Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,256 members, 7,822,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Dual Boot Os - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dual Boot Os (1271 Views)

How To Install Obuntu-linux ISO Operating System On Your Windows / Dual Boot Win / How To Dual Boot And Install Macos Mojave On Any Laptop / How Do I Dual Boot Kali Linux And Windows 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dual Boot Os by Saskay44: 10:41am On Sep 26, 2021
Please can I use external hard drive instead of flash to boot an os on my pc
Re: Dual Boot Os by Greatzeus(m): 6:29pm On Sep 26, 2021
Saskay44:
Please can I use external hard drive instead of flash to boot an os on my pc
No,Hard drives are in NTFS file system format while flashdrives are in FAT32 format.
NTFS is created by Microsoft,the HDD with NTFS file system works on Microsoft only,for transfer or receiving data.
FAT32 is also created by Microsoft but more universal,you can use storage devices in FAT32 file system eg flash drive to transfer or receive data from Microsoft,Linux or Mac OS.
So if you want to boot from external storage device,you have to use the ones that are in FAT32,or else it won't boot.
Also you can convert a storage device with FAT32 to NTFS without formatting,but you can't convert NTFS device to FAT32, unless you format it.
I have 2 flash drives,one has Ubuntu 20 and the other windows 20H2 on them,I burn the OS on the drives using Rufus.
Re: Dual Boot Os by Saskay44: 9:36pm On Sep 26, 2021
Greatzeus:

No,Hard drives are in NTFS file system format while flashdrives are in FAT32 format.
NTFS is created by Microsoft,the HDD with NTFS file system works on Microsoft only,for transfer or receiving data.
FAT32 is also created by Microsoft but more universal,you can use storage devices in FAT32 file system eg flash drive to transfer or receive data from Microsoft,Linux or Mac OS.
So if you want to boot from external storage device,you have to use the ones that are in FAT32,or else it won't boot.
Also you can convert a storage device with FAT32 to NTFS without formatting,but you can't convert NTFS device to FAT32, unless you format it.
I have 2 flash drives,one has Ubuntu 20 and the other windows 20H2 on them,I burn the OS on the drives using Rufus.
thanks for this

(1) (Reply)

BOOK for Your MAC with One Of These MACBOOKS!!! / Trojan.w32.looksky Infected My System. Need Help Pls / Site For Downloading Latest Mp4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.