Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,006 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Nigerian Fintech Companies Shame, Threaten Customers For Late Payment Of Loans - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Fintech Companies Shame, Threaten Customers For Late Payment Of Loans (331 Views)

CBN Partners With Bitt Inc For eNaira, Shuns Nigerian Fintech Companies / Nigerian Fintech Companies Shame, Threaten Customers For Late Payment Of Loans / Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Fintech Companies Shame, Threaten Customers For Late Payment Of Loans by Shehuyinka: 12:08pm On Oct 28, 2021
YETUNDE Adewole lost her phone in June. She got a replacement weeks later, including a new SIM card and everything went back to normal.

She didn’t give a thought to the missing phone or the SIM card until rumours started flying around in July.

Yetunde owed money. An online loan fintech company was sending WhatsApp and text messages to everyone in Yetunde’s inner circle that she was a debtor and fraudster.

Her close friends, former schoolmates, and work colleagues received these messages, three or four times daily.

Read also
NITDA imposes N10 million fine on Soko Loan for data privacy invasion

SPECIAL REPORT: How inefficiency, lack of transparency flaw CBN’s N50bn COVID-19 loan to small businesses

Over 40 countries are demanding Nigeria’s sickle cell drug – NIPRD DG

How fintech loan sharks in Nigeria cyberbully, trap customer in debt

“I tried explaining to everyone on my contact list, whom I could get in touch with, that I didn’t take any loan from the online loan company and it has not been easy trying to clear my name for something I didn’t do.

“It was a really traumatic experience. My biggest regret was failing to block the line when my phone went missing,” she told The ICIR.

Yetunde had never taken a loan from an online loan app, but she failed to block her SIM card after her phone went missing.

If a missing phone fell into the hands of a scammer, a transaction could be done on the account of the phone owner without his or her knowledge.

All the scammer who picked up Yetunde’s SIM card needed to do was, download the online loan app, enter a fictitious financial detail, and let the algorithm generate a credit rating.

The fintech creditor usually asks for permission to access the contacts on the SIM card before the loan is approved, a process that takes barely an hour.

The scammer used Yetunde’s SIM card to take multiple loans from several online loan apps which included: NairaPlus, EasyCredit, TrueNaira, GoCash, CashLion and LCredit.

One month after, the online loan companies hounded Yetunde’s contacts, saying her payments for the loan was due.

She later reported the case to the law enforcement authorities and got a Police report and written affidavit.

The Police assured her of their intervention, promising that the messages by the fintech creditors to people on her contact list would cease.

Two weeks later, her friends still sent her screenshots of the threat messages by the fintech loan companies.

For thousands of Nigerians like Yetunde, whose identities were stolen by scammers, the online loan companies helped to publicly shame them without properly vetting their identities.

A data-sharing breach

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/nigerian-fintech-companies-shame-threaten-customers-for-late-payment-of-loans/

(1) (Reply)

Breaking Nnamdi Okonkwo Appointed GMD Of Fbnholdings As U.K. Eke Retires / Bitcoin Intellectuals Pls Step In , Thanks / How To Make Your First N150,000 On Your Smartphone In 29 Days Or Less…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.