Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,500 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

In Between - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / In Between (5485 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2021
Irony of life

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 9:33am On Nov 08, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 17
By AMAH’S HEART.

Patricia looked from her husband to a puzzled looking Vero.

“Do you two know each other before? Why is she calling you Pete…”
Patricia asked her husband

He turned to his wife and said
“We were once colleagues in the same department and due to the way I speak about you in the office and have your name emblemed on my office desk that was how most of my co workers started calling me Pete…”

Patricia smiled while Pete turned to Veronica and said without fear in his voice.

“I’m glad you have met my wife. The true love of my life and only mother to my kids…”

Veronica was speechless as she kept staring. Pinching herself and wishing it was one of those terrible nightmare.

He turned to his wife and said.
“… Pety…I think we should either look for another top interior decorator or wait for Jemima to get well. Some of this people are learners and wouldn’t know much. Vicky or Vero should be on her way…we wouldn’t want to waste her time because we are used to Jemima and don’t want an apprentice or upcoming decor…”

“I felt Vicky here knows what she is doing. Let’s not underestimate her but if you feel that way… then is fine. But, she seems lovely and I was already getting acquainted with her…”
Patricia said still wearing a smile.
“… maybe we should give her a chance first. Since she is from Jemima then is a goal for me because Jemima is good with her every given Job. Vicky will certainly not disappoint…” Patricia added.

“Alright

Pety, but before then call Jemima and ask her about the lady she sent over. If she is certain about her because we can’t spend a whole lot of money on interior decorator and not get a good result… you understand my point right?
He bent over and kissed her lips romantically.
Patricia turned to face Vicky who kept staring at them like television.

“We meant no offense Vicky, just to be certain that our planned for the anniversary is marked out exactly as we want it. We have no doubt that Jemima is good but we are not used to you and maybe a call to Jemima will convince us further. Let me get my phone and call Jemima…

Veronica knew a big blow was coming for her. Calling Jemima will ruin everything and put her life in jeopardy.

“I…totally understand Patricia, I will be going then. Whenever everything is set and Jemima confirm… my… me, then I will return back. I need to run and pick up my kids but I will be back…”

She began walking to the door, she didn’t pay attention to Patricia who was calling probably one of her kids to bring her phone so that she can call Jemima.
Patricia asked Veronica to wait but she kept saying that she will be back. She needed to run to attend to some other emergency.

Veronica heard Pete said to Patricia
“, Let me see her to the gate. I guess Sule was not at the gate when she came in. I will be right back in a jiffy, please tell Abby to fix me something lite from the kitchen…”

Veronica rushed out and straight to the gate.
There saw a security man on her way out but she didn’t care to give him a second look.
she just wanted to get out.

She got to her car and just when she was about to start it Pete caught up with her.

“I knew it… when I saw this car that it was familiar but because I never thought you will come all the way down here looking for me, I didn’t give it much thought or double check it…”

Veronica who was still in shock that Jubril Elliot was actually Pete Johnson her husband said to him.
“Pete or will you prefer Jubril? I can’t believe this. Jesus Christ… I… I’m totally in shock. unbelievable….!”

She

opened her mouth and closed it, Veronica lack words to express her shock.
“Coming all the way down here to look for me was one of the most stupid and dangerous idea. you of all people shouldn’t have dares to. The heavens were in your favor today that my wife did not find out who you truly are. And let this day be the last time for you Vero. Don’t play with my kind patient, i don’t joke with my family and most importantly…I love my wife. You don’t want to see the other part of me that you haven’t seen before or do you?

“What about me, I’m your wife. How about your kids Pete? You abandoned us without any word or money. We are your family and you claimed to love me and the kids. I loved you Pete… how could you do this… why, how could you be so heartless and do this kind of thing to I and your kids? Or… am I dreaming… this is really you Pete?

“No, is my ghost…” Pete replied as he began to laugh.
“….I will advise you to leave this place at this minutes. Patricia will find out that you’re not from Jemima any moment from now and all hell will break loose. You are asking why? Don’t be an ungrateful fool, I gave you everything you’ve ever asked for. A stupid fake marriage that I despise, kids that I never wanted, faked number for a fake sister I never had, lied about my parents death when they’re very much alive. Lied about my name, even have to come around sometimes to please you, spent so much money just to make you and your kids happy. The first child was a mistake that you refused to erased, the second was also your carelessness but because you wanted another child I decided to keep calm. I never wanted any of that but I endured and played along by giving you everything you wanted Vero. You see that I’m very kind… very loving and caring to you while you were the ungrateful one. I just wanted to have you for few nights and be on my way but I realized that you’re a church girl, all this “Jesus baby” Bible quoting types that will be forming hard to get. I knew exactly how to get you to warm my bed and booom, it works. It was just a fake engagement, I didn’t even use a ring to propose initially which was within few weeks of our meeting… about two to three weeks of getting to know you and you accepted my proposal and getting you into bed wasn’t an issue again after then. The next thing is that you’re trapping me with unwanted pregnancy and unnecessary calls. Listen to me and listen good, I….”

A car suddenly pulled over at the other side of the road interrupting Pete from whatever he wanted to say again to dumbfounded Veronica.
Pete turned to see who it was.
a young lady spoke from the car.

“Good afternoon sir, I guess you are Mr Elliot? I was with my colleagues two years ago to decorate your apartment. My name is Alia, from Jemima. your wife is expecting me. Sorry, that I’m late…had a few running around this morning…I supposed to have been here earlier…”

Pete took few feet closer to the lady’s car and just then the gate opened and Patricia rushed out looking so furious and angry.

Veronica started the car and began to reverse back with speed.
She can hear Patricia calling Pete to stop Veronica from driving off.
Patricia said that Veronica was an imposter and she wanted to really know what was her mission coming to her house.

Pete didn’t make much effort in stopping her which gave Veronica a good chance to get a space, turned and zoomed off.

She almost ran into a tree but was able to dodge the accident as she kept driving while looking through the review mirror to be certain that no one was coming after her.

Tears clouded her vision as she drove on.
“This can’t be happening, no ..I can’t take this… God where are you? Where are you oh God…how could you let this happen to me…? Pete… Jubril… married and…hmmm, Jesus…oh my goodness. Is this all for real? Or is one of those scary night mares? eeeh… Jehovah… where do I go from here? I’m not going to let go like that… I won’t. Oh no…no…”
More episode @ www.dapalace.com

Veronica screamed to the quiet car, she hit the steering angrily.
She allowed the tears flow down without making efforts to stop them.
She continued driving as anger and uncertainty of what lies next suck through her.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 3:06pm On Nov 10, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 18
By AMAH’S HEART

Patricia lay awake in her bed thinking quietly to her self.
Pete who was downstairs later came to join her in the bedroom.

“What baffles me about that lady is the effrontery…the gut she had to walk into my house unbothered. I can’t just place a finger on it. She was busy taking pictures and feeling comfortable as I unknowingly briefed her about us. I… still can’t get it off my mind. it was too much to take in…”

Pete sat in an arm chair close to the bed and placed his legs on a table.

“I have told you Pety to forget that lady, is three days already that she sneaked up on us. Stop thinking about her because she isn’t important. If she was some threat i could have taken care of her long time ago…”

Patricia sat up from the bed and looked at Pete.
“Isn’t it obvious that she wanted something and that was what made her come down here? You told me the other day that is probably your company sent her for further investigation. She was also among those that set you up in the office, which led to your arrest and then final dismissal. Why didn’t you say so when you saw her? You acted strangely from the moment you saw her and quietly let her leave like that. How could you or is there something that you aren’t telling me?

Pete interrupted her
“Yes, and the only thing I never told you is that Vero used to obsess over me. She will say that her wishes someday is to have a man with my looks and personality. The father of her kids left her for whatever reason that I don’t know and is none of my business Pety. Vero became obsessive and wouldn’t let me be. Untill I warned and threatens her before she started getting hold of herself and is obvious that the obsession is still there but Pety, you really worry too much… you need to let it slide. Vero will never caught us unaware again. I don’t care if she came on my company’s account or her personal reasons I’m not bothered. One thing is certain that she would have been “taken care” of if I felt she was a threat to me or to my family. You heard when I told her that i was glad that she met my wife and mother to my kids…I said that to make her understand that she is not welcomed in my house. Pety, I did what I supposed to do by letting her go. if she tries another rough play on me or family then that’s when I will react in a way she never expects. Enough about her because she is not important and will never be…”

Patricia

exhaled quietly and kept quiet as she continued with her personal thoughts while Pete came to join her in bed.
Patricia remembered when Veronica touched her husband’s face carefully in the picture and called him Peter or Pete. She heard her say something like “… where are you Pete..”
something similar like that, she didn’t really pay much attention to her.
The only thing that struck her attention was when she mentioned his name which sounded like the exact name Jubril gave her.
Veronica also called Jubril “Pete” when she saw him while he called her Vero instead of Vicky.
She had said that Jubril picture on the wall looks exactly like that of her husband, the same features.

Maybe Jubril was right when he said that the lady was obsessed with him.
Because everything Vero displayed showed that she was indeed obsessed.

