Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,452 members, 7,812,383 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic (19233 Views)

Roadside Assistance Las Vegas: Your Trusted Partner In Times Of Need / Roadside Mechanic Flees With Customer's Car In Imo State / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by sharpwriter(m): 10:25pm On Sep 15, 2021
He has been my Dad's mechanic for long and he's a veteran in the job (I respect him though) but let me still call him a Kazeem grin since hin no dey exotic and formally educated like Oga Gazzuz cheesy

Now, there is this Nissan Primera 2.0LX of the 90's series that I got from my Dad. The engine is good and kicking but I noticed that the steering is hard in turning when the car is stationary.

I told a Kazeem earlier (not this one) about this. He said it is the power steering pump that is faulty.

I looked away and continued driving it like that because I believe I will find a solution later. Also, I still see the power steering fluid in the container, so I believed him and thought the fluid is useless after all since it isn't pumping.

I told our main Kazeem about this and he opened the power steering container while the ignition is on. He said the pump is functioning and that it is the oil that is very low and also that the steering rack is leaking.

He beckoned me to look at it and I saw that the fluid was actually going inside the pipe that led to the steering rack as it should, signifying that the pump is working and that the fluid is low because the base of the container shouldn't have been seen from the top in the first place.

Maybe I misjudged because I believed the first Kazeem. Anyways, I sent him to service the engine and also do the power steering to ease the steering turning.

Now, this is the crux of the matter cheesy :

After servicing, he brought back the car, I checked it, saw that the steering turning was better and easier. He now brought out the used engine oil that was drained from the engine when servicing.

He said that is what I will be using to top the oil in the power steering container. I said I didn't hear you well sir grin

I opened the bonnet and checked the power steering container and I saw that he filled it to the brim with the used semi dark/dark engine oil that was drained from the engine shocked

I was agaped and filled with surprise at the same time (make I no say horror). He was just smiling and talking.

He said instead of me wasting my money that that's what I should use, and that if the one there is low, I should top it with the container he gave me initially (that container is up to 5 litres cheesy

I was just looking at him with wonder and I asked that what if it is all these new generation cars of corolla, camry etc. He said it is the same thing, that he does it very well and it is good as substitute for power steering ATF fluid cheesy

Now, my question to nairaland car gurus and users is that :

What can you say about this? Any similar experience? cheesy

Sorry for the long epistle though.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Born2conquer: 10:30pm On Sep 15, 2021
This one pass the gods o, i will rather buy my power steering oil jejely than have a problem that will cost me more money later.

Burnt engine oil keh

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Goldbw122(m): 10:33pm On Sep 15, 2021
Am done reading, Yeah it will work, the Power steering pump have a slight allowance, so the burnt engine oil will serve as a blockage, to the pump that will make it work well and the steering pump will adapt to the new oil, but dont try it on new power steering pump it will kill the pump.. so good luck.. And try to change it. okk.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by aryzgreat: 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2021
When I was using golf 3, na so one kazeem do me ooo. Used drained out engine oil for my steering pump and it worked till I sold it. But I won't try that in my current Toyota

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by sharpwriter(m): 10:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
Born2conquer:
This one pass the gods o, i will rather buy my power steering oil jejely than have a problem that will cost me more money later.

Burnt engine oil keh
Hahaha.... I understand you baba, I just can't be bothered because the car is an old car and you know skilled workers like mechanics get very confident over the years of practice with successful experiments and conclusion cheesy

14 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by sharpwriter(m): 10:55pm On Sep 15, 2021
aryzgreat:
When I was using golf 3, na so one kazeem do me ooo. Used drained out engine oil for my steering pump and it worked till I sold it. But I won't try that in my current Toyota
Lolz, na so.... I wasn't bothered about the car though cos na old car. If to say I be big boy with big car and e try am, I go spark for am o especially if I have given him money for the replacement.

I'm still going to ask him later if it is only used engine oil that can be substituted for the ATF or new engine oil will suffice too grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by RZArecta(m): 11:41pm On Sep 15, 2021
Have you used condemned engine oil as power steering fluid to travel inter state before ?

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by dru23(m): 4:19am On Sep 16, 2021
Born2conquer:

Burnt engine oil keh

That na small thing... I can recall my old mechanic in Ladipo .. That use to change my engine oil , after the oil change he said nothing goes to waste in Nigeria . he said he will sell to those that hawk for used engine oil .. I said for what now used engine oil .. He said look me .. Those driver danfo drivers and molue drivers use it to service their engine..... I just weak

87 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by StayMotivated: 5:41am On Sep 16, 2021
Don't reuse the engine oil. That oil will might cause your car problem in the future
Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by bluefilm: 5:43am On Sep 16, 2021
dru23:
That na small thing... I can recall my old mechanic in Ladipo .. That use to change my engine oil , after the oil change he said nothing goes to waste in Nigeria . he said he will sell to those that hawk for used engine oil .. I said for what now used engine oil .. He said look me .. Those driver danfo drivers and molue drivers use it to service their engine..... I just weak

People get mind o.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by free2ryhme: 5:44am On Sep 16, 2021
sharpwriter:
He has been my Dad's mechanic for long and he's a veteran in the job (I respect him though) but let me still call him a Kazeem grin since hin no dey exotic and formally educated like Oga Gazzuz cheesy

Now, there is this Nissan Primera 2.0LX of the 90's series that I got from my Dad. The engine is good and kicking but I noticed that the steering is hard in turning when the car is stationary.

I told a Kazeem earlier (not this one) about this. He said it is the power steering pump that is faulty.

