Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? (34076 Views)

Akeredolu: Southern Governors Will Oppose Any Party That Fields A Northerner / 30 States Risk Bankruptcy As Lagos, Rivers Set For New VAT Regime / Ayo Adebanjo: Why I Will Oppose Tinubu Presidency In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by EddieAsuzu: 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
Yes, the radicalism & Islamic agenda of Ahmafu Bello & his foot soldier Tafawa Balewa caused the intervention of the Military. If not for Islam, then such couldn't have happened. Therefore, talk to your fellow Muslims !!
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by nisai: 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2021
ibechris:

There are three oil producing states in the east currently,one is the richest when it comes to business and entrepreneurship in Nigeria.
The picture does not explain the reality on ground.
But it explains it much more than your imagination.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by YorubarLord: 3:10pm On Sep 07, 2021
Boy don't be bitter, don't make me put videos and images of your igbo sisters swimming in dirty water here or your fvcked up roads all across your potopoto region.
post=105579053:

IGR only on paper, no project, while the states with low IGR are delivering laudable projects every year, while you guys are celebrating IGR on media, I wonder when una go get sense
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by Aboks(m): 3:15pm On Sep 07, 2021
WibusJaga:

After using Hisbah to destroy alcohol businesses in the North, they want to stretch hand & collect VAT proceeds from same alcohol businesses in the South. Nonsense.

Useless almajiris lazy people the money to marry more wife's
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by nisai: 3:27pm On Sep 07, 2021
LegendHero:

Lol see me see wahala. This should be another round of Aki and Popo comedy.

You can’t give what you don’t have Shinedu. Your states are poor and that’s a fact!! Soon Kano IGR will be more than the whole SE states and as usual you will all come online to still chestbeat and call them leeches.

Only God know why the blue chip abi na red chip companies are not making your states IGR bigger if your Ojuku statistics kept them at 50%.

Accept that your zone is a dead zone. Stay at home on Monday is now on course and soon war ravaged Borno IGR will be bigger than the tiny landlocked IPOB infested region where the sun don’t shine.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by joyandfaith: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
Uchek:
"I wish Awo had fought for independence of yoruba nation. I wish he had supported Biafra course"

You absolutely right that Yoruba nation would have favored Yoruba ethnic nationality. But the one billion dollar question is why he did not support the Biafran cause or take a neutral stance and allow Biafra and Northern Nigeria to settle their political fight in the war.Instead he joined his enemies to fight against the long-term interest of Yoruba.

I keep wondering myself .
We missed opportunity of correcting mistake of 1960 in 1967.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by BusinessDream: 3:42pm On Sep 07, 2021
AlabiJ:

Lies from the pits of hell. You can't give what you don't have. If your statement were true, your states would be at the top of the chart. You people and your false claims.
Na, it is not lies. Let's take oil company HQ for instance that left South South because of insecurity and went to Lagos. If they relocate back to South-South, hope you know what that will do to Lago IGR? Now if another Seaport, the size of Lagos port is created in South-South, hope you know what that will do to Lagos IGR?

A lot of people are in Lagos because of the number of companies there and Lagos is the major booster of South West IGR. If any of those big companies move out, IGR will drop. All Nigerian banks have their HQ in Lagos, nowhere else. All Oil Companies have their HQ in Lagos.

My point is a lot of opportunities are concentrated in Lagos and not evenly distributed...
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by RedEnergy: 3:46pm On Sep 07, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Army can't be decentralise in a federal system
It can. The army can be decentralized. In the USA, they have State defence forces, who are military wing of the State government. They also have National Guards in each state who can also be controlled by State Governors.

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by sokera: 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2021
This is why the yorubas needs to wake up and support a true yoruba nationalist like Tinubu to be the next president , he is the only man that can decentralized the power at the center …

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by AlabiJ: 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2021
BusinessDream:
Na, it is not lies. Let's take oil company HQ for instance that left South South because of insecurity and went to Lagos. If they relocate back to South-South, hope you know what that will do to Lago IGR? Now if another Seaport, the size of Lagos port is created in South-South, hope you know what that will do to Lagos IGR?

A lot of people are in Lagos because of the number of companies there and Lagos is the major booster of South West IGR. If any of those big companies move out, IGR will drop. All Nigerian banks have their HQ in Lagos, nowhere else. All Oil Companies have their HQ in Lagos.

My point is a lot of opportunities are concentrated in Lagos and not evenly distributed...

