Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have (13178 Views)

Is This Query Letter Necessary? Absenteeism From Saturday’s Exercise / I'm A Civil Engineering Student Looking For Internship Placement / 21st Century Skills Every Graduate Needs To Secure That Dream Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by strangest(m): 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2021
Know person wey know road... Top skill
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by SonofGod231: 1:25pm On Sep 27, 2021
Using AutoCad,PVsyt, ArchiCAD, PDMS ,Autodesk inventor depends upon the task. Are you making a 2D schematic? How about routing and laying out a PCB board? Or making a complex 3D wiring harness? How about working on complex SCADA designs? Do you need software to check your work?
For Construction, Architectural and Civil engineering design ArchiCAD is better.
As an Electrical engineer it's best you learn how to use Autocad electrical,Autodesk inventor,PMDs.
I was lucky enough,In my 300level as a mechanical/Software engineering student we treated Autocad as a course.
Not many schools do that.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by vickydevoka(m): 1:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
ModelLook:
Are Engineers making it in Nigeria.

All these certification, courses, trainings and all, is it really worth it?

How many Engineers are working with Oil Firms?

How many Engineers into construction have good money on their own?

How many Engineers are cashing out big time or is that not why people study Engineering? To have plenty money. Nobody should start me with "We study it for the Passion".

After studying it and getting thousands of certificates along, you will now go learn tailoring or graphics design? undecided

This life no balance.
That's i stopped. I left the useless country

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Standing5(m): 1:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
ModelLook:

How many Engineers are cashing out big time or is that not why people study Engineering? To have plenty money. Nobody should start me with "We study it for the Passion".

After studying it and getting thousands of certificates along, you will now go learn tailoring or graphics design? undecided

This life no balance.
what is being discussed here is tools for improved engineering practice and not how to make them earn. When product is competitive and selling is when profit comes in. Before then, you need the right tools.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Sheriman(m): 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2021
Naturallyme:
Basic engineering knowledge most especially Mathematic, physics and chemistry. Mathematics will aid your analytical skills. Physics is the basis of all engineering discipline. This will help in analysing engineering problems, motion, statics, forces, stress, strain, failure modes and analysis

Know about concept of measurement and conversion from metric to imperial
Know about Engineering materials and their compositions - Steel, plastics, ceramics, etc
Know:
One CAD design software - Autocad, revit , etc
One Analysis software - Caecar, abaqus, sacs
One Maintenance planning software - e.g SAP PM
Most MS suit tools - Word, excel, outlook, etc
Know how to write code as well
Some Nigerians Engineering students don't even know all these things na how to do Yahoo and buy the latest benz full their head
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by SonofGod231: 1:54pm On Sep 27, 2021
ModelLook:

This life no balance.
One thing is to have an engineering certificate in Nigeria,another thing is having the practical/technical know how.
Engineers are living well in this country.
Yes,Oil Company Yakpa for Naija if you sabi work dem go sharply employ you.
Just the other day a maritime company in Lagos was searching for marine engineers to man their new vessels.
One other company was crewing,I reached out to my former colleagues but many of dem no even get marine papers.
Some no even fit change engine oil from a marine generator yet you say you be marine engineer?
Those are the things.
All those Airplanes for airport, vessels and ships for seaports,Trains for Train stations,plants for big hospitals and hotels.
Na ghosts dey maintain and repair dem?!
Money dey there,Big money because nothing moves without an engineer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cousin9999: 1:57pm On Sep 27, 2021
1. You should be curious enough to want to take random machines apart and rebuild them. But definitely don't do that without researching it first.

2. You should be passionate enough to have personal projects going. It can be anything, a robot or a cooking appliance.

3. If you don't like math, you better learn to enjoy its beauty.

4. You will have to code (regardless of discipline). So familiarize yourself with that. Your specialization will determine just how much you have to do.

Explore MOOCs on https://www.edx.org/

You won't be disappointed.

Also, think about what you can create specifically for Nigeria. It doesn't even have to be amazing. It could be various mods to existing technology.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by ofiko123(m): 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2021
Franking:
Just have a visa out of Nigeria.

My brother you have spoken..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by sweetMichael(m): 2:19pm On Sep 27, 2021
Safety training...

