Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos (1665 Views)

World’s Rarest Passport That's Held By Only 500 People Is Over 900 Yrs Old (Pix) / Moremi Statue Of Liberty - Photos and Video of The Tallest Statue In Nigeria / The Fish Statue At Abraham Adesanya Roundabout Lagos, Removed (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2021
If you know a lot about brazil you would agree with me that this statue is the most important landmark in Brazil and you would see a lot of tourists visiting the place, this statue is a Brazilian masterpiece if you love architecture I am sure that you would agree with me and read more about this mind-blowing Brazilian masterpiece. They picked the right spot for the statue.

Christ the Redeemer, Portuguese: Cristo Redentor, is an Art Deco statue of Jesus Christ in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, created by French sculptor Paul Landowski and built by Brazilian engineer Heitor da Silva Costa, in collaboration with the French engineer Albert Caquot. Romanian sculptor Gheorghe Leonida fashioned the face. Constructed between 1922 and 1931, the statue is 30 meters (98 ft) high, excluding its 8-meter (26 ft) pedestal. The arms stretch 28 meters (92 ft) wide.

The statue weighs 635 metric tons (625 long, 700 short tons), and is located at the peak of the 700-meter (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city of Rio de Janeiro. A symbol of Christianity across the world, the statue has also become a cultural icon of both Rio de Janeiro and Brazil and was voted one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. It is made of reinforced concrete and soapstone.

Vincentian priest Pedro Maria Boss first suggested placing a Christian monument on Mount Corcovado in the mid-1850s to honor Princess Isabel, regent of Brazil and the daughter of Emperor Pedro II, but the project was not approved. In 1889 the country became a republic, and owing to the separation of church and state the proposed statute was dismissed.

The Catholic Circle[clarification needed] of Rio made a second proposal for a landmark statue on the mountain in 1920.The group organized an event called Semana do Monumento ("Monument Week"wink to attract donations and collect signatures to support the building of the statue. The organization was motivated by what they perceived as 'Godlessness' in the society. The donations came mostly from Brazilian Catholics. The designs considered for the "Statue of the Christ" included a representation of the Christian cross, a statue of Jesus with a globe in his hands, and a pedestal symbolizing the world. The statue of Christ the Redeemer with open arms, a symbol of peace, was chosen.

A group of engineers and technicians studied Landowski's submissions and felt building the structure of reinforced concrete (designed by Albert Caquot) instead of steel was more suitable for the cross-shaped statue. The concrete making up the base was supplied from Limhamn, Sweden. The outer layers are soapstone, chosen for its enduring qualities and ease of use. Construction took nine years, from 1922 to 1931, and cost the equivalent of US$250,000 (equivalent to $3,600,000 in 2020) and the monument opened on October 12, 1931. During the opening ceremony, the statue was to be lit by a battery of floodlights turned on remotely by Italian shortwave radio inventor Guglielmo Marconi, stationed 9,200 kilometers (5,700 mi) away in Rome but because of bad weather, the lights were activated on-site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfFfaLSeviQ

https://www.walkbrazil4k.com/2021/10/90-yrs-old-todaychrist-our-redeemer.html?m=1

Cc Mynd44 Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 12, 2021
More

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2021
More..

2 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 12, 2021
In 2020 the statue was lit with flags of countries affected by the covid 19 virus

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by 1bunne4lif(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2021
A master piece indeed

3 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by expertman(m): 4:11pm On Oct 12, 2021
Nice master piece

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by peppo4live: 4:43pm On Oct 12, 2021
Is today a public holiday in Brazil?

2 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 12, 2021
peppo4live:
Is today a public holiday in Brazil?

yes today is the lady of Aparecida day

4 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by peppo4live: 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

yes today is the lady of Aparecida day
Thanks
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by kenny714433(m): 10:27pm On Oct 12, 2021
I love statues
I love artworks
I love the Catholic Church
That's why I fell in love with Dan Brown's Davinci Code.

That's why I'm Catholic. But Nigerian Catholic Church doesn't fancy arts.

This status will tell the next centurions lots of stories. What a great history written on just a symbol.

Funny enough, we can write our own history today through art but all we think of is to amaze illicit wealth.
I love sane country.

5 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 12, 2021
kenny714433:
I love statues
I love artworks

This status will tell the next centurions lots of stories. What a great history written on just a symbol.

Funny enough, we can write our own history today through art but all we think of is to amaze illicit wealth.
I love sane country.

me too I love architecture ,imagine how much they must have generated because of this statue

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 13, 2021
Lalasticlala, this is FP worthy.

Well done, OP

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by pocohantas(f): 9:50am On Oct 13, 2021
This particular one is touching.

Are Brazilians predominantly christians?

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by cactusJack(m): 12:27pm On Oct 13, 2021
Put away idolatry..do not reverence anything in the likeness of man

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 13, 2021
pocohantas:
This particular one is touching.

Are Brazilians predominantly christians?

Yes Brazil has the second largest Christian population in the world after the USA, let's just say over 200 million Brazilians are Christians
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 13, 2021
cactusJack:
Put away idolatry..do not reverence anything in the likeness of man

People should be free to believe in whatever they want as long as you don't disturb the next person

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by pocohantas(f): 9:33am On Oct 14, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

Yes Brazil has the second largest Christian population in the world after the USA, let's just say over 200 million Brazilians are Christians

Would never have guessed. cheesy
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Samishiba: 4:59am On Oct 23, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

No 100 millions are Catholic 79 millions are protestants
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 23, 2021
Samishiba:

Protestants are Muslims?

4 Likes

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 23, 2021
kenny714433:
I love statues
I love artworks

I love sane country.
Glory to Jesus
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by kenny714433(m): 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2021
ShyBabe:

Glory to Jesus

Honour to Mary cheesy

ShyBabe wink

1 Like

Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Samishiba: 12:29am On Oct 24, 2021
walkbrazil4k:

Protestants are Muslims?

No. Evangelical protestants. Evangelical protestants are the second largest religion in Brazil. 43% are Evangelical protestants 60% Catholic
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 24, 2021
Samishiba:

No. Evangelical protestants. Evangelical protestants are the second largest religion in Brazil. 43% are Evangelical protestants 60% Catholic

Catholics and protestants are all Christians and they are make up 200million
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 06, 2021
Samishiba:

Are there English speaking Catholic church in Brasilia?
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Samishiba: 5:32pm On Nov 07, 2021
Kasham91:

Are there English speaking Catholic church in Brasilia?

No. English classes are so expensive in Brazil. Learning english is a privilege for upper class white Brazilians or all races who live in upper class. Only 4% of Brazil population speak english fuently. And Brazilians don't have many interest in learning english alone. Some Brazilians are lazy unfortunately. Lazy and accommodated. Exist a lot of sites in internet for learning english but the population don't have interest.
Re: 90 Yrs Old Today:christ The Redeemer Statue A Brazilian Master Piece (photos by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 09, 2021
Samishiba:

No. English classes are so expensive in Brazil. Learning english is a privilege for upper class white Brazilians or all races who live in upper class. Only 4% of Brazil population speak english fuently. And Brazilians don't have many interest in learning english alone. Some Brazilians are lazy unfortunately. Lazy and accommodated. Exist a lot of sites in internet for learning english but the population don't have interest.

Thanks. Was hoping I'll look for one that speaks English and attend when I get to Brazil

(1) (Reply)

Can One Get Resident Permit From Tourist Visa In Turkey? / Airlines That Travel From Ikoyi To Surulere (lagos) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.