Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta (29208 Views)

Ahmed Musa Gifted A House To Joan Iwuchukwu, A Journalist In Abuja / Joan Laporta Returns As Barcelona President After Winning Club Elections / Messi Would Be Suspended Six Months For Conject Attacks (ESPN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

Lol..all those are stories that are not credible.... they are just talk cis barca said no one ever dropped an offer for messi ...no one was ready to pay his wages .... these guys see what u people don't see.... no one will pay much for a man over 30 that had struggled to win a trophy for country or even reached the final of the Champions league .... the reason juve signed Ronaldo wasn't just cos of his goals ...he was the most decisive player at that time in football...had won champions league bk to bk to bk as top scorer, league title, the Euros ... and he scored lots of decisive goals... he goatva 4 yr contract at juve at the same age messi is as of now...but psg only gave him 2 yrs ....

I quoted Mulbarak Al-Khaddon and you say these are lies. I'm not talking about this year these are 2014 -2017 happenings.

Al-Khaddon is not a football person. He is the head of UAE's Sovereign wealth Fund company. There's no incentive for him to lie here. (Google him).

You said CR7 is a decisive goal scorer yet he won only 2 La Liga titles in 9 years. The same number of titles as Robinho in Madrid (who is considered a flop there). The year CR7 won the golden boot in serie A, his team came 4th. Shouldn't we call his goals indecisive then?

How does Messi have more Golden boots & Pichichi & titles than 99% (including ronaldo) of all active players today by not scoring decisive goals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:01pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

I quoted Mulbarak Al-Khaddon and you said these are lies. I'm not talking about this year these are 2014 -2017 happenings.

Al-Khaddon is not a football person. He is the head of Saudi's Sovereign wealth Fund company. There's no incentive for him to lie here. (Google him).

You said CR7 is decisive goal scorer yet he won only 2 La Liga titles in 9 years. The same number of titles as Robinho in Madrid (who is considered a flop there).

How does Messi have more Golden boots & Pichichi & titles than 99% (including ronaldo) of all active players today by not scoring decisive goals.

All clubs have their targets and priorities..real madrid are more inclined to champions league....they are focused on champions league... barca had a better team than real madrid.... but Ronaldo was the factor on y they won more of the champions league... I can also argue that y did messi only win the CL 2 times while Ronaldo won it 4 times during the same period...

Champions league is toughest cos u have the beat of the best compete... the league is a 38 game competition, the psychology of playing the league is different from the CL... talking about the pichichi , we can also argue that y does Ronaldo have more top goal scorer in the CL ...

The guy u mentioned is not the part ofvthe management...he is the owner and u know how owners talk carelessly just to brag....
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2021
OlawaleBammie:
what about francesco totti

Totti and Gerrard had no one they were competing with ... messi might hv remained in barca if the comparison with Ronaldo was non existence cos he has won it all with barca... he joined psg to see if he can win CL cos no hope of winning it with barca again
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 3:10pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

All clubs have their targets and priorities..real madrid are more inclined to champions league....they are focused on champions league... barca had a better team than real madrid.... but Ronaldo was the factor on y they won more of the champions league... I can also argue that y did messi only win the CL 2 times while Ronaldo won it 4 times during the same period...

Champions league is toughest cos u have the beat of the best compete... the league is a 38 game competition, the psychology of playing the league is different from the CL... talking about the pichichi , we can also argue that y does Ronaldo have more top goal scorer in the CL ...

The guy u mentioned is not the part ofvthe management...he is the owner and u know how owners talk carelessly just to brag....

What the man said is not a brag.
In fact, if he was proud he would not have said that.

He said Messi rejected their offer of doubling whatever Barca was to pay him.

On whether or not Madrid was keen on winning the La Liga as a priority that NOT true.

Could you explain the comments below by Zidane?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/real-madrid/story/4138594/real-madrids-zidane-la-liga-title-better-than-champions-league%3fplatform=amp

Saying that a club like Madrid prioritizes UCL against Laliga is a laughable comment on your part.
Madrid is the most successful club in European history. They don't prioritize one against the other. They just couldn't win it.

