Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker (4690 Views)

President Obama Sheds Tears While Discussing Executive Orders For Fire Arms(pix) / NOI Regrets Being Grouped With "Group Of The Corrupt" / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Babasessy(m): 1:46am On Jun 04, 2011
Bankole sheds tears, regrets being Speaker

Legislative aides moving out the office equipment of the lawmakers after the valedictory session yesterday. Bankole (right) in pensive mood after the sitting. Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Dimeji Bankole, broke down in tears while delivering his valedictory speech yesterday. He also expressed regrets for accepting the speakership position when it was offered to him in 2007.

Amidst sobs, which made him to abadon his prepared speech, Bankole said he regretted accepting the position of the speaker and that if he had his way, again, he would have rejected the offer. He said: “When Hon. Halim Agoda called me to his house, to inform me that I was to be made speaker and prayed for me, I should have rejected the position.” He acknowledged the fact that lots of mistakes were made in the course of leading the out-gone legislative session, because mistakes, according to him, are bound to be made. However, he noted that there was no circumstance that God could not change.

On the achievements of the House, he recalled that the lower chamber passed many resolutions and amended the constitution just as it was able to set up the National Assembly Budget Office after 10 years. He said he would not lay any blame on the press for all the reports that were published about the House and him, either negative or positive, because “the day the press stops writing about a person or an institution, that person or institution should be seen as dead.”

While advising returning lawmakers, he said they should be prepared to ask themselves if they have the same motivation after four years in the House, because they will be abused and battered before the end of the four-year term. Meanwhile, the House of Representatives at the valedictory session took a retroactive action by adopting a motion in which the members unanimously acquitted the former speaker, Mrs. Patricia Etteh, of any wrong doing in the N628m house renovation scandal. Etteh was forced to resign as Speaker of the House on October 30, 2007 over alleged renovation contract of her official residence and that of her deputy, Babangida Nguroje. The former Speaker had, at the session, drawn the attention of the members to the scandal and allegations made against her which she said still stigmatised her till date. She said she had never stolen any money belonging to the parliament or anybody and recalled that she set up a committee to probe the allegation before her exit, but nothing came out of it. Yet reports have it that she had stolen money.

Etteh as part of her valedictory speech challenged the management of the House to come up with any document that indicted her in the alleged contract scam. “I want to challenge this House and the Clerk who was the Legal Adviser of this National Assembly then to come up with any record that indicted me in the scandal,” she said. She asked the House to pass a resolution exonerating her of the allegation levelled against her and consequently, her resignation. Etteh explained that as speaker of the House of Representatives, she did not steal a penny which belonged to the House. According to her, what was referred to as scandal was false, saying that the 6th National Assembly started on a bad note. She said that there was no decision she took as speaker without the consent of members of the House. She urged the house to pass a resolution on whether she was guilty or not so that it could be on record. She said the House of Representatives started on a wrong note and advised that the wrongs of the past be corrected. The former speaker who will not be returning to the House urged those who were re-elected to lead by example and not take advantage of the new members.

Consequently, chairman, House Committee on Rules and Business, Ita Enang, moved a motion to put it on record of the house that the former speaker was never indicted of any wrong doing. The motion was unanimously adopted when put to a voice vote. Enang said that it should be put on record of the House that no record or any proceedings of the House indicted Etteh of any wrong doing. “Let it be put on record that no record or proceedings of this House at any time indicted Honourable Patricia Etteh,’’he said.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/13446.html
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Jun 04, 2011
Babasessy:

Bankole sheds tears, regrets being Speaker

Legislative aides moving out the office equipment of the lawmakers after the valedictory session yesterday. Bankole (right) in pensive mood after the sitting. Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Dimeji Bankole, broke down in tears while delivering his valedictory speech yesterday. He also expressed regrets for accepting the speakership position when it was offered to him in 2007.

