Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,862 members, 7,851,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

W. H. Auden – “stop All The Clocks, Cut Off The Telephone.” - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / W. H. Auden – “stop All The Clocks, Cut Off The Telephone.” (231 Views)

H o S / The Hidden Story Behind My Sexual Life Between I And My Female Neighbour That W / Adetokunbo Amosu Launches Book As She Clocks 40 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

W. H. Auden – “stop All The Clocks, Cut Off The Telephone.” by Ayietim(m): 6:39pm On Oct 09, 2021
Stop all the clocks,

cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead

Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,

Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,

Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;

I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

https://ayietim.com/2021/10/09/w-h-auden-stop-all-the-clocks-cut-off-the-telephone/

(1) (Reply)

Ana Releases Electronic Newsletter / Every Moving Thing In Lagos Must Queue — Ayomide Inufin D'great X Babson Hannah / How To Write A Killer Blog Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.