Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? (18625 Views)

The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 3:15pm On May 29, 2011
The Agbo people in Cross River State are not well talked about or maybe I wasn't aware of it.

They live at the border with Ebonyi State. They are about 30,000 people and have towns like Igbo Ekureku, Adadama, Itigidi and Igbo Imabana.

Are these people Igbo or are they distinct?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Abagworo(m): 12:14am On May 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

The Agbo people in Cross River State are not well talked about or maybe I wasn't aware of it.

They live at the border with Ebonyi State. They are about 30,000 people and have towns like Igbo Ekureku, Adadama, Itigidi and Igbo Imabana.

They are not Igbos but bear Igbo or Legbo as alternate ethnic name.They are however related to the Igbo groups of Izzi and Ehugbo.Liyel Imoke is from there.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 6:22am On May 30, 2011
Abagworo:

They are not Igbos but bear Igbo or Legbo as alternate ethnic name.They are however related to the Igbo groups of Izzi and Ehugbo.Liyel Imoke is from there.

They are not Igbo but still bear Igbo as an alternate ethnic name. Am I missing something here?

Are they much different from the Izzi and Ehugbo groups?

8 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Abagworo(m): 7:33am On May 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

They are not Igbo but still bear Igbo as an alternate ethnic name. I'm I missing something here?

Are they much different from the Izzi and Ehugbo groups?

They do not speak igbo as a first language
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:47am On May 30, 2011
So the relationship between Agbo and Izii, is much like the relationship between Efik and Arochukwu?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by henry101(m): 8:53pm On May 30, 2011
My inlaw is one of them, I think a river seperates them from Arochukwu,
You also have those from Ebonyi/Cross River border so He told me,

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 1:58am On May 31, 2011
henry101:

My inlaw is one of them, I think a river seperates them from Arochukwu,
You also have those from Ebonyi/Cross River border so He told me,

What does he consider himself as? Igbo or different?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 03, 2011
since when did agbo people distance themselves from the igbo nation? you people have started again, agbo people are igbo they are the same clan with the izzi people of ebonyi, i dont know why nigerians are so stupid and ignorant just because one falls into another state does not mean they are of a different ethnic group , its time we stopped all this madness of fabricating ethnic groups , liyel imoke is (gov of cross rivers) is an igbo man and have never denied itor distanced himself from his ethnic gropu.

Abagworo:

and what does igbo laguage sound like and who determines which dialect is the main igbo and which one is not igbo ? i hope its not that latin you speak in imo or that hindu you speak in onitsha that you consider the main igbo language.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Abagworo(m): 12:12am On Jun 04, 2011
DRlulu:

since when did agbo people distance themselves from the igbo nation? you people have started again, agbo people are igbo they are the same clan with the izzi people of ebonyi,

Legbo is not Igbo.I have never heard that.The Igbo groups related to Izzi is Ezza,Ikwo and Mgbo.
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by AndreUweh(m): 12:57am On Jun 04, 2011
Abagworo:

Legbo is not Igbo.I have never heard that.The Igbo groups related to Izzi is Ezza,Ikwo and Mgbo.
Well said.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 2:13am On Jun 04, 2011
Abagworo:

Legbo people in Ebonyi see themselves as Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by AndreUweh(m): 2:29am On Jun 04, 2011
Obiagu1:

Legbo people in Ebonyi see themselves as Igbo.
Legbo in Ebonyi state?.
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 2:57am On Jun 04, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Legbo in Ebonyi state?.

The source is wiki though.
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Obiagu1(m): 10:00pm On Jul 06, 2011
Abagworo:

Abagworo:

They do not speak igbo as a first language

Where do you get your information from
You seem not to know what you are talking about.

Abagworo on August 20, 2010, 11:34 PM:

as for crossriver, the present governor is an igbo man from legbo.legbo igbo has been granted minority status by nigerian government but speaks ehugbo(afikpo igbo) which to me is actually the most difficult igbo.
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by pleep(m): 5:05am On Jul 08, 2011
Their name is 'legbo' for fvcks sake. . tongue

that's just a variation of the word Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by NegroNtns(m): 6:04am On Jul 08, 2011
Lmao!

Pleep,

How about "Egba" people, what are they?

I think the "E" and "A" were transposed after they emigrated to Yorubaland.

The EGBA people are actually EGBO or IGBO.

Rotflmao!

Foolish land grabbing campaign!

