Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? (352 Views)

Obaseki To Tinubu: You Can’t Extend Your Political Empire To Edo / Buhari Answering A Question About Youths At UN, Nigerians React (Video) / Amaechi's Look As Buhari Mumbles Over A Question At Town Hall Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2021
What's with the hostility towards Yoruba people online.... I've noticed this, at first I thought it was just banter but it seems Edo people have a beef with Yoruba people..like some kinda unspoken rivalry between distant relatives. Grew up partly in Benin and had an esan girlfriend once and I never noticed this shit.... only online. Or is it just pure politics or people parading as Edo people?
Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by viyon02: 9:49pm On Sep 03, 2021
Well, maybe you are right, there this argument about origin of Benin and Yoruba. Yoruba argue that they settled Benin and Benin also argue that they have being exsting before Yoruba came to Ife. I think this has been the bone of contention between the two tribe.
Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by techwaya: 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2021
Op ,its the same thing with our Igbo brothers In the South south especially Rivers, how can an Emeka from Rivers be different from Emeka from Imo ? or Ngozi from delta be different from Ngozi from Anambra?and people with defend sentiments even the educated.

Spitsssss
Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by bjdon: 10:25pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:
What's with the hostility towards Yoruba people online.... I've noticed this, at first I thought it was just banter but it seems Edo people have a beef with Yoruba people..like some kinda unspoken rivalry between distant relatives. Grew up partly in Benin and had an esan girlfriend once and I never noticed this shit.... only online. Or is it just pure politics or people parading as Edo people?
Online is not a true reflection of reality. Edo and Yoruba people do not have any significant beef with each other. There are some ongoing arguments about the origins of both groups and who is superior the Oba of Benin or Oni of Ife, but this does flow to the Edo and Yoruba man on the street. The only issue the average Edo person would have with his Yoruba cousins is the fact you guys cook with way too much peper!! smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 03, 2021
viyon02:
Well, maybe you are right, there this argument about origin of Benin and Yoruba. Yoruba argue that they settled Benin and Benin also argue that they have being exsting before Yoruba came to Ife. I think this has been the bone of contention between the two tribe.

Whatever the argument any one chooses fact remains that oduduwa is the connection between both ethnic groups. Most of these kings we even argue about are largely powerless compared to the days of old.... it's question about what we stand to achieve working together, Awolowo and Anthony enahoro achieved alot the short while both men worked together. Used to join in such useless arguments about supremacy based off some historical event......but it's probably why the colonizer found it easier to conquer us.
Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by theInterpreter: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:

Whatever the argument any one chooses fact remains that oduduwa is the connection between both ethnic groups. Most of these kings we even argue about are largely powerless compared to the days of old.... it's question about what we stand to achieve working together, Awolowo and Anthony enahoro achieved alot the short while both men worked together. Used to join in such useless arguments about supremacy based off some historical event......but it's probably why the colonizer found it easier to conquer us.
Exactly bro
Africans need to find ways to bond and not divide

The diversity is the curse and blessingbof Africa

Even the slave trade was enhanced by this diversity embarassed
Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by viyon02: 11:18pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:

you are bro.

1 Like

Re: A Question To People Of The Benin Empire? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 03, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:

It's the work of okoro.... They can impersonate house fly just to get back at yoruba..... cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Gov Abubakar Sani Bello Leads His Kebbi State Counterpart Atiku Bagudu To ... / . / 2023: Kabba Community May Not Submit Itself To Second Class Representation Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.