Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,288 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? (666 Views)

Boy, 14, Launches Social-Networking Website / Open Source - A Help Or A Threat To Web Industry / Ebook: A Client's Guide To Web Design/development Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by instinctg(m): 2:54pm On May 24, 2011
I have come across some clients in the past, who have attested to the fact that social networking sites eg Facebook and Twittter has been an effective internet communication tool to satisfy their online presence.
Though i grossly disagree (not because i am in the web business), i still feel these social networking sites have reduced the need for customised websites, despite their limitations, eg customized mailing systems, flexibility to update the site and somewhat a more respected corporate outlook.
So if these challenges exist for an average web developer, how can we benefit from the afforementioned point?
Over to you peeps
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 24, 2011
Infact its a blessing to Web Developers as it allows one to leverage the tools of the API rather than building a social community from scratch and also creates another room for the Social Network Programmers.e.g the Facebook Application will have to be built by a Programmer so i don't see Social Networks as a threat infact its an interesting tool to invest in.trust me when i say that every client i know wants a Facebook Application.so am going back
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by instinctg(m): 9:18am On May 25, 2011
hmmmm, quite interesting
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by Nobody: 11:37am On May 25, 2011
It has been a very great blessing. Let me give you this scenario, just yesterday, a friend of mine who once told me that he needed a website
now told me that he now has a website, i said wow that is good. And i said, so what do you have on your website, and he started listing,
when he finished, i said - does you website connect to facebook, twitter, linkedin. . . . .does your website have a facebook page?
and all the answers were no, i said. . . .well, whoever did the site is either unprofessional or . . . . .

These days, i collect separate money for facebook applications (something that was never in existence before)
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by yawatide(f): 3:20pm On May 25, 2011
Existence of social networking pages have not and will not reduce the need for customized site, generally speaking. Maybe it will, in countries where there is no respect for web developers and where some "webmasters" are willing to charge N1000 for a website but not in other countries. There will always be a need for unique websites.

Having said that, social networking sites should complement regular sites. In fact, I just read and SEO article yesterday that stated that search engines are adding sites with social network buttons as one of their many variables to determine site ranking on the SERPs. Though I create social site pages upon request for "free (not really as I calculate this into the cost of the site)", I don't do updates unless I am paid to do so.

In today's world, one must use ALL arsenal at their disposal, within legal limits of course, to win over the customer. This is as opposed to locking out one avenue over the other just because you think you are smart and that you are saving money by not having say, a website.
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by instinctg(m): 3:38pm On May 25, 2011
Existence of social networking pages have not and will not reduce the need for customized site, generally speaking. Maybe it will, in countries where there is no respect for web developers and where some "webmasters" are willing to charge N1000 for a website but not in other countries. There will always be a need for unique websites.

Having said that, social networking sites should complement regular sites. In fact, I just read and SEO article yesterday that stated that search engines are adding sites with social network buttons as one of their many variables to determine site ranking on the SERPs. Though I create social site pages upon request for "free (not really as I calculate this into the cost of the site)", I don't do updates unless I am paid to do so.

In today's world, one must use ALL arsenal at their disposal, within legal limits of course, to win over the customer. This is as opposed to locking out one avenue over the other just because you think you are smart and that you are saving money by not having say, a website

fellas making more sense
Re: Are Social Networking Sites A Threat To Web Developers ? by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 25, 2011
@yawatide donde esta la pais donde sites are done for 1000 pesos?

(1) (Reply)

Www.networksolution.net Does Not Open On Mobile Broadband / Who Will Design My Homepage For Only $100 / Hackers Destroyed A Pump Used By A Us Water Utility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.