Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation (7896 Views)

Have You Seen This Device? / Ten Things You Didn't Know Your Smartphone Could Do / Please Help Me Identity This Device (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Rickmann: 8:07am On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
I doubt if anyone here used this device. This is a pager. A historic electronic device used in sending record messages to big boys of yesteryears before the Advent of mobile phones.

I remember back in the day when I was working with a multichoice agency. My boss ( the agent) then was never in the office. So he had a pager which I normally send messages to him, either through a landline or I'll go to their paging office then at Kingsway ikoyi to send him the message using his pager number.

Work then was a lot stressful as this was the only fastest means of communication but then youll have to take the pain to Walk down to the paging office everyday except if you have a landline to call the office and relate your message and details of the receiver to them to send or forget about the message. Most times I don't bother and he'll be like " why didn't you page me yesterday and bla bla"? grin

Las las, I got tired of the job because of that everday "Waka Waka" and after the people (a neighboring office) I was using their landline started misbehaving and I stopped going there.

Times have really changed. I'm sure no one uses it any longer.

That's a bleeping pager..
It has died even in the western world , how much more Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Perosingx(m): 9:48am On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
I doubt if anyone here used this device. This is a pager. A historic electronic device used in sending record messages to big boys of yesteryears before the Advent of mobile phones.

I remember back in the day when I was working with a multichoice agency. My boss ( the agent) then was never in the office. So he had a pager which I normally send messages to him, either through a landline or I'll go to their paging office then at Kingsway ikoyi to send him the message using his pager number.

Work then was a lot stressful as this was the only fastest means of communication but then youll have to take the pain to Walk down to the paging office everyday except if you have a landline to call the office and relate your message and details of the receiver to them to send or forget about the message. Most times I don't bother and he'll be like " why didn't you page me yesterday and bla bla"? grin

Las las, I got tired of the job because of that everday "Waka Waka" and after the people (a neighboring office) I was using their landline started misbehaving and I stopped going there.

Pager �? My Aunt had one then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by paweln(m): 9:58am On Oct 18, 2021
Some of us never use handset up till 2009

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by bularuz(m): 10:50am On Oct 18, 2021
Wow, the pager it was very rare to see, my uncle had one then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Haynnie: 10:57am On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:
Wow! A whooping 47 views and no one can relate? Hm.. now I know how to catch the smallies on here lol...

Let me see anybody talk when I talk tongue.

Or could it be a case of lack of exposure? Hmmm...
Well I was exposed quite early in life to so many things except immorality..

Anyways, just Educate yourself with the post if you can't relate. wink.

Since you be ancestor for NL Oya expose us to things you know back then except kpokpogri
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by AlusiNkeIzizi: 11:05am On Oct 18, 2021
WaterWalker5:

25 years is too far. Because we're entering the age of Quantum science and Artificial Intelligence. So by that time technology will be seamless. There won't be phones as we know them today cos at that time due to AIs and Quantum Science, nobody will need to carry bulky phones around anymore. Just like we used to stay at home and stay by our Analog phones to recieve calls, so it'll be then. Cars will take over the airways, Commercial airlines will Run not by human Pilots but by AIs. Long story short. 25years from now, The world would be so transformed that the stuff we use now will be museum artifacts

AI is still at least 100 years away from the world that you just described, and "Quantum Science"(actually quantum computing) is not even past the theoretically sound stage, there is good mathematical argument to suggest that what quantum computing hopes to achieve is not physically realizable, so we must be a bit more modest with the answer to my question. What is most promising in technological development right now is mind/machine interface. Many successful demonstrations of this technology has been presented(albeit rudimentary). With further research(maybe 10 years from now) it's entirely possible that the state of the art in this field would have evolved to the point where humans will be able to communicate with each other simply by thinking about the act.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by McTobe(m): 1:40pm On Oct 18, 2021
There was no time that pager was too common in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I'm not old.

Yeah. That was my first job after secondary school and awaiting result.
Just kidding...But by the time I left secondary school, phones like Nokia, Siemens and Motorola were already being used.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Confamnews24(m): 3:21pm On Oct 18, 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by ibawon(m): 10:09pm On Oct 18, 2021
Mercychen:

I said "Indomitables" not indomie.
Yes Boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by WaterWalker5(m): 4:47pm On Oct 19, 2021
AlusiNkeIzizi:

AI is still at least 100 years away from the world that you just described, and "Quantum Science"(actually quantum computing) is not even past the theoretically sound stage, there is good mathematical argument to suggest that what quantum computing hopes to achieve is not physically realizable, so we must be a bit more modest with the answer to my question. What is most promising in technological development right now is mind/machine interface. Many successful demonstrations of this technology has been presented(albeit rudimentary). With further research(maybe 10 years from now) it's entirely possible that the state of the art in this field would have evolved to the point where humans will be able to communicate with each other simply by thinking about the act.
Hmm Bro 100 years is still too far for Quantum computing as you put it to become to be able to achieve physically realizable results.
One thing you must know is that before men took to the skies, men thought it was impossible. The bright minds of then argued against it. Until one polymath with a crazy forward thinking idea concieved an idea about flight and even drew and made some notes to back up his idea. He did the same for other inventions like helicopter and parachute. What stalled him was the tools needed were not available so he could only sketch and level detailed notes. The Polymath - The great Leonardo da Vinci a guy with a skill set in over 16 different disciplines from Painting to mathematics to inventions.