Patricia folded her fist in anger as she stared at the electric lamp.
She said quietly into the night and to the hearing of her husband.
“No woman messes with my family, be it my husband or children and gets away with it. Vero or whatever her name is was damn lucky to have gotten away before I realized who she really was but same wind that blew her to my end will bring her back again and this time luck will be far from her, it will be an unfortunate day or moment for her… until then, I will keep watch…”

She

switched off the lamp as she cuddled up with her husband.

Veronica stood and started pacing up and down the living room

“You need to calm down Vero, is unfortunate but Pete or Jubril doesn’t worth all this stress you’re putting yourself through. Even after a week of risking yourself and going over to fetch him out he haven’t contacted you yet. Try to calm down first so that you can think straight…”

Veronica stood in the middle of the sitting room and said
“My major concern is the kids, I’m not even bothered about myself, is my two children I’m worried about. Did I tell you that he denied them and said that is what I wanted..? I don’t know if I will ever get used to the fact that Pete is Jubril Elliot. Jubril is filled with trouble, he even threatened me…hahahaha! Jane, I’m going to go to any length to show him that he can’t use me like tissue paper and flush me off. No… that won’t happen…”

She began to pace again

“What do you intend to do Vero? Pete shouldn’t get away with everything he did… seriously. he shouldn’t but from what you told me he is obviously a dangerous man. Any man that is capable of living a double life, comfortably lied and pretended without guilt for more than five years, changed his identity totally and kept a huge dangerous secret of his real self…is capable of anything. He is indeed a dangerous man and that’s why I want you to thread with caution. I will support whatever decision you take but what exactly is your plan Vero?

“I don’t have the full plan yet, but I want to go back there. Yes, I will take my kids along to show his wife as an evidence that Pete is also my husband and father to my kids. Pete thinks he can ruin my life and go back to his so called loving wife and children, I will first of all ruin his own. By the time his wife sees my kids and maybe a picture of I and Pete on our wedding day, she will take a chill pill. Pete will have to take up full responsibility for his actions. I’m suffering here Jane. emotional, mentally and financially torture. I’m broke, emotionally drained…my mental health is not stable. Jane… Pete will not play me like a football and return to his main life. I’m not letting go, he is my husband and father to my children and that’s the responsibility he had to take serious. The same measure of love and care he gives to Patricia and her children, I want it equal or serious fight will break out. I’m taking this children back to his house, Patricia will understand the kind of man her Jubril husband is… when she sees evidence. I’m…I..”

She broke down and started crying. She sat hard on the ground and allow the tears to keep flowing.

Jane gasped out as she felt tears filling her own eyes while she watch her friend battle with so much emotions.

Jane blinked severally to stop her tears from flowing down.
“I don’t think that’s a good idea. Your idea of going over with the children to see Pete doesn’t seem like a good thing to do in this situation. You will be exposing your kids to further danger. This children are your backbone and you have to protect them with everything you got. There is no point going over again, it maybe dangerous. You told me that you collected Patricia business card that had both her office address and numbers in them… you can make a call if you really feel the need to do so. Take the wedding pictures and every of other pictures that Pete appeared in and forward to her but my fear is that Pete shouldn’t harm you or the kids…”

“I’m not afraid of him… although he threatened me but he won’t be able to do anything. He only wanted to scare me and I’m not going to fall for that. I really wanted to pay him another visit with the kids so that his Patricia can see them too. I’m not going to let go until I achieve my right as his wife and mother to his kids and I don’t care if he is married or not. Pete is still my husband and father to the children. He will never hurt me because he loves me and I know deep down that if he is to choose between i and Patricia…he will choose me. I’m younger, I’m…

Jane

sighed annoyingly.
“, Just stop it Vero. Pete has been gone for almost a year, never called or cared. He returned to his main family. A man that hide his true identity and you know nothin about him for six good years except last week… does not value you. I know you are looking for some kind of hope to hang onto but Vero face this reality staring at you in the face. Don’t take the kids over there or go there alone. Pete is not the kind of man that will use serious life threat just to scare you off. Don’t underestimate him… that man is dangerous and will carry out his threat if you don’t stay out of his way. He will not choose you over Patricia… they obviously have alot of history together. Please think everything through before proceeding. Think about my suggestions and be careful for the kids sake. Maybe you should even pray about this whole thing… you don’t joke with prayer before you met Pete, I used to envy how sweet your relationship with God was but it all changed after meeting Pete. Is not too late to go back Vero. I’m sorry that part of this whole thing is my fault because I thought Pete was Godsgift to you. That’s more reason I’m going to help you fight this to the end but please don’t make decisions that will affect you and also the children…”
Veronica was not even listening to most of what Jane was saying.
She heard her mention God. If God could watch in silent and let all of this happen to her then there was no point praying.
She was angry with God and with every one and everything.
Life is very unfair. why do bad thing happen to good people?
And where is God in all of this?

She will do exactly what is on her mind and nothin was going to stop her from hurting Pete and also making Patricia feel the same pain that swims inside her blood stream right now.

She refused to be used and dumped like a trash bag.
Everything that belongs to her will return back and stay for good.
They should all watch and see.

Jane watched as Veronica stood and started going upstairs with a smirking smile on her face.

Jane was confused as she wondered what was on Veronica’s mind that made her to suddenly start smiling.

She hopes that Veronica was not thinking of going after Pete and his wife Patricia because that will be a big trouble waiting to happen.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 2:11am On Nov 14, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 19
By AMAH’S HEART

She stared at her phone for a long time, her mind was made up she was going to make the call.
Whatever the outcome maybe she was ready for the consequences.

She breathed in deeply as she began to call and after the second ring he picked up.
“Hello..?
She swallowed hard before replying.

“Hey…is me. How’re you doing? Is been a while…”

“You…who? Who am I speaking with please? He said confused

“Is me Jane. Dan… you don’t have my number again?

“Oh Jane… how’re you and how’s little Becca?.

“We’re fine. So you don’t have my contact again… that’s unfair.
Jane said feeling bad

“Well Jane, you said I wasn’t your type and can never fit in, I decided not to bug you again. is obvious your type is the high class and I can never measure in. You made that clear enough…”

“No Dan… I’m sorry about those words. I apologise. Can we see… maybe we can talk about it. That’s if you are free and ready…”

“I don’t know Jane…I don’t want to promise anything…”

“Or…is there a woman in your life… now? I mean… do you have a girlfriend..? Sorry for asking I just want to be sure in order not to disturb or cause problem between two of you. I hope you understand?

“I will let you know by weekend if I can see you or not Jane. Your other question is not necessary but I do appreciate your call. Byee…”

He waited for Jane to end the call so that he does not appear rude by doing so.

Jane

sighed as she walked into her room feeling dejected.
Maybe Dan is already dating someone. She wouldn’t blame him for doing so because he really tried to woo her
He called, sent messages, visited, bought gifts and when she was in need of financial help Dan was there for her but due to she was blinded by the high class that Veronica was living in and how Pete showered her with lots of money and many good things she wanted something more for herself.

She wanted a guy far richer and famous. A man who will take care of her needs without troubles just like Pete.

Dan didn’t fit into the class of men she wished for and it was jealousy and foolishness that made her drove a good man away.
Like the saying goes “all that glitters isn’t gold”
She realized late that indeed Dan was a gold and he tried severally to prove how much he cared for her and her daughter.

She used to envy Veronica and kept wishing for a man like Pete, thank God that God didn’t listen to her wishes and bring such a man to her path.
Looking at what Veronica is going through, is not something she will wish for her enemy.
Is saddening, unbelievable and scary too.

“Thank you God for overlooking my foolishness and jealous thoughts. I want to get it right this time, please help me and guide my ways and deeds to be pleasing unto you. Give Veronica wisdom on what to do concerning Pete. May no harm come upon her or her two children. Forgive my sins, please Lord. They stare at me day and night… I’m not worthy of your mercy but thank you for showering me with your grace and teaching me through other people’s mistakes not to totally dwell on the earthly pleasure but to focus on you for the big picture. Align my thoughts in your direction so that I may not sin against in what I do or say….in Jesus name. Amen…”

Jane can only hope that Dan will call her so that she can apologies to him in person and if is not too late they can go on a date and see how things unfold from there.

Veronica had a changed of mind just as she was about driving out of her compound with her kids to see Patricia

Jane

could be right, going with the kids may expose them to further danger.
She can’t bear it if anything should happen to any of her two children.
One thing is certain and that is she won’t let go of this fight staring at her in the face.
Pete can’t threaten her and thinks she will crawl into hiding like a scared cat.

The hurt and reality of the whole thing haven’t settled in yet.
She was still struggling to come in term with the whole thing and at the meantime she can only belt up and fight back.
Pete or whatever is his name can’t get away with his atrocities.

Veronica brought out her phone, she clicked on some of the pictures that Pete took with her and some with the kids.
She also clicked on the wedding picture and began to forward to Patricia.

After sending the pictures, she called the number just to make sure is reachable and immediately Patricia answered Veronica ended the call immediately without saying anything.

