Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies (709 Views)

EFCC Arrests 22 Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Delta State / EFCC Nabs 10 Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Abuja (Photos) / EFCC Arrests 4 Internet Fraudsters In Benin(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Wyntah: 8:15am On Oct 04, 2021
Hi everyone! I narrowly escaped being defrauded of all my savings yesterday. I am still in shock and I want to use this medium to enlighten everyone so that you don't fall prey to these evil people. My Netflix subscription expired on Sunday and I got the reminder message as is the case with all paid apps. I decided to make the payment immediately using the payment platform on the Netflix app. After making the payment, I dropped the phone on the table and went about my regular chores only to hear my husband call out to me some minutes later asking me what I paid for. I told him it's only Netflix o! His response stopped me in my tracks. "Only Netflix and your account is being charged repeatedly? Na wa, sweetheart what did you press? I rushed in, took the phone and imagine what greeted my eyes. $24 charge to your account, $19,$20,$13 charged to you account from wish.com. I started dancing around with my hands on my head. " Eeye, this country have finished me o! Scammers have finished me o!" I knew that it was a matter of minutes before all my money disappeared into thin air. Luckily for me, my darling husband is a tech savvy guy. Immediately, my husband sprung into action. He sent a mail to the gtbank support email address for reporting fraud but Gmail responded that the email was not functional and could not receive mails. He then logged on to my bank account online and tried to use the hot list option but even that did not work. With the shitty network delaying our every move we decided to transfer what was left in that account to another bank account. Since I was expecting money to be payed into my account, we decided to look for options that could block the card completely since hot list was not working. Finally we used the card protect option to block the card and prevent it from being used for more transactions both international and local. I was calm for a few seconds before I began to mourn my #39000 that had just vanished. I was close to tears since I had already planned what I wanted to use the money for. My husband told me to relax that he will get the money back and he set to work. He browsed the web to find out about wish.com if it was a valid non fraudulent site and to God-be-the-glory it was a very legit site. He chatted with their customer care representative and gave details of the transaction debit that was sent to my mail. They said that they will get back to us in 2-3 days but as I write this message, that money is sitting jejely in my second account because as they refunded my money, I did not waste time to do internet bank transfer sharpish before I hear another story that will give me heart attack.

The question now is, how was it possible for scammers to get access to my bank details on my Netflix account. From the information we could get from wish.com, the scammer ordered for clothes, shoes and bags to be sent to Uyo. I bought a new phone from Techno office in Uyo last month and there were apps already installed in my new phone just as is done in all new phones. This Netflix app and my YouTube music app have been installed with phinshing softwares which will get your details once you use it for transactions. I was lucky to have someone who could identify the problem, trace the money and locate the source but others may not be that lucky so please be aware of the guises of these FRAUDSTERS. When you buy a new phone, do factory reset or uninstall the apps that are there especially the ones that collect payment information. Protect yourself because boys are not smiling at all and they have infiltrated everywhere.

Wish.com have confirmed that that person's transactions on their platform have been blocked. If I have the time today, I will head to the Techno office to complain.
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Lawlab249: 8:24am On Oct 04, 2021
Ok
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Boogyman557: 9:36am On Oct 04, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool LUCKY U. SAME REASON I DNT USE BANK. I DNT HVE ATM CARD. I DNT HVE A GF. D WORLD AINT SAFE. I REPEAT D WORLD AINT SAFE. ALL I DO IS HIGH ON MY KUSH 24sc.. WTF MAN
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by bmdmix11: 10:09am On Oct 04, 2021
nah wow even people working legit will b doing side yahoo instead of side legit hustle

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by superCleanworks(m): 11:01am On Oct 04, 2021
the scam and fraud cloud is getting darker and darker.