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Kolisky(m): 2:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
kayttah:
Omor, no be engineering we deh do for Nigeria abeg

You’re quite right. When I watch all these tutorials videos from these advanced countries, I wonder what we are studying here cry cry

I met a topic here on Nairaland that explicitly explained How to calculate blocks used in construction

Imagine, as a student engineer going to 500L, I had to learn it quite well.

Educational sector here is totally outdated.

They need to start teaching us what we gonna face in the real world
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by IkemChris(m): 2:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Grow as much as you can... As a civil engineer, I worked in a design firm from there to field from field to Human resources... I just decided to be as vast as I can... Them no dey stay one place watch masquerade... I have gotten my COREN the next move is to do MBA... Life no straight (especially in Nigeria so I go bend small)...
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by olaztek(m): 2:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
Electronics design skills

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by mikemiyaki: 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2021
Go learn PLC. I lost a job few years ago in NB because of it. Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by GerogeI(m): 3:13pm On Sep 27, 2021
I am going to speak generically a bit, but specifically about Mechanical Engineering.

As an Engr, the hard truth is that what we are learning in schools are not cutting edge nor functional, so do not expect to go to a first world country and bag front edge engineering jobs. The only way that happens is when you re-educate over there and slave for sometime to learn from experience.

Coming over to Nigeria, Remember engineering is all about solving problems of the society. There are many unsolved problems in our Nigerian and African Society, and the funny thing is they are all things that involve already matured Technology.

Why? Because in school we are thought many first principles and physics and complex mathematics, but no body ever taught us how to put these things together to solve actual real world problems. So you have many people who understand energy, heat, thermodynamics, but cannot create a simple oven.

The greatest gift you can give yourself as a Nigeria engineer is to sit yourself down and get a wholesome understanding of Engineering design(Never Read Shigley alone, you only reference it for design process if you want to make headway) putting together all you have learnt. If you can do this, you only need a few years of industry experience to work with codes and standards and you will never need a job.

I will be very specific
For a Mechanical Engr.
There are two Major Areas. 1.Materials and 2.Heat
For Materials.
1. Understand 3D stress
How and why you should resolve it to plan stress
Convenience of Mohrs circle
How come Von Misses stress can give 1 figure stress representation.

Bending and how these stress applies
Torsion and its stresses
Tension and Compression.

How to actually put all these together to create shafts, gears, sprocket, belt drives, screws, etc. This is the primary reason why you studied Mech Engr.

2. Do same for Heat
Understand how to Apply Heat transfer and thermodynamics to create actual applications, not just those engines you cram and vomit.

3. A. Learn to use just 1 CAD software. The rest are all based on the same graphics and matches concept, just the user interface is different.

B. Learn how to program the computer in just 1 language. The rest are all same, only syntax or grammar is different. They all use same ideas of variables, conditional statements, loops, object or data encapsulation. So just learn 1, you can always easily learn another one if required as long as you learnt the first one properly. One good choice would be how to program spreadsheets with vba.

C. Learn how to use spreadsheets like excel to build mathematical models manually. Nobody has time for paper calculations anymore. And no, Excel is not for accountants. You will be surprised how much you can do on a spreadsheet.

Finally look around you, you will find a problem that only someone with your skillset can solve. Choose something that people are already paying heavily for an imported solution. When you solve it locally you can cash out. Create a solution on your computer.
Sell the idea to someone to fund a prototype. Then sell the idea again for commercialization. You do not need to be employed, rather you have the capacity to create things that will employ others and take your share.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by PediakAuthor: 3:18pm On Sep 27, 2021
Automated Computer Aided Designs (AutoCAD) technology is quite prerequisite, and there are several software to acquire the knowledge. However, make sure you understand the complexities of Engineering Drawings & Advanced Technical Designs before you proceed with any Computer Aided Designs (CAD) Applications, it makes things easier. You can also learn some computer programming languages - even if it entails learning QBasic or HTML for a start for you to understand programming concept. Beyond APP's interactivity, you can also learn JavaScript for Automations.

For instance, with respect to my #Green4Blue Initiative, I drew this attached Coastal Green City (unrendered version) years back... I afterwards wrote a computer program for its interactive digital map which was also used during the #ICSDE2020 virtual presentation...
I can still recreate such solutions, Deo-Volente. grin
By Jawolusy of NETISM.org wink

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by GerogeI(m): 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2021
How does an Engr find problems to solve? Observe your environment. Solve simple problems first, and graduate to more complex things.