She was happy that the number was reachable and Patricia is with her phone which means the whole pictures will get to her.
She does not need to say much or start typing long message, pictures are clear evidence. It will pass the message faster and better.

All she needs to do is to wait for a feedback.
She was anxious to know what was going on with Patricia after she might have seen the pictures.

She just needs to wait until Patricia calls her.

The war Pete wanted has started and she hopes it won’t be bloody because she was ready to war on until her rightful settlement comes to her.
Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 8:27am On Nov 14, 2021
War of life

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 4:55pm On Nov 17, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 20
By AMAH’S HEART.

She barked like an angry dog while holding her phone up

“…I’m not getting any of the explanation Jubril, I need to understand. Explain this again and don’t take me for a fool…”

Pete combed his hand into his hair as he thought of something that will pacify his wife

“Pety calm down, I have told you before that none of this pictures means anything. It was all fake and you know human being can go to any length to tarnish your image. This Veronica was determined to destroy me and my family and that’s why she is coming up with this… it could be Photoshop. Anything is possible yo….

She slapped him hard across the face and charged angrily towards him with a flower vase sitting close to her.

Pete took several steps away from her because his wife was in a different mood.

“You know me quiet well, you know what I’m capable off right? I warned you not to take me for a fool yet you’re still fooling around. How can you say that all of this pictures are Photoshop? Are you talking to a blind…or uneducated woman? I said I need an explanation and is better you start explaining before I bring down this roof on your head…”

Pete knew he was in deep trouble. Patricia is not the kind of woman he can mess with.
She seems to have his entire being in her custody and can blow it to the wind if she pleases.

“Please,

I’m sorry Pety. You need to calm down and listen to me. It was unintentional. I never wanted any of that, she was the one that pleaded and pushed me into it. It was actually during those times that our company sent out some of us to the field and I don’t get to come home everyday. I met Vero and one thing led to another and she became pregnant and insisted that she was going to keep it. I just wanted to be gone but Vero wouldn’t let me rest. I decided to play along by dancing to her tone. Surprisingly, she gathered her pastor and few others that we are getting married. since the wedding was not going to count anywhere because it was just a parlor quickie marriage I decided to go on with it. Her major reasons was because her family and the church will nail her if they find out that she was pregnant without getting married. I’m not even sure that the pregnancy was mine due to she had a boyfriend but because she sensed I had money and every other thing she needed in a man Vero did everything in her power to pin me down. Because at a point I don’t know what I was doing again…it was as if I was charmed. Those children are not mine Pety, I have nothing with Vero. I faked everything and none of it is valid. You and our children are my only family. I know I lied… Forgive me please. Vero is too small to come between us. I don’t acknowledge her as anything and it was like a movie to her when I left. I love you Pety and I promise that Vero won’t get away with this…I will handle her. Trust me… she bit more than she can chew this time and I won’t let it slide. I won’t…”
He was still talking when Patricia threw the flower vase on the wall and it smashed into pieces.
She pointed a finger to his face and said.

“You have always squash my efforts in this family. I made you, the man you think you are today is because of the sacrifice I made. Eight years ago, you got into a bad side with your company. You reformed there original product and made alot of fake ones out of it which you sold to their clients. You got caught, your company loosed alot of money and trouble came looming for us. You were locked up and I spent a lot of money to pay off the whole debt. You were suspended for sometimes and was later called back. You went back and resumed work and within a space of a year you went back to the same fault. You carried on for four years and then get caught again. All the millions you got during this years of stealing your company fund and manipulating cheques was misused. you were busy lavishing it on this your Veronica. Now I understand better. Your fraudulent activities was everywhere in the news and you were sent to rot in jail. Lots of millions bail was on your head. Jubril, I sold my properties just to free you from that dungeon. I bailed you out and repaid your company some of the charges on your head. My other property was taken by the banks because I couldn’t pay off the mortgage. I still gave you some money to set up your own pharmaceutical store. I have been running this family without any support and I never complained. All you do is to give me headache, run into debt and get into trouble. Yet, I overlooked and this year I thought the whole mishap was over and wanted us to have the best anniversary but here you are again. I’m sick and tired of this whole nonsense. It appears to me that you want to go back to that dungeon hole that you were locked up before. I can make arrangements for that… trust me Jubril I can make it happen for you. enough of this rubbish…”

Pete

tries to hold her and plead but she slaps his hands away.
“… fix this mess or I will fix it and won’t spare you in return…”

She turned sadly, picked up her car keys and left the house.

Pete said after her
“I promise, I will. I will clean this mess without trace. I’m sorry Pety…so sorry. Please forgive me. For doing this to us, Veronica will suffer for it. I won’t spare any bone in her body neither that of her children…”

He went to his bedroom, right in his hidden locked box which he hide away from everyone.
He pulled out the box, unlocked it with a code, brought out a gun and smile.

“…This will definitely fix everything…” He said calmly.

He hide the gun in his trouser and left.

Veronica was still wondering why Patricia haven’t called her yet.
This was the second day of forwarding the pictures and she expected her calls yesterday but no call came.

She will wait one more day before calling her and properly introducing herself to her.
She will have the last laugh because at the end Patricia will have big problem with Pete which will make him to run back to her.
Pete will have no choice than to come back to her after Patricia pushes him away with the pictures evidence.

Pete will come back to her and ask for her forgiveness and she will treat him as she please.

At the end she wins and life will go back to normal.

Just when she was still thinking about the whole thing there was a knock on the door
She wondered who might be knocking by this time.
She spoke to Jane in the morning and she will be at her work place and will be closing very late.

Jane planned to come over by weekend and that is if Dan didn’t call her.
She was hoping that she will be able to iron things out with Dan.
She believes that Dan might call her.

“What if is Pete, he finally came to his senses after he couldn’t give a convincing explanations to Patricia over the pictures. Hahahaha…”

Veronica laughed quietly.
She breathed deeply as she waved off the ideas.
Is too early to start thinking that way.

She went down to check who was knocking.
As she opened the door lo and behold it was the devil himself.

Pete stood at the door. His hand was placed on a swollen object tugged underneath his belt.

Veronica held herself from smiling because looking at everything it seems that her plans worked out perfectly.
Pete was back to her for good.

“Are you the only one in the house? Hope there’s no other person aside the kids with you and you are not expecting anybody…?

Veronica curved a smile.

Pete is acting all jealous now.
He indirectly meant if there was another man in the house or coming after.
Veronica thought within her and She enjoys the feeling it gives her.

Veronica saw something she can’t explain in his eyes and it scares her.
She concluded that it was either jealousy or passionate flame that burns hot in his eyes.
It can also means he was sorry and ready to stretch out things.
She also noticed that his left hand remained still on the swollen object hidden in his trouser.
She didn’t think much about that as she replied him while opening the door wide for him to come inside.

“I’m

the only one Pete, the kids are upstairs in their room playing. Is just us…alone…”
He nodded and walked in while Veronica shut the door.

Tbc
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 21
By AMAH’S HEART

On her way back she decided to check up on Veronica and to inform her that Dan didn’t call as expected.

She was still hopeful and won’t give up so soon but if along the line she couldn’t keep up with the wait then it will be time to move on.
Well, is a regret she was ready to live with for the rest of her life.
Loosing a good man like Dan is totally her fault which she caused due to ignorance.

She was supposed to go home but checking up on Veronica to know what was exactly her next plan after sending the pictures became strong in her mind.

She took a cab and went over. She noticed a car parked close to her gate and did not wonder much about it.

She went inside and knocked but no response came.
She was almost thinking that Veronica was not around. But where could she have gone by this time of the day.
Is evening already and her car was parked in the compound.

Jane knocked harder yet no response.
She brought out her phone to call Veronica but Veronica’s phone was switched off.
She thought of giving up and turning back to go but something strong kept her at the door.
If Veronica isn’t around what of her kid? Or did she leave without her car?
Alot of thought was flying in Jane’s mind as she kept knocking and calling out to her.
Maybe she should go home because obviously is either Veronica doesn’t want to open the door or she is not around.
She decided to knock one more time.
Jane noticed that the door knob moved a little.
It means somebody was in the house
Something wasn’t right, it begining to look fishy to Jane who called out loudly and knocked harder.

The

door opened and a gun pointed to her forehead all in a flash.
“You make alot of noise Jane, you haven’t changed one bit with your lousy noisy lifestyle. Maybe that’s why you are still single, no man finds you appealing. You came to do your small gossip with your stupid friend right? You were not invited to our small party but since you decide to show up on your own then you’re welcome. Is quiet unfortunate for you though because you won’t be getting out of here alive. Enter inside quietly and move straight to the circle and if I hear any noise I will blow off your head and watch your sowered stinking brain spread out. Move… quietly and shut the hell up…”

Jane raised her hands in fear and surrender as she moved in just as she was commanded.

It was Pete that owns the car outside. A different car from the one he usually use when he was still acting as Veronica’s husband.
She saw Veronica’s tired to a chair with her mouth tapped.
Blood was rolling down her forehead. Her legs and hands were also tired up.

The children were probably locked away in their room upstairs or Pete has done something terrible to them because no noise was coming from them.