i wonder what it would be like 10 years from now
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Ekejoestar(m): 11:41am On Oct 04, 2021
Honestly that's why am afraid of all these Tecno phones, imagine the Gionee s11+ dat am using will just automatically install app and even start the app on its own without my authorization, the time I will start making use of all these Netflix subscription is maybe when I upgrade to iPhone or Samsung.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Dialpad: 12:13pm On Oct 04, 2021
H
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Wyntah: 8:11pm On Oct 04, 2021
Boogyman557:
That's the world that we have come to see o.
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by SLYTECHORG(m): 8:48am On Oct 05, 2021
For all online transactions, it is advisable to get a virtual dollar card which you only fund and transact with when the need arises.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Aganju849: 9:39am On Oct 05, 2021
Wyntah:
Hi everyone! I narrowly escaped being defrauded of all my savings yesterday. I am still in shock and I want to use this medium to enlighten everyone so that you don't fall prey to these evil people. My Netflix subscription expired on Sunday and I got the reminder message as is the case with all paid apps. I decided to make the payment immediately using the payment platform on the Netflix app. After making the payment, I dropped the phone on the table and went about my regular chores only to hear my husband call out to me some minutes later asking me what I paid for. I told him it's only Netflix o! His response stopped me in my tracks. "Only Netflix and your account is being charged repeatedly? Na wa, sweetheart what did you press? I rushed in, took the phone and imagine what greeted my eyes. $24 charge to your account, $19,$20,$13 charged to you account from wish.com. I started dancing around with my hands on my head. " Eeye, this country have finished me o! Scammers have finished me o!" I knew that it was a matter of minutes before all my money disappeared into thin air. Luckily for me, my darling husband is a tech savvy guy. Immediately, my husband sprung into action. He sent a mail to the gtbank support email address for reporting fraud but Gmail responded that the email was not functional and could not receive mails. He then logged on to my bank account online and tried to use the hot list option but even that did not work. With the shitty network delaying our every move we decided to transfer what was left in that account to another bank account. Since I was expecting money to be payed into my account, we decided to look for options that could block the card completely since hot list was not working. Finally we used the card protect option to block the card and prevent it from being used for more transactions both international and local. I was calm for a few seconds before I began to mourn my #39000 that had just vanished. I was close to tears since I had already planned what I wanted to use the money for. My husband told me to relax that he will get the money back and he set to work. He browsed the web to find out about wish.com if it was a valid non fraudulent site and to God-be-the-glory it was a very legit site. He chatted with their customer care representative and gave details of the transaction debit that was sent to my mail. They said that they will get back to us in 2-3 days but as I write this message, that money is sitting jejely in my second account because as they refunded my money, I did not waste time to do internet bank transfer sharpish before I hear another story that will give me heart attack.

The question now is, how was it possible for scammers to get access to my bank details on my Netflix account. From the information we could get from wish.com, the scammer ordered for clothes, shoes and bags to be sent to Uyo. I bought a new phone from Techno office in Uyo last month and there were apps already installed in my new phone just as is done in all new phones. This Netflix app and my YouTube music app have been installed with phinshing softwares which will get your details once you use it for transactions. I was lucky to have someone who could identify the problem, trace the money and locate the source but others may not be that lucky so please be aware of the guises of these FRAUDSTERS. When you buy a new phone, do factory reset or uninstall the apps that are there especially the ones that collect payment information. Protect yourself because boys are not smiling at all and they have infiltrated everywhere.

Wish.com have confirmed that that person's transactions on their platform have been blocked. If I have the time today, I will head to the Techno office to complain.

Are you sure the leak is not from your payment switch, because if it's your switch (man-in-the-machine exploit) it's definitely gonna happen again

How did you identify malware inside the netflix & youtube apps?
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Wyntah: 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2021
[quote author=Aganju849 post=106463295

How did you identify malware inside the netflix & youtube apps?[/quote]. It's the timing of the debits. The debits happened minutes after I typed in my credit information and I have tried to download valid apps from Google play store but the phone keeps blocking it.
Re: Beware Of Fraudsters In Big Mobile Phone Companies by Wyntah: 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2021
I think other people are experiencing this but they don't know where the source of the problem is. Check this post [Re: Please Help!!! My Access Bank Just Got Debited, What Should I Do?]

(1) (Reply)

Lady Confronts A Man For Sexually Harassing Her In A Bus | VIDEO / No Matter What You Preach We Go Still Dey Pop – Yahoo Boys Reply Pastor David Ib / Lagos Landlord Burnt Down A Pharmacy Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.