Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Indian Hospital Conducts First Bariatric Surgery In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Indian Hospital Conducts First Bariatric Surgery In Abuja (1800 Views)

Nigerian Army Conducts Successful Raid On Boko Haram Camps In Borno..photos / Nigeria Conducts Drills To Counter Nuclear Disaster / Jonathan Holds Buhari's Hand So Tight As He Conducts Him Around Aso Villa (photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Indian Hospital Conducts First Bariatric Surgery In Abuja by ektbear: 2:04am On Jun 04, 2011
3 June 2011

Nigeria may have recorded a major break- through in its health care policy following the establishment of a world class hospital with state-of -the-art facility to carter for patient s with life threatening aliment by an Indian Health care expert in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)

Bariatric surgery, is a specializes kind of operation carried out on patients who suffer from obesity.The sugary also carries weight loss help to cure high blood pressure and other common illness associated with sickness.

The birth of the hospital, is first of its kind in the sub Sahara Africa and will bring succor to million of Nigerians who frequently travel overseas in search of medical care for various degrees of illness such as Alzheimer's , Kidney transplant, spinal disorder, Cancer, obesity, diabetes, epilepsy, stoke among others.

The hospital, Primus International Specialty has admitted over 100 patients since it began operation in the FCT and has also carried out successful Bariatric surgeries on about 6 patients who suffer from obesity just within one month of opening for business in Nigeria.

Speaking with Abuja Reel on the feat achieved by the hospital director bariatric and Minimal Access Surgeon Dr. peter s Atul said the operation which is the first in the whole of African Continent last for several hours using modern scientific method .

Atul said the surgery which recorded a 100 per cent success was done by a team of renowned Indian based surgeons including Dr. Yogesn Cautam a Senior Consultant ,and Advisor Minimal Access and Bariatric Surgery who is working with the hospital to provide the best globally accepted hospital services to Nigerians and other Africans in the FCT.

He explained that the Bariatric surgery which is also known as metabolic or weight loss has become necessary especially in country like the United State of America (USA) and Nigeria in order to treat or cure associated diseases such as Diabetes, Hypertension, High blood, etc that are commonly found in people with obesity.

Dr. Atul who disclosed that the country has a high rate of obsessed persons said that the disease has become epidemic and must be tackled with all seriousness.

He also observed that every 1 to 3 patients who were treated in the hospital has obesity and need surgery.

According to him, the disease comes with associated illness such as diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure among others medical disorder, if treated can not only cure the patients but also change the way the individual think.

He said after undergoing the metabolic surgery the patients will not only be cured from the sickness but will also loss about 30kg kilogram of his/her weight within few months.

Speaking further on the bariatric surgery, Atul said "getting this surgery done in Nigeria was a marvelous thing to us, it's like finding a cure I, mean drug for malaria in Africa. We applied the latest method in surgeon, using high quality equipment in the world today, like MRI 1.5 Tesla Spinal CT. etc

Dr Atul who is one among the best surgeons in the world said with the establishment of the hospital in Abuja, Nigeria will soon become a hub in the west African sub region in area of medical care.

He assured that with the quality of equipments and skill-specialized manpower assembled by the hospital, the nation will witness a drastic drop in its capital flight for medical treatment abroad and put to end consistent trips to India, and other advance countries in search of good health care facilities.

The surgeon said "Nigerians and individual citizens of other sister African nation need not to travel else where in search of medical attention again, the quality of services rendered in any other hospital in the world can now be obtain in Nigeria,"he said.

Earlier, chairperson of the hospital, Mrs. Achla Dewan said she was motivated to set up the hospital in Nigeria due to the high number of Nigerians who visits hospitals for proper medical attention.

She also said that most of Nigerians who travelled overseas for proper medical care encounter serious challenges and difficulties.

"My house is close to the Nigerian high commission in India. And most Nigeria come to my hospital in new Delhi India, I have come across many of them on a daily basis so ,I ,asked the question why and they told me that Hospitals in Nigeria lack the kind of facilities to take care of their problems .so, I in a way want to provide the best world class health care services for Nigerians and others without necessary traveling to India or UK."

"There are so much advantages in this, one is that the patient do not need to travel to another country for services that can be found in Karu,be gotten It will also serve the cost of traveling, accommodation because our charges are the same like in our hospitals in India." She emphasized.

She said however, that they we facing major challenge in the areas of infrastructure especially, electricity and called power line to the hospital.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201106030873.html
Re: Indian Hospital Conducts First Bariatric Surgery In Abuja by ektbear: 2:06am On Jun 04, 2011
There is something amusing about this to me. I get a visual of obese politicians who have grown fat from gorging on federal resources being the target demographic for this hospital smiley

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria At War/ Has The Second Civil War Began? / Is Anybody Still In Doubt That Beaf Is Reno Omokri (spokesman To The President) / Secret Of The Seven Sisters - The Black El Dorado (oil) - Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.