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by pleep(m): 6:12am On Jul 08, 2011
Haha Land grabbing I'm not even Igbo! tongue

Egba is different. These agbo ppl live in cross river right next to regular igbos.
Agbo & Igbo are just 1 letter apart. common man grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by NegroNtns(m): 6:14am On Jul 08, 2011
Tell me, how is Egba different?

Ndigbo don't want Egbaland?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by pleep(m): 6:19am On Jul 08, 2011
^ they probably do! Igbos tried to take over my parents village once grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by NegroNtns(m): 6:44am On Jul 08, 2011
They are desperate for land and people. Their children abandoned home and went in other people land. They marry into other cultures. So you see why they are trying to claim other people.

Sometimes I sit back and watch their activities online and observe what they do and feel very sorry and sad for them.

I can imagine if Yoruba children abandon home and distance from their roots, what that will make oneks heart and spirit heavy with grief.

I believe the Federal govt should come up with some programme to help them heal. In fact all of us Nigerians should help them heal. There's still pain fromm the past that they have not gotten over. Lifelong pains! However, while you are attempting to establish goodwill with them they respond back with defiance and bruteness asserting Biafran supremacy.

I can't understyand it but I guess that's the diagnosis of their psychological pain - that they have lost sense of reality and ythey are still stuck in 66.

Its a pity, makes me very sad sometimes untill I encounter people like Ezeuche and he makes me want to brand him on his snout.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 08, 2015
Abi is a Local Government Area in Cross River State, Nigeria. It contains several Igbo villages and is home to an annual cultural festival.

People from Abi include Come from mainly Ethnicities such as the Agbo subgroup of Igboland.[1] One of the largest tribes within Abi Local Government is Bahumono, which includes seven villages: Ediba, Anong, Usumutong, Afafanyi, Igonigoni, Ebom, and Ebiriba. There are linguistic differences among the Bahumono people with the major variant being the Ohumono language. They are all historically known to have migrated from a place within the hills of Ruhura (ekpon a ruhura) called Hotumusa (old town) which lies in a region between the present day Ediba and Usumutong villages. The Ediba people at Hotumusa had hunters who found a riverine location where Ediba situates presently. The hunters related the news to her people and Ogbudene led the people in a siege against the locals of the river dwelling and drove them across the river. Four of Five of the Ediba families (Henugwehuma, Henusokwe, Enihom and Henuowom) quickly left and colonised the river area. The Ezono clan (made up of Bazorang, Batonene and Fonahini), the last family, decided to stay back at Hotumusa, where they had always been the head land owners and leading family among the other five. This small clan has had its own dynastic legacy, festivals, deities and new yam celebrations to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abi,_Nigeria
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by Nwake12: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2015
Your post gave a good history of the Ediba people but offer little insight to the subject-Agbo oe Legbo people. No doubt both are within Abi LGA but certainly diferrent people. I believe the Legbo people are part and parcel of the Igbo nation. This has nothing to do with land grabbing or people seeking, its just pure history/culture. The proximity of the Ekureku people to Igboland, the cultural identity, the dialetical similarities, customs, believes and abakiliki rice farming methodologies are just a few facts about this truth. The communities may be at variance over land disputes et al but that has little to do with their ethnic nationalities. The positioning of Ekureku people in Cross River State does not in any way make them less Igbo. Just like the Asaba people cannot say they aren't Igbos or the Kabas saying they are not Yorubas. We must understand that boundaries does not cut-off nationalities most times. The hausa-fulanis are spread over West Africa just like the Kurds are spread over Iraq, Syria, Iran and Turkey. Boundary adjustments are mainly created for political and administrative reasons most times not taking, or(deliberating not taking) ethnicity into cosideration. So Agbo or Legbo or Ekureku people if you like, are part of the larger Igbo nations their locational situate in Cross State notwithstanding. I hope am able to throw a little insight into this debate...

6 Likes

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by ROYALD(m): 11:11pm On Nov 19, 2015
NegroNtns:
Lmao!

Pleep,

How about "Egba" people, what are they?

I think the "E" and "A" were transposed after they emigrated to Yorubaland.

The EGBA people are actually EGBO or IGBO.

Rotflmao!

Foolish land grabbing campaign!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke

Liyel (born 10 July 1961) was elected governor of Cross River State in Nigeria in April 2007, taking office on 29 May 2007. He is a member of the People's Democratic Party (PDP).[1]

Contents

1 Background
2 Early political career
3 Minister of Power and Steel
4 Governor of Cross River State
5 References

Background

Liyel Imoke is an Igbo from Agbo Clan in Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State.[2] His father, Dr. Samuel Imoke was a medical doctor who became a cabinet minister and leader of Parliament in the former Eastern Region. Liyel Imoke was born on 10 July 1961 at Ibadan in the then Western Region of Nigeria.[1]

Liyel Imoke attended Mary Knoll College, Okuku, Ogoja and then the Federal Government College, Enugu (1973–1977) for his secondary education. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations and Economics at the University of Maryland in the United States in 1982.

