Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,121 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper (34664 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Senators In Emergency Meeting Over Saraki- Daily Trust / Nigerian Govt Bans Other Para-military Agencies From Use Of Camouflage Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by okunoba(m): 4:41pm On May 26, 2011
@Beaf, I guess you don`t believe in press freedom. The only newspapers allowed by beaf must be pro christians and southerners. The muslim north need a voice just like the christian south. Press freedom is one of the most important aspect of modern day democracy, some of us just don`t know the meaning of that word and what it entails.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Blazing99: 4:50pm On May 26, 2011
So much for Press Freedom in Nigeria.

Sule Lamido, one pig-headed pdp governor
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by edoyad(m): 4:53pm On May 26, 2011
As useless as daily trust is i don't think any govt has the power to ban it, i think that power resides with the judiciary(and that's where they've infringed on rights orhave been involved in malpractice).

But then again after reading the story it seems their reporter was told he wasn't welcome to be part of press team covering the governor. I'm wondering about the legality of that too.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Jarus(m): 5:02pm On May 26, 2011
It's far from being legal.

The meaning is: Just because one Gov Sule Lamido is in a function, a journalist doing his job cannot do his job by reporting the event.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On May 26, 2011
Whilst I see nothing wrong in the state government banning a journalist from some events organised by the state, this appears to be a ban on events where the governor is present. That is wrong!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by camaldina(m): 5:41pm On May 26, 2011
The governor can only ban the journalist if he can prove it legally that he constitute a security threat to him, otherwise all he is doing now is illegality. Why didn't Obama ban Al-Jazeerah from covering his public outing? Nigerian tyrants have been surviving for long because we the masses (including some of the so-called educated youth) foolishly find excuses for their actions and inaction based ethnic and religious sentiments.

For all I know, hunger hurt everyone the same. Let criticize a bad leader be it from your village or your beyond.

If the newspaper is misrepresenting the truth in the governor's opinion, let him go to court.

SHIKAYNA!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Ultrame(m): 5:46pm On May 26, 2011
This oponnu Sule Lamido nitwit is at it again!

The nutjob violated the reporter's basic human rights and his rights to freedom of movement as a citizen of Nigeria by banning him from attending occasions simply because he as the governor is present.

What court issued the injunction to that effect?

I hope the reporter sues his backside for all the dimes he's worth.

BLOODY ANIMAL!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by violent(m): 6:01pm On May 26, 2011
ah!  I wasn't daunted by the foolish acts of the state governor, far from it, one can hardly expect anything reasonable from him judging by his dictatorial approach and his god man complex.

I was however disappointed to read that educated fellows, on whom the country has bestowed a high level of trust, celebrate the gagging of the press. . .wtf? 

When the executive fails, Nigerians turn to the house, when the house fails, the Judiciary becomes our hiding place. . .but when the Judiciary becomes corrupt and bias, the press is all that's left!. . . . .When the press is gagged by a mad man, the nation dies!

If the aforementioned paper was indeed publishing unfounded information as facts, the right thing to do is to sue them for all the penny they aren't worth, not BAN them, like some fcking god!. . .libels and slander suit are perfect tools to keep the press in check, it has always been!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by dustydee: 6:06pm On May 26, 2011
Those in support of this should remember that it will soon come near home.If they did something wrong I think the state can go to court.This move is undemocratic.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 6:23pm On May 26, 2011
violent:

If the aforementioned paper was indeed publishing unfounded information as facts, the right thing to do is to sue them for all the penny they aren't worth, not BAN them, like some fcking god!. . .libels and slander suit are perfect tools to keep the press in check, it has always been!

Bruv, you have to remember that sometimes, due to freedom of press we give, journalists can hide behind a [fictitious] unnamed "source" which suing will not change.

Also a lot of things about reporting can be based on personal interpretations that one can not sue for. Watch an Al-Jazeera report and watch a Fox News report on the same news.

And the news reports you can sue for does not mean your compensation will be significant or even worth your legal fees.

So there is nothing wrong with banning.

Even Alex Ferguson has banned BBC speaking to him for years now.

The only thing wrong here is the audacity to say a journalist is banned from anywhere the Governor is present.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by texazzpete(m): 6:26pm On May 26, 2011
Sagamite:

Bruv, you have to remember that sometimes, due to freedom of press we give, journalists can hide behind a [fictitious] unnamed "source" which suing will not change.

Also a lot of things about reporting can be based on personal interpretations that one can not sue for. Watch an Al-Jazeera report an watch a Fox report on the same news.

And the news reports you can sue for does not mean your compensation will be significant or even worth your legal fees.

The only thing wrong here is the audacity to say a journalist is banned from anywhere the Governor is present.

SAF has refused to give interviews to the BBC. he cannot ban the BBC from speaking to him or writing stories about him. Get your words right.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 6:34pm On May 26, 2011
texazzpete:

SAF has refused to give interviews to the BBC. he cannot ban the BBC from speaking to him or writing stories about him. Get your words right.

