Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,651 members, 7,958,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:27 AM

Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It (7884 Views)

What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job / How I Chose The Wrong Job / Having A Mentor Can Upgrade Your Career. Here's How. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by kunleiky(m): 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
GboyegaD:
The issue is that every career/job has its challenges. Just find what gives you happiness that you can cope with and you love to wake up to do.

Exactly
Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by Olatheo(m): 8:22pm On Oct 25, 2021
Yes and No, I love what u studied (Electrical Engineering) but the issue of no Job is turning me to frustrated guy everyday. Please help me with anything to eat I beg cry
Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by kunleiky(m): 8:32pm On Oct 25, 2021
Asour:

If you're really a good Data scientist,
Why not consider sourcing remote jobs from Stack overflow, Appsilon or Crossover for work.
You should try it.
Thanks for your vital advice.
I've actually now started applying on those platforms including Angellist.

1 Like

Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by Oiza131(f): 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2021
Encoredme:
If you're not happy with your career, it's hard to pinpoint what you might want to do instead. But as long as the job gives you a sense of purpose and fulfilment, sticking around may be the best option for now.

Here's how to figure out if you're in the wrong career, and what to do next.
1. Look for careers that are similar to your current job
If you're not happy with what you do, it's tempting to assume there must be something wrong with the career. But sometimes, it's simply the job itself that you don't like. If you start to look at other careers that are similar to what you currently do, you might find one that strikes a chord with what you want to do next. Do some research on the internet and talk to any contacts you may have in that space to get an idea of what the career is like in reality.

2. Consider taking a course in something related to your field
Many careers are not directly related to what you studied or do now. There may be other opportunities that are more aligned with your interests but have less of an obvious connection with the job you have now. It might be worth looking at a course that is related to your current job, even though it's not directly related to the field you do now.

3. Take a vacation from work and try something new
It may be just that you need a break from the constant activities and tasks of your job to experience something new and different. It may be the catalyst you need to find a more interesting career path or give you a stronger connection to your job.
If you're in your job because you feel trapped, it might be time to take a break from the routine. Try taking one month off and trying something new. For example, if you have been working for two years as a product designer at a tech company and have gotten quite used to the monotony of the job, taking a vacation will do a lot of wonders to reawaken your senses and make work exciting again.

4. Find out about other careers that you might like
Another way to find a new career is by finding out what others who do similar jobs do and their salary compared with yours. If you want to become an architect, for example, there are public forums you can ask to know what architects earn and if it is a good decision to make a career switch.

In conclusion, don't be afraid to ask for help when you feel stuck. Seek someone experienced that you can talk to and who is willing to guide you in making the right decisions.

Source: https://www.thejobhunch.com/article/are-you-in-the-wrong-career-here%E2%80%99s-how-to-tell-and-what-to-do-about-it
I've always wanted and liked to teach; children precisely. Because of the passion for teaching children, I decided to combine my subject area with education. I don't want to say I'm regretting sha because deep down, I feel good teaching kids. So I'd say I'm in the wrong place, in fact wrong country!!!. Looking forward to pursuing a career in a different field. undecided

1 Like

Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by jojothaiv(m): 9:11pm On Oct 25, 2021
We don't have CLASSICS in Nigerian Universities so guy man gatz settle something else..

PHILOSOPHY has been our consolation however we'll be leaving the country to go face wetin guy man reason with God from the beginning.

Funny enough, na middle man biz dey sustain man now
Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by Valdex(m): 10:51am On Oct 26, 2021
Unfortunately, nowadays you should not only choose a job based on your dreams. Your choice mainly depends on the benefits a new job offers, such as salary for example…
Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by Encoredme(m): 8:13pm On Oct 28, 2021
kunleiky:
nice one @OP
Well, there's no wrong or right career. I have noticed that we downplayed the role of passion a lot. A popular musician today could have just done well in a professional career but passion drive them into music anyways, so also for football.
I studied accounting, practiced briefly and I told myself boy, this is not what you want to do for the rest of your life.
Does it mean people are not enjoying accounting? No. But if they've got no passion for it then they most likely won't remain there too.
I have my good colleague who just finished his Masters in Economics, but believe me he's currently learning software development at Decagon. I suspect he's not enjoying Economics too. Or should we say he's being candid with himself that tech is breaking barriers and it's the future.
I quite agree with you. Sometimes it is the passion for something new and different that compels people to switch careers. Other times they are bored and plain tired of their current career and they want something new. While for some others like me, it is the financial incentive.

1 Like

Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by kunleiky(m): 11:34pm On Oct 28, 2021
Encoredme:

I quite agree with you. Sometimes it is the passion for something new and different that compels people to switch careers. Other times they are bored and plain tired of their current career and they want something new. While for some others like me, it is the financial incentive.
Yea, absolutely
Re: Are You In The Wrong Career? Here’s How To Tell And What To Do About It by Arobake: 3:09pm On Dec 19, 2021
Wonderful career projection/trajectory
Holumhidey:
I was born a pilot
I was forced to read pharmacy
And now I'm a womanizer

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Make $27 Now. Free.in My Paid Survey Sites: / UCH Ibadan Calls For Recrutment Exam, ::: What To Expect? / Beware Of 634A Adeyemo Alakija Victoria Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.