Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:07 PM

The Cup Of Christ & The Broken Cistern - Written by Jawolusy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Cup Of Christ & The Broken Cistern - Written by Jawolusy (323 Views)

3 Nigerian Pastors Who Divorced Their Wives And What Led To The Broken Marriages / The Site Of The Burial And Resurrection Of Jesus Christ, The Tomb Is Empty / Catholic Church In Nigeria Celebrates Feast Of Christ The King Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Cup Of Christ & The Broken Cistern - Written by Jawolusy by PediakAuthor: 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2021
In the Biblical context, a vessel is likened to a container (like a cup) which can be used for the embodiment of a content (most times, precious liquids).

In a similar vein, regardless of the value of the content, if the container is dirty or unpresentable, the audience might be skeptical about its acceptability. In summary, the container is for the most-acceptable service of the content.

In the context of Christendom; as Christians, we are the cup (that is, the glorious vessel), and Jesus Christ is the Living Water, the Blood, and the Word that dwell in us for His Gospel.

Many biblical accounts confirm this established notion. To mention a few, Luke was one of the witnesses of the fulfillment of the prophecy in Jeremiah 31:31, he wrote in 22:20; "In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

Alongside, kindly recall these biblical phrases;
"...Christ in you, the hope of glory." - Col 1:27b,
"...this 'cup' is the new covenant in my blood..." - Luke 22:20b,
"...out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." - John 7:38b.
These verses and many more clearly show that Christians are the Cup of Christ, that is; the embodiment of His virtues.

Literally, the said "vessel" is for a sacred service of the "content". Hence, the first and the most acceptable service unto the Lord is how we use our bodies as Christians (even beyond jumping from pillar to post in the name of services in his vineyard).
In Romans 12:1, Apostle Paul did justification to this fact, by saying;"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."
Kindly note the the phrase; "reasonable service". It also depicts that there could be "unreasonable service" even in his vineyard.

THE SERVICES IN THE VINEYARD OF GOD:
Ephesians 4:11-12
11 - So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 - to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.

Romans 12:6-8
6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

THE GOSPEL OF THE VESSELS:
The 4 types of Vessels and the 2 categories of vessels are listed as follow;

2Timothy 2:20 clearly says; "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour."

HERE IS THE MESSAGE:
Dear Christian, as you engage in the various services to God, as listed in Romans 12:6-8 and Ephesians 4:11-12, you perfectly fit in as either a vessel of Gold, Silver, Clay, or Wood. Relatively, as you function in those capacities, you can as well be categorized as a vessel unto honour (a good worker as in 2 Tim 2:15) or a vessel unto dishonour (a broken cistern in Jeremiah 2:13).

2 Timothy 2:15 (NLT);
"Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth."

Jeremiah 2:13;
"For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water."

Circumstantially, it is possible for a Christian to be a vessel of Gold or Silver, yet of dishonour (by not reflecting the totality of Christ in his/her gifts and services), whereas, another Christian could be a cup made of wood or clay, yet a vessel unto honour (by reflecting the glory of God in his/her ministries).

Lastly, two paths are laid before thee this day, the narrow path (by being a vessel unto honour, as in 2 Timothy 2:15), and the broadway (by being a vessel unto dishonour, as in Matthew 7:22-23, Jeremiah 2:13).
Choose the right path today!

Stay Blessed! Cheers!.

Written by Jawolusi Oluwaseun Solomon - @jawolusy

----------------------------------------------------

Relative Hymn: Fill my cup Lord.

Like the woman at the well, I was seeking
For things that could not satisfy.
And then I heard my Savior speaking —
“Draw from My well that never shall run dry.”

Chorus;
Fill my cup, Lord;
I lift it up Lord;
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul.
Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.

(1) (Reply)

CLERGY'S BIRTHDAY: As Christ Church Celebrates Its Vicar, Hon Obinna Nwaka Lauds / What Will Be Your Gain? / Obsession: A Poem On God's Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.