Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m (4452 Views)

Audit Report Indicts NNPC, Corporation To Refund $1.48billion / Taiwo Adeniji Wins New-York Nursing Excellence Award / Building Collapses At Adeniji-Adele Area In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by naijaking1: 8:12pm On Jul 22, 2007
@spoilt

Thanks for turning around, it's not because "she has two heads", but because it's right that you should earn whatever salary agreement you reach with your future employer- including the naija government.

It's fair, it's right, and has nothing to do with whether the woman dey use "her money buy wax" or not.

It's laughable that in a country where OBJ is alleged to have made over $180m, Nnamani 5.6B, Dariye 2.6B, etc, we are wasting time debating about civil servants refunding their salary?
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by denex: 12:01am On Jul 23, 2007
It was the presidency that was at fault in approving those amounts. Naturally, OBJ would not employ Okonjo but for the fact that he needed her for the IMF and world bank to believe that we were ready to fully imbibe their policies with this their new inside-woman as Minister of Finance.

So we see that after our debt problem was taken care of, the woman was booted out immediately. That woman is good, but she's not good for Nigeria.

Whatever happened though is the fault of the President which at that time was OBJ. But since he's no more there, the President still needs to be held accountable so Yar'Adua should pay. This is what we want to see when we talk about when we say continuity in government.

I did not like the fact that Okonjo PUBLICLY stated that she would not accept her country's currency as legal tender, but all the same, she rightfully earned every penny. The Presidency should be made to return that money from it allowances.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by adconline(m): 1:09am On Jul 23, 2007
I thought FG said that they were paid from UNDP funds for expatriates
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by obong(m): 4:02am On Jul 23, 2007
There are system administrators in the US who earn more than what the woman was earning.

i dont know what system admins hve to do with ministers, but her salary was higher than many ministers in the states. nevertheless she shouldnt have to pay anything back. what i love about the ruling is they shouldnt have been paid in dollars.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by denex: 9:44am On Jul 23, 2007
Yes. They shouldn't have been paid in dollars at all. Especially that Okonjo woman that publicly declared that should could not accept the Naira as a legal tender. I was irritated.

Well, that's all dead and gone now. The Presidency should be made to refund that money because at the end of the day, Okonjo was like the Central reason why we could shed about $30 billion of debt.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Mandora(f): 9:51am On Jul 23, 2007
Asking dem 2 refund salaries dat dey had been paid along time ago is simply ridiculus. Dat wld b crying over spit milk dey shld rather seek ways of enforcing laws dat ensure there's no repeat of such incidents. D culprit here is OBJ he's wat we refer 2 in my language as an adult who doesn't knw dat while eating d soup he shldn't just dig in, but he shld take it gently
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by angel101(f): 9:57am On Jul 23, 2007
N206m is a lot of money o
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Seun(m): 11:31am On Jul 23, 2007
There's nothing wrong with paying Ngozi Ozonzo-Iweala in dollars. Afterall, her family is in the US!!
The problem with paying the salary in naira is that it would seem to be a very large amount of money.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Roadblock: 12:47pm On Jul 23, 2007
this is a case of cricifying the chiken for laying a small egg, the person that was feeding the chicken should be the one to pay. But I am enjoying what is happening now. A lot would have be learnt by the end of this year. How I wish that baba would pay for those careless and uncaring ways he handled this country.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by spoilt(f): 4:53am On Jul 24, 2007
Seun:

There's nothing wrong with paying Ngozi Ozonzo-Iweala in dollars. Afterall, her family is in the US!!
The problem with paying the salary in naira is that it would seem to be a very large amount of money.

