Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,870 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

11 Things In Life That Just Aren’t Worth It - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 11 Things In Life That Just Aren’t Worth It (287 Views)

What Advise Do You Have For Those That Just Clocked 20 / What Are The Most Important Lessons You Have Learnt In Life? / What's Your Biggest Regret In Life So Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

11 Things In Life That Just Aren’t Worth It by salesbloo: 9:47am On Oct 18, 2021
It’s funny how life changes. Things that seem like matters of life and death today can look absolutely trivial a month later. Here are my resolutions.

Dreaming of a sports car.

I dreamt of owning a shiny new coupe for as long as I can remember. I thought it would solve all of my problems.
Well, last year I had the opportunity to buy one. It didn’t go through. Then the second lockdown hit. And then I realized that the piece of metal in the parking lot wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Worshipping your relationships.

Tim Denning just wrote an amazing article about the power of loneliness. He says that it’s during periods of isolation that people come up with the most original solutions (maybe that’s why people are massively considering quitting their jobs nowadays, lols.)
I wholeheartedly agree. People may give you the impulse to improve, but real growth always happens behind the scenes. Always.

Saying ‘yes’ to everything.

Sometimes, when there’s really really really nothing you can think of doing that could make your life better, spinning the wheel and just taking a chance on something is the right thing to do. At all other times, the biggest gains you’ll see will come as a result of ruthless elimination.

Youtube.

I know I’m not alone in this. I know that you, too, find yourself binge-watching Youtube videos. Well, do yourself a favor and put the phone down. Your imagination will reveal itself as the mental clouds fade away.

“Keeping in touch” with people.

You’ve been taught that social networking is power. It’s not. It’s cancer. It will drain you of your precious time and energy, and it will cloud your thinking.
People come and go, but that doesn’t mean that people who go are gone forever. If a bond is really precious for both sides, it will stand the test of silence. It’s like dusting off an old book. And if you have to keep blowing air to keep the fire going, maybe there wasn’t much of a fire in the first place.

Trading health for money.

I grew up in an environment where money was always considered more important than health. We may have not said it out loud, but I know we thought it all the time.
Well, it’s all fun and games until you start limping at 25. All of your brain power goes into the dumpster, too, thanks to impaired blood circulation. Good luck being creative and proactive with a half-disabled body.

Renting out your time.

People don’t get wealthy by trading hours for a fixed sum of money. They get wealthy by building and owning assets. Company stock, a rentable garage, an interesting mind — assets come in all shapes and sizes. A monthly salary is not one of them. It’s a fail-safe at best, and a drug at worst.
I’ve spent my most depressive years working paycheck to paycheck. I don’t remember the paychecks. I remember the depression.

Ignoring mental health.

It’s fun to think that mental health is voluntary. I used to think that. Before I realized that my entire life can be summed up via couple of primitive childhood traumas outlined in any decent psychology book.
All my relationships were venomous replicas of one another. All my motivations were stinky revenge-plans of an insulted child.
You don’t really realize how cancerous your own mind can be until you pop the hood. And when you do, you swim through the nastiest can of worms imaginable. But the journey is short, and the rest of your life is long.

Not getting enough sleep.

“Go to bed” was always more of a royal decree than an actual health prescription in my household. Which made staying up feel rebellious and meaningful.
It’s not. Lack of sleep destroys your ability to build antibodies. It ages you by 11 years in terms of testosterone. It stifles your intelligence. Getting enough sleep is absolutely the best thing you can do for your body and mind.

Eating sugary foods.

I never realized how sugar was affecting my life until I quit it completely. The result of my experiment was this: my energy levels evened out throughout the day. It may not sound like much, but it really makes a tremendous impact for your productivity and overall emotional stability.

Drinking caffeine all the time.

I’ve been drinking caffeine for as long as I can remember. I could drink a cup of coffee before bed and sleep like a baby.
Well, that changed when I started having some real stress in my life. Quitting caffeine helped me get rid of all the unnecessary anxiety. Which, apparently, I had a lot of.

https://bloomeet.com/11-things-in-life-that-just-arent-worth-it/
Re: 11 Things In Life That Just Aren’t Worth It by vickyfrancis1(m): 7:46pm On Oct 18, 2021
Nice one...

(1) (Reply)

Dr Kalu Celebrates Engr Nuno Nabiam On His Birthday / . / Please Do Not Ignore I Really Need Your Contribution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.