Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,322 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth (12954 Views)

Messi, Inter Miami CF 1-2 Houston Dynamo: Miami Lost US Open Cup Final / Tennis: From Grass To Grace, Emma Raducanu Emerges US Open Champion / US Open 2021: Emma Raducanu Faces Fellow Teenager Leylah Fernandez In Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by oluwaseyi02(m): 10:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
Raducanu beat fellow teenager Leylah Fernandez 6-4 6-3 to end Britain's 44-year wait for a women's Grand Slam singles champion.

"I send my congratulations to you on your success," the Queen said.
"It is a remarkable achievement at such a young age, and is testament to your hard work and dedication."

In a statement, the monarch added: "I have no doubt your outstanding performance, and that of your opponent Leylah Fernandez, will inspire the next generation of tennis players."

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "What a sensational match! Huge congratulations to Emma Raducanu.

"You showed extraordinary skill, poise and guts and we are all hugely proud of you."
It was a historic night for British sport's newest star which led pundits to predict big things and seemingly brought the UK to a standstill...

Virginia Wade, who was present at Arthur Ashe Stadium to witness Raducanu's win, was the last British woman to win a Grand Slam singles title - at Wimbledon in 1977.
In an unprecedented run Raducanu became the first qualifier to win a major and has done so without dropping a set.

"A star is born," tennis legend Martina Navratilova said. "Emma Raducanu makes history and she is just getting started."

Former British number one Greg Rusedski, speaking to Amazon Prime, added: "She is going to be a multi-Grand Slam winner, a world number one.

"She is the real deal and it is a breath of fresh air having an 18-year-old win the event."
Raducanu, whose run to the fourth round at Wimbledon earlier this summer is her only other Grand Slam appearance, will take home £1.8m in prize money and rise from 150th to 23rd in the world rankings.

Former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash described her success as "mindboggling".
"This [a qualifier winning a Grand Slam] is something I never could have believed would happen," the Australian said on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think I am going to wake up. It is so unbelievable. It is flabbergasting to see this performance."

Tim Henman, another ex-British number one who was courtside in his role working for Amazon, said: "She will win more of these [Grand Slams], she is that good.
"This is not some flash in the pan or fairytale. She is playing 'top-five tennis'.
"Her world will be turned upside down but she has good people around her and it will be a hell of a ride if she can stay injury free."

Raducanu won the title with a classy performance in a high-calibre match against Canada's Fernandez that lasted almost two hours.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/58533034

11 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by phemmyfour: 5:52am On Sep 13, 2021
A star is born....she'll no longer participate from the qualifying stage

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by ojun50(m): 5:52am On Sep 13, 2021
Yea and beautiful

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by wizelink(m): 5:52am On Sep 13, 2021
Great
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Neimar: 5:52am On Sep 13, 2021
Na Djoker loss sweet me pass grin

6 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Bishop1monte(m): 5:53am On Sep 13, 2021
Who are these people commenting above
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by pepetua(m): 5:53am On Sep 13, 2021
Congrats

1 Like

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Pstjoel(m): 5:53am On Sep 13, 2021
OK, we don hear
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by CondemnBattery(f): 5:53am On Sep 13, 2021
Whoa congrats to her and hers
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Forgodsgrace: 5:53am On Sep 13, 2021
Which legitimate viable businesses can give at least 20,000 Naira profit daily with an investment of 2m?
I mean serious businesses and I am not interested in those forex ,Agroinvestment,Ponzi or cryptocurrency.

akintundeforgrace18 @ g mail. Com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by QuickStandard: 5:55am On Sep 13, 2021
Many congratulations to her, the Queen and the entire British people.

Nothing feels better than winning.

Same way Mourinho felt after Roma's stoppage-time winner yesterday.

Kudos to her. I wish her many more successes.

Please see my signature below. I buy all used inverter batteries

3 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Charly500(m): 5:56am On Sep 13, 2021
Congrats !! all the hard work certainly paying off
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by vb0mb(m): 5:56am On Sep 13, 2021
I am coming to be the first Nigerian

5 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by ichommy(m): 5:56am On Sep 13, 2021
She surprised everyone, from Qualifications stage at 18 years old. 150 WTA Ranking.

5 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by akanbiaa(m): 5:57am On Sep 13, 2021
Good
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Full310: 5:57am On Sep 13, 2021
I'm crushing on her already
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by winterfell007(m): 5:58am On Sep 13, 2021
Britain Don finally win the US female Open for the first time in twenty years. UK no go let us hear word. If na world cup dey win nko? undecided undecided

16 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Samnavy: 5:58am On Sep 13, 2021
K
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by BigDawsNet: 6:04am On Sep 13, 2021
cheesy she's doing great

I wanna see more of her with my favorite Williams and osaka
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Sharon6(f): 6:05am On Sep 13, 2021
Wow! Congratulations and best wishes to her.
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by adonainana: 6:06am On Sep 13, 2021
Forgodsgrace:
Which legitimate viable businesses can give at least 20,000 Naira profit daily with an investment of 2m?
I mean serious businesses and I am not interested in those forex ,Agroinvestment,Ponzi or cryptocurrency.

akintundeforgrace18 @ g mail. Com

Nightclub business, I own and run a nightclub business and a hotel,

The business involves hosting parties at the night club with a prefereable budget, for instance the plan may be to bring a mid class artiste to the club , in return tables reservations are made, and expensive drinks are sold

Mark up to about 100 percent

The only way to make crazy money in Nigeria today is to market your product to yahoo boys who dont really know the value of money they didnt work for

The money you will make back in return is like blood money

You dont even need up to half of the 2million you mentioned above

3 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by whela(m): 6:07am On Sep 13, 2021
Absolutely fantastic
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Kobicove(m): 6:08am On Sep 13, 2021
A new comer winning this tournament is amazing.

In the world of sports there's always an opportunity to set a new record grin
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Cmanforall: 6:08am On Sep 13, 2021
The Queen has spoken

1 Like

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by nairavsdollars(f): 6:11am On Sep 13, 2021
Two unseeded ladies in US open final

1 Like

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by janedonez(m): 6:13am On Sep 13, 2021
Ok
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by greenie77: 6:14am On Sep 13, 2021
So young and skilled.
Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by Taiwojon(m): 6:16am On Sep 13, 2021
Good one.

We are all born champion but sins and iniquities all hinder many progress just like the wicked one of this world does not want anyone to succeed.

But
Jesus love us and he wants the best for us, that is why he died for us to redeem us from that wicked one and to unleash our potential.

There is no way our potential could be release, if we still dwell in sins.

Jesus love you and he want you all to repent and turn away from your sins.

Jesus saves

4 Likes

Re: Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth by israelmao(m): 6:18am On Sep 13, 2021
New stars are emerging in the world of tennis old ones are being faced out.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ndidi Wins Leicester City Young Player Of The Year Award / Hugo Broos Has Not Resigned. / Clarence Seedorf To Arrive Nigeria For Heineken UEFA Champions League Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.