Why did it take Madrid till 2014 to win UCL after signing CR7 in 2009? Does it have anything to do with the arrival of Kroos & Bale? Why didn't CR7 win the UCL with Juventus since he is so decisive?

You have left many questions unanswered.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by pacespot(m): 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2021
That former president really ran the club to the ground. During Laporta first reign, Barca was settling books on surplus. Corruption really killed Barca. It doesn't make any sense both morally and otherwise for any player to play football for free, not even the class of Messi
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:14pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

What's a decisive goal?

What decisive goal has Haaland scored in the last 2 years? Give me one. I assume a decisive goal should give you a trophy.

Mbappe was almost useless at the Euros.
0 goals 1 assist. You cleverly omitted that.
Mbappe missed a penalty against Switzerland. You carefully omitted that.
Mbappe did nothing and lost the champions league to Bayern in a final where he had a flat performance.

By the way there's nothing 'Officially' like highest goal scorer in champions League. Only we fans record such.

Also explain to us why CR7 failed to win the UCL for Juventus in his seasons with them? He almost made them not qualify for UCL this year and had them end their Serie A 7 years winning streak.

Are u sure u are familiar with football?? Did u just say he failed to qualify juve for UCL??

Again talking about winning it with juve....he did what no one will do including messi at juve... he scored all 7 goals that juve scored in the knockout stage in his first 2 seasons... that was a champions league winning performance from an individual... if other also put half of his efforts like in Madrid or Manchester , it wud hv been a done deal for juve .... at barca , the whole team always crumbled, Messi inclusive... dontvalso forget Ronaldo's age ... he is almost 37 ... u dont expect him to be as explosive as he used to b .... and how did he have them end their league winning streak ?? Are u really inclined with football...or a hater cos u are beginning to sound as one and I dont reply trolls ... he scored over 100 goals in his 3 years and u say he is the reason y they failed to win the league... he was serie a top scorer last season with 29 goals but inter won it with lukaku their top scorer hitting 23 goals... what does that tell u?? Or can't u see juve is struggling at serie a now in 8 position...
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by abbey621(m): 3:20pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

If he was so good y hasn't he been winning top scorer in the champions league , whr the best of the best compete... u cant score massive goals against minors and claim greatest... scoring goals is different from scoring decisive goals.... he didnt score in an el classico game since 2018 on the same day Ronaldo also scored b4 leaving for Italy.... he cudntvscore Colombia in the semis or Brazil in the final... I can go on and on... haaland , Lewandowski, Ronaldo, salah , mbappe have all score more decisive goals than messi in the past years

You're a comedian, last I checked he was still the number 2 highest goalscorer in champions league history and still had the highest goal total in the 2018 competiion. Name one player that you can say without any doubt played better than Messi when we compare the last 7 years, your closest guess would be cristiano and yet using your champions league stat as basis, he hasn't won highest goal scorer since 2017, so what are you smoking? All the other points you made are just plain dumb, nobody can deny his impact on barca and recently on Argentina winning the Copa, if you must argue, do it with sense!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

What the man said is not a brag.
In fact, if he was proud he would not have said that.

He said Messi rejected their offer of doubling whatever Barca was to pay him.

On whether or not Madrid was keen on winning the La Liga as a priority that NOT true.

Could you explain the comments below by Zidane?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/real-madrid/story/4138594/real-madrids-zidane-la-liga-title-better-than-champions-league%3fplatform=amp

Saying that a club like Madrid prioritizes UCL against Laliga is a laughable comment on your part.
Madrid is the most successful club in European history. They don't prioritize one against the other. They just couldn't win it.

Why did it take Madrid till 2014 to win UCL after signing CR7 in 2009? Does it have anything to do with the arrival of Kroos & Bale? Why didn't CR7 win the UCL with Juventus since he is so decisive?

You have left many questions unanswered.

