Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Dark Skin Gurls - - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dark Skin Gurls - (1739 Views)

Dark Skin VS Light Skin / "Lightskin" Guys Who Try To Hard To Exude "Blackness" & Dark Skin Uncle Toms / But Why Do Dark Skin Females Bleach Their Skin? Slave Mentality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dark Skin Gurls - by Sirfly: 11:41pm On May 27, 2011
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Idowuogbo(f): 12:01am On May 28, 2011
darkskin is beautifulll
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Dsense(m): 12:07am On May 28, 2011
Sensless pig
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by HighChief4(m): 1:19am On May 28, 2011
Black is beautiful
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Nobody: 1:52am On May 28, 2011
[color=indigo]Reposted:
[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtkNk1-48U?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

@6:37 SHE'S JAMAICAN!!!  cheesy cheesy

@8:32 SOOOOOOO REAL![/COLOR]
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Nobody: 2:04am On May 28, 2011
[COLOR=INDIGO]@ video:

Oh well such is life. As someone said it's black people that make this issue
such a big deal. Slavery had a lot to do with our self esteem as western blacks
but now a days with soo many dark skinned woman having self esteem and holding
respectable positions in our societies and around the world it really makes one wonder
why would someone be ashamed of such a lovely, pure chocolate complexion?

just because some "fine" or fugly light skinned dude or woman says they don't like dark skinned
people why should I crumble? Why would I want to trade in my complexion with theirs that
has not only been watered down but a constant reminder here in the west of what happened
to our fore mothers and their slave owners? This is not to make light people feel bad but
I, if anything, wish I were darker![b] Any [black] man that tells me I am too dark or overlooks me
is not a man I desire in the first place [/b]because any man I will call my own must love me for me
and being that I pray to God that my eventual soul mate is dark skinned, he must love himself as well.

It's up to the mothers and fathers of our race to stand up and raise our children with pride
and educate them about their history. Too many non-blacks are dying over our complexions and
would pay sooo much to have the chance to trade places with us.

Self esteem is a must but it's not just a black problem. There are plenty of light skinned women
who wish to be darker and hate their complexions not to mention other races who have colorism issues
and hate their own.

btw this thread should be moved to culture or tribalism. cheesy[/color]
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by InkedNerd(f): 4:36am On May 28, 2011
I saw the video last night on a couple of natural hair websites. It's interesting. The video's been passed around FB and websites like crazy.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by tpia5: 1:50pm On May 28, 2011
Is this the same video posted by sefago on the other thread.

Oh well, anyone who isnt comfortable in their skin can always bleach or something.

There was this biography i read about a russian woman who was black but had a white american grandmother (her grandparents had moved to russia from the US partly due to racism and partly because they were communists). So, the lady grew up and visited america after some time. In russia, she'd dated a blond blue eyed guy and they'd almost gotten married but had broken up for various reasons.

On arrival in america, the lady(she was black/african, btw, because her dad was african), who happened to be dark skinned, met a light skinned AA guy she liked.  Imagine her surprise one day when the man told her he could have considered a relationship with her but for the fact that she was too dark.

The woman was very surprised at the colorism, moreso she'd almost married a blue eyed blonde back in russia.

So, these color issues are a big reality for many black people.

in particular, the ones overseas.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by ChinenyeN(m): 4:09pm On May 28, 2011
Dark Skin Girls - #1 in my book.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by ADM1(m): 7:40pm On May 28, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

[COLOR=INDIGO]@ video:

Oh well such is life. As someone said it's black people that make this issue
such a big deal. Slavery had a lot to do with our self esteem as western blacks
but now a days with soo many dark skinned woman having self esteem and holding
respectable positions in our societies and around the world it really makes one wonder

just because some "fine" or fugly light skinned dude or woman says they don't like dark skinned
people why should I crumble? Why would I want to trade in my complexion with theirs that
has not only been watered down but a constant reminder here in the west of what happened
to our fore mothers and their slave owners? This is not to make light people feel bad but
I, if anything, wish I were darker![b] Any [black] man that tells me I am too dark or overlooks me
is not a man I desire in the first place [/b]because any man I will call my own must love me for me
and being that I pray to God that my eventual soul mate is dark skinned, he must love himself as well.

It's up to the mothers and fathers of our race to stand up and raise our children with pride
and educate them about their history. Too many non-blacks are dying over our complexions and
would pay sooo much to have the chance to trade places with us.

Self esteem is a must but it's not just a black problem. There are plenty of light skinned women
who wish to be darker and hate their complexions not to mention other races who have colorism issues
and hate their own.

btw this thread should be moved to culture or tribalism. cheesy[/color]

Excellent comment, one of the best I've read.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by ADM1(m): 7:43pm On May 28, 2011
I've always wondered why some view white women as the only standard of female beauty. I know about the oppression and what came with it, but I don't see how white women can be the only standard of female beauty to some. I don't find them attractive at all. One of the reasons I'm glad I'm a black man is because of black women. I love you sisters.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by InkedNerd(f): 3:42am On May 29, 2011
A.D.M.:

I've always wondered why some view white women as the only standard of female beauty. I know about the oppression and what came with it, but I don't see how white women can be the only standard of female beauty to some. I don't find them attractive at all. One of the reasons I'm glad I'm a black man is because of black women. I love you sisters.

Awww, we love you too. Ya know, there's nothin' sexier than an intelligent black man wink
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by rabzy: 11:12am On Jun 07, 2011
I don't really care about the color of anyone's skin, i know its just pigmentation and anyone can be fine with any color if you take care of your skin. It seems black looks generally more healthy and it can go thru a lot of stress e.g pinches, bites, slaps, whips, cuts without it showing. i really want to know if there has been any study that shows the relative strenghts of different skin types, if they all have the same strentght.

But i think in most cultures, even in white societies, the darker the you are, then the greater possibility you would be thot of as coming from a lower class. The nobles and rich people of most cultures live their lives secure and covered under their palatial tents and mansions and therefore would have a skin that would potentially be fairer than others would have to work and play under the harsh weather conditions which would invariably impact on the color of their skin, the skin becomes coarser and darker.

My thots are this is probably the root cause of the negative view of darker skins, please note am not saying black skin, but a coloration which is seen as relatively darker compared to others in the same race.
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Iyineda(m): 4:38pm On Jun 07, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

[COLOR=INDIGO]
[/color]

To be honest, I don't think it is about skin complexion but about common "Subsaharan African" physical traits (eyes, nose, hair and lips in particular).

Those are the features that tend to establish dark skinned people as physically less attractive for the mainstream standard of beauty.
Skin colour is merely the tip of the iceberg, IMO.

My light skinned friends tell me that they aren't "attracted" to black women because of said features. They do not see skin colour to be a problem. If there is a dark skinned girl with typical European-like facial features, trust me, skin colour would seldom get in the way.

All I want to say is, be proud of who you are and never have it in mind to drastically change your natural physical appearance (bleaching, weaves, etc.). smiley

PS: I will post an insightful video that I found on youtube pertaining to this topic in a few. . .
Re: Dark Skin Gurls - by Iyineda(m): 10:32pm On Jun 07, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages / Can One Get Lotto Winning Numbers Through Black Magic? / Trying To Peek Into The Ethnoreligious History Of Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.