If I was an Engr from a place like Kano,
One problem I have observed is seasonal wastage of tomatoes.

People are already paying for an imported solution in form of can tomato starch mixtures important from China and labelled TIN tomatoes.

Govt. Believes the problem can only be solved by a large factory built by the likes of Dangote.

As an Engr. I would want to design a cottage factory process that can pulverise and dehydrate tomatoes without losing the flavours. And a packaging that will pasteurize and seal the tomatoes in sachets for easy distribution and longshelf life.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by haslaw(m): 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2021
Jammy2012:
grin Use your IT judiciously. If you want to be good at your field, your lecturers are not going to teach you 50% of what you are suppose to learn. Necessary skills are learned outside the four walls of the classroom. I'm a graduate of Applied Geophysics, I started learning electronics on my own since I was eight. Today, I am better than a lot of electrical and electronics engineering students. Make YouTube and Google your friend and be ready to spend money. Good thing doesn't come easy grin grin grin

You are a quark and a very dangerous person.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Jammy2012(m): 3:38pm On Sep 27, 2021
How am I dangerous. Being an electronic hobbyist doesn't mean I am dangerous. I do my homework and go extra miles to do that grin grin grin I have a certificates from Coursera bro... By the way, I have this nanobot I want to test. It stops people from doing dangerous exercise like jumping into conclusions... Talent is not a sin, and doing it better is not a sin. I'm an Electronics hobbyist grin grin grin
haslaw:

You are a quark and a very dangerous person.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by AbuAeesha: 3:41pm On Sep 27, 2021
it depends on what u wish to go for.
1. if u are going for construction =constructive engineering career in Nigeria today is more of the civil engineering part, we rarely construct high value electrical/mechanical components .
2. while for electrical=u can learn electrical service designs from reputable organisations and probably get designing jobs.
my little advice.
i studied electrical engineering too
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Tolu100(m): 3:47pm On Sep 27, 2021
mikemiyaki:
Go learn PLC. I lost a job few years ago in NB because of it. Thank me later.
. I Need your help on this sir..
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by cosmos2000(m): 4:05pm On Sep 27, 2021
Naturallyme:
Basic engineering knowledge most especially Mathematic, physics and chemistry. Mathematics will aid your analytical skills. Physics is the basis of all engineering discipline. This will help in analysing engineering problems, motion, statics, forces, stress, strain, failure modes and analysis

Know about concept of measurement and conversion from metric to imperial
Know about Engineering materials and their compositions - Steel, plastics, ceramics, etc
Know:
One CAD design software - Autocad, revit , etc
One Analysis software - Caecar, abaqus, sacs
One Maintenance planning software - e.g SAP PM
Most MS suit tools - Word, excel, outlook, etc
Know how to write code as well

Nice OT

1 Like

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by mmpharrison: 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2021
If you want guide to Engineering skills, you must tell us you discipline, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil etc, If it is Electrical you can contact me on 08038671070 for an important information on Automation, Don't go and waste your money in those Training Institute, I was once their and highly disappointed. Just contact me to hear the full jist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Kokaine(m): 4:22pm On Sep 27, 2021
If its electrical,
Lab center Proteus with PCB. If you know it even, you can get jobs online on upworks
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Christabeliciou: 4:45pm On Sep 27, 2021
How can one get to register for this NEBOSH and how much is it.
Thanks

Josephkabila12:
Go acquire Occupation health and safety certification. Like NEBOSH
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by swiftsulex(m): 5:31pm On Sep 27, 2021
Cognitivereason:
Hello fellow engineering students, graduate and practitioners..

Out of curiosity I want to know some of the basic and necessary skills every engineering student should work on acquiring in his/her field being it electrical, mechanical or civil..
As an electrical engineering student who is passionate about power...

I have been advised to take up lessons in AutoCAD, Revit and solid works..I have also been told to learn electronics and also try learning automation (PLC) with reputable training centres like AETI ..

I have also heard about PVsyt, ArchiCAD, PDMS ,autodesk inventor etc..how necessary are this and which of the engineers (mech, elect and civil) should show interest in one of this..

what Will u say about this and are there other things necessary to acquire...and also what will you say for the likes of civil and mechanical engineers and students...

In general what are the necessary skill an engineering student should learn outside school to ensure that he/she is employable and to avoid stories that touch..