Fast forward some years later two young men made possible what people said could not be done. Science has evolved to a stage that we can't just say nothing is possible anymore. A lot of science that used to be movie stuff are now real life events. Scientists discover a metal that could be morphed and reshaped like that robot in Terminator 2 and that is just one aspect.
So my Bro. Just keep an open mind. Things are happening that we once thought were farfetched.
Do you know that as at this moment, Scientists are trying to see how they bring back ancient tribes to life through Ai technology but its still in its rudimentary stage for now
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by AlphaSoul: 6:56am On Oct 20, 2021
Mercychen:

Lol, pagers were widely used
by parents to keep in touch with their kids in the U.S. in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Pagers were widespread in the corporate world just as you've
stated in Lagos and even PH in
the late 1990s to the early 2000s.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 20, 2021
AlphaSoul:

Lol, pagers were widely used
by parents to keep in touch with their kids in the U.S. in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Pagers were widespread in the corporate world just as you've
stated in Lagos and even PH in
the late 1990s to the early 2000s.

Yeah you're right but I don't know about using it to keep in touch with children.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Pclemenza: 8:12pm On Oct 20, 2021
I wasn’t exposed to this even as a growing child.

I wasn’t exposed to many things as a child.

This I know now, thank You

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 20, 2021
Pclemenza:
I wasn’t exposed to this even as a growing child.

I wasn’t exposed to many things as a child.

This I know now, thank You

Oh.. welcome.

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by macho44(m): 12:15am On Oct 21, 2021
Mercychen:
Wow! A whooping 47 views and no one can relate? Hm.. now I know how to catch the smallies on here lol...

Ooooooh!!!
I remember those days, when men were still men, women were virgins & SEX was still Sexy. If you had a pager back then for Ajegunle,you be big boy. I

1 Like

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Saucekiddo99(m): 11:45am On Oct 21, 2021
It's a pager. I know what it is and I am not even old. It is not always about age.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Elxandre(m): 7:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
Mercychen:

How was text inputted on the screen?
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 21, 2021
Elxandre:

How was text inputted on the screen?

It's a message receiver.

The only way I know it was used then was by sending your message through a landline to their company and they maybe use a bigger electronic device to type and send messages to their customers on their pager. I don't really know how messages were sent but I know the owners used it majorly to receive messages..

Also, I think there are default messages on the device that enables two users to send to each other directly. As you can save someones pager number.

Thats the much I can say about it.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Athemisia: 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2021
Mercychen:

No big deal... It only means you are way too old already for childish games
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Corroro: 10:11pm On Oct 24, 2021
Funny enough I've never seen this device in Nigeria o, only in American movies, na 3310, multilinks and early TECNO phones we know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 24, 2021
Corroro:
Funny enough I've never seen this device in Nigeria o, only in American movies, na 3310, multilinks and early TECNO phones we know

Ok.
Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by OkoAnike(m): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2021
Mercychen:

Yeah, far back in those days, it was Nitel mobile phone, we called it not 9 not, then Pager, multiLink, Intracellular and Reltel, all this are process we went through before the advent of GSM, all thanks to the company I was working for then...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
OkoAnike:

Yeah, far back in those days, it was Nitel mobile phone, we called it not 9 not, then Pager, multiLink, Intracellular and Reltel, all this are process we went through before the advent of GSM, all thanks to the company I was working for then...

Yeah you're right. Though a few people had Mobil phone then. I remember those Alhajis and ministers back then who used to come subscribe for their DStv decoder always holding a mobile phone called acatel or mobitel. Can't really remember now. It had a small antenna that they pull up for signal..

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by OkoAnike(m): 9:03pm On Oct 26, 2021
Mercychen:

Yeah you're right. Though a few people had Mobil phone then. I remember those Alhajis and ministers back then who used to come subscribe for their DStv decoder always holding a mobile phone called acatel or mobitel. Can't really remember now. It had a small antenna that they pull up for signal..

The one Alhajis are carrying by your description happened in the days of Intracellular, not 9 not antenna are not small and you can only get it from Nitel...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You Didn't Use Or Know This Device, You're An Indomitable Generation by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 26, 2021
OkoAnike:

The one Alhajis are carrying by your description happened in the days of Intracellular, not 9 not antenna are not small and you can only get it from Nitel...

Yes yes yes! That's it! cheesy. Intracellular! cheesy

I've been trying to remember the name but you know it's a long time now.

Thanks for the reminder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Bad Has The Mtn Service And Bis Been In Your Area / Etisalat 1GB For N2000. Anyone? / Mtn Is Giving Away Free 4GB Data This 2017 :check Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.