Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States (7906 Views)

Northwest Demands Lion Share Of Revenue Allocation To States, LGAs / Lagos State Insists On Special Revenue Allocation / 5 States That Received The Highest Revenue Allocation In H1 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by adesegun121(m): 5:21am On Oct 05, 2021
Ok
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by sulaak(m): 5:43am On Oct 05, 2021
Chucks234:
I disagree with Mr Sanwo. He is asking for more allocations to states when they indirectly receive 47% (LG allocation). Also on the influx of people into lagos and the need for FG support which is laughable considering the amount of FG infrastructure in the state (the highest FG presence of any state in Nigeria). A simple breakdown of these infrastructure will help
1. The functional seaports is situated in Lagos built by revenue from other states (eg Groundnut, Cocoa and Crude).
2. The International & Local airport built with revenue from other states.
3. Major highways highways & bridges owned by FG and built with revenue from other states.
4. Unilag, Yabatech, LUTH, FTC & other FG parastatals built by revenue from other states.
5. Railway also built by revenue from other states just to mention a few.
5. Dangote refinery (technically been built by FG because CBN is a major financier of the project) I forsee an FG takeover in the future if he fails to pay his debts.

So LASG should show us what thay have used the allocations since capital was moved to Abuja in 1993 to do. In 22yrs how many new infrastructure has been built in Lagos by successive governors? They scream we have the highest IGR but forget to acknowledge that this IGR is driven by FG infrastructure in the state which other states do not have the luxury of getting.

Imagine a scenario where imports into the country is evenly distributed amongst the sea ports in the country, with same amount of FG infrastructure in all states we won't be hearing this nonsense from Mr governor.

There are not enough ghettos to hold all Nigerians, sooner or later the influx has to end.
There are more government institutions in Kaduna State than Lagos State.
Apapa Port was in Nigeria before Nigeria ever existed
Major highways exist in all states.

In 22 years, Lagos has expanded to Include metropolis like Lekki, Agege, Oworoshoki, Housing Estate like Iponri, Light rails, Lekki deep seaport

The Federal government only developed VI, Ikoyi and some parts of Lagos Island

4 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Chukazu: 5:46am On Oct 05, 2021
Very confused human.
You want to control VAT collection and you still want 40% revenue?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by BrainSanitizer: 5:48am On Oct 05, 2021
Why is Sanwo-Olu the only APC governor that has refused to arse lick Bubu.
Is there something I am missing?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by orisa37: 6:01am On Oct 05, 2021
EVEN IF IT IS 100% APPROVED FOR STATES, IT IS THE CRITERIA OF APPORTIONMENT AFTER THAT IS FRAUGHT WITH UNFAIRNESS, FAVOURITISM AND CORRUPTION.

SO REVERSE REVENUE SYSTEM. LET STATES COLLECT THEIR REVENUE 100% AND CONTRIBUTE UNIFORMLY TO RUNNING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THEIR CHOICE. WE CALL THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE DEMOCRACY.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by drlateef: 6:41am On Oct 05, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:
I support this. Am a Yoruba from a state that has no crude oil but this would ensure our governors with little natural resources think outside the box and innovate. Plus it's totally unfair for states like bayelsa, rivers and other oil producing states to have their resources enrich other regions at their own expense. Some of these people's lands have been destroyed as a result of crude oil activities in the region yet they get peanuts.... left to me all states should keep 80% of what they generate.

I don’t agree that the States like Bayelsa, Rivers and all Niger Delta are suffering due to federal govt neglect. I believe their politicians are corrupt and they stole the wealth of their people. The NDDC was created to ensure development of the Niger Delta. Their own people were placed to manage the huge funds but they stole everything. They are the cause of their own underdevelopment. And their people will blame Buhari for that, instead of demanding accountability from their own leaders.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by ba7man(m): 6:50am On Oct 05, 2021
easyfem:
42+23 = 65

It's not enough sir let kuku make it 50+30 = 80

This will make everybody seat tight

Northerner don too enjoy our resources
Over 30 states are parasites, not only the northern ones.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Echoban: 6:51am On Oct 05, 2021
Chucks234:
I disagree with Mr Sanwo. He is asking for more allocations to states when they indirectly receive 47% (LG allocation). Also on the influx of people into lagos and the need for FG support which is laughable considering the amount of FG infrastructure in the state (the highest FG presence of any state in Nigeria). A simple breakdown of these infrastructure will help
1. The functional seaports is situated in Lagos built by revenue from other states (eg Groundnut, Cocoa and Crude).
3. Major highways & bridges owned by FG and built with revenue from other states.
4. Unilag, Yabatech, LUTH, FTC & other FG parastatals built by revenue from other states.
5. Dangote refinery (technically been built by FG because CBN is a major financier of the project) I forsee an FG takeover in the future if he fails to pay his debts.

