Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans (741 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / White Americans Seeking African Roots In Nigeria / Europeans And Asians Learning Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by ANON333: 4:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
This might not be the best platform to direct this question but still we have a handfull diaspora both in America and Europe. I want to know:

Do white americans have a distinctive physical appearance compared to their white European cousins?

We all would agree whether or not you've been to the west hemisphere that there is a slightly marked difference in the facial(physical makeup) appearance of black Americans when compared with we their purer breed African cousins. This was as a result of mass admixture amongst several Africans groups and also on another hand through the sexual exploitation of African women by white slavers.
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by Snitch24(m): 6:01pm On Sep 10, 2021
Na watin they bother
You be this ?
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by Emilokoiyawon: 10:14pm On Sep 11, 2021
They are European Americans just as black Americans are African Americans.
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by RedboneSmith(m): 10:58pm On Sep 11, 2021
Nope. No phenotypic deferences between White Americans and Europeans.

Whereas a significant percentage of African-Americans have enough white and Native American genetic contribution to look quite distinct from Africans, White Americans do not have enough non-European genetic contribution to appear distinct from Europeans. Blame it on the One Drop Rule, which White Americans used to keep their gene pool as clean as possible (it's still not squeaky clean, but they tried) , while everyone else's pool got muddied.

3 Likes

Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by ANON333: 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2021
@RedboneSmith
Very smart contribution, thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by Ekealterego: 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2021
RedboneSmith:

Whereas a significant percentage of African-Americans have enough white and Native American genetic contribution to look quite distinct from Africans, White Americans do not have enough non-European genetic contribution to appear distinct from Europeans. Blame it on the One Drop Rule, which White Americans used to keep their gene pool as clean as possible (it's still not squeaky clean, but they tried) , while everyone else's pool got muddied.
African Americans looking significantly different from Africans is the biggest myth ever. On TV maybe, in the streets, the Igbos look more "African Americans" than African Americans in most cities.
The representation on media and or in the showbiz industry might favour those with certain features or skin colour which in itself is a vestige of what happened during slavery.

Go to the streets of Louisiana or many places in the South and you will discover that they are more black people there on the average than Igbos on the street.

Go to the streets of NY, put an average Igbo and AA side by side, number for number, you will probably find more light skinned Igbos. Except for those who are obviously half black or quarter black.
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by ANON333: 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
@Ekealterego you have a point though you seem to allude unnecessary importance on the complexion of the Igbo except if you were just making an example cause Igbos are just exactly like other ethnicities in the country.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by RedboneSmith(m): 5:32pm On Sep 12, 2021
Ekealterego:

African Americans looking significantly different from Africans is the biggest myth ever. On TV maybe, in the streets, the Igbos look more "African Americans" than African Americans in most cities.
The representation on media and or in the showbiz industry might favour those with certain features or skin colour which in itself is a vestige of what happened during slavery.

Go to the streets of Louisiana or many places in the South and you will discover that they are more black people there on the average than Igbos on the street.

Go to the streets of NY, put an average Igbo and AA side by side, number for number, you will probably find more light skinned Igbos. Except for those who are obviously half black or quarter black.

"A significant percentage", I said. I never said all of them. I never even said the majority of them. And I stand by what I said; it isn't based off TV.

It is also telling that your point is centered around the narrow comparison with the Igbo (a demographic that had been noted for higher-than-average occurrence of light skin since the 18th century) rather than with the general black African population.
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by Ekealterego: 6:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
RedboneSmith:

"A significant percentage", I said. I never said all of them. I never even said the majority of them. And I stand by what I said; it isn't based off TV.

It is also telling that your point is centered around the narrow comparison with the Igbo (a demographic that had been noted for higher-than-average occurrence of light skin since the 18th century) rather than with the general black African population.

I understand your point. Of course, one won't campare the AA against Southern Sudanese for example but it won't be appropriate comparing them against Ethiopians for instance.

My point is Africa by itself is a very very diverse country. Even with an ethnic group in Nigeria, you could see that the claims of being "different" based on skin tones may not be very accurate.
It all depends on the demography you are making your comparison against.
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by ANON333: 6:13am On Sep 13, 2021
Black Americans should be compared with west and central Africans with whom they share ancestry ties cause most victims of the Atlantic slave trade were taken from here. The hype about Igbos being different in complexion and co. is over exaggerated. What sets groups apart in south and central Nigeria are mere culture derived mannerisms.
In Nigeria there exist three phenotypical variations: Igbo-Kanuri-Fulani.
Typical Kanuris(including some Hausas) are nilotic
Fulanis are a crossbreed between Berbers and black tribes,
While Igbos are proper regular negroes in blood and form like the Yoruba, Ibibio, Igbira, etc
Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by ANON333: 6:24am On Sep 13, 2021
I met a man in Lagos who passed 100% for the stereotypical Yoruba, he had facial tribal marks like a Yoruba, spoke the language like a local and always wore ankara natives. The day someone told me this man was from Enugu I refused to believe until he confirmed it to me himself. When he started speaking Igbo his tribal marks resembled that of my mother.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by laiperi: 1:36pm On Sep 13, 2021
I agree with you on the One drop rule.

But some blacks have beaten it because they look white only to have black kids themselves.

Even Presidential candidates have been accused by their opponents for being Black which had been strenuously denied. It is why they say Obama is not the first Black President.

Africans are probably more mixed than African Americans but the preference for those looking closer to whites in the West Indian and American families push them into limelight especially in jobs like front offices and Pictures (role).

RedboneSmith:

Re: Is There A Noticeable Phenotypical Difference Btw White Americans And Europeans by Ekealterego: 3:14pm On Sep 13, 2021
ANON333:
I met a man in Lagos who passed 100% for the stereotypical Yoruba; he had facial tribal marks like a Yoruba, spoke the language like a local, and always wore ankara natives. The day someone told me this man was from Enugu I refused to believe until he confirmed it to me himself. When he started speaking Igbo his tribal marks resembled that of my mother.
In the North of Enugu, and even some part of Anambra, they share ancestory with Igalas.
I have met someone from Anambra with long tribal marks only to realise that he was Igala...but he speaks Igbo mostly.

At Enugu towards the border with Benue and Kogi, some of them resemble people from Igala and Idoma. Most Igalas look Yoruba.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is A Country Of Good People - Efcc - There Must Be A Good Story Today / Parables_ Post Your Favourites Here / Be Positive:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.