Veronica try to mumble something but Pete strike her across the face hard and she rolled over to the ground.
She couldn’t get up due to her body was bundled up with rope.
Pete picked her up and make her sit upright.
He went to a carton box which was lying close by and took out a rope.
He probably got the box from the store house because Jane knew she had seen such box in their store before.

“You won’t get away with this Pete…”

Jane said outloudly as her fear turned into anger seeing what Pete has done to Veronica.
“… you will rot in hell for every pain you have caused Vero. You will regret this day… you won’t get away with your atrocities and…”

Pete punched her hard on the mouth, breaking her lips as Jane tested her own blood and a sharp pain travelled round her body.

He

took the rope and began tiring her up. He covered her mouth with s tape just like he did with Veronica but on a second thought he pulled off the tape making Jane to wince in pain.
“I already have. You said I won’t get away with it but that is a big lie because I already have. Few minutes later you won’t have the ability to look me in the eyes or talk to me because you will be dining with the dead while I move on as a free man… like nothin happened. I have only three bullet remaining here. One for you and another for Vero. The remaining one is for safety purpose when I’m getting out or just in case somebody else decided to join our small party. I know you like talking and tapping up your mouth will kill you faster so I will let you have your mouth for now. I will shoot you both dead, set this entire house on fire before leaving so that nothin will trace down to me. This house will be razed down to ashes. You will die by the gun and the fire too that’s double trouble on your dead bodies. Look over there you will see a match box and petrol can. Yes, those are what I’m going to use to start the fire. This house is mine but is as good as nothing to me….”

He made sure that Jane was properly tired before picking up his gun again.

“What do you want… why are you doing this Pete? For the sake of your children please, don’t do this. Atleast think about the good times you had with Vero and the beautiful kids too… does that not mean anything at all to you? Vero will never trouble you through out her lifetime if you can just let us go. I promise nobody… not even the police will know of this. Please Pete… I know you still have conscience in there…”

“Shut up. You seem to know me too well but not well enough. I left my conscience back in my house with Patricia my wife before embarking on this journey. I’m sorry you because my conscience is not with me. I can’t remember having any good time with Vero because I never loved her or valued her one bit. I only played along with the time being. As for the kids, I care less about them… they are for Vero. My own kids are back at home with my wife Patricia. I gave your foolish, greedy and unintelligent friend everything…Everything she ever wanted. I agreed to father a child I never wanted, a lame stupid wedding I hated but acted along. I bought gifts and luxury for this so called church girl that never practiced what she believed in… which made me wonder what kind of Christian are you Vero? I did everything to keep you in this house.. happy, I stole from my company just to keep footing your bills. I was later caught and locked up because of you. I know what I went through and have to start all over with the help of Patricia… my one and only wife. I risked a whole lot for years still because of you… Yet when I gave her simple instructions to keep a distance and stay away from my family after she showed up unexpectedly she couldn’t keep to that. Sending pictures to Patricia was the most dumbest things you ever did and I know you both must have planned it together and that is why I won’t let any of you live because you will cause more problem for me if you’re alive and so is Veronica’s kids too. You are both better off dead and forgotten. Remember this, that Vero brought death upon herself and upon you too after she tries to get in my way…”

Jane breathed sadly. She looked over at Veronica and saw tears mixed with blood rolling down from her forehead and settled on her cheek.
Her eyes were close, she seems to be praying as hot tears kept pouring down.

Jane doesn’t know what to do or say except to also pray to God for some divine intervention.
Nobody can rescue them from Pete’s claw except God.
Pete looks scary and determined to carry out his devious act. He appears to be an entirely different man. Like the real devil himself

Jane decided to try talking again, she hopes her freedom of speech at this moment won’t make her death come faster than usual.

“Pete… Vero loves you… so much and that was why she acted the way she did. The whole thing was devastating to…”

Pete struck her hard on the nose with the head of his gun shutting her up.
The pain Jane felt was unbearable. She screamed out in anguish.
Pete took a tape and wrap up her mouth.

“You

abused the little freedom that you were given by talking nonsense. I never…ever loved Vero. I thought that was clear enough? She loving me is only normal because I gave her a comfortable life. Why won’t she loves me when she never lacks anything. She does not even know how to manage things again. I watch her squander every given thing… even money because she knew more was coming. She gave up her principles and beliefs because of what she stand to gain from me. She said she was celibating and won’t get laid until marriage but all of that changed with just little effort I presented to her. Loving me is absolutely normal for any woman that is so gullible like Vero. She does not know the real me… only what I wanted her to know. The bitter truth is that I love my wife… Patricia and the children she gave me. Every other person is nothing to me. Enough of all that petty talk. Time is going, Who should I start with… who wants to die first?..
Everywhere became silent. Veronica opened her eyes wide and stared at Jane who also looked back at her.
Jane began to pray fervently in her mind as she beseech God for help.

“…. none of you are ready to go first. Alright, let me choose who the bullet will hit first among you two…”
Pete said as he set the gun for shooting.

Patricia had seen him drove pass and decided to follow far behind.

The first traffic was out in no time.
the far distance driving almost made her to loose him.
At a point she was running low on fuel, if she does not stop soon to refuel her car it will pack up.
But any delay will will be bad at this time. She doesn’t want to lose sight of her husband’s car.
And with the way he kept turning from one corner to another Pete may eventually see her car and recognize it.
Just a glimpse of the car will reveal that she had been stalking him.

Patricia who does not want to be caught or loose sight of him quickly thought of what to do.

Little traffic was building up again in the front is a good time to act fast.
She saw cabs getting caught in the traffic and decided to call one.

She saw opportunity and quickly drive out of the lane that she was in.

Her fuel sign can’t even carry her far.
She make sure that where she parked was safe enough before getting down and locking the car.

The cab she called was waiting close by, Patricia searched through the small lines of car to be sure that her husband is still in sight

She joined the cab and asked him to follow every instructions she gives him. She was ready to pay double for his service but the cab man was not ready for whatever risk that maybe ahead
He declined the offer which made Patricia to come down and with hurry she looked for another taxi that agreed to the terms.

Patricia

told him that there is a car she was following which is right in front and all she wanted was for the taxi driver to follow sequelly and make sure he does not miss the target.
He should try as much as possible to keep his distance too in other not to be suspected by her husband.
The man agreed and did exactly what Patricia asked of him but immediately the traffic cleared off they couldn’t find the exact place that Pete entered.
Patricia and the driver became confused and were looking round until they spot the car speeding down a different lane.

Patricia and the driver quickly followed. The driver applied speed until he was at a closer range with Pete
This way he won’t be able to miss him again.

It was a very long unexpected drive that took hours.
Even the driver was begining to have a double mind but the money Patricia was offering kept him mute.
Patricia wondered where exactly Pete kept driving to with no end.
They have left the state and seems to be entering another state.

The driver complained of fuel and just as Patricia was thinking of what to do she saw Pete enter a street and knew that they were very close.

He drove little more before parking. The driver kept an unsuspected distance and they both watched as Pete came down from his car and walked down before entering a big brown gate.

“Finally…”
Patricia said as she heaves a sigh of relief.

Just as agreed she wanted to pay the driver off and since she does not have the amount he was asking for in cash she decided to do a transfer to him after he provided his account details.

After the transaction, she was just about coming down when she saw another lady coming down from a taxi.

Patricia watched the lady entered the same gate. She knew she have to wait for sometime to past before proceeding.

Patricia gave the driver little more cash just to chill in his car for sometime.

After about fifteen minutes passed, Patricia came down from the car while the driver took off.

Patricia walked down slowly to the gate.
She pushed it and realized that it was not guarded
She walked into the compound and was taken back at the property staring at her.
As a real estate agent she knew that the property was worth a fortune.

Her eyes kept traveling everywhere around the compound.

Her gut had told her right from when she saw Pete drive off that he was going to see Veronica.
And that was the reason she followed. She wondered who was the second lady that she saw enter inside.
stepping into the compound and seeing the car that Veronica came with that very day made her to start walking towards the door with confidence.

She was absolutely right. She was in the right place.
She wondered how Veronica was able to acquire such an expensive property, that is if she truly owns it.

A loud gun shot startled her, Patricia rushed to the door and began to bang on it.

She repeatedly knocked on the door hard and loud as she waited for somebody to come and open up.

Tbc
Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 6:43am On Nov 19, 2021
Hope Pete didn’t hurt anyone

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 5:21am On Nov 20, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 22
By AMAH’S HEART.

Pete checked through the peephole and was shocked to see his wife.

“What is she doing here… how did she even know that I’m here or get here in the first place. how…how?

Pete mumbled to himself as he became totally confused on what exactly to do.
Her presence will spoil a whole lot of Things for him or maybe it will still work out for their good.
Patricia wanted the mess cleaned and he was already determined to do so even before she asked.
Maybe seeing that he was doing exactly that will make her want to walk with him

They will both finish what he started, set the house on fire and get going.
Nothing will be traced down to them. Absolutely nothing.
Pete walked back to the scene where the two ladies were, already one is down and it remains one to go.
he saw the blood trying to roll down like a stream of water.
He was very close to the finishing line. It was when he was trying to shoot the second person after bringing down the first that the knocking came. He was already full charged and in the mood of eliminating the two ladies.