Where did I say he banned BBC from writing stories about him?
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by omo9ja1(m): 6:39pm On May 26, 2011
really I do not know well of that newpaper house
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by violent(m): 6:56pm On May 26, 2011
Sagamite:

Also a lot of things about reporting can be based on personal interpretations that one can not sue for. Watch an Al-Jazeera report and watch a Fox News report on the same news.

I agree that certain newspapers are likely to be more of mis-informers and one might better of uninformed in the first place.

That said, i strongly believe it is in the responsibilities of the information ministry to set minimum acceptable guidelines that news vendors must adhere to. 

Banning the press would mean that the government can exercise control over the independent and unbiased nature that should under normal circumstances constitute the firm roots of the press.  This in turn will likely set a very very bad precedent for corrupt governors who ve been looking for every means possible to keep their dirty linens from the public.

If we have a press that is threatened by bans simply because the Governor's beer came late, then we are simply better off without a press to begin with.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by dayokanu(m): 7:01pm On May 26, 2011
And most ppl who are commending Lamido complained when Abacha did a similar thing to TELL and other magazines.

Surely Nigerians are the biggest hypocrite. If a Governor bans thisDay the same ppl commending Lamido would switch stance
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 26, 2011
What happened to "Freedom of the press"?

News do not have to be true they dont have to be entertaining, they dont have to suck up to the Govt, they dont even have to be professional, as long as that freedom still exists.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2011
violent:

I agree that certain newspapers are likely to be more of mis-informers and one might better of uninformed in the first place.

That said, i strongly believe it is in the responsibilities of the information ministry to set minimum acceptable guidelines that news vendors must adhere to. 

I agree with you.

But the freedom of the press philosophy will not allow that as it is open to abuse. Bad governments can exploit such opportunities and some do today.

Bad governments abuse regulation, bad journalists abuse freedom of press.  undecided

I personally don't believe in total freedom as I am yet to see any freedom that has not been abused. I believe in balanced regulation by an independent group from the clerisy where possible.

violent:

Banning the press would mean that the government can exercise control over the independent and unbiased nature that should under normal circumstances constitute the firm roots of the press.  This in turn will likely set a very very bad precedent for corrupt governors who ve been looking for every means possible to keep their dirty linens from the public.

If we have a press that is threatened by bans simply because the Governor's beer came late, then we are simply better off without a press to begin with.

I completely disagree with Sule Lamido's approach. That is semi-banning the press.

My approach is to ban their access to the Governor and his events only. That is different from banning the press. They are free to report whatever they want but they will not have the privilege to engage with the Governor. Engaging with the Governor is not a right, it is a privilege that can be withdrawn if it is more beneficial to the Governor than to give it.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by violent(m): 7:16pm On May 26, 2011
My approach is to ban their access to the Governor and his events only

Yes, the Governor can refuse ( i don't think Ban should be a right term) to grant the said newspaper an audience going forward, but it shouldn't mean the paper is not free to report on or attend state events. Yes, he could stop them from attending his birthday parties or house warming.

I think it's essential that you put a definition to what you call "his events".  the office of the governor is a public office, news and events from such office ought to be as open and as transparent as much as possible.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 26, 2011
Sagamite:

I agree with you.

But the freedom of the press philosophy will not allow that as it is open to abuse. Bad government can also exploit such opportunities and some do today.

Bad governments abuse regulation, bad journalists abuse freedom of press.  undecided

I personally don't believe in total freedom as I am yet to see any freedom that has not been abused. I believe in balanced regulation by an independent group from the clerisy where possible.

I completely disagree with Sule Lamido's approach. That is semi-banning the press.

My approach is to ban their access to the Governor and his events only. That is different from banning the press. They are free to report whatever they want but they will not have the privilege to engage with the Governor. Engaging with the Governor is not a right, it is a privilege that can be withdrawn if it is more beneficial to the Governor than to give it.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Do oyu actually support this dictatorial moves by Jigawa?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT IS INCLUDED NIGERIA'S FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?

Judging from what I read online (may be wrong, but I doubt it), this is what the Govt can do in a freedom of expression zone :

With respect to governmental information, any government may distinguish which materials are public or protected from disclosure to the public based on classification of information as sensitive, classified or secret and being otherwise protected from disclosure due to relevance of the information to protecting the national interest. Many governments are also subject to sunshine laws or freedom of information legislation that are used to define the ambit of national interest.

Banning a newspaper is not one of it. The GOVT does NOT have that right!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by violent(m): 7:23pm On May 26, 2011
^^^I think he answered your questions before you even thought about it.