seun cool down oh!
do you know how many nigerians have their families in the u.s and arent being paid in dollars? if that was the criteria then a lot of us would be receiving our wages in foreign currency. grin
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by violent(m): 6:43pm On Feb 13, 2010
Does it mean i'd have to bore myself with the stupid details of whatever constitution of a country is before i can negotiate my own pay for a particular job?
If anything, Obasanjo should be held responsible not "blasted" as the post suggest. . . and the question is who will bell the Liger?
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by seanet01: 2:59am On Feb 04, 2013
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by dinggle: 3:38am On Feb 04, 2013
OBJ should be the one to make the refund, he violated the law not Ngozi, Ngozi had the right to her demand and OBJ should have respected the law by picking someone else.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by manny4life(m): 4:21am On Feb 04, 2013
As long as laws were violated, it's not for NOI to pay that back. What if they don't pay? What will they do? Who gives this kind of one-eyed ruling? Abeg, the money has been spent, they should reverse their decision else they'll shame themselves once again.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by seanet01: 4:58am On Feb 04, 2013
manny4life: As long as laws were violated, it's not for NOI to pay that back. What if they don't pay? What will they do? Who gives this kind of one-eyed ruling? Abeg, the money has been spent, they should reverse their decision else they'll shame themselves once again.
See Hypocrisy!
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Napoleondegreat: 6:22am On Feb 04, 2013
Uche2nna: I honestly do not know why fingers are pointing to Iweala and co. If there is any one liable of breaking the law here, it has to be OBJ. He was not forced to pay them the said amount in the said currency, neither did Iweala steal the money from the FG. She stated her worth and OBJ complied. If by complying some law was broken then fingers should be pointing towards OBJ and not Iweala. Na wa for this country oooooo!!!! Refund ke!!!!!

My dear the whole episode is like going to purchase cars for a compay you work for, then after negotiating with the manufacturer the price and terms of delivery, the manufacturer complied with the agreement you reached with him and the transaction was successfully done. Then when some of the cars might damaged while using them after many years, the company suddenly discovered that the cost of the cars was actually beyond its purchasing power and that you actually paid for these cars not following its rules and regulation.

Now my question is who will the company hold responsible for misappropriating its fund? Is it the manufacturer or the person that did the purchasing? I think the rational thing the company will do in this case is to hold the staff responsible for it woes and not to force the manufacturer to pay back some of the money used in purchasing the cars.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Napoleondegreat: 6:25am On Feb 04, 2013
Uche2nna: I honestly do not know why fingers are pointing to Iweala and co. If there is any one liable of breaking the law here, it has to be OBJ. He was not forced to pay them the said amount in the said currency, neither did Iweala steal the money from the FG. She stated her worth and OBJ complied. If by complying some law was broken then fingers should be pointing towards OBJ and not Iweala. Na wa for this country oooooo!!!! Refund ke!!!!!
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by bloodless: 12:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
naijaking1: A big abuse of the law and an impediment to future recruitment of foreign based Nigerians.

The ruling should have either compelled the government to level the playing field for other ministers, pay back the alleged sum, or even prohibited future hiring or paying of salary in foreign currency.

These ministers actually lost money returning to serve in naija.

I know a friend with $500k gross who went to earn $125K in a naija parastatal, I'll see if he too is asked to pay back his salary.

Anyway, so much for returning home to contribute.

Wow, I can only say wow...The laws of nigeria was blatantly broken by the president and because of sentiments you are questioning the judicial for acting according to the laws? When I say nigeria's problem is not politicians but nigerians themselves...What kind of madness is this?

Like mentioned earlier too, finance minister who wanted to collect salary in different tender...shocking!
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by 9jatriot(m): 8:24pm On Sep 28, 2016
Tiny drops make the ocean. I wonder how much this has contributed to our plight today. we may never know.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by CodeTemplar: 2:22am On Jul 21, 2018
Good throwback!
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by meccuno: 4:58am On Jul 21, 2018
naijaking1:

Without pretending to be more patriotic than others, the fact is that every job and consequent pay has to obey some form of market forces.

If a government anywhere in the World offers me an x amt of money for a y amt of job, it does not make sense to go back and start quoting some constitution that should have been quoted when the deal was been struck in the first place.

