Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,458 members, 7,836,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab (261 Views)

Guinea: Conde Detained As Government Is Dissolved In Coup (video) / Cipriano Cassamá Resigns As President Of Guinea Bissau After One Day In Office / President Macron Poses With A Shirtless Robber Released From Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab by JerryLekki: 9:58pm On Sep 05, 2021
In light of today's coup in Guinea and some insinuations that the French authorities have a hand in it, I remembered this news piece and decided to share. Given that the coup leader is said to be a former French Legionnaire, do you agree with these insinuations?

PARIS, Nov 20 (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron has accused Guinea’s President Alpha Conde of changing the constitution solely to stay in power, a move that he said was serious for the future of Africa’s top bauxite producer.

Guinea’s top court earlier this month confirmed Conde’s victory in October’s election, rejecting accusations of fraud and handing him a third term his opponents say is unconstitutional.

“President Conde has had a career as an opponent which would have justified organising a good alternation on his own,” Macron said in an interview with weekly pan-African magazine Jeune Afrique. “And obviously he organised a referendum and a constitutional change just to be able to keep power.”

Conde’s first election victory in 2010 raised hopes for democratic progress in the former French colony after two years of military rule and nearly a quarter of a century under authoritarian President Lansana Conte, who died in 2008.

But Conde’s critics accuse him of cracking down on dissent and violently repressing protests - charges he has denied.

“That’s why I haven’t sent him a congratulatory letter yet. I think the situation is serious in Guinea, for its youth, for its democratic vitality and for its progress,” Macron said. (Reporting by John Irish; editing by Bate Felix)

https://www.reuters.com/article/guinea-election-france-idUSL8N2I63NY

Re: Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab by sammybest889(m): 10:09pm On Sep 05, 2021
As dis message no concern me abeg na wen god go blow dis him trumpet make we know wey we de dis him coming soon don de tire me oo no b wen I start my own e go blow
Re: Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab by TarOrfeeek: 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2021
Of course.

Imperial France and it's interesting curiosity in Africa and her government process.

Even if we justify this action with Conde's greed

The fact remains that it is unconstitutional. And sets a very bad precedent.

However if any Officer in NA can, please rescue us.

Agege bread is now N120 for small size.
Coaster biscuits of N10 only 2 pcs was inside.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab by michresakidjo(m): 11:38pm On Sep 05, 2021
France without her former African colonies is like a car without engine shameless leech.

Perfidiously wants to have her hand in every pie

1 Like

Re: Throwback: France's Macron Blasts Guinea's Conde For Power Grab by OmoOgunOriginal(f): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2021
Hmmmmmmm. It's possible.

Given the fact that Ivory Coast just discovered a huge deposit of oil and gas, it's possible France is betting that such will be found on the continental shelf of Guinea so they want a more pliable regime to their own oil aspirations. I find it plausible

(1) (Reply)

Dictators That Stole Many Billions From Their Countries / BREAKING: Russia, Ukraine Start First Peace Talks Since Invasion / Weeks Of War In Ukraine: Russians Lose Top Men And Equipment But Not Yet The War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.