Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors (688 Views)

Abubakar Aliyu: Fix Federal Roads In Your States, We'll Pay You Later / Restructure Your States, Stop Regional Campaign, Lawan Tells Govs / Surrender Your States To Buhari, Akpabio Tells PDP Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by micronut(m): 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2021
The Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, has advised state governments to enact laws to make mandatory monthly rent payments to make housing more available to Nigerian masses.

Fashola made the call on Thursday, October 21, at the 10th Meeting of the National Council on Lands, Housing and Urban Development in Ikeja, Lagos.

According to him, “We may not be able to make all people homeowners, but we can reduce the number of those who lack shelter or live on the edge every so often when rent is falling due.

I am sure that our country will be a much better place when three years rent in advance, two years rent in advance or one year rent in advance for middle class and working family residential homes becomes monthly rent, payable at the end of the month.

Why we may not get there immediately, this is an area of immense exclusion that we can remedy by legislative action at state level. This is a matter in which the Federal Government has no legislative competence. It is a matter for the states, and I urge you not to turn your backs.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv4pqUXEIWo

He said economic indicators showed that payment for a year or more in arrears affected affordability thereby increasing shelter gap, hence the need for legislation.

“All state legislators must see this as an important area of representation of their people to make life easier. So must governors and commissioners through executive bills,” he said.

This position has been ongoing for months now, as the Minister keep hammering it at slightest opportunity he gets to talk about housing in Nigeria. He said same in 2018, and 2months back at another gathering of housing stakeholders in Nigeria. Well, Nigerians have divergent opinion on this as many think such policy may not work here because of our different earning capacities.

See some People's comments and reactions to this. I also express my views in the video of the session where the Minister discussed this.

Guys, what's your take on this? Monthly or Yearly?

Source: Instablog https://www.instagram.com/p/CVUhKgZLkxn/?utm_medium=copy_link

Cc: Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by Johntoye: 3:15pm On Oct 22, 2021
I so much love fasola...still one of the best leader in Nigeria.
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by psucc(m): 3:46pm On Oct 22, 2021
This will only breed rancour between the landlord and the tenants.

The best is for the duo to agree on common terms without any interference or order from government who will first demand for property tax.
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by Philipponzaghi: 3:52pm On Oct 22, 2021
The only one I will support after Tinubu is Fashola.

He is rugged, intelligent, alpha male, and will deal with the cabals in the language they understand.

I will pick Fashola 5000 times over Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

Osinbajo is too gentle and calm for the position of Nigeria presidency.
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 22, 2021
Some people will still blame the government even when they're pushing policies that would help their life.
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by richiemcgold: 4:06pm On Oct 22, 2021
...some landlords don't even demand for annual rent from their telants again, they collect 2 to 3 year rents altogether at a go.
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by seborrhic: 4:08pm On Oct 22, 2021
Johntoye:
I so much love fasola...still one of the best leader in Nigeria.
You must be a clown.

1 Like

Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by micronut(m): 6:21am On Oct 23, 2021
richiemcgold:
...some landlords don't even demand for annual rent from their telants again, they collect 2 to 3 year rents altogether at a go.

Just imagine
Re: Make Monthly Rent Payments Mandatory In Your States — Fashola Urges Governors by adekolaelect(m): 8:05am On Oct 23, 2021
When they are failed they resulted pushing responsibilities. If you want to make law to pay rent monthly ? Have you make law on how how building materials sellers will be collecting money insurementaly ? Have you make step for House builders how to pay their approver fees to the government monthly ? I hope you will extend it to land sellers too? Do you think it is easy to deside for business owners how to and when to sell their goods when you gov had collected your own tax from the investors? I hope you think about human rites of those investor who you don't have any stake on their investments or your political manifestation is to make every Nigerians poorer in the world ? Where are the Houses provided for Nigerians by the government and the passentages of Housing provided before you sift the responsibility to those who it is not concerned. Mr Fasola you are their to provide good enabling environment to make life more easy for Nigerians with the government Resource not to bring down the middle class down to poorer or unnecessary conflict and unrest among nigerians through alnacting of unessesary law .when government had failed it's positions.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Keep Your Blood Money, Shehu Garba Tells Reno Omokri / . / Nigerians Will Feel Better Under Osinbajo’s Presidency – Financial Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.