It was just one to go. He will finish her up later.
Patricia hates sight of blood but she will love this one since is from the enemies that wants their downfall.

He walked back to the door while trying to wear the best smile.
He opened the door with a fat grin on his face as he exclaimed, acting all surprise to see his wife.
“Hey Pety…my love. What are you doing here…?

Patricia

looked at him suspiciously before replying.
“I’m here to do the exact thing you came for…”
Pete smiled and said to her

“Then you’re on time because the party just started. Come on in..”

Patricia quietly walked in, looking around and admiring the interior structure. This house was going to go for real money if it was put up for sale. She had sold houses like this in the past and knew exactly what it worth.
Been into real estate gives her an edge to know worth of buildings like this one.

Some mopping noise coming from a far end brought her back to reality.
She can also hear children crying upstairs.
She looked back at her husband.
He was holding something behind him and it was as if he read his thoughts at that moment and dropped his hand at his side.
That was when reality hit Patricia hard.
She had a gunshot earlier before getting carried away with the building structural inside base.
“What the hell are you doing with a gun… who did you shoot? Wait… hope you didn’t shoot any human Jubril…? Where is Veronica and the other Lady that came in here, I can here children crying from afar…I guess upstairs. What have you done this time again…?

Patricia questioned him, feeling uneasy.

“I thought you will be happy… you supposed to be happy Pety. I promised that I was going to clean the mess and that is exactly what I came to do. If I don’t do this Veronica and her cohorts will cause lots of damage for me… for us. I can’t let that happen Pety. She is as good as dead, a mistake I regretted getting involved in and also to prove to you that she means nothing to me. You and the kids are my everything. I won’t trade that for anything. I have already killed one and…”

Patricia opened her eyes wide in shock.
“, You did what? Whaaaat the hell! Where are they. Oh… this is another bad one. With your whole criminal records you still went to add murder to the list? What is wrong with you…? Oh God…wher, where are they? Which part of the house are…

She paused and started running ahead with speed.
She cursed loudly seeing the sight that behold her eyes.
Her husband wasn’t joking when he said he shot one of them.
Veronica was down and lay lifeless.
Blood was gushing out from the gun wound on her chest.

The

other lady was almost tumbled over. She was obviously struggling to get free from the leg and hand bond. Her mouth was also tepped up.
She was crying and kept struggling to get free as she tries to reach her friend lifeless body.
Seeing the blood sent cold chill all over Patricia’s body.
She almost threw up right there.

“…oh God.. blood. Blood…aaaahhhh Jubril!
Patricia called out her husband’s name angrily as she quickly began to untie Jane.
She removed the tep first and loosened her up.
Jane rushed over to Veronica crying loudly.
Blood was running down from Jane’s broken nose, where Pete hit her with the head of the gun earlier.

She turned her friend over and began checking her body while loosing her up.
She exclaimed loudly
“She is alive. Oh Jesus. Vero is still breathing… Please don’t let my friend die. Please ma’am help us… help Veronica please. I can feel her pulse. Yes…yes she is still alive. Let’s rush her to the hospital. There’s a hospital, is not far from here…. is down the end of the second Street. Please, she still alive and any further delay… she may die..”

On hearing that Veronica was still alive Patricia who have been trying to look away from the whole bloody scene rushed over to Veronica.
She over looked the bloody sight and checked her pulse to be certain that she was truly breathing just to be sure of what Jane was saying.

“You’re right, She is still breathing. Damnit! look at all this blood.. blood is too much, is everywhere… Jubril. You said you came to clean the mess but you ended up making a bigger mess. Now I have to tidy this up… despite how ill I feel with the whole thing. Oh Jubril…! What are you still standing there for? Can’t you hear that the lady is still alive… come and carry her to the car quickly…”
Patricia said while bending over Veronica.

Pete moved closer and pointed his gun on Veronica’s head.
“She can’t live… She has to die. Her being alive will bring lots of trouble to me…to us Pety. Please leave the way let me finish what I started. Nothing will be traced down to us. I promise, nothing and we won’t be a suspect because all traces will be cleared off. We’re in this together Pety and we have to stand together. Since you’re already here which is not a coincidence then let’s quickly finish this and get out. Is getting dark, by the time we are done, we set the house up in flames and by morning it will become a rumble of dirt, all traces will disappear. Let me do this Pety so that we can get out of here. I know how much you hate sight of blood…it makes you sick which is more reason we have to hurry up. One more bullet to her head will end her immediately and the remaining one goes to her friend…Jane. they can all rot in hell…I don’t care. They are not our problem anymore after today. Let’s…”

Jane started muttering prayer while pleadingly seriously.

Patricia got up from the ground and stood in between Pete and Veronica who lay still on the ground without movement.
“No more blood shed except you want to go through me. You will have to shoot me first before any of this women. I can see how heartless and inhuman you are. I thought I was hardened, I thought I was the shrewd one but I can see you are a beast. You want to burn down this house with their bodies in it… including that of the kids upstairs that I can still hear their scream. This property is worth money… lots of it and I don’t know how Vero was able to acquire it but she indeed got a nice place and I won’t watch you raze it down. It won’t happen…not now that I’m involved. So you will have to go through me before you release another bullet to either Veronica or her friend. Pull the trigger Jubril and we will all go down together…”

Pete didn’t drop his gun as he stare at his wife daring him to shoot.
He thought she came all the way down here to support him.
She must have followed him with another car because he did not notice her car anywhere behind all through his driving.
And he was happy that Patricia will help him in clearing the mess but unfortunately she is causing more trouble for him.
Maybe he should just pull the trigger and end it all here and now.
He had planned out on how he wanted everything to go, he won’t allow anyone not even Patricia his wife to stop him.

He

pointed the gun to Patricia’s forehead instead.
An unbelievable Patricia dropped her jaw in shock as the husband raise the gun to her face.
She became speechless and instead of becoming afraid she became more angrier.
“You sure do have gut to bite the finger that feeds you Jubril. What are you waiting for… pull the trigger you cowardice slowpoke. Do it or is your hand suddenly frozen?
Everywhere became quiet except for Jane’s continues whispers. She was praying quietly while holding onto Veronica and watching Pete and his wife stood up staring at each other, with a gun still pointed at Patricia who was quiet now as she stood unafraid.

Pete on realizing himself dropped his hand.
“…You dares pull a gun to my face Jubril…how dare you? Patricia barked angrily.

Pete looked like he just came out of a trance as he tries to apologise.
“I’m sorry Pety, I…I don’t know what Came over me. I wasn’t thinking… please forgi…”

Patricia interrupted him with a heavy slap to his face.
“We will talk about this later. Now isn’t the time. Hurry and carry Vero to the car, let’s speed down to the hospital. We have wasted enough time already…”

Patricia asked Jane if Veronica was still breathing.
Jane said she can’t tell because she can no longer feel any pulse.

Pete said to his wife
“Is of no use. I guess she is already dead. Going to the hospital will raise a dust… questions we can’t answer. Beside she will be too heavy to carry all the way outside the gate. Pety please listen, is better we just do away with her instead of getting into trouble because of her…”

“I insist we take her to the hospital. Let them confirm her dead or alive. This whole thing is not upto you anymore. Go over and lift her up and let’s leave. She is your burden and you must carry it…”

He put back his gun into his cloth and rubbed his hands together
Pete went over to Veronica while
Jane rushed upstairs to the kids room but find out that the door was locked.

She rushed down again panting heavily. She told Patricia about the kids while Pete was struggling to lift Veronica from the ground.
Patricia asked Pete where he kept the key to the children’s room and Pete reluctantly told her.
Jane quickly rushed to the spot, got the key and rushed back to the room
She unlocked the door and the scared little children rushed to her and held like their lives depends on it.
Jane noticed that they were both shaking.
She carried the boy while the girl followed as they went back downstairs.

Nobody was downstairs again, she can see them outside.
Pete carried Veronica almost lifeless body across his shoulder while running towards the gate at Patricia’s command.

Jane wish she could drop the kids somewhere but there was nobody to leave them with.

She

had to run along and join them in the car.
Patricia hop in beside Pete.
Veronica’s body was at the back seat. Jane smuggled in with the children who became more scared on seeing their Mom not moving.
Jane tries as much as possible to assure them that their mother was alright, she was only sleeping.
Pete speed down to the hospital as Jane pointed out the easy way out to him.

For more episode visit www.dapalace.com
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 9:09pm On Nov 24, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 23
By AMAH’S HEART

Jane waited until the doctor was out from attending to Vero before Going to meet him.
She asked him how she was doing and he said she was fine.
The doctor asked her to follow him to his office.

Immediately they got into the office, he offered her a seat and began speaking to her.

