Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. (1089 Views)

Houses Demolished In Eti-osa As Lagos Gov't Cracks Down On Illegal Structures / How To Calculate Materials Needed For Beam And Slab (decking) - Diy / 5 Bedroom Duplex - Open Decking (slab) PHOTOS - 1 Plot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 11:19pm On Sep 12, 2021
Our firm was called upon to correct the cracks on the first-floor slab (decking) of an abandoned building which was left uncompleted for a very long time.
After inspecting the cracks, we got to realise that the cracks were due to poor edge and continuous reinforcements for the hogging moments near the beams, thus leading to serious deflections which caused such cracks.
Now, our firm is supposed to correct such anomalies, and also to complete the building.
I am the one that is supposed to come up with a good Long-Lasting solution to the problem.
How can someone take care of the problems?
(Should I crack open the slabs in order to introduce more reinforcement rods?? Or are there better alternatives to salvage the situation??)

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 11:30pm On Sep 12, 2021

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by tk4rd: 6:19am On Sep 13, 2021
Lalasticlala,
Seun
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:22am On Sep 13, 2021
Stop the building sell the land and move on.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 11:25am On Sep 13, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
Stop the building sell the land and move on.
We were not the ones who started the building from scratch, and we were not the ones built it up to the level it is now.
The building had been at that stage since many years ago.
We were just involved recently by the clients in order to salvage the building, and then, complete it and hand it over.
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 12:20pm On Sep 13, 2021
Please you comments are needed here.
Thanks.
Sonnobax15, jumpandpas, saferoom, hisgrace090, bewildered, madgoat, Rexnegro, Charisdesigns, 9niceguy, akaahs, matify83, Nauttyprof, Myer, alizma, Dedemworld, Saynotoapc, Sirchef, HOLAROCKDAY, danduchi, NaijaCoverBlog, Bigfish121, Rebuke, Zionthelion, kudinkarfe, Efobiandrew83, majamajic, fineboynl, AvalonSpace, blaise26abj, lonesome501, ArchyDesmond, SarkinYarki, Goswill1208, Chelshit080, Eriokanmi, liver123, arcnomec, agent01, professore, seunayantokun, enambobo, EndBuhariNow, ebuclassic18, jogsman01, Calfat01, Munzy14, BananaPeel, Reference, VicM6, Aforxzy, highoctane, Eze2000, okoroemeka, ThinkSmarter, randomme, pennywys, GodsOwn2004, drake2, kebliss, adanny01, Gbotun, zedman1, don4real18, jojoki, Gentlealibu, EmptyGarden, quentin06, Aarenasbaba, onojalynk, MrOkenwa, kebliss, SimplePlan34, UTEWUOJO, MadamExcellency, EgunMogaji2, kalasexy, All4good, mayorphilz, Jossy07, Zif82, Houston20, umykal, Kolisky, Nauttyprof, sirqeeboi, CashVessel, Zaxinorepub, Topman0001, jpride, Makaveli217, Hatesin,
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 12:23pm On Sep 13, 2021
My dear intellectuals (both in the field of practice, and in the wealth of knowledge)..
Please what's your take on this current situation described above?

BluntCrazeMan:
Please you comments are needed here.
Thanks.
Sonnobax15, jumpandpas, saferoom, hisgrace090, bewildered, madgoat, Rexnegro, Charisdesigns, 9niceguy, akaahs, matify83, Nauttyprof, Myer, alizma, Dedemworld, Saynotoapc, Sirchef, HOLAROCKDAY, danduchi, NaijaCoverBlog, Bigfish121, Rebuke, Zionthelion, kudinkarfe, Efobiandrew83, majamajic, fineboynl, AvalonSpace, blaise26abj, lonesome501, ArchyDesmond, SarkinYarki, Goswill1208, Chelshit080, Eriokanmi, liver123, arcnomec, agent01, professore, seunayantokun, enambobo, EndBuhariNow, ebuclassic18, jogsman01, Calfat01, Munzy14, BananaPeel, Reference, VicM6, Aforxzy, highoctane, Eze2000, okoroemeka, ThinkSmarter, randomme, pennywys, GodsOwn2004, drake2, kebliss, adanny01, Gbotun, zedman1, don4real18, jojoki, Gentlealibu, EmptyGarden, quentin06, Aarenasbaba, onojalynk, MrOkenwa, kebliss, SimplePlan34, UTEWUOJO, MadamExcellency, EgunMogaji2, kalasexy, All4good, mayorphilz, Jossy07, Zif82, Houston20, umykal, Kolisky, Nauttyprof, sirqeeboi, CashVessel, Zaxinorepub, Topman0001, jpride, Makaveli217, Hatesin,

