Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar (417 Views)

Households, Restaurants Switch To Charcoal, Firewood As Gas Price Hits The Roof / Oil Prices Soar After Iran Attacks Airbases Housing US Troops In Iraq - CNN / Breaking : Price Of Kerosene Up 10.8% As Cooking Gas Drops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar by Shehuyinka: 5:26pm On Oct 22, 2021
NIGERIANS are beginning to shift to dirty fuels such as sawdust and charcoal as the prices of cooking gas, also known as Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), continue to rise.

The price of LPG in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) increased from an average of N4,800 for a 12.5kg cylinder in June to about N7500-N8000 in October.

In Lagos, two persons who bought gas between early and mid-October said they paid N6,400 and N7,200 respectively. The price was below N5,000 in June, they said.

The 10.5 kg of gas costs N6,300 to N6,500 in Abuja. Same in Lagos.

A resident of Port Harcourt Johnson Wogu said he bought 10.5kg at N6,000 in late September 2021.

Acccording to warnings by gas marketers, the 12.5kg of gas is likely to cost N10,000 in the coming weeks.

Sarah Adejo, who lives in Piwoyi, Abuja, told The ICIR that she had newly acquired a charcoal stove with which she prepares food that consumes more gas such as beans.

“I don’t cook beans with gas anymore. I bought a charcoal stove and I use it to cook food that takes time to cook, like beans,” she said.

Yetunde Alade is a mother of three who lives in Mpape. She is considering the same option as Adejo and said it had been difficult keeping up with the steady increase in the price of the product.

A caterer Ebere Onyeali told The ICIR that she had resorted to use of charcoal for her cooking, stressing that most of her customers would not be able to pay beyond N400 per plate of food if she decided to raise the price.
“Charcoal is cheaper for me. The only difference is that I have to wake up very early to cook because charcoal takes time to get the food done.”
She urged the government to come up with incentives to ensure that price of gas was affordable to the common man.
Pape, Abuja-based Usman Aliyu, said he had moved to sawdust, which he could easily acquire with N1,000.
Tochukwu Ezemba, a resident of Onitsha in Anambra State, said his family now uses kerosene stoves, which it had abandoned five years ago.
“We use kerosene stoves now. We also have a ‘saw dust stove.’ The problem with them, however, is that they waste a lot of time. Also, the sawdust stove emits a lot of smoke.”

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/nigerians-shift-to-charcoal-sawdust-others-as-cooking-gas-prices-soar/

Re: Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar by TarOrfeeek: 5:28pm On Oct 22, 2021
Candle!!!!

If you light 8 candles and put it inside your stove. You can use it to cook Indomie and Egg 5 times.

Don't ask me how I know. angry

May thunder continue to fire the Person responsible for our suffering.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar by Karlifate: 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
Candle!!!!

If you light 8 candles and put it inside your stove. You can use it to cook Indomie and Egg 5 times.

Don't ask me how I know. angry

May thunder continue to fire the Person responsible for our suffering.

Re: Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar by WibusJaga: 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2021

Nigerians were once said to be the happiest people on earth. They will always adjust to accommodate any level of hardship. God dey, E go better, it is well, my case is different...
Let the Suffering & Smiling continue.
Re: Nigerians Shift To Charcoal, Sawdust, Others As Cooking Gas Prices Soar by rottable(m): 6:05am On Oct 23, 2021
I hope we are all enjoying the change we voted?

Let's calm down, Mr Change still has 2 years left.

(1) (Reply)

3 Tips To Stay Up To Date With The Most Recent Fashion Trends / Keep Your Orders For A Business Plan/proposal Coming In! / How To Earn Money Online Without Working For It (earning Proofs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.