Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,314 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Former Ondo Deputy Speaker Escapes being sent to Jail - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Former Ondo Deputy Speaker Escapes being sent to Jail (209 Views)

Plateau Speaker Escapes Kidnap Attempt, Police Hunt Suspects / Court sentences killer of ex-Ondo deputy gov’s daughter to death (photo) / Lady Escapes Being Used For Ritual In Benin, After The Oga Rejected Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Former Ondo Deputy Speaker Escapes being sent to Jail by RealLordZeus(m): 1:28pm On Oct 19, 2021
A former deputy speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Iroju Ogundeji, yesterday narrowly escaped being sent to jail for filing what was termed a contemptuous petition against the Chief Judge, Justice Williams Akintoroye.

According to The Nation, Ogundeji, who is challenging his impeachment as the deputy speaker at the court, accused the chief judge of being biased and prejudiced against him, saying he was not comfortable with the fraternisation between the defendants and the chief judge.

In the petition submitted to the chief registrar of the court, Ogundeji said the elevation of Justice Akintoroye to the position of chief judge will not enable him to dispense with the case, which is time bound.

He said the chief judge would be preoccupied with a lot of administrative duties, which he noted would hamper the speedy prosecution of the case.

The petition said: “Your Lordship expressly praised the speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly and his estranged deputy during your Lordship’s confirmation on September 28, 2021. The position that is in contention before your Lordship.

“Your Lordship expressly mentioned that the House was stable in recent times because of the harmony between the speaker and the disputed deputy speaker. The House that is divided against itself will never hold.”

When the case came up for hearing yesterday, Justice Akintoroye announced his withdrawal from the suit.

He stated that he laboured for many years to build a name and would not want it to be dented because of a political case.

The Ondo chief judge noted that the petition against him was contemptuous, but said he would not commit the embattled lawmaker to prison for the offence against the integrity of the court.

He said: “I have my name to protect. I have laboured day and night to protect the only legacy I have, which is my name. I have not desecrated this seat. I have worked in virtually all judicial divisions in Ondo State without blemish. I practised for 18 years before I was appointed as a judge.”

Justice Akintoroye said all allegations against him in the past had been dismissed because he did not have any skeleton in his cupboard.

He added that he is a man with white garments, who will not go near oil.

He transferred the case to another registry to be assigned to another court for adjudication.

https://infonets.com.ng/former-ondo-deputy-speaker-escapes-jail-see-how/
mynd44
Re: Former Ondo Deputy Speaker Escapes being sent to Jail by illicit(m): 1:32pm On Oct 19, 2021
undecided
Re: Former Ondo Deputy Speaker Escapes being sent to Jail by DoctorDree(m): 2:14pm On Oct 19, 2021
Wetin do him neck?

(1) (Reply)

Family Of Popular Tech Investor Returns To Court, Kick Against Property Sales / Lagos Truck Crushed 11 School Pupils, Leaving 7 In Critical Condition / The Shame Of A Country! When You Think It's Over, It Rears Up Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.