Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another (56658 Views)

Truck Crushes 3 To Death In Uyo, Injures Many (Disturbing Photos) / Speeding Range Rover Driver Kills Man, Injures Another In Imo. Graphic Photos / 100-Year-Old Python Killed In Okigwe, Imo State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Fcwilly: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2021
Deliverance have come the way of the people in that area, watch how plenty of the evil people go dey die.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Iamgrey5(m): 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2021
DoggoneDogg:

The picture depicts Oyo state.
The incident happened in Oyo state.
The picture is of a village that had no relationship with where the incidence occurred.

I hope you understand sir..

I thought you were a bit rational, I never thought you are just one of them.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by DoggoneDogg: 10:46pm On Oct 05, 2021
[s]
Iamgrey5:
The picture is of a village that had no relationship with where the incidence occurred.

I hope you understand sir..

I thought you were a bit rational, I never thought you are just one of them.
[/s]

Again,
The picture was taken in Oyo state.
The incident happened in Oyo state.

Do you have problems with logic?? angry
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Timoleon(m): 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2021
Timoleon:
It’s just so sad that Seun would push anything that gives him traffic even if it’s a symbol of tribalism or division. The article would do better without any picture at all rather than this one that has nothing to do with the story.
TotoGame:

Lolz.....Tears of an afonja

The Truth is that ibadan has the highest concentration of brown roof dilapidated structures on earth

Another thing is that yoruba men are naturally lazy ....you guys should double your hustles
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by TotoGame(m): 10:50pm On Oct 05, 2021
Eriokanmi:
They left and protected Those house on purpose. As brown and old as the roofs are, they're not leaking. Those who wanted to build new houses moved to places like bodija and ring road to do so. Anyone who pulls down the house or removes the roof would end up in court. They call it agbo-ile and are proud of them even though the rich amongst them don't live there .

Alaye just listen to your self ....shame no dey catch you?

An average ibadan man is lazy and poor ....all they do is to be feeding on the rent of these dilapidated buildings that was probably built by their fore father's

Yuu guys aren't preserving any shit ...the truth is that there's no kaluba to renovate those buildings period

I lived in ibadan as a teenager for 5years ....so I'm sure of what I'm saying

2 Likes

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by kaydee007(m): 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2021
OYO State and brown brown roof and 5 and 6
DoggoneDogg:

Source: Blueprint News
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Zetty177x: 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2021
I don't believe d story..so d OP could post pictures of brown rusted dirty roofs..but didn't post d pictures of the fallen tree..even if na

1 Like

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Zorn: 10:55pm On Oct 05, 2021
Eriokanmi:
The heritage of yoruba people. Those brown roofs had been in place for centuries, at a time when only one % of Nigerian houses were covered by bamboos. Look at those upstairs...those could only be found in ancient cities in Yorubaland. I've not found such elsewhere in Nigeria in such a large qty. Certainly, African civilisation started in Yorubaland especially, Oyo
what sort of stupidity bis this one?
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by yesloaded: 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2021
JAOS:
why are the so many brown roof in a place
Sign of early civilization

When we started using zinc roof, other region still use bamboo & weeds to make house for themselves

3 Likes

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by adetem(m): 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2021
This story makes me remember the tree at itakogun ilesha, the day part of the tree fell it killed many people. And up till today the other part is still stands green and no one can cut it off.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Crochet: 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2021
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Bigchristo: 10:59pm On Oct 05, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
O boy see oyo state
See as he ugly..

Atleast make them still dey renovate and change the roof na...

If at all them nor see money take build new one

Which one be ancient town and people preserve their heritage?
Ancient town mean say make them nor change roof...

Instead of you to say poverty is in the land
I tire oh, they always want to bend narratives of everything in this country
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 05, 2021
Timoleon:
It’s just so sad that Seun would push anything that gives him traffic even if it’s a symbol of tribalism or division. The article would do better without any picture at all rather than this one that has nothing to do with the story.

Cry more grin grin grin brown roof republic.

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr106:

They say it's a cultural thing and a legacy passed from one generation to another and that's why it can't be changed.
I heard a man tried changing his roof but thunder and lightning struck the man dead to the amazement of onlookers.

And you believe the story. Ode.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Eriokanmi: 11:03pm On Oct 05, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr106:

Yinmu! You think you're talking to "Johnny just come" abi? For your info, I was born and bred in Ogun state, lusada to be precise. I have Yoruba cousins and relatives too, in fact my extended family members are Omonile and we all grew up inside the same Agbo-ile. Those brown roofs are a display of poverty. Poverty runs in south west and every region in Nigeria. So quit making those excuses.
I grew up in Ibadan , also schooled there. No single politician, including late Ajomobi, whose family house ( agbo-ile) I don't know. Ajimobi's family house is at oke ado opposite liberty stadium junction. He even built a mosque there and an ICT Centre. Would you say someone like him couldn't have pulled down the buildings and erected modern ones? I'm not sure you're a yoruba person. Stop saying what you don't know. Where you lived or were born was a typical village in ogun and we have such typical building as found around there in virtually every region in Nigeria today. That's not what I'm saying or type of building I'm talking about. Omololu olunloyo, former oyo governor had their family houses at molete. They didn't pull them down despite their affluence. They're a heritage not a sign or display of poverty as you wrongly posited. Go to Mapo Hall, the oldest parliamentarian Hall in the whole of Nigeria. It's in ibadan. It was recently they renovated it with billions of naira. The hall had been there for centuries. Despite renovating it, the roof was left untouched. Is that too a display of poverty?
There was a man called Adebisi Idi Ikan who was a wealthy man in his time( Google it) He built a house of 99 rooms, the biggest single house in Nigeria as at that time. The house is still there till date, standing. The roofs weren't touched, despite the wealthy status of the family...would you also call that a sign of poverty? Go to Alaafin of oyo's Palace or olubadan's Palace at oja oba in ibadan, the buildings are as old as man yet they ride in limousine...are their brown roofs a sign or display of poverty. In some tribes , those buildings would have been pulled down

6 Likes

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Darkblood: 11:03pm On Oct 05, 2021
No pics?
This is shitty journalism
Do better
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by neyoohhh: 11:05pm On Oct 05, 2021
oldtruth:

That is to tell you it is an ancient town and that people preserve their heritage.