I completely disagree with Sule Lamido's approach
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 7:26pm On May 26, 2011
violent:

Yes, the Governor can refuse ( i don't think Ban should be a right term) to grant the said newspaper an audience going forward, but it shouldn't mean the paper is not free to report on or attend state events. Yes, he could stop them from attending his birthday parties or house warming.

I think it's essential that you put a definition to what you call "his events".  the office of the governor is a public office, news and events from such office ought to be as open and as transparent as much as possible.

I disagree there.

I believe governments should be free to ban you from their events where you need invite to access it (e.g. Government house press briefings). The uninvited journalists should be free to report whatever they want to report.

Governors office might be public office but I don't think there is anything in the law that states you must have access to government events or offices, otherwise I for don gatecrash UK parliament to ask for my contracts.  grin

You can get your openness and transparency through the right channels (Government Agencies, Parliament and Courts) like any ordinary citizens.

Ileke-IdI:

Are you freaking kidding me?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT IS INCLUDED NIGERIA'S FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION?

Judging from what I read online (may be wrong, but I doubt it), this is what the Govt can do in a freedom of expression zone :

With respect to governmental information, any government may distinguish which materials are public or protected from disclosure to the public based on classification of information as sensitive, classified or secret and being otherwise protected from disclosure due to relevance of the information to protecting the national interest. Many governments are also subject to sunshine laws or freedom of information legislation that are used to define the ambit of national interest.

Banning a newspaper is not one of it. The GOVT does NOT have that right!

I believe your questions have been answered.

You seem to have forgotten my humble, Godly intellect. undecided
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by violent(m): 7:39pm On May 26, 2011
You seem to have forgotten my humble, Godly intellect.

your humility is quite astonishing!  it humbles me myself!

I agree with what you said tho, but i believe the press deserve better provisions than they currently have.  Their must be a point of reconciliation between the public's right to know, the right of the press to report, and the validation of what is reported as truth.

Until we get to that point, we will continuously have to face the bitter taste of power-drunk governors, irresponsible press, and a bunch of confused Nigerians who can't tell which is which.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 26, 2011
Sagamite,

pele, my bad.

Your "Humble Godly intellect" abi? cheesy
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by peruso: 7:49pm On May 26, 2011
Thanks lamido, soon all the quacks that call themselves journalist will be flushed from the system. BY ANY MEANS NECCESSARY.
DAILY TRUST IS ALWAYS ,
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 7:52pm On May 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Sagamite,

pele, my bad.

Your "Humble Godly intellect" abi? cheesy

violent:

your humility is quite astonishing!  it humbles me myself!

grin

violent:

I agree with what you said tho, but i believe the press deserve better provisions than they currently have.  Their must be a point of reconciliation between the public's right to know, the right of the press to report, and the validation of what is reported as truth.

Until we get to that point, we will continuously have to face the bitter taste of power-drunk governors, irresponsible press, and a bunch of confused Nigerians who can't tell which is which.

I completely agree.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by aieromon(m): 8:00pm On May 26, 2011
Where's the fool that attacked me last year when i condemned this crap of a paper?
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Furst: 8:37pm On May 26, 2011
Guv'nor Lamido is displaying his 'thuggish' tendencies again. gagging the press. Silly bushman
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 26, 2011
I strongly feel we should all take our time and read this article again.Daily trust was not banned,the reporter was banned.From the daily trust management reaction,it is obvious they have the option of sending another reporter there but have decided not to do so!!!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Sagamite(m): 8:51pm On May 26, 2011
Ozin:

I strongly feel we should all take our time and read this article again.Daily trust was not banned,the reporter was banned.From the daily trust management reaction,it is obvious they have the option of sending another reporter there but have decided not to do so!!!

If people in power in a third world country are illegally banning you, then I can understand how you can fear for your safety.

And Daily trust might wish to overblow it and not send another reporter as he needs to self-censor, otherwise he is at risk.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by 13volts(m): 9:02pm On May 26, 2011
the sun news paper should also be banned, i hate them with a passion
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by mbulela: 10:08pm On May 26, 2011
Sule Lamido is such a vindictive,small minded man (irrespective of his size).
Power is very dangerous in the hands of such fellows.
Instead of him trying to rescue Jigawa from backwardness, he spends his time plotting after enemies,real and imagined.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Arrowman(m): 10:23pm On May 26, 2011
those saying he has no right are getting it all wrong.im 4rm south but lived all my life in north.2 be sincere daily trust are sometimes sentiment by their publishes.just take a good look about may 25 paper of dt.check d page of say your view about GEJ inviting his opposition 2 d innaugural ceremony that is Muhammdu Buhari.and u would c dat dt has not done right by publishing some of d offensive words roard on GEJ by my brothers in d north. so so bad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obaseki Dethrones Benjamin Ikhani, Ends Uzanu Clan In Edo / Thugs Disrupt Osun Crossover Party, Governor Oyetola Ferried To Safety / Youths Resist Fulani Herdsmen Attack In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.