You igbos are pathetic. You never accept responsibility for your shortcomings and failures. Always blaming external factors. If it's not lack of seaports, it'll be marginalization, or other crap. There are states that don't have Onitsha and Aba-type markets in Nigeria that are doing better than your states in both IGR and VAT generation and collection. Yet you people still try to claim the sweat of the states that are proactive in their internal revenue generation efforts. Una dey ment.

The seaports excuse has long been proven over and over to be a blatant lie. There are functional seaports in Rivers State that you people can use but you choose not to use them, yet you blame others for your economic underperformance.

Look inwards and ask yourself whether your governors are the ones eating/stealing your IGR and VAT taxes and failing to declare them transparently, or whether your traders just don't like paying taxes, instead of always looking to blame outsiders for your own underperformance. Y'all make me sick.

2 Likes

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by GuyfawkesAB(m): 4:07pm On Sep 07, 2021
Una don start again grin
Available data on IGR has shown that a larger percentage of Lagos and Ogun tax revenues are from PAYE and corporate organisations. Your people mostly don't make full declaration of their businesses so as not to pay correct levies. The same attitude they have shown mostly in the East that has led to low generation of taxes in those states. The false illusion that you hold that if your businesses are taken out of the SW, the economy will become almost moribund will soon be busted

OfoIgbo:
And the funny thing is that about half of the Lagos IGR is being provided by SEners, and about 70% of Rivers state IGR is being provided by SEners also.

Proper economic planning and the installation of seaports at Oseakwa in Anambra and Obuaku in Abia, will quadruple the IGR of the SE states.

Adding Igbo areas in the SS stretching from Obigbo, to Opobo and Ubani, to Ogwashiuku to the SE will further help the Igbo economy.

Igbos will automatically be bestowed with the title of states with the largest IGRs

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by colestephan86: 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2021
OfoIgbo:
And the funny thing is that about half of the Lagos IGR is being provided by SEners, and about 70% of Rivers state IGR is being provided by SEners also.

Proper economic planning and the installation of seaports at Oseakwa in Anambra and Obuaku in Abia, will quadruple the IGR of the SE states.

Adding Igbo areas in the SS stretching from Obigbo, to Opobo and Ubani, to Ogwashiuku to the SE will further help the Igbo economy.

Igbos will automatically be bestowed with the title of states with the largest IGRs
They have started , go to the east and generate the igr na.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by BusinessDream: 4:50pm On Sep 07, 2021
AlabiJ:

You igbos are pathetic. You never accept responsibility for your shortcomings and failures. Always blaming external factors. If it's not lack of seaports, it'll be marginalization, or other crap. There are states that don't have Onitsha and Aba-type markets in Nigeria that are doing better than your states in both IGR and VAT generation and collection. Yet you people still try to claim the sweat of the states that are proactive in their internal revenue generation efforts. Una dey ment.

The seaports excuse has long been proven over and over to be a blatant lie. There are functional seaports in Rivers State that you people can use but you choose not to use them, yet you blame others for your economic underperformance.

Look inwards and ask yourself whether your governors are the ones eating/stealing your IGR and VAT taxes and failing to declare them transparently, or whether your traders just don't like paying taxes, instead of always looking to blame outsiders for your own underperformance. Y'all make me sick.
Lol...

Are you done? Lagos is the biggest oga... you will find virtually EVERY TRIBE doing business there for a reason many are doing business there. Why aren't people trooping to other states in South West like they do to Lagos or Lagos is the only South West state ni? Even other Yoruba people move to Lagos too. so why is everyone moving to Lagos?
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by cocolacec(m): 5:16pm On Sep 07, 2021
AlabiJ:

How come Igbos in the North dont boost the IGR of the Northern states?

2 Likes

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by cocolacec(m): 5:17pm On Sep 07, 2021
ajl:

The last statement is a loose statement. Yes, the police can be decentralized but the army remains for defense purpose and remain under authority of the federal government. Show me a country where the states control the military.

USA
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by AlabiJ: 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
BusinessDream:
Lol...

Are you done? Lagos is the biggest oga... you will find virtually EVERY TRIBE doing business there for a reason many are doing business there. Why aren't people trooping to other states in South West like they do to Lagos or Lagos is the only South West state ni? Even other Yoruba people move to Lagos too. so why is everyone moving to Lagos?

Abeg getat and shut tha fvck up. You are just too dense for comfort. You people just like arguing blindly. My point from the very beginning has been that igbos are not responsible for 'about half' of the IGR generated by Lagos like your fellow ipob claimed on the fist page of this thread (no single evidence supports that claim), simply because una region is one of the worst performing regions in terms of revenue generation and collection in the entire country. You can't be performing woefully in your own region and then turn around and claim credit for the sterling performance of other regions.