“Your friend is very stable at the moment and responding to treatment. that’s actually a good news… right? she was lucky that the bullet didn’t get to her heart region. It bruised through the area. it was a tiny line of luck indeed or she would have been dead within few minutes of getting hit. our happiness is that she is going to be alright. The bullet have been removed and the flesh hole have been stitched up, is the healing part that remains. Unlike the first day that she was brought in, that very day like I have already told you before…it was a critical emergency situation that the medical team tries to the best of our ability. Had it been that she was brought in an hour late she wouldn’t have made it. Her body would have suffered violent involuntary contraction of the muscles… that’s like convulsing. And in 75percent cases leads to death. Just to let you understand how lucky she was to still be alive….”

Jane smiled and thanked the doctor.

“How long will she be here before going home? Just asking because her kids needs her and they wish to see her soon…”

“We

need to monitor the healing process, to loosen the stitches in about a week and to make sure that nothing gets close to the sensitive part… that’s the heart. Today is the third day, she should be discharged in a week and few days from now which will be totalled two weeks in all. You can bring her kids down here to see her but not right away because she needs lots of rest to quicken the healing process. Maybe two days time… you can bring them over…”
Jane heaves a sigh of relief before asking
“Is she presently awake…? Can I go and see her now?

“Sure you can but don’t stay for too long. She needs lots of rest.

Jane nodded and as she stood up to leave the doctor asked her to wait.

“There is another major thing I need to ask you which will also help in filing our report. The second lady with you on that first day, she deposited enough money for your friend’s treatment and when we asked her how she sustained the bullet wound she couldn’t give a concrete answer but she promised to return back to do so. This is the third day and we haven’t seen her and since you are present during the incident, we will like to get the proper report from you. We need to know this things and if involving the police on this case is necessary or not for the sake of our patient. After further examining her we realized that she was shot at a very close range. I want to know if it was a robbery case? It doesn’t look like a stray bullet is not like we are cancelling the possibilities but there is a slim Iine to that. We want answers regarding the incident and you are also in the right position to give it to us…”

Jane think back and remembered Pete threatening her that first day as they got to the hospital. He said if she ever says anything to anyone he will come back to finish what he started.
The whole thing was still very traumatic for her and so it must have been for Veronica.
She does not want to get herself or Veronica into further trouble.
She only wish all of this is over soon so that they can both have their normal lives back.
Although things won’t be ever the same but is better not to attract any further troubles.

“I’m

sorry Doctor. Let’s rather wait for Patricia, she has all the details more than I do and she will come around just as she promised maybe before Veronica is discharged. I have nothing to say concerning your questions. Please be patient until the woman in charge comes around…. please”
The doctor told Jane that he will give a call to Patricia then since she dropped her mobile number that very day and asked the doctor to update her on anything.

Jane stood and went to see Veronica.
When she entered her room she saw her staring at the ceiling and muttering something to herself.

“Hey girlfriend… you fought so well and beat death to it’s game. I’m proud of you Vero…”

Jane smiled but Veronica couldn’t reciprocate. She sighed heavily and said.

“I didn’t beat death Jane, I couldn’t have done that on my own… God did it all. He gave me a second chance to life and that I will never take for granted. Thanks Jane for everything… you’re a friend indeed. How’re the kids…?

“They’re alright Vero. Don’t worry about them because they are both cared for and will come visiting soon and you will get to see them. I know you are looking forward to going back home, the doctor said about a week time and maybe few days and you will be free to go. All we pray now is a quick recovery. I really thank God for our miracles, yours especially Vero. You loved and trusted the wrong man, had children for and looked forward to the future with him not knowing he is a wolf in sheep clothing. he is a beast and would have end us all. We would have been both dead if God didn’t step in through the person of Patricia. I have taken God more serious than I ever did since the incident. God is truly good and that we can both testify to…”

Veronica gasped out quietly and said to Jane
“I’m not going back to that house Jane. I can’t…I will look for where to stay after I’m out of here and plan on what to do next with my life. That house holds too much bad memories. Stepping into it will make all the ill past that I’m trying to put behind to come rushing back. I can’t…is not only scary but also traumatizing. Do you know the amazing part of this whole thing is despite my foolishness God still cared. He tried to warn me through dreams but I was too distance from him to understand exactly what he was telling me in those signs and dreams. Oh, how much I blamed God for every of my mistakes. I traded God for a man like Pete. Pete became the center of my entire being. I became boastful and careless to the extent I stop teaching in the teenage class. I wanted to be seen each Sunday and admire for my apparel and looks. I threw conscience to the wind the moment Pete proposed… just within few weeks of meeting him. I forgot about the principles I held dearly, that even made me broke up with Martin. Pete deceived me vinto believing he was a true Christian, he said his parents were both ministers before dying in an accident. He said I and the kids mattered most in his life Jane. I believed it all. How could I? Falling deeper into sin due to what he was offering. I became pregnant and because I did not want to add more sin to the plate by aborting the child I persuaded him into marrying me in a hurry. He never acted like already married man with teenage kids even for once. There was nothing to suspect about him. I don’t how I will be able to stand in front of the church and teens that looked up to me with pregnancy out of wedlock. They will come to know that I never practiced what I preached. Pete was busy stealing and bringing to me and I was enjoying every bit unknowingly. I have been thinking to myself and reminiscing over the whole ordeal and indeed I was gullible like he said. I was in between the whole thing, in between life and death. The devil almost sent me to abyss… the bottomless pit but Christ showed up and saved me from damnation. I have a second chance to life and that i won’t take for granted ever again…”

Jane heaped a sigh of relief again with a nod while Veronica wiped out a tear rolling down at one corner of her eyes.

Patricia still did not believe him no matter how convincing he sound.
She asked him again that early morning as she was getting dressed to leave for the day.

“,I
know you said it was not you that got it but how was she able to acquire the house huh? You know this lady for about five to six years and said she had lived in that house ever since but you never bother to ask her how she got the house or which of her relatives gave it to her. It baffles me Jubril and I don’t know how to just overlook that…”
Pete sat up from the bed and said.
“, I thought we were over this Pety, you asked me several times and I told you that I don’t how she got it. She actually told me…I guess it used to belong to one of her relatives. I can’t fully remember because Vero does not matter at all. My only home is here with you and the children. I only get to spend short time at Veronica’s place. I have never spent a full month or straight two weeks with her. I have apologies severally to you over what happened and you said it was okay… why are you still taunting me? I’m sorry Pety… really sorry”

Patricia looked over to him and said it was alright.
Deep down it wasn’t. Infact things have really changed for her.
She can’t believe that Pete will put a gun to her face. Looking back at what happened at Veronica’s place makes her start having a rethink over everything.
If her husband was heartless enough to want to burn down the whole building with his own children screaming and crying for help it means he is capable of anything. He did not only want to shoot and kill Veronica and her friend, he also wanted to set the house on fire and did not care who was in it.
Pete was more concerned in erasing his past with such a barbaric act.
Is four days already and she had not been able to sleep with her two eyes closed.
The fear of the unknown kept her awake most part of the night.
If she later find out that Veronica’s house was bought by Pete then there will be serious trouble.
She was getting dressed to drive all the way out to see Veronica and also to meet with the doctor who called her yesterday but she didn’t pick up due to her husband was close by.

He believes that she was going to the office and she informed him that she will also be visiting a client who wants to check out a property on sale.
She will be having a very busy day and may return home late.
Pete wished her the best of the day but Patricia was going over to the hospital and she hopes Veronica tells her the truth about the house.

She had doubted the company when they said that her husband defrauded them several millions.
How can that be when Pete never invested or had any major savings.

The

bank froze his account too and all the money in it was gone.
He was locked up in prison, she took the burden of sourcing for money to bail him out. She sold her properties, almost emptied her savings just to pay atleast half of the debt so that he will be released.
So it will really be painful to find out that Pete squandered all the money on Veronica, gave her a good comfortable life, a house and probably a car too without bringing anything home only a pot full of debt thereafter.
He can’t be busy trying to impress Veronica while forgetting his main home.
If she finds out that Pete bought that house that runs in millions for Vero then a serious war will be set out.

It only means that her husband takes her for granted.
Because he feels that she has money and always ready to care for the home, it makes him abandon his duty and responsibilities for her to carry.

That won’t happen and she will have to find out today.
Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 10:16pm On Nov 24, 2021
Pete is in trouble

1 Like

Re: In Between by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 24, 2021
I'm a big fan of Amah. Her stories capture the heart kiss

1 Like

Re: In Between by judinho07(m): 12:56am On Nov 25, 2021
"intresting....can't wait 4 ur next update...nice one dear.!!!!

1 Like

Re: In Between by Dapalace: 1:33am On Dec 01, 2021
IN BETWEEN
Episode 24
By AMAH’S HEART.

She kept driving while trying to wave off the hate, the anger forming on her mind.
Is better she gives him the benefit of doubt and hang on to some tiny hope like she had done all this years.

She loved her husband dearly and had overlooked so many of his errors and bad sides.

She had wanted to divorce him in the past, during the first fraudulent charges that his company leveled on him and it turned out to be true.
A devasting moment and a big stain to their names.
Their lives and marriage was shaken by the whole saga.
He was supposed to served a long term sentence in prison but due to her influence and also putting in all the resources she had Pete was released.
After she managed to free him, she didn’t sense guilt or full remorsefulness in his actions and that was when she started having a deep rethink over the marriage.
She was going to end the whole thing, kick Pete out because by right the house was hers and take care of the kids.
He was free to come and visit but that was all to it.
For her sanity sake she prefers to be alone.
The shame, pain and all her hard earned money that went down during the process was too much loss.