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by OgogoroFreak(m): 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2021
If God wan punish you, he go allow you build story building on that death trap like that.

Why not clip the whole foundation like the image below and pour concrete?

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by Munzy14(m): 1:13pm On Sep 13, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Our firm was called upon to correct the cracks on the slab of a building which was left uncompleted for a very long time.
After inspecting the cracks, we got to realise that the cracks were due to poor edge reinforcements for the hogging moments near the beams that caused such cracks.
Now, our firm is supposed to correct such anomalies, and to complete the building.
I am the one that is supposed to come up with a good Long-Lasting solution to the problem.
(Should I crack open the slabs in order to introduce more reinforcement rods?? Or are there better alternatives to salvage the situation??)
From my point of understanding, you have figured out the problem...drag the bull by it's horn...Go ahead mark out the affected partition, crack and reinforce with a better steel..

Even in amendment/renovations it still same process..Just be bold at your decision...The slab probably sagged in due to poor reinforcement or improper use of reinforcement and binding materials...

Just proceed with the plans you have...

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BrabusNG: 1:55pm On Sep 13, 2021
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by EgunMogaji2: 3:40pm On Sep 13, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
My dear intellectuals (both in the field of practice, and in the wealth of knowledge)..

Please permit me to defer to the seniors in class.

Also reach out to AbdulWastecx.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by GodsOwn2004(m): 7:14pm On Sep 13, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

@BluntCrazMan

Going by one of your building slab photos, the crack runs from one edge of the slab to the other,, akin to a dividing line separating the slab into two parts on plan.

Did you examine this building to be sure there is no foundation settlement in either direction.

First ascertain there is no foundation settlement.

Also request for the structural drawings of the building prior to executing any remediation work.

2 Likes

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by Aforxzy(f): 9:39pm On Sep 13, 2021
This looks bad and it seems there has been an attempt to repair the slab.

Is this on the ground or suspended floor?
Do show the section through the building.

How wide / deep is the crack and where exactly is it. Are the other structural elements showing any sign of weakness or failure. Also confirm if there is any spalling of the concrete..

I will recommend rebound hammer test on the slab as well other structural elements at strategic places first to determine the strength of the concrete since they have been expose for awhile.

If the concrete is strong enough then we can proffer a solution to remedy the situation.... Otherwise..

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by All4good: 11:12pm On Sep 13, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Our firm was called upon to correct the cracks on the slab of a building which was left uncompleted for a very long time.
After inspecting the cracks, we got to realise that the cracks were due to poor edge reinforcements for the hogging moments near the beams that caused such cracks.

What do you mean by "inspecting the cracks"? Was it all the assessment you conducted on the building? If so that was grossly inadequate. Problem is NOT from the beams.

I think further inspection will reveal that differential settlement of edge columns have taken place to result in the slab hogging.

I would advise a non-destructive impact assessment of all structural elements in the building to ascertain suitability to continue with the existing structure.

Is there a structural design drawing at your disposal this would also come in handy as you progress testing.
Shalom

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by NaijaCoverBlog(m): 11:31pm On Sep 13, 2021
Apply The Best Solution And Your problem willl be over
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 8:57am On Sep 14, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
If God wan punish you, he go allow you build story building on that death trap like that.