2 Likes

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by bencarson007(m): 7:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
PROUDIGBO:

This is the koko of the matter! You think it’s for nothing that the federal unitary system of gov’t has survived this long? The people that have a vested interest in seeing it sustained wouldn’t let things change for the better without a fight!

E weak me bro

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by jimmynauty: 7:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
Shegu en arewa...kun tashi lalache kasan ku..tooh gashi kun gani kun ji
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by bilulu(m): 7:38pm On Sep 07, 2021
cocolacec:
The North and some states in the East will oppose the new VAT Ruling.After Vat collection by state the next should be decentralization of the Army and the police.
How can you decentralized the army? what will now make it a country? police is fine but army is always national
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by jaxxy(m): 7:52pm On Sep 07, 2021
WesternOligarch:
The leeches in both regions will oppose the ruling. We already saw who betrayed the anti grazing ban in the south first.....

The funny thing is that if northern leaders for a minute can actually get their acts together they'd see rapid development in terms of igr in their region. If an economic partnership that is beneficial to both parties in the south west and the north is entered into both regions will see development. Build a cargo railway that connects the north and south west, build more dry ports in the south west and invest in livestock agriculture in the north and creation of an arewa/odua investment company for both regions. Synergy is what is really needed.

Plus ogun states and Oyo states really need to work on their own igr and exploit the closeness to Lagos.

I personally really don't give them much attention when they say stuff like that, usually it's bereft of any facts or logic and simply empty statements to feed their ego.... they talking about having ports, lol last time I checked they were landlocked.

Most Igbos have their major investments and business in other regions than in their region. That’s the reason behind some of these figures besides their underperforming governors.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by seniorkachion(m): 8:20pm On Sep 07, 2021
Anambra state should make sure that all all ships bringing containers to onitsha are discharged at Onitsha port through barges.
Abia can reach revenue sharing arrangements with Rivers State for Aba containers to come in through Port Harcourt port.
Meanwhile, all containers for north go straight to Kano and Kaduna Inland Dry Ports.
I no fit laugh for the boastful south westerners. Dem Lagos ports go become idle.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by seniorkachion(m): 8:22pm On Sep 07, 2021
WesternOligarch:
The leeches in both regions will oppose the ruling. We already saw who betrayed the anti grazing ban in the south first.....

The funny thing is that if northern leaders for a minute can actually get their acts together they'd see rapid development in terms of igr in their region. If an economic partnership that is beneficial to both parties in the south west and the north is entered into both regions will see development. Build a cargo railway that connects the north and south west, build more dry ports in the south west and invest in livestock agriculture in the north and creation of an arewa/odua investment company for both regions. Synergy is what is really needed.

Plus ogun states and Oyo states really need to work on their own igr and exploit the closeness to Lagos.

I personally really don't give them much attention when they say stuff like that, usually it's bereft of any facts or logic and simply empty statements to feed their ego.... they talking about having ports, lol last time I checked they were landlocked.

Anambra state should make sure that all all ships bringing containers to onitsha are discharged at Onitsha port through barges.
Abia can reach revenue sharing arrangements with Rivers State for Aba containers to come in through Port Harcourt port.
Meanwhile, all containers for north go straight to Kano and Kaduna Inland Dry Ports.
I no fit laugh for the boastful south westerners. Dem Lagos ports go become idle.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by Jonathan39: 8:25pm On Sep 07, 2021
What if they finally decides to move their business to East, you know what will happen to the rejoin they will be leaving behind.
DonroxyII:
Stop wasting your time .... Big Igbo men don't like doing business in the east...... it is more of culture not because of lack of opportunities...

They are the ones that knows what is pursuing them from home ..... it doesn't have anything to do with Biafra .....

Average Igbo man don't stay Home no matter the seaport you build .....
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by OGmoney19(m): 8:30pm On Sep 07, 2021
[quote author=WesternOligarch post=105571501]The leeches in both regions will oppose the ruling. We already saw who betrayed the anti grazing ban in the south first.....

I personally really don't give them much attention when they say stuff like that, usually it's bereft of any facts or logic and simply empty statements to feed their ego.... they talking about having ports, lol last time I checked they were landlocke
My man you be fool.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by seniorkachion(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ngorbungor:

Do they think it's only Yoruba's that are responsible for the 51% VAT Lagos recorded?

They are not serious, I really like how the VAT thing is going, it will really help other state to sit tight and think outside the box, do you know that the number of banks inside Onitsha main market alone is more than the total number of banks in state capital like Lokoja, Ado-Ekiti,, markudi etc.

