Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,750 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Validation Statement In Python - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Validation Statement In Python (720 Views)

How To Create Mysql Database/python Tkinter Gui To Change Password/Validation En / Who Wants To Learn Programming In Python Easily Without Stress? READ THIS / URL For Validation During Remita Integration; How To Set It Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Validation Statement In Python by octaflav: 6:39am On Sep 30, 2021
Write a python code or algorithm that validate a student Reg No. It must start with two letters followed by four digits example : CK1234.

An error will be flagged If a user enters an input that is not within the specified conditions.

Kindly help me out with this.
Re: Validation Statement In Python by tempest01(m): 6:44am On Sep 30, 2021
I am still new to python, but i think you would utilize the

input() - to get user input

try.....except....finally / or if else - to validate user input

isalpha() & isdigit() in the try block to validate the alphabet and digit part of the input

Modified - This should give you an idea of the step to take. I have not tested this and don't know if the code used is correct.

Reg = input("Please enter your Reg Number: "wink

if Reg[:1].isalpha() and Reg[2:5].isdigit(): #can also add another condition here to check if the length of input ==5 (and len(Reg) == 5)
print("Reg Number Valid!"wink
else:
print("Not valid, You have to figure a way to loop the process."wink #Can use the while before the if/else to loop

edited again. i think it is cleaner to use while for validation

while not Reg[:1].isalpha() and Reg[2:5].isdigit() and len(Reg) == 5: #can try isnumeric() if isdigit doesn't work
Reg = input("Error: Re-enter correct Reg number: "wink

2 Likes

Re: Validation Statement In Python by octaflav: 12:20pm On Sep 30, 2021
tempest01:
I am still new to python, but i think you would utilize the

input() - to get user input

try.....except....finally / or if else - to validate user input

isalpha() & isdigit() in the try block to validate the alphabet and digit part of the input

Modified - This should give you an idea of the step to take. I have not tested this and don't know if the code used is correct.

if Reg[:1].isalpha() and Reg[2:5].isdigit(): #can also add another condition here to check if the length of input ==5 (and len(Reg) == 5)
print("Reg Number Valid!"wink
else:
print("Not valid, You have to figure a way to loop the process."wink #Can use the while before the if/else to loop

edited again. i think it is cleaner to use while for validation

while not Reg[:1].isalpha() and Reg[2:5].isdigit() and len(Reg) == 5: #can try isnumeric() if isdigit doesn't work
Reg = input("Error: Re-enter correct Reg number: "wink

Thank you for taking out time to respond to this. I'll try the suggested approaches and get back to you.
Re: Validation Statement In Python by bedfordng(m): 11:26am On Oct 01, 2021
octaflav:
Write a python code or algorithm that validate a student Reg No. It must start with two letters followed by four digits example : CK1234.

An error will be flagged If a user enters an input that is not within the specified conditions.

Kindly help me out with this.

This should help

while True:
regn = input('enter reg nunber: ').strip()
print(regn[:2], regn[2:])
if regn[:2].isalpha() and regn[2:].isnumeric() and len(regn) == 6:
print("beta pikin"wink
break
continue
Re: Validation Statement In Python by tempest01(m): 10:38am On Oct 02, 2021
octaflav:

Thank you for taking out time to respond to this. I'll try the suggested approaches and get back to you.

See below. Tested and working.

2 Likes

Re: Validation Statement In Python by octaflav: 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2021
tempest01:

See below. Tested and working.

Good. I have entered the codes as is: here is the attached code and the result and the result I get each time I entered a reg no

Re: Validation Statement In Python by tempest01(m): 10:58pm On Oct 02, 2021
octaflav:

Good. I have entered the codes as is: here is the attached code and the result and the result I get each time I entered a reg no

Check your code. After "while not" should be "Reg" not "Re".

If you read the error message, you should always identify the problem.

Also, maybe it is just my eyes, but the "Reg" under "while not" the space is too much. Should press "tab" once.

1 Like

Re: Validation Statement In Python by Deicide: 11:55pm On Oct 02, 2021
I think using regular expression is well suited for this kind of task

1 Like

Re: Validation Statement In Python by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 03, 2021
Hopefully programming section starts to seem more like stackoverflow. Nice work

1 Like

Re: Validation Statement In Python by Yeyeboi05(m): 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
Nice..
Started my programming journey,August,it’s been easy-going so far but the only issues I’m having at the moment is loops..I guess with time,I’ll master!

1 Like

Re: Validation Statement In Python by octaflav: 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2021
tempest01:

Check your code. After "while not" should be "Reg" not "Re".

If you read the error message, you should always identify the problem.

Also, maybe it is just my eyes, but the "Reg" under "while not" the space is too much. Should press "tab" once.
Wow! It worked! I appreciate your persistence and invaluable contributions. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Learn How To Connect Html Form With Mysql Database For A Fee / Mysql Guru And Php / Related To Html And Java Script?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.