Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

PHCN Pay As You Go - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PHCN Pay As You Go (4511 Views)

PHCN Will Cease To Exist From 2012: Minister Of Power / Phcn On Strike Again? / Problem of PHCN/NEPA: Price Of Electricity Is Too Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHCN Pay As You Go by abrahym(m): 1:03am On Jul 23, 2007
Hi Guys I Heard About The PHCN Pay As You Go Service. Anybody that has an idea?
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Jul 26, 2007
I have no idea, my brother. If you get more information about this NEPa PHCN Payg scheme, please share.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by trustboy: 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2007
Seun,
I have just converted the normal PHCN meters to the pay as you go at my property in naija. I suppose this is a bit of a risk, but am hoping it would be cheaper considering the fact that PHCN bills you, whether you consume electricity or not.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by denex: 8:08pm On Jul 26, 2007
The new prepaid meters are far cheaper than the previous ones.

The basic charge is about the same rate: N6 per kWh. But you don't pay anything extra if you don't use the power. No meter maintenance fee, no fixed charge, no disconnection or reconnection fees, no estimated bills.

I've been using one of those meters for 2 months now and I still haven't consumed up to 5 thousand Naira.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by egoldman(m): 7:59am On Jul 27, 2007
denex:

The new prepaid meters are far cheaper than the previous ones.

The basic charge is about the same rate: N6 per kWh. But you don't pay anything extra if you don't use the power. No meter maintenance fee, no fixed charge, no disconnection or reconnection fees, no estimated bills.

I've been using one of those meters for 2 months now and I still haven't consumed up to 5 thousand Naira.

In that case , its a good thing .
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by vigasimple(m): 1:47pm On Jul 27, 2007
I haven't see any of those Pay as you go meter, and it sound as if it is a good idea.

However, I hope it is tamper proof so that people will not be joinning wire/tap as usual.

If it is tamper proof then PHCN will not need meter readers and people to disconnect anymore and can collect revenue upfront and become more efficient.

Let us have more info on this so that we can promote it and get our power working efficiently.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by martin007(m): 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2007
i Think its a good thing, cos right now, you Pay for what you use, just as you would Recharge your GSM phones with Airtime, same goes with the new PHCN meters. Considering the fact that before, whether you Use it or not, its like a fixed price, but now it aint so anymore, now its more like if you want to travel and there wont be anybody staying back in your house, you shut down everything and your credit is safe, what you left is what you would come back to meet. Today is a week now, since it was installed where i am, it came with 30Unit, which lasted for about 3days, cos of the AC's i use and i had to buy a new card.

The funny thing is when the card is remaining like 5 or so unit, it gives out a beep(kinda like warning you) make u no fear oh, nobi Time-bomb. grin
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by justme3(m): 8:48pm On Jul 27, 2007
seems cheap but i hope i wont have to pay through my nose cos i leave the air-conditioning on 24hrs(at least when there is power)
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Dumsky(m): 9:18pm On Jul 27, 2007
I've been using one for about 3 months now and can tell you a few things:
Is it cheap? You bet, even with air conditioning.
I'd however like to correct the impression that there's no maintenance fee. You actually pay a fixed charge of about N136 monthly as maintenance fee and recently N962 as cost of the meter monthly which is spread over a 24month period on a single phased meter.
It's however a much better option compared to the old system.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by hope(f): 10:36pm On Jul 27, 2007
we have been using it in our office for the past 3years and u will have every cause to feel relax.it is cheap and u know how to control ur meter the way u like.

You know what? Any time the nepa men are around to check the bill they get dissapointed because it on pay as you go,nothing like disconnect fees and other things they normal see during the period of checking the bill.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by WesleyanA(f): 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2007
that's a good thing then i guess. i hope things get even better.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by DisGuy: 11:51pm On Jul 27, 2007
so how much is it?
how/where do you get it
how do you connect it?
where do you recharge or buy the charge card?
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Oracle(m): 4:04am On Jul 28, 2007
PHCN comes to connect it in your house.
you buy the cards in any approved bank or the PHCN office closest to you.
You are billed according to your consumption, this gas made people more careful of their consumption.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by fesse(f): 10:12am On Jul 28, 2007
i have not seen it but i guess, it is a very good one.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by angel101(f): 10:31am On Jul 28, 2007
Last time i was in lagos i spent 2k for 1 month! that is very cheap but i guess thats because there was disruption of service most times grin all in all, i think its very good if only for the fact that u have no business with the nepa boys.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by charlisco(m): 12:00pm On Jul 28, 2007
please canyone here post the image of the pay as you go meter looks like
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by akanze: 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2007
If Pay as you go scheme can be implemented, i think it is better.

