Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) (517 Views)

SALE: 5 Bedroom Detached Duplex With Bq In A Serviced Estate, Known As Ocean Ba / Beautiful 4 Bedroom Detached House In A Fully Serviced Estate In Lekki / 4 Bedroom Duplex For Sale In A Serviced Estate, Jedmoon Court Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by dipset01: 10:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
This is an issue that has been on my mind for a while now, and i want to share tonight, service estate.

I have realized many of the Lagos developers are scams, firstly they prices of houses being sold are over inflated, while i give it to them that the quality of finishing for most of the houses on the island are nice, the prices for many of them are outrageous.

However what is most annoying is the new scam, where even after buying the said property for ten of millions the developer will make themselves the appointed estate managers for the said facilities. They begin to charge services charges of almost 500k per annum. My sister lives in one of these so called estate and i can tell you it a scam. They collect all form of monies in the name of service charges. How can i be paying 500k for maintenance fees, is that not almost another house rent in disguise. After paying 40m to buy the house. When you look into the breakdown, you begin to see things like salary for facilities managers, gardeners, generator maintenance etc They tell you, you cant use generator in the estate the estate has a central gen which you pay for maintenance monthly. You can not drill your borehole. Same goes to electricity and water. You cant buy unit from phcn directly but from the estate who sell at a higher rate. Please dont get me wrong for many of these estate they looked well maintained with the flowers trimed but the cost is just too much and are always subjected to upward review.

This is a departure from the past where an estate company develops an estate, puts in the required infrastructure and then compel you to pay the infrastructure fee at time of purchase usually 1m-3m. After paying for your apartment. Then those within the estate can form an association and then the association is responsible for the maintenance and up keep of the estate. Funds these way are properly monitored and accounted for.

Those who own houses within estate need to wake up and fight against this new scam. When you sell something to me, i should own it 100%.You dont tell me how to live or use my house.

4 Likes

Re: The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 15, 2021
dipset01:
This is an issue that has been on my mind for a while now, and i want to share tonight, service estate.

I have realized many of the Lagos developers are scams, firstly they prices of houses being sold are over inflated, while i give it to them that the quality of finishing for most of the houses on the island are nice, the prices for many of them are outrageous.

However what is most annoying is the new scam, where even after buying the said property for ten of millions the developer will make themselves the appointed estate managers for the said facilities. They begin to charge services charges of almost 500k per annum. My sister lives in one of these so called estate and i can tell you it a scam. They collect all form of monies in the name of service charges. How can i be paying 500k for maintenance fees, is that not almost another house rent in disguise. After paying 40m to buy the house. When you look into the breakdown, you begin to see things like salary for facilities managers, gardeners, generator maintenance etc They tell you, you cant use generator in the estate the estate has a central gen which you pay for maintenance monthly. You can not drill your borehole. Same goes to electricity and water. You cant buy unit from phcn directly but from the estate who sell at a higher rate. Please dont get me wrong for many of these estate they looked well maintained with the flowers trimed but the cost is just too much and are always subjected to upward review.

This is a departure from the past where an estate company develops an estate, puts in the required infrastructure and then compel you to pay the infrastructure fee at time of purchase usually 1m-3m. After paying for your apartment. Then those within the estate can form an association and then the association is responsible for the maintenance and up keep of the estate. Funds these way are properly monitored and accounted for.

Those who own estate need to wake up and fight against this new scam. When you sell something to me, i should own it 100%.You dont tell me how to live or use my house.

That's why you should read the terms and conditions before buying any piece of property.

There are still people who chose to buy lands from Omo Onile, despite their troubles, cos they know they want 100% independence. On the flip side, others don't mind paying to live a more sheltered life. C'est la vie!
Re: The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by MMempire(m): 10:32pm On Sep 15, 2021
dipset01:
How can i be paying 500k for maintenance fees, is that not almost another house rent in disguise. After paying 40m to buy the house.
Re: The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by MMempire(m): 10:33pm On Sep 15, 2021
[quote author=MMempire post=105856887][/quote]
Fact!
Re: The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by MMempire(m): 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2021
Scam real estate/property managers and agents.
Re: The New Fraud Done By Developers In Lagos (serviced Estate) by dipset01: 10:49pm On Sep 15, 2021
This is not correct, a house should be an asset rather than a laibility.

infact many mind, unfortunately they have been boxed to a corner, an example is my sister, she could not go through the hassle of omo onile,,land verification etc which can be tedious. so she opted for estate. This is the case for many people. she however did not expect the estate will appoint themselves as sole administrator of the property. These estate already made their profit from the origin house sale, why then continue to milk people dry. Also many of these estate are usually supported with funding by government through the banks to make houses available and affordable to people.
Even in some cases, these estate tell you the lands have cofo if you investigate properly at alausa you will discover this is false.

I think the real estate market needs to be properly legislated and regulated. The government need to also check the activities of these estate companies.

Afriqan:

That's why you should read the terms and conditions before buying any piece of property.

There are still people who chose to buy lands from Omo Onile, despite their troubles, cos they know they want 100% independence. On the flip side, others don't mind paying to live a more sheltered life. C'est la vie!

(1) (Reply)

Land For Sale 30M At Lagos Garage Ijebu Ode, Ogun State Facing Overhead Bridge / Household Items For Sale / Furnished 4 Bedroom Duplex In Seaside Estate, Badore Ajah For Sale!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.