Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Corpse Exhumed As Family Fails To Offer Goat, Yam, Beer, Etc To Village Council. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Corpse Exhumed As Family Fails To Offer Goat, Yam, Beer, Etc To Village Council. (204 Views)

Vehicle Conveying Corpse Catches Fire On Onitsha Head Bridge. Pics / Fulani Herdsman Relaxing With A Bottle Of Beer (Photo) / Ilorin Cemetery Rejects Corpse Of Civil Servant Killed By Lightning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corpse Exhumed As Family Fails To Offer Goat, Yam, Beer, Etc To Village Council. by Djkenny080(m): 9:22am On Oct 06, 2021
*****Corpse exhumed as family fails to offer goat, yam, beer, etc to Village Council*****

JUST EXERCISE A LITTLE PATIENCE AND READ TO THE END.

A village council chairman in Akwa Ibom state, Chief Aniedu Okon Thompson allegedly ordered the exhumation of the corpse of Late Aniefiok Daniel Bassey after the deceased family failed to offer some items as demanded by custom.

He died at 61 and was buried on 25 September 2021 at Usung Itiat village, Oruk Anam local government area.

According to Uduak Effiong Bassey, a cousin to the Late Bassey, in a letter addressed to the Akwa Ibom State Deputy Commissioner of Police, Chief Okon Thompson alongside four people and other unknown persons exhumed the remains of late Aniefiok Bassey from his grave, at around 8pm, amid sounds of gunfire.

Effiong went further to say that before his cousin was buried, that Chief Okon Thompson had demanded the following items:

one she goat
5 tubers of yam
one Jar of palm wine
one crate of mineral
one carton of beer
one bottle of Kaikai [local gin]
one bottle of Lord’s Gin
Garden Egg
Tobacco
Ntuen Ibok [local pepper]
condiments and
firewood

Uduak Bassey said Chief Thompson in letter on 26 September said that the items must be provided as a condition before the remains of Late Aniefiok Daniel Bassey could be buried.

The village council chairman accused the deceased of committing an “abominable act” which had resulted in the Council banning him from village activities.

In addition to his letter, Effiong said the chief verbally threatened him that “there will be no burial if his demands are not complied with and this was witnessed by one Silas Akifa, the burial Planning Committee Secretary”

Effiong said that although he was afraid that the funeral proceeding might be disrupted owing to the alleged threats by Chief Thompson, however, the deceased was buried peacefully.

“Surprisingly on or at about 8:00 pm, I was shocked to witness MR ANIEDU OKON THOMPSON, IKOBONG JOHN, UDO LINCOLN, UDO IBORO AKPANUSEN , MFON SUNDAY UDOAKPAN and some other unknown persons exhuming the remains of late Anieflok Bassey from his grave,” the letter reads.

“That I, full of shock, sneaked back to my house which is nearby and informed Silas Akifa of the development and the said Silas Akifa together with me were able to identify the above persons desecrating the remains of Late Aniefiok Bassey, firing gun shots into the air and eventually dumped the corpse of Late Aniefiok Bassey by a bush track and covered the grave.”

Effiong urged the police, “as a matter of urgency, to intervene in this matter and bring the culprits to justice to forestall break down of law and order In Usung Atiat Village”.

The letter reads in part:

Usung Atiat Village,
Oruk Anam L.G.A Akwa Ibom
27th September, 2021

The Deputy Commissioner of Police Akwa Ibom State Police Command Ikot Akpan Abia, Uyo

Sir,

A Case of Desecration of Corpse And Unlawful Possession of Arms Perpetuated By Mr. Aniedu Okon Thompson, Ikobong John, Udo Lincoln, Udo Iboro Akpanusen, Mfon Sunday Udoakpan And Others Unknown.

I am Mr. Uduak Effiong Bassey of Usung Atiat Village, Oruk Anam Local Government Area, a cousin to Late Anieflok Daniel Bassey. I write to you on the above subject matter as follows:

1. That I was the Chief Mourner in the burial of my Cousin, Late Aniefiok Daniel Bassey who passed-on on 23rd July, 2021 and was buried on 25th September, 2021 at Usung Mat village, Oruk Anam L.GA(A copy of the funeral programme Is herewith attached for your perusal).

The funeral programme.

2. That on 20th September, 2021, one Aniedu Okon Thompson served me with a letter dated 20th Sept. 2021 and captioned “Formal Notification” demanding 1 she goat, 5 Tubers of yam, 1 Jar of palm wine, 1 create of mineral, 1 carton of beer, 1 bottle of Kaikai, 1 bottle of Lord’s Gin, Garden Egg, Tobacco, Ntuen Ibok, condiments, and fire wood as a condition before the remains of Late Aniefiok Daniel Bassey can be buried. (A copy of the said letter is herewith annexed).

The Village council letter
3. That the above Aniedu Thompson (who is the Village Chairman of Usung Atiat Village) in addition to his letter, verbally threatened me that there will be no burial if his demands are not complied with and this was witnessed by one Silas Akifa, the burial Planning Committee Secretary.

4. That it is my information that though I was afraid that the funeral proceeding might be disrupted sequel to the threats by Aniedu Thompson but that never happened and the deceased was buried peacefully.

urprisingly on or at about 8:00 pm, I was shocked to witness MR ANIEDU OKON THOMPSON, IKOBONG JOHN, UDO LINCOLN, UDO IBORO AKPANUSEN , MFON SUNDAY UDOAKPAN and some other unknown persons exhuming the remains of late Anieflok Bassey from his grave.

5. That I, full of shock, sneaked back to my house which is nearby and informed Silas Akifa of the development and the said Silas Akifa together with me were able to identify the above persons desecrating the remains of Late Aniefiok Bassey, firing gun shots into the air and eventually dumped the corpse of Late Aniefiok Bassey by a bush track and covered the grave. (A copy of the picture of the exhumed corpse of late Aniefiok Bassey is herewith attached).

The exhumed coffin.

6. That I contend that as at the time of writing this petition, the corpse of late Aniefiok Bassey is still left abandoned by a bush track and this constitutes abomination, an act that is capable of plunging the village into crises.

7. Consequent on the forgoing, Sir, most respectfully, I urge on you, as a matter of urgency, to intervene in this matter and bring the culprits to justice to forestall break down of law and order In Usung Atiat Village.

I appreciate your prompt and positive response in advance.

Yours Faithfully,
Uduak Efflong Bassey

Cc: The Commissioner of Police Akwa Ibom State.

Re: Corpse Exhumed As Family Fails To Offer Goat, Yam, Beer, Etc To Village Council. by TheEnygma(m): 9:38am On Oct 06, 2021
Na wah oh

Always ibom people too get mind oh.... Why exhume a corpse simply because the people haven't paid community dues.

This is among the reasons why Men from other tribes often avoid marrying their women because the people too get wahala.

So na ordinary food make them do this kind thing ?

Chai !!! shocked
Re: Corpse Exhumed As Family Fails To Offer Goat, Yam, Beer, Etc To Village Council. by Djkenny080(m): 9:46am On Oct 06, 2021
This greediness

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Qatar Economic And Investment Forum / Graduating Students Escaped Death / The Main Skin Care Mistakes You Should Stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.