I really hope no gullible person out there is buying this nonsense. What is he saying now? The position made him do it? undecided undecided
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by HighChief4(m): 3:01am On Jun 04, 2011
This dude Bankole will never cease to amaze me, he is a failure and posterity will judge him harshly
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by tpia5: 4:52am On Jun 04, 2011
the picture looks photoshopped.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by zstranger: 5:25am On Jun 04, 2011
Nevertheless, still the best speaker we've ever had, and maybe the best we will ever have.

Long live Bankole!
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by blacksta(m): 6:32am On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

Nevertheless, still the best speaker we've ever had, and maybe the best we will ever have.

Long live Bankole!

Are u sure -
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by blacksta(m): 6:36am On Jun 04, 2011
Upon all the money stolen . I guess a thief is forever a thief - The guy dey even steal parliament computers
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 04, 2011
punk all that ro tae woo fake tears won't work here

fecking bastid this - best speaker ever told us that generator vendors must be protected - apparently their business is more important than the lives , comfort and aspirations of nigerians
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Rhino5dm: 6:47am On Jun 04, 2011
Those are 'super computers' remember they were bought @ 1.2 million per piece! even the computer mouse has a 4gig RAM on it. Lmao!

He should have been shot on sight like a wild animal.

blacksta:

Upon all the money stolen . I guess a thief is forever a thief - The guy dey even steal parliament computers
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by zstranger: 7:04am On Jun 04, 2011
blacksta:

Are u sure -

So which of the other speakers is better than Bankole?
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by HolyMalam1: 7:14am On Jun 04, 2011
BAnkole na good man in the mist of haram looters,May Almaighty Allah delivery him from the hand of EFCC,.

want to challenge this House and the Clerk who was the Legal Adviser of this National Assembly then to come up with any record that indicted me in the scandal,” she said. She asked the House to pass a resolution exonerating her of the allegation levelled against her and consequently, her resignation. Etteh explained that as speaker of the House of Representatives, she did not steal a penny which belonged to the House. According to her, what was referred to as scandal was false, saying that the 6th National Assembly started on a bad note. She said that there was no decision she took as speaker without the consent of members of the House. She urged the house to pass a resolution on whether she was guilty or not so that it could be on record. She said the House of Representatives started on a wrong note and advised that the wrongs of the past be corrected. The former speaker who will not be returning to the House urged those who were re-elected to lead by example and not take advantage of the new members.

Well e no matter whether you chop money or not !!
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by emekagh(m): 7:37am On Jun 04, 2011
zstranger:

Long live Bankole!

Yes oooo, may he live long in jail! Thieving bast/ard
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by emekagh(m): 7:44am On Jun 04, 2011
blacksta:

In broad daylight! Shameless boy.
Thieving is so wired into his gene/dna that he does it without ruse.

If he truly regrets his action, he can start by donating those stuff he is taking home to National Assembly, confess his crimes, then refund all the monies he stole, and the give himself up for trial and justice.

Otherwise, he should reverse those crocodile tears for jail.

The insults is least of his headache. Bank Ole!
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by mbulela: 10:40am On Jun 04, 2011
RESTITUTION

now that you have regretted and repented, complete the circle by returning every penny you looted,knowingly or unknowingly.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by kasiem(m): 10:44am On Jun 04, 2011
God, is this fool cos of efcc?
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Egbagirl(f): 6:48am On Jun 05, 2011
tpia@:

the picture looks photoshopped.

Right? I agree w you.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 05, 2011
What's up with Nigerian politicians and their eye problem?

Dont we have hospitals in Nigeria again?
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by congoshine(m): 6:59am On Jun 05, 2011
I think he should be arrested,tried & if found guilty hanged like a common criminal.

(I'm every inch Yoruba)
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by OlokoNla1(m): 8:46am On Jun 05, 2011
ALAKORI! fecking theif! whats he weeping for? what exactly is he weeping for?

road to his fathers house in Alausa Ikeja side was tarred of course based on his influence, his junior sister was creaming all sorts of contracts while he was there, bullshit! ole ajiibole
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by kokoA(m): 8:51am On Jun 05, 2011
May he shed more tears in the years ahead. Rubish!
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by namski(m): 9:19am On Jun 05, 2011
zstranger:

Long live Bankole!

