Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Celebrating The Successful South Sudan Medical Mission By Nigerian Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Celebrating The Successful South Sudan Medical Mission By Nigerian Doctors (155 Views)

Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors / 32nd O.B. Lulu-briggs Foundation Free Medical Mission Serves 3,853 In Rivers / How Nigerian Doctors Worsened Drug Abuse Among Nigerian Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Celebrating The Successful South Sudan Medical Mission By Nigerian Doctors by JesusChristLord: 8:51pm On Oct 08, 2021
Celebrating the successful South Sudan medical mission by Nigerian doctors

By Adeze Ojukwu

When a team of Nigerian doctors, pharmacists, social workers and missionaries stormed South Sudan for a medical mission last year, little did they know that the impact of the charitable voyage will be huge.

Phenomenal reports, from locals, who graced the occasion, attest to the success of the event. A 60-year old patient, who was nearly blinded by glaucoma, said he has recovered his eyesight.

His words: ‘I benefitted from the free eye screening exercise, by a Nigerian ophthalmologist. Today I can see and read with my eyes. I am very touched by this kindness.’

The same delight was displayed by hundreds of patients, who received free treatment and medications during the exercise.

The amazing story of this medical camp is worth sharing.

The successful medical mission to South-Sudan has continued to evoke exuberant elation and delightful reminiscence, according to the benevolent group.

Indeed, this awesome outcome, is particularly, gratifying, considering the uncertainties and challenges that trailed the voluntary venture.

The five-day outreach, which took-off on November 3, 2019, was executed by Africa Vision Tract House Society (AVTHS), the missionary arm of the Nigerian Christian Graduate Fellowship (NCGF) in partnership with Association for Peace & Development Initiative (APDI), Nigeria.

The team, ably, led by former president of NCGF and a renowned medical practitioner, Dr. Godwin Uwaoma, featured free medical and social services to communities in Juba, Jubek State. He was accompanied by his loving wife, Ihuoma.

Other members of the mission included the Missionary Director, AVTHS, Mr Polycarp Mbah, Dr. Paul Ngwu, Dr. Chukwudi Onwuegbuna, Dr. and Dr. (Mrs) Gabriel Udo-Affah and Dr. Holy Brown.

The delegation also had Dr. Chinasa Mba, Mrs Stella Ogu, Mr Shalom Nwabuoku, Mrs Iphie Ahaiwe Mrs Esther Onaiwu and Dr. (Mrs) Rebecca Etiubon.

Other ministers were Evangelist(Mrs)Mfon Okon-Umoren, Pastor Ikponmwosa Osawe, Mr. Innocent Onubogu, Mrs Charity Onubogu, Pastor Godfrey Olise and Pastor James Adebowale.

Generally, the entire humanitarian expedition was adjudged glorious, by all the stakeholders and attendees, due to the marvelous testimonies of outstanding miracles, successful surgeries and stunning conversions witnessed at the divinely-propelled assembly.

This is fascinating, because some logistical issues encountered, over venue and flight rescheduling, as well as some communication and administrative hiccups, obviously orchestrated by the enemy, were defeated through godly wisdom and favourable interventions.

In verity, this love-driven gospel campaign was replete with innumerable victories, as many people received physical and spiritual restorations.

An interview with Dr. Uwaoma, was quite revealing.

His words: ‘I embarked on this trip out of a commitment to serve God and humanity, by offering medical services and counselling. I have participated in several medical missions in Africa. I led the team to Sierra Leone in 2008 and 2010. In 2011, I participated in the mission to Liberia and also Guinea Bissau in 2012 followed by Tanzania in 2015.’

‘For several years, I have had a burning desire to be part of the country’s rehabilitation process, after a protracted war. Therefore I was delighted to lead this mission,’ he added.

He continued: ‘My experience as a young boy during the war is a strong motivation. If not for the goodwill of humanitarian organizations, many people from the East would not have survived the Nigerian civil due to many nutritional diseases such as hunger, anemia, kwashiorkor, marasmus and other.’

‘Therefore I am always happy to offer any assistance to our brothers and sisters, through this initiative. Apart from leading the team I participated in general surgical operations and evangelical activities.’

‘Furthermore the fellowships and interactions gave us the opportunity to really understand the difficulties of the new republic.’

