Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) (697 Views)

Peter Obi Reacts To Pandora Papers Scandal / Pandora Papers: Inside Peter Obi’s Secret Businesses — And How He Broke The Law / Pandora Papers: Global Investigation Exposes Secrets Of Some Of Nigeria’s Elite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 8:42am On Oct 05, 2021
I think Pandora Papers is a commendable effort of Journalists community. But I think the whole issue is being blown out of proportion.

In my limited understanding, this sort of investigation is required to keep a strict vigil on those who otherwise assume that their acts, in spite of being in flagrant violation of law, would go unnoticed. This is no one's case that every person named in the list has illegally stashed monies abroad and evaded tax in Nigeria. Law will follow its course and upon careful perusal of the evidence available, those who are proven to have violated law of the land, will be dealt with accordingly.Until then......

It is totally permissible to have overseas investments, including in the nature of holding shares in an overseas company, or being a director in overseas companies, but the same has to be with in the four corners of the law governing such investments. For instance, the overseas direct investment policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Similarly, it is totally legal to plan one's investment in a way so that minimum tax liability is attracted.This is called tax planning and has to be completely differentiated from tax evasion which is avoiding to pay taxes against the tax liability which has accrued on the tax payer.

I think that, as usual, the media is whipping up a villagers-with-pitchforks type of hysteria, whilst not in full possession of the facts or any understanding of company law.

There is nothing intrinsically illegal about setting up companies offshore. And there's nothing intrinsically illegal about trying to limit one's tax liability.

That's not to say that people don't do this stuff to hide assets or launder money. But you can't just assume that everyone named in the papers is a criminal just because you don't like or understand what they have done.

Now, people may not like a law that allows rich people to get richer and pay less tax. I'm not a fan of it myself, but there shouldn't be a witch hunt against them, we should all calm the hell down and think about whether the legislative framework in this area should be altered.

At this juncture, what is required at our end is to refrain from forming opinion about the individuals named in the list, And viewing these issues from a tribalistic lens and to carefully keep an eye on these investigations, and keep ourselves updated.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 8:53am On Oct 05, 2021
From what I have read so far all of the transactions, although embarrassing, are legal. I suspect that people will continue to scrutinize the records to see if there might be a ground for criminal prosecution.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by RevolverOcelot(m): 9:19am On Oct 05, 2021
There where rumours that the social media outage yesterday was linked to the Pandora papers.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 10:30am On Oct 05, 2021
shocked
RevolverOcelot:
There where rumours that the social media outage yesterday was linked to the Pandora papers.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by Perfectbeing(m): 11:11am On Oct 05, 2021
There's no too much problem when a private individual is cut in this kind of dirt.. Same cannot be said of public office holders.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2021
For recap, the claims against him are as follows:
(1) He did not resign on time.
If the letter was submitted by him on time, and the filing was delayed by the firm. Who do you hold responsible?
(2) He did not report assets he, or his children, owned.
But according to property law, do you own that which you only partly have a claim to?
(3) He operated/maintained a foreign account while being Governor.
Can any national-level politician holding public office currently claim not to be doing so? CCB knows this, so it ignores enforcement.
Perfectbeing:
There's no too much problem when a private individual is cut in this kind of dirt.. Same cannot be said of public office holders.
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 9:51pm On Oct 05, 2021
We have to keep asking questions
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2021
Peter Obi is a fraud, not fit to be governor, I wonder what akpu and ogbono he used to scam Ndi anambra
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by Perfectbeing(m): 10:37pm On Oct 05, 2021
pavoda:
For recap, the claims against him are as follows:
(1) He did not resign on time.
If the letter was submitted by him on time, and the filing was delayed by the firm. Who do you hold responsible?
(2) He did not report assets he, or his children, owned.
But according to property law, do you own that which you only partly have a claim to?
(3) He operated/maintained a foreign account while being Governor.
Can any national-level politician holding public office currently claim not to be doing so? CCB knows this, so it ignores enforcement.
would you say all these if Tinubu was the case study?
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by tobechi20(m): 12:51am On Oct 06, 2021
Attempt to discredit Peter obi before next election
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by pavoda: 1:27am On Oct 06, 2021
Yes! Tinubu tho has a criminal history linked to drugs. But with regards to his CCT trial I didn’t see any issues before the Tran begun
Perfectbeing:
would you say all these if Tinubu was the case study?
Re: What Is Your Honest Opinion Of The Pandora Papers (leaks) by klonboi: 1:37am On Oct 06, 2021
PANDO LEAK! when things like this come up, know that there is a huge scam going on somewhere in the government so they are trying to shift our attention

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of Winners From PDP Elective National Convention In Abuja / DJ Switch Has Been Vindicated / Man Holds Umbrella For PDP Chapter Chairman In Cross River State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.