So LASG should show us what thay have used the allocations since capital was moved to Abuja in 1993 to do. In 22yrs how many new infrastructure has been built in Lagos by successive governors? They scream we have the highest IGR but forget to acknowledge that this IGR is driven by FG infrastructure in the state which other states do not have the luxury of getting.

Imagine a scenario where imports into the country is evenly distributed amongst the sea ports in the country, with same amount of FG infrastructure in all states we won't be hearing this nonsense from Mr governor.

Stop being silly, all this u mentioned are also in other state..

I even taught u have a genuine fact .
Federal road, Port(beside the port was there built by old western govt with cocoa from co SW) , Federal School and many others u listed up there.

Mention one that is not in Rivers state,

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by mamaafrik(m): 6:54am On Oct 05, 2021
Southern states should revamp the agric sector,we need to start massive livestock Rearing by the native to beat Fulanis ay their game and send them back to funta jallon.
Lagos should lead the south in doing this.
Rear cattle in ogun and oyo since there have the land,process it and truck it down to lagos where the market is.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Lovenorth: 7:06am On Oct 05, 2021
What is wrong with this Tinubu errant boy?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by nograv: 7:16am On Oct 05, 2021
SmartPolician:

1. Total resource and revenue control by the states
2. State police
3. States paying taxes to the federal government for maintaining the military and a few relevant MDAs.
4. Federal government not having any business with infrastructure
5. Federal government not having any business with power generation, transmission and distribution
6. I can go on and on.

The North would collapse the day after lol..

Restructuring will never happen with them at the helm..

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by stawarts(m): 7:26am On Oct 05, 2021
SmartPolician:
This one is confused.
Yesterday, he was crying of restructuring.
Today, he's asking for 42%.
How then will the north take the south seriously? undecided
It depends on your definition of restructuring....this is also part of restructuring we are talking about in the south west... Sharing formula must be restructured. It is a step in the right direction. Wisdom is profitable to direct, much can be achieved through wisdom.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by TheSupleemLeada(m): 7:36am On Oct 05, 2021
drlateef:

I don’t agree that the States like Bayelsa, Rivers and all Niger Delta are suffering due to federal govt neglect. I believe their politicians are corrupt and they stole the wealth of their people. The NDDC was created to ensure development of the Niger Delta. Their own people were placed to manage the huge funds but they stole everything. They are the cause of their own underdevelopment. And their people will blame Buhari for that, instead of demanding accountability from their own leaders.

States like rivers and akwa ibom are doing very well with the resources they have and corruption will always exist but that's not an excuse to stop people from controlling their resources.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by drlateef: 7:45am On Oct 05, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

States like rivers and akwa ibom are doing very well with the resources they have and corruption will always exist but that's not an excuse to stop people from controlling their resources.

The people do not demand accountability from their local leaders, that’s my point. What they have been given is enough to develop Niger Delta. By asking for more control you must show what you have done with resources given to you. I agree that resource control is important but we must demand accountability with what we are given first.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Chucks234: 7:50am On Oct 05, 2021
aremuforlife:

You are wrong, lagos received below average of whag they generate, don't forget that Calaba was on è the federal capital of Nigeria, and Abuja is the present capital of Nigeria. Lagos state has proof her what and she deserves special status.
Lagos state is the number 4th richest city in Africa, how do you think they get to that position.
Moreover, the federal capital wasn't the entire present Lagos, bug a fraction of what we presently have.

Kindly state what is wrong in my statements? Now let me tell you why you are absolutely wrong.
1. Calabar was Nigeria's capital - In what year? I'm sure crude wasn't discovered
2. Abuja is not a state so say something else.
3. Lagos deserves proof of special status - give me reasons why.