I looked away and continued driving it like that because I believe I will find a solution later. Also, I still see the power steering fluid in the container, so I believed him and thought the fluid is useless after all since it isn't pumping.

I told our main Kazeem about this and he opened the power steering container while the ignition is on. He said the pump is functioning and that it is the oil that is very low and also that the steering rack is leaking.

He beckoned me to look at it and I saw that the fluid was actually going inside the pipe that led to the steering rack as it should, signifying that the pump is working and that the fluid is low because the base of the container shouldn't have been seen from the top in the first place.

Maybe I misjudged because I believed the first Kazeem. Anyways, I sent him to service the engine and also do the power steering to ease the steering turning.

After servicing, he brought back the car, I checked it, saw that the steering turning was better and easier. He now brought out the used engine oil that was drained from the engine when servicing.

He said that is what I will be using to top the oil in the power steering container. I said I didn't hear you well sir grin

I opened the bonnet and checked the power steering container and I saw that he filled it to the brim with the used semi dark/dark engine oil that was drained from the engine shocked

I was agaped and filled with surprise at the same time (make I no say horror). He was just smiling and talking.

He said instead of me wasting my money that that's what I should use, and that if the one there is low, I should top it with the container he gave me initially (that container is up to 5 litres cheesy

I was just looking at him with wonder and I asked that what if it is all these new generation cars of corolla, camry etc. He said it is the same thing, that he does it very well and it is good as substitute for power steering ATF fluid cheesy

You are asking for advice when you can clearly see something is wrong with what someone is doing to your vehicle.

If that is how it was designed why has the mechanic not made his own vehicle.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by rex21: 5:50am On Sep 16, 2021
sharpwriter:

[code][/code]

Since its an old car, there is no cause for alarm. Only problem is that the oil might be dirty and clog the power steering. I'v seen these guys do it a thousand times.

20 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Kaybaba5(m): 5:51am On Sep 16, 2021
Nawa
Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by lkillbrokehoes: 5:54am On Sep 16, 2021
Wahala

I can never give my car to a road side mechanic after what they did to my car few years ago, once bitten twice shy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Sonnobax15(m): 5:54am On Sep 16, 2021
lipsrsealed
You don suppose learn from Mr. Ibu and him pikin,pawpaw case na lipsrsealed

Anything roadside no dey thrill me one bit..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by tawigap: 5:55am On Sep 16, 2021
Lol

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by MikeMicheal(m): 5:56am On Sep 16, 2021
I will comment when I wake up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Dtruthspeaker: 5:57am On Sep 16, 2021
free2ryhme:

You are asking for advice when you can clearly see something is wrong with what someone is doing to your vehicle.

If that is how it was designed why has the mechanic not made his own vehicle.

Don't go so overboard now, he was basically sharing a crazy wild experience and is seeking to find if others have experienced this.

He knows the risk and like golf 3 guy said, it worked out well for him.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by iamyemiakins(m): 5:57am On Sep 16, 2021
I have someone that asked for used engine oil from me just for this purpose and I was surprised when he poured it in the power steering fluid container, no try am with 2000s vehicles o

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by fapaweh: 5:58am On Sep 16, 2021
SO what should we do?
Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by IdJack(m): 5:59am On Sep 16, 2021
Na WA ooo,

Op all of them are road side mechanics.

Next time be careful.

Have you visited my signature today.

Click below

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Ademola47(m): 6:03am On Sep 16, 2021
Noted.
Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Administration1: 6:04am On Sep 16, 2021
Ghen ghen, kasim done buy market
Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Drsnives(m): 6:05am On Sep 16, 2021
Which one is road side mechanic again?
As far as am concerned all mechanic workshops dea for road side.

Una too dea find class

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by santakris(m): 6:11am On Sep 16, 2021
I used black oil for my rav 4 and it worked well till I sold it. The idea is that the tick oil will stay longer in your power steering reservoir and will not leak away often like the usual power steering fluid.

Do not use it on newer cars anyway. It might result to expensive repairs.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by femi4: 6:12am On Sep 16, 2021
sharpwriter:

It will damage the power steering seal in the long-run cos the viscosity of engine oil is higher than that of power steering oil

2. A black oil is a used oil that contains impurities that can damage your pump. Not to be reused as such

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by oladipuposadeeq(m): 6:13am On Sep 16, 2021
sharpwriter:

yes one thing I have noticed is that it works perfectly but maybe for old generation cars like golf 3,honda hala and camry orobo but its not advisable to use it in newer models but as per my mecho explained to me, he said the used engine oil becomes very light after been use I mean after the specified period of time its been used therefore making it a substitute for power steering oil besides have you seen where they just finished coupling back a dismantled engine and instead of putting in a clean oil na black oil they go first put to run the engine for a while before putting the clean one. I think its just to save cost but would need to know from them baba in the field to shed more light to this discussion cheesy

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by Drsnives(m): 6:13am On Sep 16, 2021
santakris:
I used black oil for my rav 4 and it worked well till I sold it
I equally use black oil for my bicycle chains too b4 i sold it cool

8 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Roadside Mechanic by 0taPiaPia(m): 6:13am On Sep 16, 2021
StayMotivated:
Don't reuse the engine oil. That oil will might cause your car problem in the future

The guy already said he is not bothered cause the car got no future grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3)

Top 8 Common Car Facts That Are Actually Not True / How Long Did It Take You To Learn How To Drive / Kalashnikov AK-47 Maker To Fight Tesla With This 1970s-styled Electric Supercar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.