It will pay nigerians more, at least, you will be paying for what you use.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by collins123(m): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2007
Good Idea!
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by spaceworld: 1:23am On Jul 29, 2007
Much more available for people living in Lekki and Ajah area, just walk in into ur PHCH area office request for application form and fill in all necessary details and make your payment, The meter will me issued to you, i will get more step by step details available tomorrow.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by U1(m): 2:00pm On Jul 29, 2007
I've started to hear the advert for the new PHCN prepaid meter in the electronic media.What my concern is in all this is the fact that will this really guarantee stable power supply.
Why?The other time I heard on a radio programme,here in Lagos,a man who uses the meter complaining that in spite of the prepaid card,they still have the epileptic power supply problem.And I wonder,what is the use?
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by simplyme3(f): 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2007
at least there is something newly introduced in nigeria that people supports and thinks will work.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by nikinash(f): 2:05pm On Jul 30, 2007
its actually better for two reasons:

1. you dont have to go through the hassles of nepa/phcn disconnections (even when they just brought the bill two days ago!)
2. you actually as you use ( and considering the fact that you only get electricity for about half the day, you pay less)
3. it helps you cut down on asting of electricity when you plug in unnecessary appliances. (so you ifnd yourself going around the house shutting down applicances and bulbs all over your house)
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by pisces20: 9:14pm On Jul 30, 2007
yeah it''s okay though you still have to pay fpr tax and meter maintenance everymonth.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Prince22(m): 4:52am On Jul 31, 2007
do we have a trust people that can make a sensitive technology work in nig. without being tempered with?
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by teddydeji: 10:20am On Jul 31, 2007
the prepaid meter only read your consumption but not that it supply or generate electricity.the problem of phcn goes beyond pre paid meter. the main problem is the that phcn is generating far less than the demand from consumers. long years of misrule and corruption av made the generating stations to be overused and over-stressed.u will recall that most of these station are in place when the supply of ac, electric irons,modern sound systems etc are not in place in nigeria.yet when they came and almost every household can afford one or more of these equipment, new stations were not put in place to make up for such demand. pre paid meter only ensure that corrupt phcn staff does not rip u off by giving u estimated bills thereby making u pay for electricity not consumed.
though one might say prepaid will help to bring genuine revenue to the authrity of phcn rather than their corrupt officers, thereby making them to replow the fund to replace old and obsolete distribution and transmission facilities.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by toba1909(m): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2007
The pay as you go has been introduced far back as 2005, i being using it in my house at Oluyole Estate Ibadan, But this can't still solve the PHCN illegal billings ang out outages. I think the federal government is inviting some Independent Power Producers (IPP), they might probably solve the bull shit PHCN is doing.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by jaymobb(m): 10:15am On Aug 02, 2007
abeg make i ask o! re pple sayin dat wit the PHCN (pay as u go )
u get to be exempted from the irritating and annoying power failure or
u still get to suffer the same as those wit the old ones undecidedcause if dats
the case then i would say i still prefer the one o grin
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Ifeniyi22(m): 4:55pm On Aug 02, 2007
Can anymore please tell me how much these prepaid meters cost? I think I like the idea.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by trustboy: 5:35pm On Aug 02, 2007
Ifeniyi22
I had my meters changed from the former ones to pay as you go without paying a kobo.
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by martin007(m): 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2007
phcn prepaid meter

Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by DisGuy: 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2007
bloody hell that's a death trap! who's your electrician? you should get the whole set tidy shocked
what ever happened to health and safety
Re: PHCN Pay As You Go by Seun(m): 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2007
"Health and safety" is not the same thing as "tidiness", man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nospetco Oil And Gas - Verification Of Investors / Dangote To Open Cement Plant In Congo / Any Nairalake Member Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.