?

My dad once had an accident that hw couldn't walk well for months! He recounted the incident that a woman beside him died but her daughter she was carrying survived with facial injuries. Some others died in the bus and some others lived.

Many cases abound as I knew someone who had a swollen leg just before going for NYSC. The leg became normal before he finished camping back then at Jalingo. If he were a Christian, he would have given testimony and recount how Jesus cured him from the swollen leg!
But he was a Muslim.

As I said before, my believe is to work as hard and right as possible relying of Allah. Whatever misses me is not meant for me and whatever is meant for me will never miss me.

Thanks. cool

I appreciate your time to respond.

But I can't help but say your view on Christianity and prosperity isn't entirely accurate, though. Maybe those that personify or project such thinking are the ones you see or relate with mostly.

Of course, if you are talking prosperity, you are more likely to be noticeable to people (be it to get enthusiasts or critics).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

3 People Who Heard A Voice From Heaven (in The Bible) & What Happened To Them. / Interpretation Of The Dream: Burning Fire / Those Who Don't Believe In Paying Tithes Actually Pay Tithe To Losses, Problems.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.