Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,085 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (23782 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by studM(m): 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2012
hello nlers,am new in the programming world,and just wrote a short code using html,but don't know how to run it on my laptop cuz i don't know where 2 locate the browser on my acer laptop,can someone help me out here wit a step by step approach on this?thanks in anticipation
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by brohke(m): 5:18pm On Aug 17, 2012
why don't you go for the simplest of all languages? markup languages like HTML you can begin to understand and appreciate coding from these humble beginings. HTML, XML/UML, JAVASCRIPT, PHP, ASP,
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by brohke(m): 5:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
studM: hello nlers,am new in the programming world,and just wrote a short code using html,but don't know how to run it on my laptop cuz i don't know where 2 locate the browser on my acer laptop,can someone help me out here wit a step by step approach on this?thanks in anticipation
go to file >> preview in browser. since you failed to mention the type of editor you are using, i just assumed it would be dreamweaver. if it's not, then save the file with the .html or .htm extension then go to the location where the file was saved and the open it. it will open with your default browser, or right click and select open with, to open with a browser of your choice
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by xteve(m): 6:02pm On Aug 23, 2012
@ netghost, I åm also interested in all ǂнế mentioned programming tutorials,
I åm also based in lasgidi
Dis is м¥ email address.......vichofu@yahoo.com
Pls inbox ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ ur contact details
I would rilly appreciate a reply.....thanx man
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by eazyd(m): 3:45am On Aug 24, 2012
studM: hello nlers,am new in the programming world,and just wrote a short code using html,but don't know how to run it on my laptop cuz i don't know where 2 locate the browser on my acer laptop,can someone help me out here wit a step by step approach on this?thanks in anticipation

save your code with .html for example (studM.html), locate the file wherever its saved and double click on it.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by studM(m): 10:57am On Aug 31, 2012
brohke:
go to file >> preview in browser. since you failed to mention the type of editor you are using, i just assumed it would be dreamweaver. if it's not, then save the file with the .html or .htm extension then go to the location where the file was saved and the open it. it will open with your default browser, or right click and select open with, to open with a browser of your choice

@brhoke
wish i understood all what u asked me 2 do,can u pls explain all these things u told me in layman's lang,does an editor comes along with a laptop?what i know is that i wrote a very brief source code i learnt from "w3shool.com",and saved it in "my document",how do i move on from there?wish i could have u around to show me how to go abt it,its really a shame on me as a computer graduate,help me out pls
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Ajibel(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2012
studM:

@brhoke
wish i understood all what u asked me 2 do,can u pls explain all these things u told me in layman's lang,does an editor comes along with a laptop?what i know is that i wrote a very brief source code i learnt from "w3shool.com",and saved it in "my document",how do i move on from there?wish i could have u around to show me how to go abt it,its really a shame on me as a computer graduate,help me out pls

okay lemme teach u dis simple method by using notepad

Open a new notepad

start writing out these codes:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>studM</title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>My first web page</h2>
<p>My name is studM</p>
</body>
</html>

click on "file" then "save as"...a box opens.input the name you want in the "File name" eg="student.html"...click on "save as type" and select= "all files"..then click "save"..
Go to the folder location, double click on the saved file which takes the logo of a browser either chrome or IE etc.. and then it appears on ur preferred browser..

i dunno how else seomeone could explain to you to understand..i learnt html too in w3schools..so i belive u need to be thoughtful and follow there procedures carefully
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by godsonesq(m): 6:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
before u can learn programming, u need to learn HTML & CSS first. that is the starting point.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by maninmood(m): 7:59pm On Sep 14, 2012
I think C# is the best in my own opinion as it is more modern,faster, and can work on any machine that has CLR installed.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Philolos: 9:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
okundia ernest: I have a very strong passion for

computer programming, I
would like to get into programming as soon as possible. What are the advice u hav for me? what
languages should I learn first? what initial
paths should I take? what do I need
to watch out for? How can I become
a better programmer? Starting
point? What is the secret i need to know about programming?

Thanks in advance!

In today's environment, make sure you've also mastered a basic understanding of technology in general terms. What do I mean by technology in general terms? As it relates to programming, you have to have a basic understanding of how a PC/Mac (hardware) works, you have to have a good understanding of how a couple of well-known operating systems work, i.e., Windows, Unix/Linux, and obviously the Internet (or web) and Networking (not at the configuring of router/switch level, but the understanding of IP Addressing, DNS, etc). It would also be nice to know how a database-driven software works. With this type of information in mind, you’ll end up a better programmer than without such mastered basics.

Now to answer your specific question, it would appear you don’t currently have a Computer Science degree, which is by no means a barrier. In fact, the best programmers I’ve come across don’t have a degree or come from another background (or have another type of degree). Typically, the colleges/universities pick a language to help demonstrate what is common across languages, structure, syntax, etc. In the early days, institutions used PASCAL and COBOL, nowadays JAVA is very common and so is C# as a first language in schools for students to learning programming. Hope this helps.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Philolos: 6:59pm On Sep 17, 2012
studM: hello nlers,am new in the programming world,and just wrote a short code using html, but don't know how to run it on my laptop cuz i don't know where 2 locate the browser on my acer laptop,can someone help me out here with a step-by-step approach on this? Thanks in anticipation

To launch your browser on a Windows machine, click on the "Start" button on the lower left corner, followed by clicking on "Run". Type <iexplore> (without the angle brackets) to launch Internet Explorer, or type <firefox> (without the quotes to launch Mozilla Firefox.