U have started to sound like a troll... I will stop replying u... has Madrid ever sacked a coach for not winning la liga?? Madrid that sacked De bosque days after winning the league cos he failed in the CL.... also sacked Mourinho for failing to win the CL despite winning la liga the previous year .... asked zidane to leave despite winning the league title the previous year and finishing 2nd , a point behind atletico but because they lost to Chelsea in the CL , he knew his time was up... u dont know how real madrid operate.... zidane was there for 3 seasons despite winning the league title once ...but because he won the CL 3 times in a role, he dint loose his job ... the moment Ronaldo left for juve , he resigned cos he knew he had no chance to win it again as Ronaldo had left and he knew the nextvthing was sack
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

Are u sure u are familiar with football?? Did u just say he failed to qualify juve for UCL??

Again talking about winning it with juve....he did what no one will do including messi at juve... he scored all 7 goals that juve scored in the knockout stage in his first 2 seasons... that was a champions league winning performance from an individual... if other also put half of his efforts like in Madrid or Manchester , it wud hv been a done deal for juve .... at barca , the whole team always crumbled, Messi inclusive... dontvalso forget Ronaldo's age ... he is almost 37 ... u dont expect him to be as explosive as he used to b .... and how did he have them end their league winning streak ?? Are u really inclined with football...or a hater cos u are beginning to sound as one and I dont reply trolls ... he scored over 100 goals in his 3 years and u say he is the reason y they failed to win the league... he was serie a top scorer last season with 29 goals but inter won it with lukaku their top scorer hitting 23 goals... what does that tell u?? Or can't u see juve is struggling at serie a now in 8 position...

Re-read my statement. I said almost.

Explain how Juventus can win the League 7 straight years and then make UCL finals in 2 years. Semi finals a few more times. Sign CR7 and then fail to
Win both UCL and Serie A.

By 'almost' I mean that Juve would have NOT qualified for UCL if not for Napoli failing to win their last league game last season. I.e. at that point qualifying for UCL was out of Juve's hands.

Explain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by lasisi69(f): 3:24pm On Oct 08, 2021
MangekyoAlt:
I thought those were just rumors... This man legit wanted the GOAT to play for a miserable team for free of charge? It seems LaPorta is actually more foolish than I thought.
Messi should left barca years ago sef. Very nonsensical team. Can't wait to see them get relegated
But, what's your reason for hating Barcelona this much ?? undecided
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

U have started to sound like a troll... I will stop replying u... has Madrid ever sacked a coach for not winning la liga?? Madrid that sacked De bosque days after winning the league cos he failed in the CL.... also sacked Mourinho for failing to win the CL despite winning la liga the previous year .... asked zidane to leave despite winning the league title the previous year and finishing 2nd , a point behind atletico but because they lost to Chelsea in the CL , he knew his time was up... u dont know how real madrid operate.... zidane was there for 3 seasons despite winning the league title once ...but because he won the CL 3 times in a role, he dint loose his job ... the moment Ronaldo left for juve , he resigned cos he knew he had no chance to win it again as Ronaldo had left and he knew the nextvthing was sack

You are contradicting yourself.

Zidane has never been sacked by Madrid in all his stints there.

In your first paragraph you say that Zidane was asked to leave. In your last paragraph, you again said he resigned because he was afraid.
Which is it ?

Madrid does not sacrifice any trophy.
That's how they became the most successful club in history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:27pm On Oct 08, 2021
abbey621:

You're a comedian, last I checked he was still the number 2 highest goalscorer in champions league history and still had the highest goal total in the 2018 competiion. Name one player that you can say without any doubt played better than Messi when we compare the last 7 years, your closest guess would be cristiano and yet using your champions league stat as basis, he hasn't won highest goal scorer since 2017, so what are you smoking? All the other points you made are just plain dumb, nobody can deny his impact on barca and recently on Argentina winning the Copa, if you must argue, do it with sense!

Ronaldo has been better in the past 7 years.... 3 CL titles, 3 league titles, the Euros , CL top scorer 4 times in the past 7 yrs .. balon dor 2 times...even tho we know its 3 ( forget the modric wayo) what impact did he have on Argentina winning it?? Scoring Ecuador and Bolivia in group games and when it mattered the most Colombia semis and Brazil final , he went missing again ,just like he always does in most big games ... mention one decisive goal messi has scored in the champions league or world cup during this same period??
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by lasisi69(f): 3:28pm On Oct 08, 2021
fergie001:
Laporta, are you working for free?

