Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,713 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:24 AM

Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? (30245 Views)

Backfilling In Foundation: Types And Procedure / Seal the holes by your HVAC, Windows & door frames with Expansion PU Foam Spray. / Cost Of Laterite/red/clay Bricks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Goodplace: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2021
Yes you are right... Because this sinful Generation care about things that are inconsequential.
FalseProphet1:
More than 90% of replies here will be meaningless to question asked by the op.

This I have seen.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by mytime24(f): 10:11am On Sep 04, 2021
K
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Seniorwriter(m): 10:11am On Sep 04, 2021
Just reading through!

@SENIORWRITER
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Igbofirstfarmer: 10:12am On Sep 04, 2021
I don't know
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by 9niceguy(m): 10:12am On Sep 04, 2021
I am into Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
But based on my site experience, I think it's good to fill the holes too. It will only make the foundation blocks more stronger
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by akaahs(m): 10:12am On Sep 04, 2021
Very wrong practice

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by matify83: 10:13am On Sep 04, 2021
I am not an engineer but I may hazard a guess as one who has built a home.

Filling the voids in foundation CMU may be wrong especially when the top blocks are not sealed with the binding beam. The soil within these cavities especially laterite may expand and contract with the capillary effect of water and weaken the integrity of the foundation. ( Especially With our poor quality concrete blocks).

9 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Nauttyprof(m): 10:13am On Sep 04, 2021
Rexnegro:
It's not bad , I believe it makes the foundation even stronger

No Sir, it is bad. It will aid capillary rise in water or moisture and also weaken the block in the long run. Mass concrete is preferable to fill the block holes in foundation.

10 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Myer(m): 10:13am On Sep 04, 2021
Seems google is your best bet on this.
NL needs more informative threads like this.

From my little finding, Laterite in buildings seems to be an African thing. Meaning theres better ways to adopt instead.

I simply just searched through "Laterite in building" on Google.
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Nauttyprof(m): 10:13am On Sep 04, 2021
9niceguy:
I am into Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
But based on my site experience, I think it's good to fill the holes too. It will only make the foundation blocks more stronger

But not with laterite.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by alizma: 10:14am On Sep 04, 2021
Very bad

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by jumpandpas(m): 10:14am On Sep 04, 2021
Rexnegro:
Oga laterite is just red mud, it doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the building.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Dedemworld: 10:14am On Sep 04, 2021
I don't understand ur question, but it's extremely bad cheesy
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Saynotoapc(m): 10:15am On Sep 04, 2021
Diggjigg:
I don't understand

You understand Foundation?
You understand holes for foundation ba
You understand filling abi
You know wetin he soil abi
So na laterite confuse you ba.

Talk make Dem elucidate more
Lol

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by sodique20(m): 10:15am On Sep 04, 2021
U say ?

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by anambraamaka: 10:15am On Sep 04, 2021
I don't really know, not my field
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by alizma: 10:15am On Sep 04, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
I studied civil engineering in school,but like seriously I don't understand what you're saying.....

Let other engineers come in.... Perhaps we can all learn from this..
Maybe you studied civil engineer but now selling tablets.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Sirchef: 10:16am On Sep 04, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Fellow builders and Engineers in the house..
Good Morning Ooo.
As we already know, in a situation where there was no foundation chaining-beam constructed before the filling of the foundation, it had always been a common practice to block-off the holes in the block-works (especially when hollow blocks were used in the block-works) while filling the foundation with laterite soil, and also during the casting of the DPC floor. (A labourer is actually being paid to do the blocking of the holes).
I am now asking...
Is there anything wrong in filling the holes of the foundation block-works with the laterite soil while the filling of the foundation was going on.??
In fact, what exactly is the main reason why the holes in the foundation block-works are being blocked-off during the filling of foundation with Laterite??
I really need to know the reason.
I need to learn this.
the purpose is to save cement. If you don't block off the holes, excess cement will be use and it will cost the owner alot of money

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2021
Rexnegro:

Haaaaa

You believe ?

You be civil Engineer or Builder ??

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by alizma: 10:17am On Sep 04, 2021
FalseProphet1:
More than 90% of replies here will be meaningless to question asked by the op.

This I have seen.
One person even said he studied civil engineering but he can't understand what Op is talking about.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by danduchi(m): 10:17am On Sep 04, 2021
From a geologist point of view, laterite contains mineral like montmorillonite, illite or smectite. Laterite with montmorillonite tends to swell when in contact with water or moisture and shrinks back when dry. So to avoid cracks on your buildings, do not fill in with laterite, rather use granite or broken blocks

11 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by jumpandpas(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2021
Sirchef:
the purpose is to save cement. If you don't block off the holes, excess cement will be use and it will cost the owner alot of money

But not with laterite.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by NaijaCoverBlog(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2021
Tell more
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by HOLAROCKDAY(m): 10:18am On Sep 04, 2021
Sirchef:

So Blocking with Laterite is now okay ?

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Rebuke: 10:19am On Sep 04, 2021
Bigfish121:
As an fresh graduate from the department of civil engineering, what I under is that the main reason for the blockage of holes in hollow blocks in construction is to actually prevent the wastage of materials.

Which one be as an fresh graduate again abeg? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Zionthelion: 10:19am On Sep 04, 2021
The holes needs to be filled
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by kudinkarfe: 10:22am On Sep 04, 2021
Broken blocks are usually used for blocking holes in hollow blocks. Laterite is a clay soil and clay soil contract and expand which will bring cracks on the blocks, beside it's not economical to use laterite to fill holes on hollow blocks you are not saving cost.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by Efobiandrew83(m): 10:23am On Sep 04, 2021
Hollow blocks are used for balancing and heat regulation in a building.
Considering using hollow blocks in sub-structure, the holes are been filled up using weak concrete to strengthen the blocks against lateral pressure when the foundation is been filled with laterite and also to avoid easy bursting from outside force thereby exposing the foundation.

Coming to your question, it is not wise and advisable to fill the foundation block holes with laterite. It's not an Ideal at all... It's far more better to use pieces of blocks than laterite. Imagine when there's an external force on the outside foundation wall and what you see is laterite. Dammn it

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by majamajic(m): 10:23am On Sep 04, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
I studied civil engineering in school,but like seriously I don't understand what you're saying.....

Let other engineers come in.... Perhaps we can all learn from this..

Money wasted

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by majamajic(m): 10:24am On Sep 04, 2021
U can use it , it's not a bad practice
Re: Is It A Bad Practice To Fill The Holes In Foundation Block-Works With Laterite? by phemmyfour: 10:24am On Sep 04, 2021
SecretReporter:
Fill it spiritually, let wait for Righteousness to tell us what the connection between filling this and Signs of End time
Honestly, that guy is a clown. He has a way of linking every topic to spiritual issues

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost Me To Develop This Building Plan To Roofing (photo) / PHOTOS: Gov. Ganduje Sells 2 Bedroom Houses For N2.7 Million In Kano / Between Tenant And Landlord, Who Is Responsible For This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.