He then studied Law at the University of Buckingham, England, gaining an LLB degree in 1985, and then studied at the American University in Washington, D.C. where he gained a Master degree in Law. He completed his legal education at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos, in 1988.[1]

Liyel Imoke practiced law in Washington, D. C. and Lagos between 1982 and 1992. He was principal partner of Liyel Imoke and Co., Lagos.[3]

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by ROYALD(m): 11:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Obiagu1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke

Liyel (born 10 July 1961) was elected governor of Cross River State in Nigeria in April 2007, taking office on 29 May 2007. He is a member of the People's Democratic Party (PDP).[1]

Contents

1 Background
2 Early political career
3 Minister of Power and Steel
4 Governor of Cross River State
5 References

Background

Liyel Imoke is an Igbo from Agbo Clan in Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State.[2] His father, Dr. Samuel Imoke was a medical doctor who became a cabinet minister and leader of Parliament in the former Eastern Region. Liyel Imoke was born on 10 July 1961 at Ibadan in the then Western Region of Nigeria.[1]

Liyel Imoke attended Mary Knoll College, Okuku, Ogoja and then the Federal Government College, Enugu (1973–1977) for his secondary education. He obtained a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations and Economics at the University of Maryland in the United States in 1982.

He then studied Law at the University of Buckingham, England, gaining an LLB degree in 1985, and then studied at the American University in Washington, D.C. where he gained a Master degree in Law. He completed his legal education at the Nigerian Law School, Lagos, in 1988.[1]

Liyel Imoke practiced law in Washington, D. C. and Lagos between 1982 and 1992. He was principal partner of Liyel Imoke and Co., Lagos.[3]
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by ezeagu(m): 10:42pm On Nov 21, 2015
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by NJEMOUS16(m): 8:41am On Jan 03, 2016
AGBO IS THE LAND LEGBO IS THEIR LANGUAGE, THE IKWO PEOPLE OF EBONYI ARE DIFFERENT FROM US.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by NJEMOUS16(m): 10:03am On May 24, 2016
AGBO comprises of some council world in Abi and some speak legbo as their language, but ekureku is the main legbo language. found in Abi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by asoreval: 10:24pm On Sep 25, 2016
Agbo communities in Cross River State.
Agbo communities are made of four major autonomous communities, Ekureku, Itigidi, Adadama and Igbo Imabana. All of these communities are independently located at distance areas within ABI local government area. The four communities share common custom and traditions, The language of this people is LEGBO language which is heard across board but slight differences.there may be some similarities with ibos culture thus to close boundaries along the divide of Ebonyi state but there no historical relationship as per migration.
Legbo language is well known in Cross River State and widely spoken in Cross River central senatorial district, prominent Cross Riverians are indigene of Agbo communities, e.g. former Governor Liyel Imoke, former finance minister eastern region Dr.Samuel Imoke, former chief of staff to Cross River State government Dr Egbonna Alex, the current Speaker Cross River house of assembly, Hon. John Gaul Lebo and many more I can't remember to mention.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by drnoel: 10:34am On Oct 24, 2016
Educative
Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by selfmadeboss: 10:22pm On Mar 20, 2017
yes, they have igbo in their name but the pronunciation is different.
the igbos from the east is pronounced IBO while the igbo u see used by the abi people is pronounced igbo, the IG is pronounced the same wage u pronounced IG in ignore.
its hard to explain but its different.
u can use niger state in nigeria or niger- delta and compare it with NIGER as a country. the pronunciation is very different

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Agbo (Legbo) People Of Cross River State? by ezeagu(m): 4:42am On Mar 21, 2017
selfmadeboss:
yes, they have igbo in their name but the pronunciation is different.
the igbos from the east is pronounced IBO while the igbo u see used by the abi people is pronounced igbo, the IG is pronounced the same wage u pronounced IG in ignore.
its hard to explain but its different.
u can use niger state in nigeria or niger- delta and compare it with NIGER as a country. the pronunciation is very different

Igbo (people) is pronounced I-gb-o, although I do not believe Igbo among the Legbo has anything to do with Igbo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Videos And Pictures From Igbo Cultural Festivals. / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / Emir Sanusi Wants To Stop Poor Men From Marrying More Than One Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.