Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Fire Arms In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fire Arms In Nigeria (613 Views)

Troops Sack IPOB/ESN Enclave In Asaba, Capture Fighter, Fire Arms / Soldiers Kill 3 Bandits, Recover Arms In Zamfara (Graphic Photos) / President Buhari Signs Executive Order Revoking All Fire Arms License. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire Arms In Nigeria by waldigit: 6:53am On Oct 23, 2021
Please lawyers and security people in the house, what are the types of fire arm allowed for self defense in Nigeria. And what is procedure to get licence to aquire them.
Re: Fire Arms In Nigeria by khadaffi(m): 7:00am On Oct 23, 2021
Please always do a search before opening a thread. This question have been asked severally here and it has also been answered. No weapon is licensed for self defense in Nigeria. In Nigeria the security agencies are to protect you. Those private individuals that have guns in Nigeria are hunters and only hunting weapons can be licensed for them such as Dane guns, pump action etc. Recently another category of civilians with weapons are the vigilante. So either you are a vigilante or a hunter you are not allowed to brandish weapon in public else you will be arrested.
Re: Fire Arms In Nigeria by waldigit: 8:46am On Oct 24, 2021
khadaffi:
Please always do a search before opening a thread. This question have been asked severally here and it has also been answered. No weapon is licensed for self defense in Nigeria. In Nigeria the security agencies are to protect you. Those private individuals that have guns in Nigeria are hunters and only hunting weapons can be licensed for them such as Dane guns, pump action etc. Recently another category of civilians with weapons are the vigilante. So either you are a vigilante or a hunter you are not allowed to brandish weapon in public else you will be arrested.
Humm! Quite educative, many thanks.
Yet I can't reconcile this with "right to self defence". It means it doesn't exist when you are under fire arm attack. It sounds as if we are put in a cage.

1 Like

Re: Fire Arms In Nigeria by khadaffi(m): 12:42pm On Oct 24, 2021
waldigit:

Humm! Quite educative, many thanks.
Yet I can't reconcile this with "right to self defence". It means it doesn't exist when you are under fire arm attack. It sounds as if we are put in a cage.

This is the position in Nigeria. Unfortunately anytime this argument comes up I am always in support that decent and law abiding Nigerians should be given weapons to protect themselves because personally I believe that if violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police and he fears neither law court or judge. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.

(1) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: Saraki Campaign Posters Flood Abuja Streets / 2023 Election: Corrupt Elites Don’t Want Another Buhari – Presidency / BOLA TINUBU: My Role In The Presidential Election Of Chief MKO Abiola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.