According to him, the South Sudanese are quite open and sincere, but the problem of ethnicity was rife.

‘Hence we prayed for reconciliation, unity and peace in the society. I am glad that one month after the outreach, the warring factions reconciled. For me, it is a great miracle.’

The loving fellowship of the brethren was a good tonic that brightened the faces of the brethren, many of whom have lived under the trepidation and distress of unrelenting bloodshed and displacements.

It was therefore great to watch Muslims and animists, trooping out and enjoying the Christian gatherings.

Many of them openly and joyfully declared, submission to the lordship of Jesus Christ, as saviour of the world.

The warm reception from the Nigerian Ambassador to South Sudan, Dr. Obinna Agbugba was quite soothing and exhilarating to the team members, some of who suffered from jet lag.

Indeed the Dr. Uwaoma-led missionaries took off with uncommon zeal and compassion for a journey to share the good news.

Volunteers from other organizations also joined in social and medical services to offer the Juba communities free diagnosis and treatment of various diseases and sicknesses.

Free surgical operations were undertaken to give freedom, hope, and life back to the people.

According to Mbah, a pharmacist, the line-up also included evangelical activities including counselling, prayer as well as distribution of gospel tracts and bibles.

‘Other highlights of the project were social initiatives with several sessions of leadership trainings, financial lectures, health seminar, testimony fellowships as well as distribution of free clothes and house hold items.’

‘The team from Nigeria arrived at Juba but could not commence operations, due to delay in accessing luggage,’ Mbah added.

Nevertheless, they still, enthusiastically offered, free medical services and surgeries, while other members rendered serious intercessions for peace and development of the war-torn country.

The team, under the guardianship of the Holy Spirit prayed at strategic locations of the country’s capital.

A brief opening ceremony which had in attendance, some church leaders and health personnel as well as former and serving military officers, underscored the significance of the mission to the socio-economic and spiritual well-being of participants and the nation in general.

Cheerily, South Sudan believers in attendance, expressed great excitement about the philanthropic exercise, highly needed as a soothing balm for a society that had wearied by armed conflicts.

The tremendous results of the outing is evident in the various positive outcomes of the international engagement.

Specifically, 610 medical cases were treated, including six general surgical operations, 615 laboratory tests, 166 eye screenings with distribution of 84 medicated glasses to patients.

The pharmacy section was equally buzzing, as about 438 patients collected drugs.

The evangelical wing was also busy as 411 persons committed their lives to Christ, while 42 Bibles and 40,000 gospel tracts were shared.

The group also engaged in campus crusades, youth summit, capacity building outings and women summit.

Executive Director, AVTHs said, ‘these wonderful accomplishments, can only be attributed to God’s grace and provisions, because the initiative was quite financially challenging, due to high foreign exchange rates, inflammatory factors, dearth of medical experts due to brain-drain and spiralling flight charges.’

‘All these encumbrances have however been out-paced by the good reports, precipitated by the event. For instance, South Sudan church and people are now more receptive towards the gospel,’ Dr. Umoren added.

According to him these testimonials can be accentuated, by proper discipleship actions to ensure that new converts are not lost again.

‘This is very important given the persecution and hostilities, that may likely come from false religious teachers and jihadists,’ he added.

Sadly, the country is in dire need of well-trained health and educational professionals, a direct consequence of years of conflicts and loss of highly- skilled experts and educated professionals.

The dearth of well-horned personnel, in vital sectors of the country’s sector, especially doctors, nurses, pharmacist, engineers and teachers needs urgent response.

Government and Christian organizations may consider sending kindhearted volunteers, as part of efforts to rebuild the fragile society.

Source:
https://devcomradar.org/celebrating-the-successful-south-sudan-medical-mission-by-nigerian-doctors/

Re: Celebrating The Successful South Sudan Medical Mission By Nigerian Doctors by TarOrfeeek: 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2021
Nice gesture

However we need more selfless medical care to OUR own citizens here in Nigeria.

lalasticlala FP material
Re: Celebrating The Successful South Sudan Medical Mission By Nigerian Doctors by Blake755: 10:10pm On Oct 08, 2021
Nice one front page things

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat / Suntech Commences Prosthetics Production In Nigeria / Is Euthanizing A Suffering Patient Medically Permitted In Nigerian Hospitals?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.