Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat (144 Views)

Rita Johal, Riyad Mahrez's Ex-Wife Says Man City 'Ruined' Their Marriage / Man United's Season Has Not Been A Success - Solskjaer After UEL Final Defeat / Arsenal Miss Out On Champions League With Europa League Final Defeat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat by oluwaseyi02(m): 3:52pm On Sep 14, 2021
Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are not Champions League failures and described last season's performance as an "incredible achievement".

Guardiola's side have not won the competition and were beaten 1-0 by Chelsea in the 2020/21 final.

City get their new campaign underway on Wednesday evening when they welcome RB Leipzig to the Etihad, and Guardiola insists it is wrong to look back on the previous season as a failure.

"People can say Man City was a failure but it was an incredible achievement last season, playing really well in many of the games and losing well against a big contender," the City boss said.

"Every time I start this competition with drive. I'm incredibly happy here. Man City made a step forward last season, we improved a lot. We had 13 games and we won 11.

"We played incredibly well in Porto (in the group stage) when we drew and deserved to win. We lost the final.

"Now we start a new one and
every team wants to win. We're going to try but I won't tell you which team is going to win because I don't know it."

Guardiola added he has learned to live with a perception that he needs to win the Champions League to be judged a success with City.

"I accept it. Every year is the same," he said.

"If I win the Champions League I will be happy for the club. If I'm not able to do it, I'm not able.

"After, you can judge the success of my period."

Rodri insists City have no regrets over last season's final defeat and is determined to go one better this term.

"We had a great season," the Spain midfielder said. "We were proud of what we achieved. It was the first time in our history we reached the final.

"We have no regrets. We will learn from this experience.

"The Champions League is decided by little differences. We have to build another building - a huge building - this season to achieve the Champions League."

The expectation on City to win the Champions League has grown each year but Rodri does not feel extra pressure to deliver.

He said: "We don't have to. It's a dream for all of us but it's not compulsory.

"The Champions League is such an unbelievable tournament where only one wins."

Guardiola has again denied saying he plans on leaving Manchester City when his current contract expires in 2023.

Speaking at an XP Investimentos event last month, Guardiola suggested he would need a rest after seven years in charge and revealed his next ambition is to manage a national team.

The 50-year-old Spaniard, who has won three Premier League titles since joining City in 2016, was quoted as saying in August: "After seven years on this team, I think I'm going to have a stop. I'm going to have to take a break, see what we've done.

"And in the process, I would like to coach a South American (team), European, playing a Copa America, I want to have that experience."

However, when asked about those quotes and his potential plan to leave the club at the end of next season, the City boss replied on Tuesday: "Did I say I'm going to leave next season? I didn't say that.

Cc
Ishilove
Seun
Lalasticlala

Source:

https://m.allfootballapp.com/amp/news/Headline/Guardiola-says-Man-City-not-UCL-failures-despite-last-seasons-final-defeat/2680608

Re: Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat by VoltageDivida(m): 3:55pm On Sep 14, 2021
�� Okds
Re: Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat by Great100000: 6:15pm On Sep 14, 2021
Of course it's not a failure.....

At least Man City reach final even though dey chop am from their Master.
Re: Guardiola Says Man City Not UCL Failures Despite Last Season's Final Defeat by kelsberg007: 7:48pm On Sep 14, 2021
Losing isn't always failure..
Try win am next time..

(1) (Reply)

Highest Odds Review On Leicester City Vs Napoli / Arteta Sees A Bright Future For Arsenal / Chelsea Predicted Lineup Vs Juventus - Champions League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.