Initially, she did not mind because all that matters was that her husband, the man she loved with all her heart and father of her children was out and safe but what pisses her off is his act of pride.
Portraying himself like what he did was right, no consequences to his actions due to he has a caring wife that won’t let him last a day in prison.
He felt that he can do it all over and no one has the right to send him to jail.
That was when she started thinking of letting it all go. Letting her sacrifice in the marriage and her so called husband to go.
It was as if Pete sensed what she intended and began to plead for her forgiveness.
She had to forgive and put it all behind her
Not until it happened again after few years and this time the money was huge.
Double to the previous theft.

She

couldn’t tell what he did with the millions except that he squandered it carelessly and the remaining one was frozen by his company.
With her influence again and selling most of her property that could have worth more than what she sold them in few years time and also through the help of some of her influential clients she was able to bail him out after months of cooling in jail.
She had to also source for the help of the banks are thereby using one of her property as collateral which they are still holding onto.
All of this she sacrificed for a man she called her husband and she even assisted in setting up his own pharmaceutical store since he has lots of knowledge on medicine.
He was scrutinized and money was paid to get him a licence so that he can practice.
This year she had thought everything was settled and no more crisis or troubling drama until Veronica showed up and ever since everything changed.

She was heart broken when she got those pictures from Veronica and that was when Pete began to confess of having an affair which produced two kids after lying that Veronica was just a colleague who was obsessed with him.

And despite his criminal records he still had the mind of adding murder to it.

He almost succeeded with his act of killing Veronica, her kids and also Jane her friend without any sign of fear.
Another big mess that she will be dragged into and will start looking for a means to tidy it up.
Pushed into his mess again without choice.
If not that she followed him and appeared just at the right time it would have been too late to remedy anything.
Lives and properties would have been lost and Pete will act like nothing happened because that is mostly his way.

She

will not only be married to a criminal or ex convict but also a murderer.
That will be freaky scary.
She had paid for all the hospital bills for Veronica and asked the doctor to try his possible best to keep her alive.

Her husband did not ask her even for once about Veronica or the kids.
He did not care if she died or survived instead he was a bit relieved that they may never trouble him again.

“…. pathetic, inconsiderate, selfish barbarian…”
Patricia spoke out loud to the quiet car as she kept driving trying to suppress the anger and agony resting in her heart.

And now her concerns is getting the truth from Veronica.
Hopefully she will tell her the truth about the house.
She also hopes that Jubril has nothing to do with it.

Patricia was believing that her husband is telling the truth and if so, it will be his saving grace.

She got to the hospital, parked, picked up her bag and walked into the hospital.
The doctor attending to Veronica was just coming out of his office.
He saw Patricia and called out to her.
She greeted him kindly with a smile as she asked about Veronica.
The doctor told her that Veronica was recuperating fine.
He asked to see her in his office but she said he should hold on for some minutes.

She needs to see Veronica first before coming to talk with him.
The doctor allowed her to go.
She tapped gently on the door before walking in.

“Hey… how’re you doing?
Patricia asked gently as she entered the private hospital ward where Veronica was.

“I’m doing great by the grace of God. Thanks to God for another chance to life and thanks to you too Patricia for overlooking everything and helping me. God bless you and grant you your desires. I’m forever grateful… thank you.

Patricia did not smile or say anything as she took few feets closer to her bedside.

“I’m not really a religious person Vero but I will still say Amen to your prayers. You may be right when you say God gave you another chance to life but it could still be coincidence. Me showing up at the right time to help save the day…”

Veronica looked up at her and said.
“No sparrow falls from the sky to the ground without his knowledge. For he knows the number of your hair and your deepest thought. Patricia, I don’t believe in coincidence…I believe in God. I have taken him for granted enough I will never do that again…never. he knew you will be there that day. Jane wasn’t supposed to come…I wasn’t even expecting her until the weekend but God lead her down and it was due to the way she tries to engage Pete in a conversation that delayed him shooting until you showed up just in time. God knew what was going to happen that way. he showed me signs through dreams severally but I never understood but I do now. Is okay not to be religious, I’m not religious either but I believe in God and he has the best interest for us all despite how filthy we are. Maybe you should also try giving it a try. God is everywhere… in your car, your kitchen, bathroom, every corner of your house and wherever you find yourself. Talk to him wherever and whenever…trust me he will be listening. It may only tarry but with perseverance it will come to past…”

With a sarcastic look on Patricia face while rolling her eyes at Veronica she asked

“So, why didn’t you ask him about Jubril before getting hooked. Probably, the all knowingly God would have revealed to you that he is a married man with children. He allowed and approved your pathetic union, leading you into such disgusting relationship and you even went to church to be joined together by a pastor. you had two children and for good six years you never know the real man you think you married. there was nothing about him aside what he told you. Why did God not tell you that you were coming in between already married couple? You agreed to became an agent to destroy my home? I thought your bible said that whatever God joined together let no man put asunder?

Veronica sighed heavily and said.
“, Just like I told you earlier God is not to be blamed for my faults. It was all my blinded actions. Give me the full portion of the blames Patricia…i will agree and take full responsibility for it. but leave God out of it… totally. He tried to warn me but I was carried away Patricia. I allowed myself to be deceived. I even made Pete the center of my world and put God at one corner, but his mercies never ceased in my life, his love is renewed every morning. I’m sorry… really sorry for every pain I must have caused you and your entire household. This few days, lying in this bed had made me realize how selfish and gullible I was…”

Patricia

sighed sadly and said.
“, I’m not totally blaming you Vero. You were only a victim in all of this without a foreknowledge on Jubril. Is even the kids I pity the most. They deserve a better father in their lives. Your mistake of getting hitched with a strange man like Jubril could have caused them their precious, innocent lives. I’m just angry at how it all turned out and how I ignored the daring signs due to I never wanted a broken home because I came from one and wouldn’t want my kids to experience such but sometimes is better to be alone than to be with someone that doesn’t give you peace of mind. Atleast, you have a fine home to return to with your kids. try to move past this whole thing Vero, I understand how traumatizing it must be for you and your little ones. With time it will become a thing of the past… that’s certain. By the way your house is beautiful and in a very discreted area. It suit those wanting a private life…far away from the crowdy, noisy world. Since houses are like my favorite toys, seeing yours I knew it was a big one. Was it an inheritance, a gift or you bought it?
“None of the above Patricia. Pete bought it, he said he wanted a beautiful house in a quiet area and our house fit in perfectly to his taste. Even though he never stayed around much but I came to love everything about that house. Well, not anymore. I’m not going back there, it appears like a hell hole to me. It doesn’t hold any good memories. Since houses are your thing and the man behind it all is your legal husband whom you have suffered so much with… then you can go ahead and do whatever you want with the house. Just give us time to move out some of our things…”

Patricia became very quiet and didn’t speak for a while.
Veronica watch her move her lips uncontrollable. She Made hard fist out of her right hand.

“He lied, he lied to me again and again. Oh no… lying bastar…..d..”
Patricia said quietly to herself
Veronica couldn’t figure out what she meant in her quiet whisper.

“I’m sorry Patricia, if did or say anything wrong please forgive. I don’t want to fight, compete or challenge you or anyone. Is exhausting and I really don’t have such strength in me anymore. Take anything you want, take the house, even the car… they are all from Pete. But please pardon me and my kids and let us be in peace.

Patricia

tapped her gently on the shoulder and said.
“Don’t panic Vero. I’m not going to hurt you or your children. I can’t contribute in saving your life and still want to take the same life or freedom away from you. This other upcoming fight will be between i and Jubril and it had nothing to do with you. Relax and get well soon so that you can go back to your children and start your life again. You are not in anyway a threat and my happiness is that you are alive and well again. Maybe indeed God cares about you by making me to be there at the right time. I’m going to see the doctor now….it was nice speaking with you Vero. I will keep in touch…”
She turned and walked away.

She walked into the doctors office majestically and unbothered and took a seat across the table.

They began to talk and the doctor asked her about the shooting and before he will finish Patricia interrupted.
“Is my husband, Mr Jubril Elliot who deceived your patient Veronica into believing he was single and there by cohabitating with her for over five years and defrauding his company which he used to fund his extravagant lifestyle. When the truth finally came to light he tries to cover it up by going to kill Veronica and the children he had with her, also her friend who happens to be there as of the time of the incident. He intended shooting them to death and razing down the house with their bodies and that of the children in it. Yes, my legally wedded husband is behind it all and his name is Jubril Elliot. If you search him out you will understand his frightening criminal records and how dangerous he is to the outside world. More reason that I’m going to see that justice is served, he will be convicted of his whole crime. somebody like him deserve to be behind bars. Don’t misunderstand me, I love my husband but covering his multitude of sin makes me an accomplice. I have suffered enough for his atrocities, is time for him to carry his cross alone, bear the heavy weight of his evil deeds…alone this time…”!