People like you are the ones I just don't know how to respond to.

Just imagine a country where someone comes and steals public money, tells us he regrets taking up the office that enabled him steal the money and then walks away without returning his loot. And then another crazed woman, Etteh, moving for the house to exonerate her from from any wrong doing one the basis that she sought the house consent  for stu pidly spending over N600m on house renovation. Just tell me which other country in the world where this sought of thing goes on?
Unfortunately, we have the weakest person in the world as a president, so nothing will ever happen to these people. So is it not time we all took to the streets to demand better governance and management of our resources, time for justice to be brought against these thieving generation of silly politicians, time to remind Goodluck Jonathan that whether he sees Nigerians as either having voted him into office or that he and his PDP rigged him into office, that certain things are required of him.

We cannot be on-lookers anymore or sidon 'toothless bulldogs' and watch these imbeciles steal our country into complete dryness.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by kulutempa: 9:45am On Jun 05, 2011
zstranger:

Long live Bankole!

So if your best friend steals your money and sleeps with your wife he would still remain your best friend?   I doff my hat to you!
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by olawalebabs(m): 10:21am On Jun 05, 2011
He came, he saw but may be he conqure is a topic for another day he still have more years ahead of him
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by segunjowo(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2011
Bankole should be in prison already. EFCC is picking him up tomorrow, to a JAIL of no return.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by babaowo: 10:33am On Jun 05, 2011
can this guy called (bank- ole) go to jail in naijja ?
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Eziachi: 10:34am On Jun 05, 2011
zstranger:

Long live Bankole!

Of course Mr big wisdom, in the land of the monkeys, a chimpanzee will always look like a supermodel in among the baboons.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by ufumes(m): 11:32am On Jun 05, 2011
mbulela:

RESTITUTION

now that you have regretted and repented, complete the circle by returning every penny you looted,knowingly or unknowingly.
lol
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by chixman: 11:37am On Jun 05, 2011
Bonkole should thought a severe lesson todeter others from in such dubious and selfish interest,

again this should be a lesson to perents to know the kind of names they give to their sons.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 05, 2011
this country called nigeria is full of drama, i no dey laugh ooooooooo because it ain't funny.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by ak47mann(m): 2:52pm On Jun 05, 2011
bankole is a criminal Jonathan good luck must let efcc to do their job and pls we don't need this kind of greed in Nigeria poor country like Nigeria for that matter undecided what is he doing with 1billion dollars didnt he know 1billion$$$$$$ will fix the whole off S/W roads and schools and hospitals talk about greed to the highest level cool
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 05, 2011
ak47mann:

bankole is a criminal Jonathan good luck must let efcc to do their job and pls we don't need this kind of greed in Nigeria poor country like Nigeria for that matter undecided what is he doing with 1billion dollars didnt he know 1billion$$$$$$ will fix the whole off S/W roads and schools and hospitals talk about greed to the highest level cool

That money could even extend to curbing the raging HIV/AIDs epidemic in the SE and could even clean up the whole Aba.
If we can get back the money stolen by Bankole, Orji/family, it'll help each region.
Re: Bankole Sheds Tears, Regrets Being Speaker by ak47mann(m): 3:03pm On Jun 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That money could even [b]extend to curbing the raging HIV/AIDs epidemic in the S[/b]E and could even clean up the whole Aba.
If we can get back the money stolen by Bankole, Orji/family, it'll help each region.
madam why will you always referring S/E as the place is full of people with HIV grin keep deceiving yourself when you reach ekiti state try it without tongue you will see i give you 3months you will dry like stock fish grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Real Version Of How Sir Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa Met His Untimely Death In Bayelsa / Amaechi's Hospitals Vs Akpabio's Hospitals. / So It's True That My Mbaka Have Started Meddling With A Renowned Terrorist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.