Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,323 members, 7,954,298 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:16 PM

Oh Ye Professional Students! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oh Ye Professional Students! (274 Views)

If These Professional Students Could Pass ICAN Exams With Ease, You Too Can / Ye / Igbo People Come And Carry Your Daughter Away From Facebook Oh Plss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oh Ye Professional Students! by Layze(m): 5:19pm On Oct 12, 2021
Oh ye Professional Students!

Warm greetings to everyone preparing for the November 2021 ICAN exams - whether preparing to write foundation, skills or Professional level.
This is another week to be productive.

Countdown: 34 DAYS TO GO!!!

As a gentle reminder, the exams, slated to hold between November 16-18, is just 34 days away from today. That is exactly 4 weeks and 6 days to go!

Preparations should have been intensified by now because the exam is fast approaching.

A lot of students have issue with ICAN exams because they are overwhelmed with the syllabus (ask skills students preparing for PSAF exam).

Some students have issue with comprehension of so many technical topics and so many so many formulas (SFM and PM students can relate).

The essence of this write up is to provide students with direction and insight of what I call the "MVT" - most valuable topics - for each course.

For each course in each stage, there are topics that cannot be left "untouched" before going to the exam hall. These topics are the MVTs or hotdogs.

Based on research and past experiences, candidates so not do themselves favour if they don't know these topics while going to the exam hall. The topics have nothing less than 80% chance of being tested.

Below are the MVTs for each course in each stages - Skills and professional.

Skills:
1. Financial Reporting:

- Group account. - Cashflow
- Ratio Analysis. - Published account
- At least average knowledge of standards

Out of the first four topics, I can confidently tell you that two comes out every diet and they are mostly the compulsory number one question.

2. Performance Management (PM):
This is the most technical exam in skills stage - it is the nightmare of so many candidates. However, it isn't as hard a portrayed and I can categorically tell you that any students going to the exam hall without knowledge of the following topics is not doing him/herself a favour.

- Relevant Costing. - Limiting factor
- Transfer Pricing. - Divisional Performance
- Variance Analysis. - Budget
- Activity Based Costing
- Linear Programming

3. Public Sector Accounting & Finance:
The MVTs include:

- Public Finance (chapt 31-37): very important
- Budget. - Govt revenue and expenditure
- At least an average knowledge of some IPSAS

4. Corporate Strategic Management and Ethics (CSME):

- Models in strategic management (PESTEL, SWOT, etc)
- Corporate Governance
- Ethics - At least average knowledge of risk.

PS:
In order to ace CSME, it is important to know how to analyze and present your thoughts. I always advise students to go through past questions and see how the models are broken down succinctly.

PROFESSIONAL:

Corporate Reporting:
- Group account. - Ratio Analysis
- Group cashflow.
- Above average knowledge of standards

Strategic Financial Management:

- Cost of Capital. - Investment Appraisal
- Merger and Acquisition.
- International finance - Portfolio theory
- Adjusted present Value

A.Tax:

- Company income taxation
- Capital gain tax. (Very important)
- Petroleum Profit Tax (very important)
- Pioneer Legislation
- Transfer Pricing

A. Audit

- Group audit. - Audit evidence
- Audit Reporting. - Practice management

Disclaimer!!!

This post is meant to direct and assist the students in the preparation for their exams. It does not represent the topic that will be tested for sure in the exams.
Students are hereby advised to read and practice lots of questions.

I wish you guys best of luck! ✌️

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oh Ye Professional Students! by Dynast31: 5:44pm On Oct 12, 2021
Wow!
This is coming at the right time and I think this is workable.

Thank you for sharing this priceless write up to help us ace ICAN
Re: Oh Ye Professional Students! by Jhims: 7:16pm On Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for this,
This will aid my revision exercise�
Re: Oh Ye Professional Students! by debsonpoint(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for this insight Chief... I'm no longer choked as I think. I'd be able to productively channel my energy appropriately with this guide

2 Likes

Re: Oh Ye Professional Students! by Laramie98: 7:47pm On Oct 12, 2021
Very insightful, this would help in the preparation for exam.
Thanks boss.

(1) (Reply)

Professor Yemi Osinbajo: The Teacher I Became / Law School In Canada / Waec Results 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.