Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio (351 Views)

How To Deactivate Palmpay Security Plugin That Appears When You Default A Loan / How Does A Credit Card Works? / Have Government Ever Default Paying Treasury Bills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio by davien(m): 1:42pm On Oct 28, 2021
I want to create credit default swap positions on several areas of Nigerian finance can someone post here the minimum requirements and the financial agencies that allow such?

1 Like

Re: I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio by einsteine(m): 6:32pm On Oct 28, 2021
davien:
I want to create credit default swap positions on several areas of Nigerian finance can someone post here the minimum requirements and the financial agencies that allow such?

You can't.

I am guessing you watched The Big Short recently.

There are no swaps traded in Nigeria and even globally, you can't trade CDS without an ISDA.

I am guessing you don't have an ISDA.

The only derivatives traded in Nigeria are simple warrants, FX options and non deliverable forwards and they are mostly for hedging purposes by banks. For example, a bank may give out fcy loans to an importer and if the importer is paying back lcy, they will hedge the position with a non deliverable forward.

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio by davien(m): 7:01pm On Oct 28, 2021
einsteine:

You can't.

I am guessing you watched The Big Short recently.

There are no swaps traded in Nigeria and even globally, you can't trade CDS without an ISDA.

I am guessing you don't have an ISDA.

The only derivatives traded in Nigeria are simple warrants, FX options and non deliverable forwards and they are mostly for hedging purposes by banks. For example, a bank may give out fcy loans to an importer and if the importer is paying back lcy, they will hedge the position with a non deliverable forward.

You're right, I did watch the big short and I'm looking to see if there are options like that in Nigeria. Aren't there offshore financial markets that hedge foreign markets?

1 Like

Re: I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio by einsteine(m): 8:16pm On Oct 28, 2021
davien:
You're right, I did watch the big short and I'm looking to see if there are options like that in Nigeria. Aren't there offshore financial markets that hedge foreign markets?

You can buy credit default swaps on foreign markets through bulge bracket IBs as the market makers but they won't deal with you unless you have an ISDA agreement which comes with huge capital requirements.

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Credit Default Swap Portfolio by Cortexhills99: 1:55pm On Oct 29, 2021
Am a Novice my senior colleagues, please what's ISDA

(1) (Reply)

The Trade House Abuja / FPSO Catches Fire And Sinks Offshore Nigeria / Time To Embrace Decentralisation As CBN Plans To Stop Sale Of Forex To Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.