Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? (863 Views)

Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks / Buhari Welcomes Steps Taken By Jonathan On South Africa’s Xenophobic Attacks / Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by doyin13(m): 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2007
Before continuing, some clarifications.

By Africa, I basically mean Black Africa, so the quasi middle east North Africa is excluded.

Now to the topic.

Since we all know the historically condescending paternalistic attitude which white have towards us Africans, I have felt I have an interest in South Africa being a political and economic success.

But recently I have been worried.

That Zuma could become President is worrying.

The crime is way above Naija proportions

they are having problems with electricity and power as well.

While Apartheid South Africa was flawed for obvious reasons. I just so hope that the present black administration dont Bleep up.

It would make arguing that we are capable human beings to thiese Nazis very difficult.

What do you lot(i am keen to hear from Thabo) think?
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by folem: 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2007
North Africa is part of Africa and cannot be excluded from Africa.

Your so-called "Black Africa" consists of South Africa which has the largest concentration of White Africans in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Your claim that crime in South Africa is "way above Naija proportions" is disputable just because you don't have access to crime records in Nigeria.

I don't think 1 country "success" can overshadow relative failure in majority of countries.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by denex: 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2007
I don't know why Africans choose to create borders of division. WE ARE ALL AFRICANS!
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by doyin13(m): 6:56pm On Jul 23, 2007
Well since they can choose to be part of the Arab League, then I suggest we form our own subsaharan union.

Pertaining to crime, I guess it is all about perceptions. Reading books and from individual reports, the people sound petrified.

On whether the prosperity of one country cannot cover the relative poverty of another, tell that to the racist parties in the white world, they regard all subsaharan Africa as one substandard unit, South Africa included(especially after Apartheid)
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by Xris74: 7:15pm On Jul 23, 2007
Crime 'deters' SA 2010 tourists

SA hopes the 30,000 extra police officers will cut crime
South Africa's minister of tourism says his country's high crime rate could deter visitors planning to come to the 2010 football World Cup.
Marthinus van Schalkwyk said research showed one-third of potential visitors cited crime as a reason for not travelling to South Africa.

The country has more than 19,000 murders and 400,000 assaults a year.

By 2010, it aims to attract hundreds of thousands more tourists to the country and will recruit 30,000 more police.

In 2006, the number of tourists went up by one million to 8.4 million and the government hopes more than 10 million will visit in World Cup year - 2010.

"Crime is, therefore, an issue we as industry have to deal with if we want to reach our target," Mr van Schalkwyk told the National Conference of the Southern African Association the Conference Industry.

The latest annual crime statistics showed a rise in the number of murders and aggravated robberies even though overall crime rates were falling.

Mr Van Schalkwyk said he was pushing for separate figures for crimes against tourists.

"This can assist in dealing with perceptions that the country may not be safe for tourists," he said.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by naijaway(m): 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2007
doyin is very right from my perspective to distinguish btw black africans and the others that live in Africa ie arabs. Is them arabs in north africa that are the main starters of the arab league of nations; so is only right we discuss our understandings, problems and unity with the right nations because anything else will be fruitless. If you go to fetch water with a bucket that leaks at the bottom and u have to carry it far then there's no need going to fetch water with that bucket in that condition if nothing is not done to that bucket or u don't get a new one.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by denex: 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2007
What about we that are members of the common wealth of Nations. Abeg it really makes no difference has it ever come to your mind that the US has not been divided into the African American States, the Latino States, the European States and the Native American States. Because it will not take them further. It will not be for the greater good.

So please leave all these native African/Arab African segregation.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by BlackMamba(m): 10:03pm On Jul 23, 2007
I wish S. Africa the best, but my best chance in life lies in the success of Naija. The success of another country, black or white cannot guarantee my Naija folks freedom and prosperity. Lets not get it twisted.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by obong(m): 10:40pm On Jul 23, 2007
i think africa's rep rests on the success of the majority of countries. success from ghana and nigeria, )basically most west africa states) will give africa a greater boost than anythign from SA.
Re: Does Africa's Rep Rest On South Africa's Success? by denex: 11:12pm On Jul 23, 2007
Look to the East my people. If every part of Africa does not develope, we're wasting our time.

(1) (Reply)

Is This The True State Of South Africa / Efcc Behaving Like Politicians / Yar’adua Engages American Lobbyists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.