So the problem is tax collection, because the revenue is there and going into wrong pockets

The reason for the 51% Lagos VAT contribution is because big companies headquartered in Lagos aggregate and pay vat from their corporate head office in Lagos.
That will change. Nigeria Breweries for instance have their biggest plant in Enugu. They will nolonger pay vat for goods produced in their Enugu plant to FG. It will now be paid to Enugu State govt. Etc. This will happen all over the states . Banks will pay for their branches in states where they are located.
Once the legal uncertainties have been settled, you will see action from states. Lagos vat will plummet inevitably.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by middlebelter(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2021
The North West and North East controlling the FGN at the centre have a total IGR of N203.57b not up to the South-South IGRor half of SW. You will now understand why the VAT case will be stopped at the Supreme court. If River state can win this case at the supreme court, then the battle to true fiscal federalism is half won. Keep it up, Governor Wike.

Justice must be encouraged even if my state in Northcentral is not performing well on IGR. What I know is this will force the non-performing states to wake up.
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by celeiyke: 8:36pm On Sep 07, 2021
cocolacec:
The North and some states in the East will oppose the new VAT Ruling.After Vat collection by state the next should be decentralization of the Army and the police.

So IGR translates to VAT?
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by BusinessDream: 8:44pm On Sep 07, 2021
AlabiJ:

Abeg getat and shut tha fvck up. You are just too dense for comfort. You people just like arguing blindly. My point from the very beginning has been that igbos are not responsible for 'about half' of the IGR generated by Lagos like your fellow ipob claimed on the fist page of this thread (no single evidence supports that claim), simply because una region is one of the worst performing regions in terms of revenue generation and collection in the entire country. You can't be performing woefully in your own region and then turn around and claim credit for the sterling performance of other regions.
What makes up Lagos business ? ONLY YORUBA? IS that what you are claiming? Are there no Igbos in that same Lagos making massive contributions? I am dense because I refused to accept your position, right? REMOVE lagos from South west and what do you have? A state that was developed by almost everyone in this country is what you are boasting of. Even people that are not from Lagos will be claiming Lagos. Oga shut up!
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by AlabiJ: 9:27pm On Sep 07, 2021
BusinessDream:
What makes up Lagos business ? ONLY YORUBA? IS that what you are claiming? Are there no Igbos in that same Lagos making massive contributions? I am dense because I refused to accept your position, right? REMOVE lagos from South west and what do you have? A state that was developed by almost everyone in this country is what you are boasting of. Even people that are not from Lagos will be claiming Lagos. Oga shut up!

It's like you want to be unfortunate on this street. Why should I remove Lagos from the SW?? You must be mad. Na my fault say your region dey landlocked? Is it yoruba people's fault that Lagos was situated in their region and that they are benefiting from its God-given endowments? Why not blame God instead, for endowing Lagos with the strategic location amongst other advantages. It's like saying without Oil money all SS states can't survive. If I am to remove Lagos from the SW, then Nigeria should also be ready to remove Oil from the SS, abi na SS people put the oil inside their ground? Only lazy and foolish people think and talk like you do, guy. You igbos are fond of blaming others for your problems. Go and fight God, if e pain you reach. Ediot.

For all the noises you igbos make about being so super and better than everyone else, una still no fit siddon for una region and make it habitable for yourselves. It's so bad that for an average igbo person to make it in life, he needs to leave his region to seek better opportunities. Shey na yoruba people swear for una? Shey na our fault say una must emigrate to other parts of Nigeria to survive as a people? Upon all, you still have the nerve to insult your hosts that created an enabling environment for you to thrive in their midst. Na Devil go punish all of una. E be like dem don microwave your brain dis evening, na hin make you dey talk crap to me. Better get off my mention and go make yourself useful.

2 Likes

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by Vado(m): 9:33pm On Sep 07, 2021
joyandfaith:

I never come across that he wanted yoruba nation.
Thanks for the correction.

He was the first to suggest the inclusion of a secession clause in the then constitution, a leverage which could have averted all these issues we have today but Azikiwe objected and tagged him a tribalism. Awo did all those things first. They even saw him as an outcast.

1 Like

Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by Abujakenneth: 10:05pm On Sep 07, 2021
I still wonder how Anambra earns more than Plateau or Sokoto
cocolacec:
Re: Which States Will Oppose The New VAT Ruling? by OPUBO7(m): 10:24pm On Sep 07, 2021
OfoIgbo:

� a sea port at anambra were will the boat pass won't it pay tax before Crossing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Senators Walk Out Okoi-Obono Obla, Buhari’s Aide / Staggered Elections : I Have Been Vindicated - Reno Omokri / I Wish Oyetola Well — Adeleke Reacts To Supreme Court Verdict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.