I don’t know how easy it is to access computer classes from a local school. If that is not available to you, and you have some change and have access to the internet from where you are, there are schools online and youtube videos you can subscribe to from the best schools around the world – this should get you started.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by ONWARDBABA: 7:27am On Oct 02, 2012
lakesidey:

pls i need d videos on java PHP nd c. my email is lakeside2050@yahoo.com. tanx in anticipation
​ need dis too vicdrawar@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by ifyebere(m): 10:11am On Oct 02, 2012
Netgost I've read ur replies to those that want to learn java nd C++, nd I'm intrested aswel, where do u reside in lagos, cos I live in lagos, so I can meet with u? 07035657639 s my num or inbox me ifexin4ril@yahoo.com looking forward to ur response. 310510AF ma BB pin... Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by dapsxy(m): 3:07pm On Oct 24, 2012
Java is the best o, then u can learn C#
Learning java first make other lnguges easy.
It will enble u to program java based app for both android, nokia etc, u can also use C# though.
grin
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 24, 2012
dapsxy: Java is the best o, then u can learn C# Learning java first make other lnguges easy. It will enble u to program java based app for both android, nokia etc, u can also use C# though. grin

Op
Peradventure you decide to learn C#, i have some books on C# to part with -FREE. If you're interested, pls let me know. I reside in Lagos. #don't do programming anymore. :/
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2012
Friend. My question goes thus; Are you familiar with desktop application at all..If NOT know can decide that for you....Know one knows where your strength lies.

Nice having interest in programming...check www.3schools.com PHP tutorials...However are you familiar with any open source software? If not i will advice you to start with an open source software (joomla)which i strongly believe will be a stepping stone for you to be familiar with some levels of codes.
However, you can also pick up a webdesign Video training Cd which explain in full details on how to design a website and which also introduce you to Mysql..that was the way i developed real knowledge in programming.

You can try out our simple webdesign traning cd upload on youtube from the link below.

(a)Uploading of template using joomla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Z--S6TPbo

(b)Email Account & Password resetting using joomla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-SmNY6xF0&feature=relmfu

www.softchaseng.comm
contact@softchaseng.com

Hope this tips will be of great use.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by jeffsmith1: 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
Start from the stretch and the very basic and beginning programming language is html and css.
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by studM(m): 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ajibel:

okay lemme teach u dis simple method by using notepad

Open a new notepad

start writing out these codes:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>studM</title>
</head>
<body>
<h2>My first web page</h2>
<p>My name is studM</p>
</body>
</html>

click on "file" then "save as"...a box opens.input the name you want in the "File name" eg="student.html"...click on "save as type" and select= "all files"..then click "save"..
Go to the folder location, double click on the saved file which takes the logo of a browser either chrome or IE etc.. and then it appears on ur preferred browser..

i dunno how else seomeone could explain to you to understand..i learnt html too in w3schools..so i belive u need to be thoughtful and follow there procedures carefully

thanks a lot pal,i will take my time to follow the procedures,really appreciate ur kind response in ds regard,stay blessed!
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by vichofu(m): 7:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
netghost:

Lasgidi
@netghost, i'm based in Lasg!D!....am also a babi in programming would be very much interested in those tutorials.....send send mi ur contact details.....vichofu@gmail.com..........thanx in anticipation
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by vichofu(m): 7:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
netghost:

Lasgidi
@netghost, i'm based in Lasg!D!....am also a babi in programming would be very much interested in those tutorials.....pls can you send send mi ur contact details.....vichofu@gmail.com..........thanx in anticipation
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by amasdking: 10:18am On Nov 17, 2012
pls serious help concerning programming
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by teratrain: 1:19am On Nov 21, 2012
We are looking for programming instructors,
if you are interested, please send your details to teratraining@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by jakmankind(m): 1:34am On Dec 21, 2015
Pls I need help on Linus + any1 in the house DAT can putpute tru tanks
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by jakmankind(m): 1:35am On Dec 21, 2015
Pls I need help on Linus + any1 in the house DAT can put me tru tanks
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by Chydobe: 9:43am On Jul 10, 2019
As a beginner, it isn’t advisable to learn how to code by paying exorbitant fees learning how to code. There are lots of free online coding websites, materials and books. Obviously, scouting for these free online coding website and books could really be tasking. NOT TO WORRY. WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED.

In this article, (as a beginner) we will show you where to learn how to code (basics of coding), and where to get free online coding materials, coding for beginners’ book and free coding guides for free. Click on link below

https://www.techlearnhow.com/2019/07/10/learn-how-to-code-for-beginners-10-free-coding-websites-for-beginners/
Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by jacascholars: 10:46am On Dec 27, 2020

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? by shreygautam: 10:12am On Oct 05, 2023
Python is a great programming language to start with if you're new to it. It is popular in many fields, including web development, data science, and automation, and is user-friendly for beginners thanks to its easy syntax and readability. Learning Python will give you a strong basis on which to build your programming career. Consider enrolling in Best Python Course at The IoT Academy in your area to get your education started. Your learning of Python will get off to a great start thanks to their knowledgeable instructors and practical teaching methods. Join their Python classes right away to get started on a great programming adventure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Community Project(strictly Java) / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.