The doctor was dumbfounded. He looked into Patricia eyes and saw a woman who have been through a lot of silent pain and emotionally torture.

“I know how hard this must be for you Mrs Elliot. Your husband won’t get away with this demeaning, attempted murderous act of his. I’m informing the police right away…if that’s okay by you..”

“First of all, please I will rather prefer you address me as Patricia. Secondly, this is not hard for me at all…is exactly what I should have done long time ago…but is better late than never. Thirdly, trust me and give me two weeks to fix up something back at home before you start involving the police but you can tell them to be at alert just in case. I will give you a call doctor when everything is successful fixed and then you can send down the police to do away with him and I will be willing and ready to testify against him when the time comes. The earlier he is put away in chains and in a hole like the criminal that he is the better for everyone….”

The doctor nodded quietly as Patricia stood and walked away.

The battle is now between her and Jubril, let’s see how it turns out.

Patricia went into her car and zoomed off.
She has an unfinished business waiting for her at home.
Her husband is the main “business” relaxing and enjoying himself as he pleases.

He should enjoy to the fullest because after two weeks, his time will be up.
Re: In Between by Dapalace: 1:34am On Dec 01, 2021
FINAL EPISODE OF IN BETWEEN
BY AMAH’S HEART.

Veronica drove in from her office and the kids rushed out to welcome her.
There was a car parked close to her gate.
She didn’t want to think much about it because it didn’t affect her from driving in but she grows suspecious of everything ever since her near death experience

“Something smells nice, Rose what’s cooking?
She asked her daughter as she became very curious.

Her daughter told her that she was cooking while the brother was assisting her.

“, Cooking… cooking what? You can’t possibly be cooking something that smells this good….”

She was already rushing in before the children burn down the house with whatever they are cooking.

“Mom, I can cook very well is just that you haven’t given me the chance to do so. I’m eleven not the regular five years old that can’t do anything. Beside is your birthday so I thought maybe we can make something delicious for you…”

Immediately she opened the door she was startled by the random ” happy birthday surprise” shout.
She looked around and there stood Jane and her two daughters Becca and Deborah. She was pregnant again and that was another shock for Veronica.

“Jane… you? I can’t believe you came?

“Is been two years since we set eyes on each other Vero. The distance is indeed a barrier. I just had to drive all the way down with my girls today to surprise you and I brought all the goodies I can think off… happy birthday girlfriend.”

Vero and Jane embraced each other tight.
After the long hug Vero said to her.
“You don’t have to… especially in your condition. That’s another surprise though… you never told me that you were pregnant again Jane? How’s your husband by the way? Anyway, we will catch later…I need a taste of whatever that smells this good. Rose tried to trick me into believing she was behind it but she forgot that I’m her mother and I do know her too well….”

They

all laugh as they began feasting on the already set table.
After they finished up and everything was cleared out.
Veronica went to freshen up while Jane put the children to bed.
After the kids went to bed, Veronica was ready for the night, same with Jane they decided to have a personal chat and catch up since is been years they saw each other face to face aside the numerous phone calls.
The cool night breeze blows in as they sat down in the living room and began to talk
Veronica asked Jane about her husband and how things were moving with her.

“Dan have been an angel, we are strongly rooted in God and our strength is renewed on each passing day. Every of my life mistakes and trouble pushed me more closer to knowing God. after getting married to Dan it became even more stronger because Dan doesn’t joke with God either. Our family is blessed…he officially adopted Becca as his own. Deborah is already three and in about few month we will have another addition. Having three children is huge but they are blessings from the Lord. I went for scan again last week and they confirmed that is a boy. I’m so excited… Dan is happy. I wanted to keep it as a surprise but my mouth is running due to the happiness in my heart Vero. After this one we will be closing the chapter of pregnancy. Let’s focus on the one God has blessed us with and train them up in the knowledge of the most high. We really miss you and the kids. You drove down two years ago to see us, it was my turn to reciprocate. You have done it twice and I couldn’t wait to surprise you. Dan asked if we can wait until the weekend so that he can drive us down himself. I told him not to bother… today is Friday, we will spend the Saturday with you guys before heading back on Sunday. Don’t worry about feeding…I have it covered. I’m really happy to see you and the kids… all grown. Look at Rose… she has grown so much like you in everything even in voice. We can’t both deny that Josh has his father’s resemblance… facial and nothing more. God forbids if there should be anything more. He will be a great champ, loving and caring and mostly God fearing too… nothin like his Dad…”

Veronica

laughed for so long with smirking look on Jane’s face.
“You look good too Jane. I’m happy for you and thank God every day for your strong faith in God. God have been merciful to me…so merciful and kind. Business is going on well, the children are really a blessing I must confess. Life have been pleasant in general. After Patricia sold the house handsomely and surprisingly gave me huge amount of money, millions to start my life again I didn’t hesitate to begin afresh. Leaving the state to miles away, Starting my business and leaving all the fear and trauma behind. Is been five years already after the saga Jane and yet it still feels like yesterday. Is God and my kids now…no man involved. I have trust issue when it comes to men and I don’t intend getting into any relationship mess ever again. I’m satisfied with my second chance and the children God had blessed me with…I won’t blow it up ever…”

Jane heaped a sigh before saying
“Do you still hear from Patricia…it must be very hard for her despite that woman looks tough and harden but she is a human with emotions. Watching her husband blow himself up right in the middle of their living room must be so hard to digest. Just because he wanted to escape arrest and life sentence in prison. Pete is very selfish not to have consider Patricia or the kids before taking such action…!”

There was silence as their mind both travelled to the past.
Vero spoke
“Is been years I spoke with Patricia. After the house transaction and she called like twice to check up nothing from her again. Is for the better Jane. Everyone needs to heal from the pain Pete inflicted in our hearts. Patricia told me then that Pete swore that he will never step foot into the prison again, he will rather die instead. I told you about it the last time I visited. He begged her to use her influence to help him out but Patricia told him that it was over. She was done helping him. He picked up a gun and threaten to shoot Patricia if she does not do as he said. For the sake of her life and the children she agreed to try and after making like three calls but none of the people in high office were willing to help, Pete becomes more furious. two of their children were home, the third was out and they witnessed Pete pointing gun at their mother. Pete said he will kill them all and himself inclusive if Patricia do not help him get out. His criminal records, forgery and attempt murder would Land him a lifetime sentence. Pete knew this and know his only ticket out is Patricia who obviously had exhausted all measures too. The kids cried and pleaded that he shouldn’t shoot their mother. Patricia told me that she just stood there staring at him and hoping that it won’t be her last day on earth. Knowing what Pete is capable off made her fear grew. She said that she began to think about God and every thing I told her concerning God back at the hospital. She muttered few words asking God to see her through that deadly situation and she will dedicate her life serving him. Pete called her all sort of names and said she was a traitor…a betrayal. And because she betrayed him he will put an end to her miserable life. I don’t know how one of the the kids managed to alert the police. Probably when Pete was talking in rage, walking about with the gun and destroying everything he set his eyes on. Hearing the police siren blowing outside the gate, fear grabbed him. it was at this time that realization hit Pete… there was no escaping. He suddenly turned the gun over to himself and fired a shot to his head without a second thought. He died at the spot and after he was buried Patricia sold off the building which she never intended to sell before. She relocated to far away city with the children where nobody knows about neither did she disclose it to anyone. She live a very quiet and private life. She fulfilled her promise to serving God with her children and her life took a beautiful new turn just like mine. Did you know initially that Patricia almost chickened out of bringing Pete to Justice. She said she couldn’t do it at first… even after two weeks. Rather she she gave her kids the police contacts incase of any emergency. Police started visiting them after waiting for Patricia’s call and none came, they began asking questions and inviting Pete to the station for questioning of which he refused. That was when he started suspecting Patricia and blew hot the day he found out that Patricia was behind it all…”

Veronica

sighed and continued
“…. Well, is sad the way it all ended but I’m glad there’s an end. We can all live our lives without worries or fear of the unknown. Is still traumatizing Jane but we’re all in the healing process and with God we will be alright. I’m teaching in a Sunday school class in this my new church. After moving down here, we found a Bible believing church and after few months I volunteered to become one of the church worker. This is not like the previous… my service to God and mankind is Paramount… very important. I will never joke with that… I’m dedicated untill God finally calls me home….”
The night wears on and they stayed up talking and reminiscing over the past and what the future holds.

Jane later stood that she was going to bed. Veronica asked her to wait so that they can both pray.
Veronica led the praises and prayer which lasted for about ten to fifteen minutes.
And after which they both retired to bed.

Tomorrow is another day to be happy.
The past years held so many failure and lessons. They were done dwelling in the pain and regrets that it brings.

years has gone by, is time to forge ahead and leave whatever belongs to the past in the past but they will never leave the lesson that comes with it.

THE END
Re: In Between by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 01, 2021
Wow wow wow...lovely story

1 Like

Re: In Between by aprilwise(m): 1:33pm On Dec 01, 2021
Nice ending

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My First Night With A Unilag Babe Part 3 / Knowing Alpha (An Alpha And Beta Duology, Book 1) by D. L. Biranen / What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 250
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.