Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,327 members, 7,860,809 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:40 PM

Jos Crisis: I Went Through Hell As Governor – Jang - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos Crisis: I Went Through Hell As Governor – Jang (567 Views)

Buhari’s Supporters Are Going Through Hell In Yobe – Adamu / Lalong Gives Ex-Governor Jang Two Weeks To Return “Stolen Money” / Governor Jang Appoints Son As Special Adviser. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jos Crisis: I Went Through Hell As Governor – Jang by hakanai(m): 10:11am On May 31, 2011
Jos crisis: I went through hell as Governor – Jang
On May 27, 2011 · In News

Jos - Gov. Jonah Jang of Plateau has disclosed that he went through “hell” as the Chief Executive of the State in the last few years due to the incessant Jos crises.

“I fought the civil war from the beginning to the end but I never saw anything like what we went through in the last two and half years of my administration.

“There would be no problem before you went to bed only for you to be woken up to hear that there was an attack here and there,” Jang said on Thursday at a dinner with his out-gone political appointees.

The Governor said at some point, he had contemplated leaving the PDP for his opponents if only that would bring peace back to the State in view of alleged politicisation of the crisis.

“But God said don’t go anywhere but remain in PDP and he would see me through the 2011. It was at that point I made up my mind to stand till the end, if I perish, I perish.”

Jang said that he acknowledged the hand of God in his victory at the 2011 Governorship poll after he fought “eight political Goliaths” and emerged victorious over them.

“If not God, how can eight people fighting against me buy nomination forms for N5 million each but didn’t know when God made them to forfeit it and left for other political parties?

“Anyone in this country who doesn’t believe that there is God should come to Plateau and he will see God,” he said.

The Governor expressed optimism that the crisis in the State was now over in view of the calm that had returned in the past few months.

He also said that he had forgiven his “enemies”.

Jang, who was accompanied by his wife, Talatu, commended her for the “strategic roles” she played in his administration, describing her as “a dependable pillar”.

Giving insights into her influence, Jang said, “At a point I wanted to remove Sarah (Yusuf, the Commissioner for Women Affairs) but my wife said no way”.

He also expressed gratitude to the out-gone team for standing by him throughout his trying moments, saying that his joy was that they had impacted on the lives of Plateau people.

He regretted that some of those he brought on board with him at inception “abandoned” him at his most trying moment and urged those who stood till the end to sustain the relationship.

He noted that his administration was the only one in the country that kept the same set of Commissioners for four years despite “compelling reasons” to change some of them.

“I believe in keeping with the principle of opening up the democratic space. Therefore, it is not possible for all of you to come back but some of you may be called upon when needed.”

Jang said that he was poised to training a young generation of leaders to take over from his administration.

He said that a situation whereby some people wanted to get appointments for life was not healthy for democracy.

According to him, all the severance allowances of the out-gone appointees has been worked out and would be paid immediately.

“It is the first time in the history of the State,” the governor said.

Giving insights into the focus of the next term, Jang said that the potentials of the Agricultural Services Training Centres (ASTC) would be harnessed with more vigour with a view to making farming the mainstay of Plateau economy.

He said the vehicles purchased by the administration to cushion the effect of the soon-to-be-implemented ban on commercial motorcyclists, would be distributed to the youth on loan.

Jang had, at a valedictory Executive Council meeting on Wednesday, dissolved the Council, Special Advisers and Boards. (NAN)

(1) (Reply)

PDP To Die A Slow Painful Death / Do We Need Another Awo? / Jonathan To Consider 65 Years Old Nigerians For Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.