Lastly can someone recommend good training centres to acquire some of this skills..
I tried researching about AETI for PLC training and it very expensive... I will be glad if any of us can recommend a cheaper alternative for automation PLC

Thanks in anticipation...

Learn Matlab and Python in addition to the skills you've already mentioned. Engineering is rapidly expanding and as such you will need these skills to model and automate processes. Best wishes in your career.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by Cognitivereason: 6:11pm On Sep 27, 2021
Thank u for ur contribution.. Pls how can I communicate with u better ...please I need a much more detailed advice
AbuAeesha:
it depends on what u wish to go for.
1. if u are going for construction =constructive engineering career in Nigeria today is more of the civil engineering part, we rarely construct high value electrical/mechanical components .
2. while for electrical=u can learn electrical service designs from reputable organisations and probably get designing jobs.
my little advice.
i studied electrical engineering too
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by blogbuilder: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2021
GerogeI:
I am going to speak generically a bit, but specifically about Mechanical Engineering.

As an Engr, the hard truth is that what we are learning in schools are not cutting edge nor functional, so do not expect to go to a first world country and bag front edge engineering jobs. The only way that happens is when you re-educate over there and slave for sometime to learn from experience.

Coming over to Nigeria, Remember engineering is all about solving problems of the society. There are many unsolved problems in our Nigerian and African Society, and the funny thing is they are all things that involve already matured Technology.

Why? Because in school we are thought many first principles and physics and complex mathematics, but no body ever taught us how to put these things together to solve actual real world problems. So you have many people who understand energy, heat, thermodynamics, but cannot create a simple oven.

The greatest gift you can give yourself as a Nigeria engineer is to sit yourself down and get a wholesome understanding of Engineering design(Never Read Shigley alone, you only reference it for design process if you want to make headway) putting together all you have learnt. If you can do this, you only need a few years of industry experience to work with codes and standards and you will never need a job.

I will be very specific
For a Mechanical Engr.
There are two Major Areas. 1.Materials and 2.Heat
For Materials.
1. Understand 3D stress
How and why you should resolve it to plan stress
Convenience of Mohrs circle
How come Von Misses stress can give 1 figure stress representation.

Bending and how these stress applies
Torsion and its stresses
Tension and Compression.

How to actually put all these together to create shafts, gears, sprocket, belt drives, screws, etc. This is the primary reason why you studied Mech Engr.

2. Do same for Heat
Understand how to Apply Heat transfer and thermodynamics to create actual applications, not just those engines you cram and vomit.

3. A. Learn to use just 1 CAD software. The rest are all based on the same graphics and matches concept, just the user interface is different.

B. Learn how to program the computer in just 1 language. The rest are all same, only syntax or grammar is different. They all use same ideas of variables, conditional statements, loops, object or data encapsulation. So just learn 1, you can always easily learn another one if required as long as you learnt the first one properly. One good choice would be how to program spreadsheets with vba.

C. Learn how to use spreadsheets like excel to build mathematical models manually. Nobody has time for paper calculations anymore. And no, Excel is not for accountants. You will be surprised how much you can do on a spreadsheet.

Finally look around you, you will find a problem that only someone with your skillset can solve. Choose something that people are already paying heavily for an imported solution. When you solve it locally you can cash out. Create a solution on your computer.
Sell the idea to someone to fund a prototype. Then sell the idea again for commercialization. You do not need to be employed, rather you have the capacity to create things that will employ others and take your share.
Evening sir..
Pls how can I contact you? I need to learn a lot from you
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by VoidLoop: 6:57pm On Sep 27, 2021
As an Electrical, Electronics, Computer or Mechanical Engineering Student, you can learn Embedded Systems so that you can explore and implement trending technology like IoT,AI, Networking e.t.c in real time scenario.

I'm an embedded system engineer. You can check my signature to contact me.
Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by techmatas: 7:05pm On Sep 27, 2021
You can try Advanxis Technologies and process automation. Our trainings are affordable and on the Job based training

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Necessary Skills Every Engineering Student Should Have by trigger11(m): 7:33pm On Sep 27, 2021
everyone is talking about civil mechanical and electrical engr .... please how about we that studied agricultural/environmental engineering what should be our own cheesy someone should please advice

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Hope 4 3rd Classers / Civil Defense Starts Recruitment / My Experience In The Nigerian Job Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.