Yeye talk.
lol... Serious question cheesy

2 Likes

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:31pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

You are contradicting yourself.

Zidane has never been sacked by Madrid in all his stints there.

In your first paragraph you say that Zidane was asked to leave. In your last paragraph, you again said he resigned because he was afraid.
Which is it ?

Madrid does not sacrifice any trophy.
That's how they became the most successful club in history.

I really don't know ur experience in football..butvi think u just started mayb a decade ago... u really don't know real madrid.... talking about zidane , the same thing with Mourinho, u don't hv to be sacked ...resignation comes with a reason... if they dint resign, they wud hv been sacked ... more like preserving their reputation
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by esmarcq(m): 3:34pm On Oct 08, 2021
See yeye talk sha
Kingcalls:
Lol... I remember when he was at barca and his fans said , noooo, Messi can't leave barca cos they treated him when he was young and ill... that he is forever grateful and loyal to them .. . I told them that the only reason messi was with barca is because barca is one of the best teams in football and that if it was valencia or villareal that did same, he wud hv left them since...they said I was talking trash grin grin... the moment barca madness start for pitch as iniesta, xavi puyol mascherano dani Alves villa comot.. omo ..baba japa , abandon sinking ship for money men grin grin ... I hv always said that footballer are like these modern women, there is nothing like loyalty... they only want trophies and money , if u like build statue put for field in their honor, they will japa once they hv a better offer and opportunity...

If he so much loved barca and appreciated what they did for him, he wud hv actually played for free cos that team got financially wrecked trying to keep messi... just like a struggling man trying to keep his trophy wife...
Guy man japa like oshimole wife as they kicked him out of APC chairmanship grin
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 3:36pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

Ronaldo has been better in the past 7 years.... 3 CL titles, 3 league titles, the Euros , CL top scorer 4 times in the past 7 yrs .. balon dor 2 times...even tho we know its 3 ( forget the modric wayo) what impact did he have on Argentina winning it?? Scoring Ecuador and Bolivia in group games and when it mattered the most Colombia semis and Brazil final , he went missing again ,just like he always does in most big games ... mention one decisive goal messi has scored in the champions league or world cup during this same period??

Funny how you said both Mbappe & Haaland have been more decisive than Messi.

Euro 2020 stats.

Haaland - Could not help his country qualify.
Mbappe - 0 goals 1 assist. Missing Penalty against Switzerland. Flat performances at the tournament.

Also Haaland has yet to win a major trophy for BVB.
Am I criticizing these guys harshly? No. I'm just pointing out loops in your argument of them being decisive.

Yet you claim I'm a troll.
Well you judge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by abbey621(m): 3:36pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

Don't bother replying, it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about!
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Asour: 3:38pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

I really don't know ur experience in football..butvi think u just started mayb a decade ago... u really don't know real madrid.... talking about zidane , the same thing with Mourinho, u don't hv to be sacked ...resignation comes with a reason... if they dint resign, they wud hv been sacked ... more like preserving their reputation

You said not me. I merely quoted your contradiction.

which is it? Was he sacked or he resigned. It can't be both.
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

Re-read my statement. I said almost.

Explain how Juventus can win the League 7 straight years an then make UCL finals in 2 years. Semi finals a few more times. Sign CR7 an d then fail to
Win both UCL and Serie A.

By 'almost' I mean that Juve would have NOT qualified for UCL of not for Napoli failing to win their last league game last season. I.e. at that point qualifying for UCL was out of Juve's hands.

Explain.