4th richest state in Africa driven primarily by it been the former Federal Capital which ordinarily drives, investment to it. If lagos was so self sufficient why the clamour for more allocation and special status?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by TheSupleemLeada(m): 7:50am On Oct 05, 2021
drlateef:

The people do not demand accountability from their local leaders, that’s my point. What they have been given is enough to develop Niger Delta. By asking for more control you must show what you have done with resources given to you. I agree that resource control is important but we must demand accountability with what we are given first.

Accountability is important in all regions from north to south but that's not an excuse to deny people what is rightfully their resources.... going by your logic the British shouldn't have given us Independence since we couldn't manage what was ours very well.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Xano(m): 8:07am On Oct 05, 2021
EcoBrick:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/sanwo-olu-advocates-42-revenue-allocation-to-states/amp/

Sir, 1% of the revenue allocation goes to who? Tinubu?
Sir, we would like to know.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Tzar(m): 8:21am On Oct 05, 2021
Over the dead body of GMB will this happen. Unless you say Northern states will get 40% & Southern states will share the remaining 2%.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by angelfallz(m): 8:23am On Oct 05, 2021
What Lagos state should be advocating for is fiscal federalism
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by drlateef: 8:42am On Oct 05, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

Accountability is important in all regions from north to south but that's not an excuse to deny people what is rightfully their resources.... going by your logic the British shouldn't have given us Independence since we couldn't manage what was ours very well.

Look my friend, it’s like putting the cart before the horse. No matter the amount of resources you have, if there is no accountability and transparency you are wasting your time. It will not be useful.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Housing(m): 8:42am On Oct 05, 2021
Chucks234:
3. Major highways & bridges owned by FG and built with revenue from other states.

Apapa Port have been in existence since 1913, dredging of deep sea and it's standardization was done before 1930. It was Tincan port that was established in 1976 hurriedly constructed to mitigate armada cement crisis of 1975. So Tincan was not constructed from any groundnuts funds. Era of groundnuts, cocoa and palm oil funds ends with regional government in late 60s.

Lagos to Ibadan railway has been in operation since 1896, extended to Minna in 1911 and reached its northeastern terminus of Nguru in 1930.

Lagos Airport Ikeja, was built during the world war Ii, as the main base for West African Air Service. It has been an international airport before Nigeria's independent. Not constructed with funds from groundnuts whatever.

University of Lagos was established in 1962 after UI, UNN, OAU and ABU. By regional governments except UI that was established by the Colonial (British) same as Yabatech simply because of access to sea.

Other States have universities and University teaching hospitals constructed by the Federal Government.

Lagos access to the sea is played a big role in it's development, it's was blessed with good terrain immediately after the sea unlike areas of the country that have access to the sea.

[/b] If other States and generating funds from the derivative and brags as source of revenue to the Nigerian government. Lagos thus has same derivative rights albeit denied and bigger bragging rights for it's success and it's industrialization.[b]

Ports in other parts of the Country were first discovered and used by the Colonial Masters mostly during the slave trade. Once Lagos port was discovered all others were relegated by the Colonial for better security, better accessibility, good terrain immediately after the sea and availability of solid land for construction of industries.

As for the development in the last 22years, you will appreciate and be able to appraise that if only you know how Ajah and Lekki looks like before 1999.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by Danjikanbauchi: 9:00am On Oct 05, 2021
We are talking about total control of vat by state, whaaat ! Never trust a Yoruba man he will disappoint you along the line.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by sakanifemi123(m): 9:06am On Oct 05, 2021
If that will improve standards living of people, I think decisions is good for the state to legalise it.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by nogragra: 9:15am On Oct 05, 2021
EcoBrick:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/sanwo-olu-advocates-42-revenue-allocation-to-states/amp/
This is why I say sanwo Olu is not very smart as yoruba people are led to believe. When you say no vat remission it means no vat remission period. Whoever ox is gord does not concern us. This vat saga has really proved beyond reasonable doubt that the North is the most worthless conjoinment in the Nigerian equation both interms of natural and human resources. Vat that belong to the southwest stays in the southwest period no dilly dallying over much ado, to satisfy anybody or worthless section of the country.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States by idahme(m): 12:51pm On Oct 05, 2021
There should be nothing like allocation, resources should move upwards not downwards. This system is not sustainable, it breeds laziness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Meets Progressive Governors’ Forum And Speakers Of APC States / Bayelsa 2023 Governorship Election Live Monitoring, Updates, And Results / Who Was Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu's Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.