Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,752 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Forces Beyond Our Control - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Forces Beyond Our Control (289 Views)

Ibadan Book Club And Adwinsa Publications Join Forces To Establish Young Readers / Forces Of Darkness (A Short Story) / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Meghan Markle 'Forces For Change' Vogue List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Forces Beyond Our Control by Elite14(m): 7:12am On Oct 20, 2021
Forces beyond our control

We will write our memoirs unafraid, because we know what our truth is like... We will not die even when they kill us,we're the power they lack." - Jumoke Verissimo

The memories still lingers. The scars are still visible. How can I forget when I still see their faces in my mind,and their screams,still echoing in my ears. The more I try to push it away, the more it comes, glaringly. I will not stop talking about it. I will not cease to share the story; of how my brothers were massacred in cold blood at the Lekki toll gates by men who were meant to keep them safe.

It was indeed moments of joy,we all came together not minding our tribes and differences. We embraced one another in our course for freedom- our fight to change things.
I could remember calling Mom after Tuesday's protest. She voiced her worries and I calmed her down telling her " we will return home safe and unhurt." Little did I know, and little did we know...

Just shortly after the evening snacks,a quite number of us were already preparing to sleep,majority of us were still up, sharing hopes about how well the fight was going.

Then we noticed them come in their vans,a couple of them at first,then more followed but we were not bothered,we had no prior issue with them. And so we made no move because we felt we were safe. At least security was one of our aggrieved demands so...no reasons to fear.

Then someone notices some of the lights went off and called everyone's attention to it. Some of us were starting to panick but we calmed them down,we could feel something coming but no,not this...
More lights went off,and off till we were plunged into total darkness. Then it dawned on us that we were in grave danger,but we could not run- we were surrounded. We could only hope and pray.

We gathered together. We held hands. Uncertain of the next moments. Bounded by brotherhood. Brothers with one voice. Brothers with one fate.

I heard someone says his last prayers,confessing his sins to God. With tears in my eyes I began to do the same. We had nothing but pure intentions for our country. But these beasts do not seem to care.

" Wave your flags," someone said. Everyone waved their flags in surrender. Then we heard someone singing the National Anthem. In our twos and threes we joined,chanting loudly...
[s]
"To serve with heart and might!"[/s]

A heart they ripped with their corrupt and filthy hands?

You could hear the fears in our voices,but the evil ones were not deterred.

And then it came down,
Death in torrents of hot steel.
A gasp here,
Another one there,
Will mine be next?

Young hearts were stilled. Great dreams shattered. And they kept coming and coming till we were but a few. They took away some bodies in a bid to cover up their heinous crimes.

They call it " forces beyond our control." We call it massacre. They call it accidental discharges. We call it callousness.

To whosoever is concerned. Let it be known that we obeyed the nation's call,and got served with hot dogs of brutality.

Bullets can pierce flesh,but unity is an armed fortress. The scent of revolution will linger in the air until we restore our nation.
Re: Forces Beyond Our Control by Elite14(m): 8:24am On Oct 20, 2021
"A gasp here,
Another there
Will I be next �
Re: Forces Beyond Our Control by Elite14(m): 8:25am On Oct 20, 2021
Lalasticlala Please Push this

(1) (Reply)

Anger Management. / How Do You Show Not Tell? And, Also, How Can I Get A Grammarly Account? / Life Changing Poetry || A Slave To A Dream | The Greatest Perspective On Life Th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.