Ask urself whr they finished in the CL b4 Ronaldo joined ...also asked urself whr they finished on 2016.... now ask urself if they were the same players that featured in those 2 finals in 2015 , 7 yrs ago and 2017 and getting trashed 4.1 , a year b4 he joined ... in 2016 they were knocked out in the round of 16 ... so let's also say Robin van persie is the reason y man u collapse, cos they played 3 finals in the champions league with 5 years b4 he joined .... I really don't know how u guys think... can u compare the players and coach that took juve to the final 2 times with the one Ronaldo played with... Pogba, pirlo, buffon, dani Alves, khedira , Douglas Costa, tevez, inform higuain, younger bonucci and chielini, Bazargli , cancelo , inform sandro, matuidi , fit dybala, Mandzukic, Evra, camorenesi ,...can u use those to compare the clowns the have now ...apart from chiesa , cudrado , deligt , who else is worth a mention ??
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by JohnnyPalmer: 3:43pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

You are wasting your time on that one

He's a bitter fool that has dedicated his life to hating on Messi

He manufactures useless arguments, facts and narratives to despise Messi

He's also a liar

You are not arguing with a sensible human being, you arguing with a fool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

So u hvnt seen a situation whr by ud resign to save ur reputation b4 u get the kick??
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:46pm On Oct 08, 2021
abbey621:

Don't bother replying, it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about!

Mention the impact... scoring minors when we all know the team will still win without his contribution...Argentina without Messi will still trash Bolivia and Ecuador... they have the players to do so
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2021
Asour:

Funny how you said both Mbappe & Haaland have been more decisive than Messi.

Euro 2020 stats.

Haaland - Could not help his country qualify.
Mbappe - 0 goals 1 assist. Missing Penalty against Switzerland. Flat performances at the tournament.

Also Haaland has yet to win a major trophy for BVB.
Am I criticizing these guys harshly? No. I'm just pointing out loops in your argument of them being decisive.

Yet you claim I'm a troll.
Well you judge.

Haaland won the DFP pokal last season ...he was CL top scorer last season... mbappe was also decisive in winning the world cup for France...scored 2 crucial goals against Argentina....also scored the crucial goals that knocked barca out of CL ... name one crucial game that Messi won last season for club or county... Bolivia and Ecuador...Argentina was already leading comfortably b4 he scored in the dying minutes
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by lammy197(m): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

do you know your Ronaldo went Missing in euro 2016 too except against Wales and Hungary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by lammy197(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2021
Kingcalls:

messi in Copa America 4 goals 5 assists 21 chances created compare Ronaldo stats in his euro triumph with it you are trying to sound intelligent but it's otherwise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Lamasta(m): 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2021
Messi fans fuming against Laporta grin
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by m140(m): 4:02pm On Oct 08, 2021
wunmi590:

Why would he play for free, nah him papa get bercelona?

I'm a Ronaldo fan, even Ronaldo can not play for free, no free things in this our era again...

Gone are those days when Beckham played for free for psg before he retired, it can't happen again in this our era...

Shey nah stone Messi go use pay him pikin school fee?
Na stone beckham dey pay then... hmm
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2021
lammy197:
do you know your Ronaldo went Missing in euro 2016 too except against Wales and Hungary

Went missing really..and he scored decisive goals... against Hungary, they needed a draw to qualify, he scored 2 times and assisted once...fantastic assist and fantastic goals and they were all come back goals ... against Croatia his shot was parried by the goolie to Quarema who tapped into an empty net to win 1.0 ... against Wales in the semis he scored the opening and assisted nani with the second goal... 3 goals and 2 assists out of the 7goals Portugal scored when he was on the pitch
Re: We Hoped Messi Would Play For Us For Free - Barcelona President, Joan Laporta by Kingcalls: 4:05pm On Oct 08, 2021
lammy197:
messi in Copa America 4 goals 5 assists 21 chances created compare Ronaldo stats in his euro triumph with it you are trying to sound intelligent but it's otherwise

U people have come with ur chances created...when did this one start...y do u messi fans like stat padding like this ... u guys hv also started to count number of balls that hit the crossbar grin grin oh my goodness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet The Nigeria Football Team Of 1962 / Chelsea Announce Europa League Squad / Kenyan Abraham Kipton Wins Lagos City Marathon 2017 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.