Why not clip the whole foundation like the image below and pour concrete?
That's first floor slab in the original post ooo.
Suspended floor (Decking).
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 8:58am On Sep 14, 2021
GodsOwn2004:

@BluntCrazMan

Going by one of your building slab photos, the crack runs from one edge of the slab to the other,, akin to a dividing line separating the slab into two parts on plan.

Did you examine this building to be sure there is no foundation settlement in either direction.

First ascertain there is no foundation settlement.

Also request for the structural drawings of the building prior to executing any remediation work.
Thanks
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 9:01am On Sep 14, 2021
NaijaCoverBlog:
Apply The Best Solution And Your problem willl be over
grin grin cheesy

And what solution is that “Best Solution” which you're talking about?

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2021
Aforxzy:

How wide / deep is the crack and where exactly is it. Are the other structural elements showing any sign of weakness or failure. Also confirm if there is any spalling of the concrete..

I will recommend rebound hammer test on the slab as well other structural elements at strategic places first to determine the strength of the concrete since they have been expose for awhile.

If the concrete is strong enough then we can proffer a solution to remedy the situation.... Otherwise..
It's first floor slab (Decking).
It's suspended floor
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 1:31pm On Sep 14, 2021
Aforxzy:

Thanks
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by BluntCrazeMan: 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2021
All4good:

What do you mean by "inspecting the cracks"? Was it all the assessment you conducted on the building? If so that was grossly inadequate. Problem is NOT from the beams.

I think further inspection will reveal that differential settlement of edge columns have taken place to result in the slab hogging.

I would advise a non-destructive impact assessment of all structural elements in the building to ascertain suitability to continue with the existing structure.

Is there a structural design drawing at your disposal this would also come in handy as you progress testing.
Shalom
Thanks so much
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by highoctane: 10:19am On Sep 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Our firm was called upon to correct the cracks on the first-floor slab (decking) of an abandoned building which was left uncompleted for a very long time.
After inspecting the cracks, we got to realise that the cracks were due to poor edge and continuous reinforcements for the hogging moments near the beams, thus leading to serious deflections which caused such cracks.
Now, our firm is supposed to correct such anomalies, and also to complete the building.
I don't know if you carried out site inspection before accepting the job, if the pictures you posted here are true, my advice, there is a time to tear down what was built and a time to raise anew what was torn down.
Your primary concern should be based on HSE policy.

2 Likes

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by matify83: 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

A picture would be more elucidating
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:

Stop highlighting me, you people should be matured enough to engage iin discussions, stop the juvenile quip, its very lame.
Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by fineboynl(m): 8:01am On Sep 16, 2021
From what I can see there has been several attempt to repair that crack. And Unluckily for you, your firm was not the first people to have been contacted to solve that problem.

I will explain in a diagram why that is Happening. Either one side or both side is faulty. I would advise you pay attention to the foundation if there is a kind of submerge. You might need to take a measurement if anything has changed from the time the deck was made. Also is that the only cracks?

Just Pour water at the crasks and check which side if flows to.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by matify83: 7:50pm On Sep 20, 2021
Any remediation work done on that deck again would still give way .

Like many have suggested, rule out foundation settling as a cause of this crevice.

My best bet would be you "tear down" the whole structure as vibrations during repairs may weaken the whole building making it an accident waiting to happen.

The truth is bitter.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by matify83: 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2021
Notice also that the pillars suspending this deck are cast in 12 mm rod.

A shoddy job was carried out here ab initio.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Slab Cracks Appeared Along The Beam Positions Due To Hogging Moments. by Makaveli217(m): 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2021
As mentioned earlier, it's best to tear down the slaps and recast new one. It seems the person who did the job did a poor job.
I doubt if the foundation is a solid one, I suggest you bring an engineer to carry out certain test on the environment, soil, and the foundation itself and also on the pillars if there's any.

If there are already made pillars, you can tear them down and rebuild it, and also you can add external pillers for extra strength, or start everything afresh to be on a safer side and also avoid stories that touch.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Furniture / Properties For Sale In Ikeja, Surulere, Isolo, Amuwo Odofin, Apapa, Gbagada / Very Standard 3br Flat At Dideolu Estate, Ogba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.