That is what differentiate an ancient town from newly develop or developing areas.

This is no preservation of heritage, it's poverty.

Are iron roofs a Yoruba heritage or just the material available during the build?

Condolences to those who lost their lives.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Agugbadin: 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
JAOS:

Na waoo
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by stevedeey(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2021
Why is it that almost all tragic or crime need in Nigeria always end with "Efforts to get the Police Public Relations Officer, Oyo State Command, Adewale Osifeso, to react were not successful as he did not pick his phone calls."

Is this country really a jungle?
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Timoleon(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2021
emrain:

Cry more grin grin grin brown roof republic.
Timoleon:
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2021
neyoohhh:

Are iron roofs a Yoruba heritage or just the material available during the build?

What is your definition of poverty? Someone who can provide shelter and basic needs without sending SOS to your lineage you are tagging poor?

Okay. Unknown rich man. Keep it up
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Ejiakusmith(m): 11:12pm On Oct 05, 2021
No be Juju be that !!!

but we supposed see de picture of de � tree na
Mendy 44 take ur time ooo
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by pegix(m): 11:13pm On Oct 05, 2021
Have heard about this tree before.... it's enchanted
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Jayzx: 11:13pm On Oct 05, 2021
The tree was said to have risen back over the night

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by dreofGod(m): 11:19pm On Oct 05, 2021
JAOS:
You just reminded me of the book, ' under the brown rusted roof'. A very interesting book. I wish I could get the book again.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by ThEGodFaThEr106: 11:20pm On Oct 05, 2021
emrain:

And you believe the story. Ode.
Oló'òorun.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Eriokanmi: 11:20pm On Oct 05, 2021
neyoohhh:

I don't agree with you.

Go to Oyo Alaafin and see those buildings and rich men and women who rose from there, including bode Thomas...yes same bode Thomas of sturulere. As someone who grew up in Ibadan I know a lot of them. The following bindings and agbo-iles are covered by brown roofs today and those who rose from those family houses are super rich and famous.

Late gov Ajimobi's family brown roofed house at oke ado ibadan
Chief omololu olunloyo, same dad of the popular female blogger at Molete
Gov Ladoja's family house
Late Gov Lam Adesina in molete, ibadan
Late Chief Awolowo family house at oke Bola ibadan where he also built his upstairs along the road
Adebisi Idi Ikan, the richest man in the whole of Nigeria in his time at Idi Ikan ibadan. The 99 room house is still there today despite the affluence the family was surrounded with. I can go on and on. They rather left them untouched for generations to come rather than pull it down. Those who tried to do that ended up in court.

I haven't even mentioned the olubadan's Palace, the man who rides in limousine .We yorubas are synonymous with that. Go to Benin, you'd find a similar trend there. Whereas in places like South East, you hardly can find such. They'd been pulled down. We yorubas aren't like that. We protect our heritage. By the time the Europeans return those bronze heads stolen from us, Nigerians would be wowed. Benin even had a larger percentage of those artefacts. Whereas,other tribes don't have such. Those bronze heads are over 600 years old before stolen by Europeans in the 18th century.

4 Likes

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by cardoctor(m): 11:20pm On Oct 05, 2021
You can write all tbis things but you cant snap one picture of your 100 year old killer tree.
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by crafteck(m): 11:25pm On Oct 05, 2021
JAOS:

Because the town was built in an era when the roofing sheets had high iron composition.

1 Like

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Back3back: 11:25pm On Oct 05, 2021
See here
Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by osmosis101(m): 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2021
The dead more than that please....
And the latest news about the tree is that the tree stood straight back,it went back to it's previous position
na Oyo I dey right now....
The news is real ASF,i just confirmed it.....

The tree stood back after so many abortive missions to cut it into pieces.....

1 Like

Re: 100-Year-Old Tree Falls In Oyo, Kills 4 People, Injures Another by Eriokanmi: 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2021
TotoGame:

Alaye just listen to your self ....shame no dey catch you?

An average ibadan man is lazy and poor ....all they do is to be feeding on the rent of these dilapidated buildings that was probably built by their fore father's

Yuu guys aren't preserving any shit ...the truth is that there's no kaluba to renovate those buildings period

I lived in ibadan as a teenager for 5years ....so I'm sure of what I'm saying
5 years indeed. Maybe you probably were confined in one place as a teen.
Next time you visit, go to the following popular ibadan men's family houses..

Late ajimobi( his family house is as old as man yet he didn't touch it despite his wealth). Its located at oke ado

Late lam adesina , former gov of the state has their own in molete

Gov Ladoja's family house too

Current olubadan and the past ones family houses.

Former governor olunloyo, dad of the popular female blogger had their own in molete, close to Late adedibu house.

They dared not pull them down else , they'd be changed to court.

Yes, homeless and lazy people living in those houses does not mean the descendants don't have money to replace the so called brown roofs. They cherish it a lot. Mufu lanihun...if you truly lived in ibadan, you know or may have heard about him. Despite his wealth he lived in his agbo ile, same brown roof.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Check Out This Black-Throated Monitor Lizard I Bought In Gombe (Pictures) / Huge Snake For Sale At Opebi Round-About. Come And Buy While Stock Last (Pics) / Police Van Transporting Blocks In Anambra State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.