Yes, some people may want to work for naija for a penny, kudos to them, but people who put in an honest work should be paid the agreed upon sum.

Whether you are one of the 5 world pediatric reconstructive cardiothoracic surgeon making $1.8-2M in LA or Atlanta, or you're a gifted soccer player making $1M in Europe, the naija government ought to attempt to pay you what your are worth, without fearing that a court would turn around and penalize in the future.

You just can't force an individual to loose his or her level of income all in the name patrotism, and so that politicians will have enough to steal.
If you can't afford the person who earns $1m yearly, then you move on. I am sure Okonjo-Iwuala did not lobby for her job, instead OBJ lobbied her out of the World bank.

Naija people no dey understand salary. That's why the government can afford to owe people for more than 2 months without pay, and yet there will be no riot.

If you earn every kobo of your salary, there is no way someone could hold on to it without expecting a revolution. Period.
thank God people like you still exist
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by fyneguy: 12:04pm On Jul 22, 2018
naijaking1:

Without pretending to be more patriotic than others, the fact is that every job and consequent pay has to obey some form of market forces.

If a government anywhere in the World offers me an x amt of money for a y amt of job, it does not make sense to go back and start quoting some constitution that should have been quoted when the deal was been struck in the first place.

Yes, some people may want to work for naija for a penny, kudos to them, but people who put in an honest work should be paid the agreed upon sum.

Whether you are one of the 5 world pediatric reconstructive cardiothoracic surgeon making $1.8-2M in LA or Atlanta, or you're a gifted soccer player making $1M in Europe, the naija government ought to attempt to pay you what your are worth, without fearing that a court would turn around and penalize in the future.

You just can't force an individual to loose his or her level of income all in the name patrotism, and so that politicians will have enough to steal.
If you can't afford the person who earns $1m yearly, then you move on. I am sure Okonjo-Iwuala did not lobby for her job, instead OBJ lobbied her out of the World bank.

Naija people no dey understand salary. That's why the government can afford to owe people for more than 2 months without pay, and yet there will be no riot.

If you earn every kobo of your salary, there is no way someone could hold on to it without expecting a revolution. Period.

Are you a lawyer?

Why do Nigerians like rubbing their ignorance on people's faces?
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by mekaboy(m): 12:15pm On Jul 22, 2018
Why don't they arrest obasanjo for abuse of power then?
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Lipscomb(m): 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2018
This woman should not go unpunished.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by Enice(m): 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2018
naijaking1:
A big abuse of the law and an impediment to future recruitment of foreign based Nigerians.

The ruling should have either compelled the government to level the playing field for other ministers, pay back the alleged sum, or even prohibited future hiring or paying of salary in foreign currency.

These ministers actually lost money returning to serve in naija.

I know a friend with $500k gross who went to earn $125K in a naija parastatal, I'll see if he too is asked to pay back his salary.

Anyway, so much for returning home to contribute.
Stop this rubbish of lying that you know a friend the left a job of $500k for one of $125k cause obviously, you don't. Why do I say so? Cause you don't know the difference between a contractual agreement with government and a Federal ministerial appointment in government. A contractual agreement is regulated by the bureau of public procurement, it has not limit so long as there is a certificate of no objection and a go ahead from FEC. A federal ministerial appointment is regulated by the constitution and NASS. The executive have no powers over it except to implement.
Re: Dollar Salaries: Court Orders Okonjo-iweala, Adeniji To Refund N206m by CodeTemplar: 2:44pm On Jul 22, 2018
meccuno:
thank God people like you still exist
You don't get it? Same Iweala later preached against the dollarozation of the economy when Jonathan tenure was winding up.

She clearly contradicted herself. Didn't she realize the effect of dollar payment in Naira based system on time?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thank God For Little Mercies / Legislators Offer N200,000 For Official Vehicles Bought For N6m In 2008 / Boko Haram To Bomb Lagos - Unconfirmed Intelligence Reports!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.