Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption (306 Views)

Ndambi Guebuza: Court Jails Mozambican Ex-President Son For 12 Years Over Bribes / UK Sanctions Teodoro Obiang, Equatorial Guinea's VP, 4 Others Over Corruption / Mugabe Appoints Minister For “whatsapp And Facebook” In Zimbabwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption by Geeman2006: 8:21pm On Sep 16, 2021
A Kenyan court on Thursday sentenced a former sports minister to six years in prison after finding him guilty over the siphoning of funds meant for athletes in the Brazil Olympics five years ago.

The East African nation enjoyed its most successful Olympics in Rio, winning six gold medals, six silvers and one bronze in track and field, but the performance was blighted by claims of corruption among senior government officials and team bosses.

A magistrate's court in Nairobi found Hassan Wario, who was the sports minister at the time, guilty of abuse of office in connection with the loss of funds.

Issuing a ruling in the case that started in 2018, the court gave Wario, who was appointed Kenya's ambassador to Austria after serving in the cabinet, the alternative of paying a 3.6 million shillings ($32,742) fine to avoid going to jail.

Stephen Soi, who was the team leader and was tried alongside Wario, was found guilty of corruption and was sentenced to 10 years in prison or a fine of 103 million shillings.

President Uhuru Kenyatta's government charged dozens of senior officials with various crimes in a crackdown against graft in 2018 and 2019.

The Wario case is among the first of those to be concluded.

($1 = 109.9500 Kenyan shillings)

(Reporting by Monicah Mwangi; Writing by Duncan Miriri; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)
Re: Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:38pm On Sep 16, 2021
if they do the same in Nigeria, they will be nobody left to run the gov...
Re: Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption by Bifwoli: 2:09am On Sep 17, 2021
MrBrownJay1:
if they do the same in Nigeria, they will be nobody left to run the gov...
What about Osinbajo or you or those rich preachers? You mean everyone in Nigeria is corrupted?
Re: Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:32am On Sep 17, 2021
Bifwoli:
What about Osinbajo or you or those rich preachers? You mean everyone in Nigeria is corrupted?

- Osinbajo is part of the problem, being a member of a political party that is run like the mafia. he cant go against his own ogas at the top and therefore is just part of the problem. anyone who is a member of PDP, APC etc is NO GOOD FOR NIGERIA!!!! ***SPIT ON FLOOR***

- Rich preachers are no better than the polithieves in power right now. taking from the poor to enrich their own selves. imagine what they do with tithes and think of how many private jets they will now buy with Nigerian gov money. ***SPIT ON FLOOR***

- now if it was for "ME" to govern , that would be another ball game entirely...as i would 1st line all them polithieves and have them shot on sight in public, then bring a new law that anyone seen thieving, looting, yahoo yahoo, kidnappers, arnmed robbers etc should also be shot on sight in public, no questions asked! then i will limit the amount of money given to politicians so as anyone wanting to enrich himself with politics will be fooling themselves. then i will put a free phone line to report anyone in any given gov position who takes a bribe will also be shot in puiblic. then i will only have member of my gov to be 40 or under, if you are 40yr old and 1 day, you are automatically void to be elected. same with governor/deputy/judges etc. anyone who is remotely linked to PDP/APC etc would also be void to be elected,

sadly, do you know how long i would last before they assassinate me (if i come up with such above drastic laws)?!?!?

1 Like

Re: Kenyan Court Jails Ex-sports Minister For Six Years Over Corruption by Cousin9999: 1:18pm On Sep 17, 2021

(1) (Reply)

Female Monarchs That Instigated Wars / Angela Merkel Leaves As German's Chancellor After 16 Years, Olaf Sch Takes Over. / The Wonderful Meaning Of The Brazilian Flag(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.